any calvin and hobbes fans here?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

plk12345

any calvin and hobbes fans here?

Postby plk12345 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 am

any calvin and hobbes fans on this board?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 am

Here! And I think Jay is one too.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:44 pm

BRMBug wrote:Here! And I think Jay is one too.

cool, i knew sp and c&h shared fans

wasn't there a reference to spaceman spiff in wacky molestation adventure?
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Wed May 23, 2007 12:47 pm

I love those comics...LOL

And yeah there was.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:48 pm

Nommel wrote:I love those comics...LOL

And yeah there was.

you think they would have made it a bit more obvious though.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Wed May 23, 2007 12:58 pm

I LOVE Calvin + Hobbes, so much. I keep on meaning to buy the volumes, but I always forget.

I remember posting a strip up somewhere, but can't remember what thread it was. It was the one where they're in a tent, then Hobbes says to Calvin: "Do you believe in ghosts?", then it shows them trembling in fear. :lol: Well, it was something like that, anyway. My memory is shot, right now.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Jay C wrote:I LOVE Calvin + Hobbes, so much. I keep on meaning to buy the volumes, but I always forget.

I remember posting a strip up somewhere, but can't remember what thread it was. It was the one where they're in a tent, then Hobbes says to Calvin: "Do you believe in ghosts?", then it shows them trembling in fear. :lol: Well, it was something like that, anyway. My memory is shot, right now.

that one is one of my favorites, along with this one

but you have to have read a lot to get the second one
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:07 pm

Calvin and Hobbes is pretty cool.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Wed May 23, 2007 2:17 pm

I've seen some of those comic strips; generally they are funny if I do say so myself.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed May 23, 2007 3:24 pm

The entire collection is at my parents' house. We accumulated them over the years through those Scholastic book order form things they'd pass out in elementary school. Since then, I've read them cover to cover many times.
Bill Waterson was a freakin' genius.

Anybody up for a game of Calvinball? :mrgreen:

You read it! You can't unread it!
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Wed May 23, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm a big Calvin and Hobbes fan. Gotta love a comic strip (or anything for that matter) that treats its audience as if it has both an imagination and a brain.

Bill Watterson, by the way, is from a city about nine minutes from where I was born. Chagrin Falls, Ohio. He refused to merchandize his characters and only ever released strips in papers or book form. I got crazy respect for that.

I read a funny interview with him and he was discussing those "Clavin Pissing on Ford/Chevy/GM" bumper/window stickers you see on trucks and sh*t (those are all unlicensed reproductions without Watterson's permission). He had a funy take on it, though.

"I guess I drastically underestimated the market demand for my Calvin peeing on things."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Wed May 23, 2007 5:53 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:The entire collection is at my parents' house. We accumulated them over the years through those Scholastic book order form things they'd pass out in elementary school. Since then, I've read them cover to cover many times.
Bill Waterson was a freakin' genius.

Anybody up for a game of Calvinball? :mrgreen:

same here, i've read them cover to cover about 5 times each or more. The new collection from 05 is amazing because it has dates and you can read them in friggin order. I'm up for calvinball. No rules, so we can play it online

Aym_Dand wrote:I'm a big Calvin and Hobbes fan. Gotta love a comic strip (or anything for that matter) that treats its audience as if it has both an imagination and a brain.

Bill Watterson, by the way, is from a city about nine minutes from where I was born. Chagrin Falls, Ohio. He refused to merchandize his characters and only ever released strips in papers or book form. I got crazy respect for that.

I read a funny interview with him and he was discussing those "Clavin Pissing on Ford/Chevy/GM" bumper/window stickers you see on trucks and sh*t (those are all unlicensed reproductions without Watterson's permission). He had a funy take on it, though.

"I guess I drastically underestimated the market demand for my Calvin peeing on things."

Yes, while i still wonder what a "calvin and hobbes" television show would be like, i am extremely grateful for his loyalty to the characters and his not being a sellout. Calvin and Hobbes was not meant for anything else other than comics. Any sort of other media would completely destroy

a- calvin and hobbes voice (everyone has their own voice they imagined, i don't tho, i just read the text)
b- the circumstances by which hobbes becomes alive. We all know the problem there :P

Man, i thought watterson would keep his location secret. I've always wanted to contact him somehow, let him know how much i appreciate his work
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Wed May 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Haha, a Calvinball roleplaying thread would be cool. I used to get the books from my middle school library all the time. I'd usually be reading one of them instead of doing my work.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Wed May 23, 2007 6:48 pm

plk12345 wrote:Man, i thought watterson would keep his location secret. I've always wanted to contact him somehow, let him know how much i appreciate his work

I know he's from there, but I don't know if he's still there. The city, though, looks a lot like the neighborhood where Calvin lived. Houses, yes, but also lots of streams, woods, grass... it's really beautiful.

Plus, I don't know his address, and it's not like there are signs all over the city pointing the way to his house, so I think his location is still more or less a secret, unless you want to drive to the city like Bob Wiley from "What About Bob?"

"DOCTOOORRRR LEEEEOOOOOO MARRRVIIINNN!!!!!!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
The Valentine Bros.

Postby The Valentine Bros. » Thu May 24, 2007 8:20 am

I'm a fan of C&H (Calvin & Hobbes).
Cartman respects the Cheese's Autoritah! http://content.ytmnd.com/content/b/4/5/ ... ad8844.wav

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”