A Generation Lost. The 90's.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

triplemultiplex
Posts: 5891
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:24 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:28 am

Mamont wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:(Porn. I speak of porn.)

And don't forget, in those days there were no videos. Just pics. I mean, there were videos, but it would take you forever to download few minutes. It wasn't worth the bother.


Minutes?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think I ever saw a continuous minute of porn in the 90's.

During the 90's is when someone invented the term "SUV". And suddenly they were everywhere. Millions of four wheel drive vehicles that never so much as left the pavement. Bunch of posers.

I pretty much saw every episode of Saved By the Bell in the 90's. It's just what was on after school that wasn't a goddamn talk show or the news. So many wasted hours.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
mosaicmoon
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:28 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby mosaicmoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 am

Ah, the 90's. I personally feel that those have been the best years of my life so far. It's the memories that really make the 90's the best years of my life but the entertainment was so much better!

The shows were better and I dare say, there was actual music on MTV and VH1 (le gasp)! The Young Riders (89-92), Hey Dude, South Park, Tales from the Crypt, Xena, My So Called Life, Are you Afraid of the Dark, Saved By the Bell, and Father Dowling Mysteries (89-91) were my top favorite shows back in the day. Followed by TRL. I lived for that show when I was a tween. And who can forget MadTV and the old SNL team!

I remember going to so many boy band concerts with my friends (which I'd never be seen dead at now *coughcough*).

Plus half of my favorite movies came out in the 90's!
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
Mamont wrote:
triplemultiplex wrote:(Porn. I speak of porn.)

And don't forget, in those days there were no videos. Just pics. I mean, there were videos, but it would take you forever to download few minutes. It wasn't worth the bother.


Minutes?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. I meant seconds. I remember those ten second clips. I would repeat them until I got bored. :mrgreen:
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:19 pm

mosaicmoon wrote:Ah, the 90's. I personally feel that those have been the best years of my life so far. It's the memories that really make the 90's the best years of my life but the entertainment was so much better!

The shows were better and I dare say, there was actual music on MTV and VH1 (le gasp)! The Young Riders (89-92), Hey Dude, South Park, Tales from the Crypt, Xena, My So Called Life, Are you Afraid of the Dark, Saved By the Bell, and Father Dowling Mysteries (89-91) were my top favorite shows back in the day. Followed by TRL. I lived for that show when I was a tween. And who can forget MadTV and the old SNL team!

I remember going to so many boy band concerts with my friends (which I'd never be seen dead at now *coughcough*).

Plus half of my favorite movies came out in the 90's!

:D
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 am

You know what else I miss about the 90s? Video stores. Well, not the video stores themselves, but my personal experiences and memories of times spent there. My brother and I used to rent movies like every other day back in high school. We watched every movie worth watching and some that were utter rubbish. Girl who worked there knew us and knew what kind of films we like. I even knew some people just from the video store. My opinion on current films was considered valuable.
At the end of high school I started going out more often, so I didn't have enough time for movies, and soon lost interest.
Image
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 17614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:57 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am

Mamont wrote:Image

Some of us still have VHS cassettes and players, lol.
The South Park Scriptorium

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:16 pm

I have two shelfs full of old VHS tapes. South Park on some of them too. I used to tape it. But, player broke down long time ago.
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Mamont wrote:I have two shelfs full of old VHS tapes. South Park on some of them too. I used to tape it. But, player broke down long time ago.

I have the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy on VHS, but no VCR.
Unassumption
Posts: 3849
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Unassumption » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 am

There's still 3 'video' stores in my town somehow

I don't remember anything about the 90s although i was in existence for almost the whole decade. I want to sell my old video tapes i got a whole bookshelf full and they take up too much space. Knowing the young generation won't know what a floppy disc or a cassette tape are is stranger still!

was born in 1982 and I think better time to be born was around 1990, or even better, right... now.

the world gets better each year so every year is a better time to be born. My nephews and nieces who never saw the 90s all have the best music and movies of that decade filtered 'by history' for them so they can watch it without the crap (or see the funny crap without the boring crap if they so choose). same as me and the 80s.

I miss the '90s. I had not a care in the world

I think that's what people miss. Being kids. Not being in the 90s.

Being a teenager sucks in any decade

Now all your mistakes are recorded online forever D=
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:34 am

Unassumption wrote:I don't remember anything about the 90s although i was in existence for almost the whole decade.

Same with me and the 80s. Okay, I remember some parts. My earliest memories go back to 1986 (I know that because that's the year we moved to this town). An since I started school in '88, I still remember communist propaganda in it. :P

Unassumption wrote:Knowing the young generation won't know what a floppy disc or a cassette tape are is stranger still!

I wonder will today's kids be saying the same thing about USB flash drives. Probably. And with google glass, quantum computers and graphene chips, they'll probably be saying that about current PCs.

Unassumption wrote:
Being a teenager sucks in any decade

Now all your mistakes are recorded online forever D=

Well now, I have posted some idiotic statements on boards that don't exist anymore, and on those that do exist, those posts are long gone. You really think they are saved somewhere in the dark corners of the interwebs?
Unassumption
Posts: 3849
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Unassumption » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm

I still remember communist propaganda in it.

I recently saw the documentary "the death of Yugoslavia" and am wondering if the war in the 90s impacted you in Croatia?
Awkward question I know. How good the 90s was depends a lot on where you were at the time, I guess. In Germany the reunification would probably have had a bigger impact than anything, Russia would've seen the fall of communism more, etc. We all probably had VHS tapes though, VHS unites the world.

You really think they are saved somewhere in the dark corners of the interwebs?

The statement I made is among those stupid things that is put online that gets forgotten about; a site I posted on a lot in 2007 recently died, when i went there to delete all my stuff. Sadly some things get saved by other people who post them to more secure sites and are harder to purge. I used to actually think stuff online was more secure than stuff on stone until sites started dying, then again rocks erode too.

they'll probably be saying that about current PCs.

Trying to predict the future will usually result in fail. However, there must be a point when tech will stop moving. When we reach the designs that fit what people want and to make them better would cost more, we will probably stop changing them. With so much physics to exploit in computers, we still have a long way to go before that time! So our kids will laugh at us, though computers will probably not change that much now we've got an output that interacts with our main sense organ (sight) and an input that uses our main movable body part (hands).
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 am

Unassumption wrote:I recently saw the documentary "the death of Yugoslavia" and am wondering if the war in the 90s impacted you in Croatia?

Luckily, I live in part of Croatia not affected by it directly. The closest I've been to the war was sporadically going to bomb shelters for a few months and seeing a plane take down TV tower on a hill some 10 kilometers away. I was 9 at the time and too dumb to be scared. But, yeah, it was bad.
The worst thing about the war was that it set us back for a couple of decades. :roll: Seems to me we used to be a more progressive nation during the 80s than we are now. Some people just can't get over the fact the war is long gone. It seems they miss it too much.

Unassumption wrote:How good the 90s was depends a lot on where you were at the time, I guess. In Germany the reunification would probably have had a bigger impact than anything, Russia would've seen the fall of communism more, etc.

For some countries the change was good (like Germany, former Czechoslovakia, Hungary...), for some bad (Albania, Moldavia...). For Yugoslavia it was hell. Second bloodiest conflict in Europe in the 20th century.
FunnySmartAleck
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:00 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby FunnySmartAleck » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:21 am

I don't care how many new Pokemon they come out with, or if one of them is technically God. My Mewtwo from Red version can still beat them all.
Smart Aleck Comedy
Find your laughs here. We stole them, sorry 'bout that.

Check out our website!
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:19 pm

FunnySmartAleck wrote:I don't care how many new Pokemon they come out with, or if one of them is technically God. My Mewtwo from Red version can still beat them all.

The games are still fun to play... kinda.

The anime got a spin-off reboot called Pokemon Origins.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests