So I started watching My Little Pony...

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Mamont

Re: So I started watching My Little Pony...

Postby Mamont » Tue May 06, 2014 3:33 am

The fandom of any show can put you off. Especially cartoons.
Ether

Postby Ether » Fri May 09, 2014 12:23 am

I can't stand bronies. I mean, there are some bronies that are generally decent people and I'm even friends with a couple of them, but I've learned to hold a certain kind of disdain towards the fandom for being hypocritical and bigoted in the most blatantly shameless of ways I've ever seen. The fact that the fans are watching a show targeted towards younger girls isn't the issue; it's the ignorant, self-righteous nature of the bronies that grinds my gears. I could talk all night about the many things wrong with the fandom, but all in all, they don't know a whole lot about "love and tolerance".
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:44 am

Ether wrote:I can't stand bronies. I mean, there are some bronies that are generally decent people and I'm even friends with a couple of them, but I've learned to hold a certain kind of disdain towards the fandom for being hypocritical and bigoted in the most blatantly shameless of ways I've ever seen. The fact that the fans are watching a show targeted towards younger girls isn't the issue; it's the ignorant, self-righteous nature of the bronies that grinds my gears. I could talk all night about the many things wrong with the fandom, but all in all, they don't know a whole lot about "love and tolerance".

My personal experience differs, although I know very well what you're talking about. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone watching the show. I might think it's a bit odd, but it's not hurting anyone and doesn't serve as any sort of detriment to anyone's character or integrity.

I'm not close friends with any bronies. At least not to my knowledge. Those I do know who watch the show, at least among the people I know in person as opposed to online, never particularly struck me as hypocritical.

However, because the damn show is all over the internet, I'm sometimes forced to take a look at who's talking. Some of the shit I see, let me tell you...

Actually, let me not. But I will mention one instance where I encountered a couple self-described "bronies" lashing out at another person just because he was a liberal.

I fuckin' shit you not. These are the same people saying some men aren't "manly" enough, ridicule those different from them, and take jabs at people for their sexual orientation.

But they somehow got no issue watching a fuckin' little girl's cartoon about ponies and rainbows.
Buchi04

Postby Buchi04 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Ether wrote:The fact that the fans are watching a show targeted towards younger girls isn't the issue; it's the ignorant, self-righteous nature of the bronies that grinds my gears. I could talk all night about the many things wrong with the fandom, but all in all, they don't know a whole lot about "love and tolerance".

English isn't my native language, so I want to apologize in beforehand that I'm about to violate your grammar =)

Eeyup, you nailed it!

Since I got hooked on mlp back in 2011, I met tons of amazing, kind and nice people. And since the first day until today, one thing is really important to me when I meet new fans: to tell them that they PLEASE never should call me a brony, because I really don't want to be associated with the entire Fandom!
They most common question you get then is:
"Didn't you just tell me you are obsessed with mlp?"
"Yes I did and hell yes I am!"
"So,...you ARE a brony, aren't you?!"

And at this point I'm always trying to explain that you don't become a different person after watching mlp. Or am I also a South-Parkier just because I love it?
It's not a religion, it's not a cult or anything like that.

And when somebody is born as an assh*le, he also will die as one, despite calling himself a Brony.

AND that I give a sh*t about the 'so called' brony motto "love and tolerate"! What is that supposed to mean and why should it even be our slogan?

I always was a very tolerant person, already BEFORE I watched mlp (surprise,surprise), but people have the damn right to hate everything they want!!
Tolerance is the only thing matters.
You're allowed to hate the crying baby sitting next to you on an airplane, or your neighbor, or every senile driver in front of you! ...as long as you tolerate it, everything's fine.

But could you imagine you have to love everything instead? Cause if you do that, you also have to tolerate the cancer you caused by loving even the stick in your ass -.-

Normal people still exists, but since the fandom grew so incredibly fast, you first have to sort out the creeps, the kids, the wannabes, the ignorant, the moralizer, etc. etc.
The problem about finding normal people is, that once they have found each other, they rather meet and/or chat on more private platforms.

[/Rant]

PS: I made a video named 'My little South Park' a while ago, so check it out if your bored ^^ (yeahyeah...self-advertising.... I hate those people to ;) I tolerate them, though... xp)

http://youtu.be/VjxQkAXHCcc

Edit: Waaait a second, didn't we learn this lesson already in south park ? Tolerance camp was the name of this episode, right? I think my brain even quoted parts out of it subconsciously 0.o

Lol, made my day xD
South park taught us this spirit already YEARS ago:
Hate BUT tolerate
THAT'S the right attitude! ....Love and tolerate....pah.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:03 pm

I don't even identify myself as a brony anymore. I prefer to distance myself from that fandom as many of them have taken things to the extreme. It was awesome back in 2011. In general, bronies were laid back, friendly, non-judgmental, tolerant people. That all began to change around 2013. It started with all the sexual fetishes, followed by the dissolution of the "love and tolerate" motto that the brony fandom had been founded upon.

Now, I just watch the show with my fiancée, and I ignore all the drama between bronies and non-bronies. I don't try to force anyone to see the appeal in the show, and I tend to keep my enjoyment of the show on the down-low these days (though I'm not afraid to admit to liking it). Fandoms ruin everything, but the brony fandom has become a special case.

South Park is better anyway. :wink:
kittymccormick

Postby kittymccormick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 am

Have you watched the Bronies documentary? It's really good. They're all so happy and they all get along, and one of the guys stories breaks my heart- he was beaten up and his car was vandalized just because he is a brony. I've watched the first 2 seasons of MLP and I liked it but it never roped me in.
HMPHMMPH HMPHMPH!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 pm

I haven't seen the documentary, but I remember hearing about it when it came out. Don't get me wrong--the brony fandom has some really awesome members who definitely don't deserve the crap they get from narrow-minded asswipes. There are troublemakers are both sides of the aisle. It's part of why I keep my enjoyment of the show on the down-low these days. People go f*cking crazy over the stupidest things.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”