Do you believe in global warming?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

dinal

Postby dinal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:55 am

yeah, I think it's a drection of the change of weather.I fell more and more intensive。
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Anthropogenic carbon dioxide comes from two primary sources:
internal combustion engines
coal-fired power plants

Reduce our reliance on these two energy sources and that's going to cut into the carbon dioxide added to the atmosphere significantly. It's not a complex solution, but it is complex to impliment.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:10 pm

We need to start further developing our renewable resources.. which, although will be a costly process to begin with, it will ultimately save us a lot more than just money in the long run..
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K

Postby S-O-U-T-H-P-A-R-K » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:40 am

im kinda startin to but nah
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:58 am

I'm lucky enough to live close to my job so as I can commute to work on foot. Contrast that with the thousands of people in this city alone that sit in their cars for a half hour or an hour or more each way. That's a very ineffiecent use of both energy and space. If more people (especially in urban areas) made it a point to just live closer to work, that would go a long way towards reducing carbon emissions and America's dependance on foreign (non-Canadian) oil. They don't even have to live with in walking distance to make it better; just a suburb or two closer would help.

I could easily find a cheaper place on the other side of town, but if I had to drive, say, 20 minutes to work every day, that's 40 minutes a day, 3 1/3rd hours every week and over 170 hours a year sitting in my vehicle just going to work. And that doesn't account for any delays from wrecks, construction or weather.

Then there's the cost of that commute. Even with a 30 mpg car, a modest 10 mile commute at 3 bucks a gallon would cost you (carry the one...) $520 every year. Maybe that's a lot for you maybe not, but it's 520 bucks a year I get to keep. Consequently, I can afford to go to more cool places on the weekends.

Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:00 pm

Yes, it does add up unfortunately, which is why another goal in order to make this effective is to try to localize the workforce and resources as much as possible.. for example, instead of buying food shipped from california, such as fruit, if possible try to buy food that is home grown, as this saves in transportation costs and will help to reduce the environmental damage. Also, as we localize (for lack of a better word) cities, jobs can be closer to home, so only a short commute, or even walking, will be possible. Obviously this won't happen over night, and is inconceivable for some areas, but something being done in some areas is better than nothing being done at all.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
huckleberry1234

Re: Do you believe in global warming?

Postby huckleberry1234 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm

yes
noob
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:23 pm

I've heard because of Global Warming that all of the Middle East will have to evacuate, even the Israelis, as it will get so hot that no life will be able to exist there. Could be the secret reason to all of these Middle Eastern bull wars.
What seems to be the officer problem?
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I don't "believe in" global warming. I accept the reality of it. Polar ice is melting at an alarming rate, after all.
StGerris

Postby StGerris » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 pm

Yes and no haha Explaining: it's real the warming, fact, however the common speach often has some flaws and misinformations like the absence of the Earth's natural climate cicle in the discussion, who's really contributing more and some goddamn sensationalism about the consequences to Earth itself when in fact the warming can be in a way good to the planet overall, it's just not good for us. But are we raping the environment? Yes, for sure. And helping our own extinction.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Wow someone necromanced a thread from 9 years ago.

huckleberry1234

Postby huckleberry1234 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm

hah! :> member global warming?
noob
mario88

Postby mario88 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 am

This thread was opened 10 years ago. it's interesting how the perspective has changed since then. I mean, in 2007 you might still have doubts regarding global warming, but we can tell now without the shadow of a doubt that it's something real and affects all of us. We may still discuss whether it's because of smog (very likely), smug (who knows? :mrgreen: ) or something regarding astronomical movements (I have no idea about that) , but regardless of the cause, global warming is a phenomenon we have to deal with.

I also wonder if the scientists who study climates shouldn't change all the world climate maps. I mean, I for one live in Sicily, I remember the Mediterranean climate of my childhood days, but now it's basically a Sub Tropical region. A couple of years ago I planted a passion flower (a typical tropical flower) close to the fence of my garden and it grew magnificently. on the other hand, olive trees seem to have gone mad, alternating one year of massive production and one year of bearing absolutely no fruit.

But worst thing of all and by far is the problem of water: it's not a major problem here atm, but it's going to be a massive, huge problem in all warm areas of the globe in a matter of 20 years tops.
He is the record!
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 am

I strongly believe in global warming. That's why I don't want Donald Trump to make it worse.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

I believe in it, I think the worst is how so many living things are dying off. I don't really believe that we have ruined our planet beyond repair but I know we are losing whole species.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”