HD Episodes - Mistakes and differences

Think you've seen a mistake in a show? Post it here!

Moderator: Big-Will

MephistoWaltz

HD Episodes - Mistakes and differences

Postby MephistoWaltz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:52 pm

Hey everyone. First post here. I took a quick look to see if there was a similar thread, but didn't find one. Apologies if I missed it.

I thought it might be fun to see what all we know of as far as changes in the new HD re-renders that now air (and are shown on iTunes, Hulu, etc). I've just finished watching season 1, but this would apply to anything through season 11 that got re-rendered. Overall, I think they did a tremendous job. It didn't feel like some heartless George Lucas re-imagining where they fixed errors and such. They simply ported over the old project files and reframed the shots. However, their rendering pathway uses newer software now and not everything ported over perfectly. I thought it would be fun to see what other people noticed, and it would actually be nice if some of these bugs were fixed if there's ever a proper blu-ray release.

Most of the changes just caught my eye or I knew from watching the first season a million times as a kid, but I have popped in my DVDs to confirm changes. Anyway:

Intro song - Kenny's lines in the song are from a later season (4 I believe)

Anal Probe - This one was re-scanned from 35mm and looks great, and highly detailed. They didn't seem to get the brightness/color timing to look like the original, but that's not a big deal. What's interesting is that they didn't do as good of a cleanup as for the original SD release. For instance, there are plenty of frames that still have the crew's hands present in the shots: http://i.imgur.com/QrMqzbF.jpg (no big deal).

Weight Gain - In the commentary, Matt and Trey talk a bit about the evolution of the animation, and this one was before things really developed. The eyes and shadows were a bit different. I think the animators went through all the trouble of making the eyes of the main kids look like they did in this specific 1997 episode (no black line between them, no shadow), but it looks like their rendering platform automatically made everyone else look like they do in present day.

The mayor's face doesn't change to upset when her aid makes a joke about Kathy Lee.

Volcano - Randy's arm just floats, disconnected to a body, when it points to the map. Bad re-framing for 16:9 I guess.

Mr. Hanky - The Mayor's voice doesn't have an echo effect when she speaks into the microphone anymore.

Tom's Rhinoplasty - Wendy's flashbacks of Stan now have a hazy effect on them that wasn't there before.

So, nothing huge and none of this is to complain. It's just for the sake of discussion, and wondering if anything else has been spotted. I imagine most other errors would be due to over/under cropping, or possibly audio issues.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: HD Episodes - Mistakes and differences

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Great topic, as I've been noticing this myself.
MephistoWaltz wrote:Anal Probe - This one was re-scanned from 35mm and looks great, and highly detailed. They didn't seem to get the brightness/color timing to look like the original, but that's not a big deal. What's interesting is that they didn't do as good of a cleanup as for the original SD release. For instance, there are plenty of frames that still have the crew's hands present in the shots: http://i.imgur.com/QrMqzbF.jpg (no big deal).
I think they actually put that IN deliberately, so people know that this episode is the only one that was made by hand. The original VHS and DVD releases don't show the hands at all. They also modernized the visitors and the starry background when the kids were out in the forest trying to get Ike back.
MephistoWaltz wrote:Mr. Hanky - The Mayor's voice doesn't have an echo effect when she speaks into the microphone anymore.
The minimalist song Philip Glass played used to actually say something. Now it's just notes.

In "Here Comes The Neighborhood" Token's voice doesn't have an echo effect when he sings anymore.
MephistoWaltz wrote:Tom's Rhinoplasty - Wendy's flashbacks of Stan now have a hazy effect on them that wasn't there before.
Yup. Soft focus plus the stretched-out video echo put behind smartphone video footage on news broadcasts.

In "An Elephant Makes Loves To A Pig" Stan no longer lands on the puddle of water in the living room. There's a looong story behind that.

In "A Million Little Fibers" there was an alien visitor waiting by an ambulance during Geraldo Rivera's report on Oprah's minge holding people hostage. The alien visitor is not in the same scene in the rerendered version.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
MephistoWaltz

Postby MephistoWaltz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 pm

Great response, thanks! Exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for.
Big-Will wrote: I think they actually put that IN deliberately, so people know that this episode is the only one that was made by hand. The original VHS and DVD releases don't show the hands at all. They also modernized the visitors and the starry background when the kids were out in the forest trying to get Ike back.
Eh, I think I agree with you when it comes to the contrast being different (makes it look more like paper), but I think the hand and stuff are probably a mistake. I have some experience with cleaning up 35mm film and it seems like this just isn't completely cleaned. There don't seem to be issues with dirt and scratches (and they probably would have wanted the random extra construction paper) but the hands I'm not so such about. If you apply overly aggressive automatic cleanup techniques, you end up losing a lot of detail in your video (in this case, it could diminish the construction paper effect), so it might have just not had the manual attention needed. There are also some issues with flickering that is related to the scan itself.

Also, for your second point, it's worth remembering that any of the shots that weren't in the unaired pilot are digital ones and not paper. This includes the visitors talking to the cows. The difference between paper and CG is much more striking in HD, though, of course! Interestingly, the Pilot scene that got reused in "Elephant Makes Love..." was actually re-done in CG for the HD version of that episode instead of using the original 35mm elements. I don't think we've seen any evidence that the shots unique to the pilot have been scanned in HD. For that matter, we don't know if the original negative exists or if there is just the positive print that may only have the Episode 1 footage. I'd love to know if Matt and Trey still have the original 35mm elements for the pilot and Spirit of Christmas so that we could one day see them in HD. It would also be interesting if they have the 8mm Frosty film. Wouldn't really have HD detail, but a nice scan would be better than all the worn out VHS transfers on youtube.
Big-Will wrote: The minimalist song Philip Glass played used to actually say something. Now it's just notes.
Ah, that's a good call. I just watched that and felt like something was different but couldn't figure it out.
Big-Will wrote: In "Here Comes The Neighborhood" Token's voice doesn't have an echo effect when he sings anymore.
Big-Will wrote: Yup. Soft focus plus the stretched-out video echo put behind smartphone video footage on news broadcasts.
I wonder if this is a case of some of the footage only existing as rendered video rather than project assets? From what I recall, though some of the material was from episodes, a few of the shots were unique here, right? Shots that were heavy in effect rendering such as the Volcano educational video are just upscaled SD. Perhaps they were trying to hide SD in this case.
Big-Will wrote: In "An Elephant Makes Loves To A Pig" Stan no longer lands on the puddle of water in the living room. There's a looong story behind that.
Hmm. I know there's the censorship issue of the fire/water, but I thought stan was still in the puddle in HD. Will give it another look. Either way, that's a case of 'fixing' that they don't normally do with their HD project.
Big-Will wrote: In "A Million Little Fibers" there was an alien visitor waiting by an ambulance during Geraldo Rivera's report on Oprah's minge holding people hostage. The alien visitor is not in the same scene in the rerendered version.
Sounds like perhaps a case of reverting to the wrong saved project. I didn't know if we'd get anything later. Most of the changes seem to be in Season 1. Makes sense, as the project files are probably least compatible with their modern pipeline and need the most manual attention. There was also a case of George Bush being re-recorded with a proper impersonation in an episode that was previously just Trey doing his go-to voice.

Another "fixed" shot I've noticed is the first shot of Cartman in Weight Gain. He previously had a continuity error with his gloves being on, but it was fixed.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Another thing to note is that Wendy's memories were not re-rendered. I like to think they did that so people remember how the eps used to look when they look back over the show's history.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
MephistoWaltz

Postby MephistoWaltz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:04 am

Big-Will wrote:Another thing to note is that Wendy's memories were not re-rendered. I like to think they did that so people remember how the eps used to look when they look back over the show's history.
Yes. I was speculating that the reason was that for some of it they might not have the original files and obscured the upscale with that effect. Hard to say anything with certainty, though.
MephistoWaltz

Postby MephistoWaltz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Big-Will wrote:Another thing to note is that Wendy's memories were not re-rendered. I like to think they did that so people remember how the eps used to look when they look back over the show's history.
Ugh. They did the same thing to all the great flashbacks in City on the Edge of Forever. It's really poorly done. Will be sticking with the DVD version next time I watch this episode.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 am

Looks like they pulled a George Lucas in a few scenes, something they got on his case for doing to his movies in "Free Hat."

MephistoWaltz

Postby MephistoWaltz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:35 am

Big-Will wrote:Looks like they pulled a George Lucas in a few scenes, something they got on his case for doing to his movies in "Free Hat."
Yeah. Part of the fun was that the scenes looked like they could be right out of the original episode and looked identical, until they turned out different. Now it looks like someone smeared vaseline on the "lens".

Regardless of the effect, the fact that it's SD material is still confusing to me. I'm trying to think of a technical reason for it, like why they would specifically not have those assets/project files anymore. Can't come up with anything. Laziness, maybe? Thinking that if they're going to put the dreamy effect on it, who even cares if it's HD? I find that hard to convince myself of, given just how bad the picture quality is.

Still seems more likely to me that the hazy effect was used to cover up the SD video. Just can't figure out why they wouldn't/couldn'y re-render it.
MephistoWaltz

Postby MephistoWaltz » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:49 pm

At the end of Mexican Staring Frog, when Jesus tells everyone to chill out, there is a line where his mouth doesn't move. Need to check the DVD, still, but I don't remember it.

Also worth pointing out: The season first 7 episodes of Season 12, on blu-ray, are simply cropped to 16:9 instead of re-framed properly.

At some point I'll organize everything into a nicer list in the first post, but I'd still like to collect more info if other people end up chiming in.
JVM

Postby JVM » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 am

Someone pointed out to me a while ago that in "The Jeffersons" from season 8, you can see Scott Malkinson in the cotton candy line in a part of the shot not available in standard definition. Since he has diabetes, this is probably intentional. I'm not knocking the joke, but I'd definitely call it the most... retroactive change I've yet seen.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled but haven't spotted much else of serious interest yet.
OFFICIAL WIKI MODERATOR :D
My Fanfics | My Fanart | My Wiki Talk Page | My Inbox | My SP Forum
Favorite Characters: Kenny and family, Stan, Wendy, Tweek, Kevin Stoley, Mephesto, Pip (RIP)
Favorite Episode: "The List" (s11e14)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:09 pm

True. :o

mrSimon

Postby mrSimon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:25 pm

I've been putting together a few videos giving this a look. Here's everything significant I've spotted so far. =).. and I'm going to green bold any significant new content, and red bold anything that pisses me off. <3

Season 1 opening sequence
  • Mr Hankeys face has been revised. (Original Season 1 introduction had a Mr Hankey with regular South Park eyes)
  • Jimbos gun doesn't fire.
  • The lines "humble folks without temptation" and "people spouting howdy neighbour" have been resynced.
  • The Mayors cameraman wears a grey shirt instead of green.
  • During Cartmans shot, the background buildings have been horizontally shifted
  • The Spirit of Christmas has been horizontally flipped, so Santa faces left instead of right.
  • Kyles 'kick the baby' animation has been removed. Kyle wobbles instead, which propels Ike into the air... :S
  • When Ike hits the signpost, the wooden impact sound effect has been replaced with a raspberry.
1x01 Cartman gets an Anal Probe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uG9ob8qdss
  • When Ike arrives at the bus-stop, the composition has been adjusted so that three of the boys rather than 2.1 are visible.
  • The road has been removed from a number of bus-stop shots.
  • During Cartmans alien flashback, the bass has been reduced from the soundtrack.
  • When Cartman looks at an alien at his door, the blue glow has been removed.
  • When Cartman is dragged down a hallway by the aliens, the blur effect surrounding the frame has been removed.
  • When Chef pulls up to the bus-stop in his car, his car is smaller, and his head appears smaller than the boys in the background.
  • The shot of the alien spacecraft taking off has been reanimated.
  • Matt or Treys hand is visible when Kyle says "My little brothers been abducted by aliens" in class.
  • When Cartman says "that's a little joke", the girl sitting behind Cartman has been replaced by Pip.
  • When Cartman farts fire in class, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*. (Particularly noticeable as Mr Garrisons pilot design is used)
  • The shot of the cows queueing for the train has been reanimated.
  • When Cartman farts fire while queueing for lunch + Wendy hands a note to Stan, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • Matt or Treys hand is visible when Chef sings "gonna lay you down by the fire"
  • During Chefs song, Stan saying "Err, Chef?" has been shifted by a few milliseconds.
  • As Chef is finishing his song, the background music continues as Chef sings "Love love love love love, BABY!"
  • When Chef insists that the boys find Ike, Cartmans probe appears and Chef pulls the fire alarm, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • The establishing shot following second commercials has been reanimated.
  • Matt or Treys hand is visible while Kenny is being eaten by rats
  • When Cartman says "Yeah I want Cheesy Poofs!", the audio seems to have been adjusted.
  • When Cartman watches the UFO sighting news report, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When Cartman watches the UFO sighting news report, the reporters inhale has been muted.
  • When Cartman farts fire at kitty, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When Ms. Cartman brings the kids into the house, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When Cartman is tied to the tree and tugs at the rope, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When the alien satellite extends, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When Chef is seen stargazing, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When the cows encounter the aliens, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • The alien subtitles have been restyled, and use the "South Park" credits font.
  • When the two women meet Chef, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
  • When Cartman drops from the sky by the bus-stop, the 90s CG animation has been replaced with stopmotion*.
* = Personally, I can't tell whether these shots are stopmotion shots from the original pilot... new stopmotion shots, or new CG shots with the style of the pilots stopmotion. For instance, the shot of Cartman farting fire at kitty is very convincing. I'd need someone more familiar to share their thoughts.

1x02 Weight Gain 4000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nATkEq8Q9o
  • When the kids walk into class, Pips hair color has been corrected. (Was purple in the original)
  • When Mr Garrison announced the contest winner, a musical cue is played.
  • When Mr Garrison announced that Kathie Lee is to present the award, he gasps.
  • During the Mayors scene where she plans the award ceremony, authoritative music is played.
  • During Mr Garrisons talent contest flashback, the stage behind the curtains is colored navy blue instead of sky blue.
  • When Mayor visits class, a musical cue has been added.
  • When Ms. Cartman leaves to get Weight Gain 4000 from the store, the missing photo from the photo-frame has been added.
  • After Mr Garrison yells "To hell with Kathie Lee", he gasps.
  • When Mayor dismisses Mr Garrison, Stan is visible on the right.
  • When the sun rises and people gather for the ceremony, the men on the left of the frame no longer stand together.
  • When the sun rises and people gather for the ceremony, the blonde woman on the right of the frame has been replaced with a brown-haired woman.
  • When Kyle says "you're not filling out nicely", Kennys blink appears inside his hood rather than outside.
  • When Mr Garrison looks into the mirror with a gun saying "You talkin' to me?", Mr Garrison has been inserted into the side mirrors and animated.
  • When Wendy visits class at night, a giraffe poster has been added to the cabinet on the left.
  • When Wendy examines Cartmans report, the color of her hands have been corrected. (Was black in the original)
  • When Mr Garrison walks through town with a gun, the details on his face have been made bolder.
  • Trees have been added to the sides of the Book Depository.
  • When Officer Barbrady confiscates a camera, the color of his trousers have been corrected. (Was black in the original)
  • When Wendy exclaims that Mr Garrison has a gun to Cartman, Stan has been added to the right of the shot.
  • When Wendy asks Stan for help and Kyle says "Uh-oh, we're losing him", Kyle has been added to the right of the shot and animated with lip-sync.
  • When Kathy Lee drives through South Park, the road has been readjusted.
  • Shots of the crowd by the stage have been reanimated with various fixes. (Broken mouths, waving flags now have hands)
  • Wide shots of the stage include an extended crowd on the left.
  • When Kenny is shot into the air and is impaled by the flagpost, music has been added.
  • When the crowd reply to Wendy with "Who cares?", the road has been removed.
  • When the crowd disperse, various z-depth issues have been corrected (For example, people don't walk between other peoples head and hair)

1x03 Volcano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGpxTiCBKms
  • When Ms. Cartman talks to Cartman through the car window, the grass behind her has been replaced with snow.
  • When Cartman yells "Drive the car damn it drive!", Ms. Cartman has been added to the left of the shot.
  • After Jimbo says "Let's get that testosterone flowing" and Cartman raises his fist at Kenny, he immediately lowers it in the HD remaster.
  • As the car drives up the hill towards the forest, the pan and scan has been removed.
  • During the establishing shot before the first camp-fire scene, a musical cue has been added.
  • When Ned picks up the can of gas, sound effects have been added.
  • When Ned is lit on fire and drops and rolls, his body has been added. (In the original, only his head was visible)
  • During Mayors intercom scene, her body is wider.
  • During the extended dramatic music shot, Mayors shocked eyes have been reduced in size.
  • When Ned scares Cartman with his prosthetic arm, Kyle and Stan have been added to the shot.
  • When Cartman begins to tell his "Scuzzlebutt" story, Stans missing arm and scarf have been added.
  • When Cartman asks "Have you ever seen Step-By-Step?", his missing arm has been added.
  • When Stan is asleep in his sleeping bag, his head is placed behind the bag rather than infront.
  • After Jimbo says to Kenny "I'm making you my honorary nephew" and Stan looks sad, a very clear musical cue has been added.
  • When Chef says "You've gotta help the children", the road has been removed.
  • After Chef says "You've gotta help the children", a musical sting has been added.
  • As Jimbo and the boys search for Cartman dressed as Scuzzlebutt, a large rock has been added to the left ofthe background.
  • When Mayor says "Well what are we waiting for?" to Randy, Randy shuffles to the right, then Mayor looks ahead of her.
  • When Jimbo finds tracks, dramatic music has been added.
  • When the news reporter describes the townspeople preparing the trench, dramatic music has been added.
  • A blur filter has been applied to the "Duck and Cover" film.
  • When Cartman says "I was just trying to scare you guys", his modern design is used instead of his Season 1 design. (Unintentional? =O)
  • When Randy says "My calculations were correct", Mayors mouth resembles her modern design. (Another unintentional mistake? =O)
  • When Mr Garrison exclaims that "South Park is saved!", he has a different expression.
  • When Mayor thanks Scuzzlebutt, her hair color has been corrected. (Was a dark sky blue in the original)
  • After Stan shoots Scuzzlebutt, the side of his head has been replaced with the front in a few shots.
  • After Kenny is shot, the size of the rats that chase him has been corrected. (In the original, they were vertically stretched)
Last edited by mrSimon on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Nice! :)

mrSimon

Postby mrSimon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:06 am

I've given the next episode a look now. Here's what I found.

1x04 Big Gay Als Big Gay Boat Ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQO-CPpq05A
  • After Sparky arrives and Stan says "Sick shut up", a wide shot of all four boys is used instead of a mid-shot of Stan and Kyle.
  • When Jimbo arrives at South Park Elementary and meets Chef, his lipsync has been extended by a second.
  • When Jimbo talks to Chef, Chef has been added and animated on the left of the frame.
  • As Chef dismisses the kids from football practise, a whistle SFX has been added.
  • When Stan attempts to teach Spary not to be gay, Kenny has been added to shots.
  • In the Sports betting hall, a man that floated above a table has been shifted onto the ground.
  • In the Sports betting hall, a wastebin has been added to the far right.
  • In the Sports betting hall, the text on monitors have been replaced.
  • When Jimbo exclaims "Middle-parks gonna get a half time show they'll never forget", music has been added.
  • When the kids a shown outside with the parcel, music has been added.
  • When FiFi jumps out of the box, Kyle has been animated saying "Ooh-la-la".
  • When Jesus is about to start talking about homosexuality, the camera zoom has been removed.
  • When Jesus is cut off by Public Access, the television has been added to the shot.
  • When Sparky runs away from Stans house, a large chunk of scenery is missing on the right.
  • When Chef sings about the football, the aspect ratio on characters has been corrected.
  • When Kyle shots CHEF! during his song, Pip, Kenny and the other Kid has been added. (They were missing in the original).
  • When Jimbo and Ned meet with Carl, the floor is missing from the establishing shot.
  • When Chef and Mr Garrison talk, the aspect ratio on characters has been corrected.
  • When Chef says "You can't keep a gay dog straight tricks", there is a second of broken lipsync.
  • In the snow storm, mist effects have been revised.
  • The "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Animal Sanctuary" sign has a different font.
  • When Stan asks the boys where Sparky is, Kenny has been added to the shot.
  • During the first crowd shot at the football game, the aliens bodies have been made slimmer.
  • During the first crowd shot at the football game, the blonde woman wearing a "GO COWS!" jacket has been replaced with a man with a moustache wearing a cow head jacker.
  • During crowd shots at the football game, Mayors design has been corrected.
  • During crowd shots at the football game, Ms. Cartman no longer holds a plate of cookies.
  • During the crowd shot following the announcement that Kyle will be quarterback, Butters has been replaced with a kid with a similar hairstyle but differnt jacket.
  • During the crowd shot following the announcement that Kyle will be quarterback, a mans "GO COWS!" jacket has been replaced with a cow head jacket.
  • During the first disco shot, the disco lights don't spin as much.
  • During disco shots, the characters appear darker.
  • During disco shots, the disco lights are offset on characters, creating a better sense of depth.
  • During disco shots, the texture has been removed from the floor.
  • When the Cows meet the Middle-Park players, Token and another boy have been added to the shot.
  • When Jimbo exclaims "Hells bells", the grassy background has been replaced with sky.
  • When Stan leaves Big Gay Als Big Gay Animal Sanctuary, a music cue plays.
  • When Jimbo prays to Jesus, the crowd don't appear pixelated.
  • When Stan passese the ball to Kyle, the crowd has been removed.
  • When Stan takes the townspeople to the site of Big Gay Als Big Gay Animal Sanctuary, Cartman stands behind Stan instead of beside him.
  • When Big Gay Al opens his suitcase, the bottom of it has been removed.
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Tue May 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Are you planning on doing more of these? I find them really neat. I'm more curious about the later episodes.
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!

Return to “Did You Notice?”