A Generation Lost. The 90's.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm

AngusMcTavish wrote:I know what you mean, AP. I like the music from the '80s, the animation from the '90s, but I don't know what I'd pick as the best element from the '00s.


The fact that in the '00s we could write the year with only one digit, such as: March 21, 2004 would be: 3-21-4 instead of 3-21-04; can't do that again (one digit) until the year 2100 :P

Back to the '90s: Seinfeld.
Last edited by zzyzx 1 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngusMcTavish
Posts: 8946
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:The fact that in the '00s we could wright the year with only one digit, such as: March 21, 2004 would be: 3-21-4 instead of 3-21-04; can't do that again (one digit) until the year 2100 :P

Back to the '90s: Seinfeld.

Oh yeah...forgot about that; did it all the time! And in the case of 2000, I would sometimes go with the Roman Numerals.

So ten years ago would have been 3-30-MM. See? It FIT!

Back to topic: Preferred Friends and Frasier over Seinfeld.
zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Fraiser was great! I also liked Eddie the dog on that show!
AngusMcTavish
Posts: 8946
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm

zzyzx 1 wrote:Fraiser was great! I also liked Eddie the dog on that show!

Eddie WAS the show! The whole Niles/Daphne saga was a close second, though.
zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby zzyzx 1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm

And the Cheers overlaps: Lilith, Diane, Woody, Sam in Seattle, and when they visited Boston and met the gang at a bar with Cliff, Karla, etc. Cheers finished in the '90s, so it's good for this thread :wink:
AngusMcTavish
Posts: 8946
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:30 pm

^ Right! Almost forgot about that!
zzyzx 1
Posts: 4887
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:35 am

Jurassic Park was released too in the 90's.
Milo Vonnegut 3

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Milo Vonnegut 3 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:06 pm

I

My best memory: me and mom playing Pokemon games on Gameboy and watching Pokemon on TV together.

Hey, my mom loves the sh*t out of Pokemon. I think that's because she was in her 20s and she's an anime fan.



II

Every time I see the Universal Studios logo, I think of Jurassic Park or The Mummy.



III

I remember playing Silent Hill on the PlayStation in the dark. That was before Slender Man.

I played a bit of Spyro.



IV

I used to watch a lot of Nickelodeon - Rocko's Modern Life was my favorite. I watched The X-Files, and I still have no clue to about it was about. I only caught a few glimpses of South Park.



V

We listened to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rob Zombie, Black Sabbath, Slayer, and Pantera - through my dad.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Brendle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Who can forget the brilliance of early Rugrats?

The genius of young Eminem and old George Carlin.

Them were some good times indeed.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
John_117
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby John_117 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Road Rash on PC.

Image
Aidsburger
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Aidsburger » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 am

Brendle wrote:Who can forget the brilliance of early Rugrats?


Yes! This!

I've never been the most "cultured" person in the world but being born into '92 was the greatest thing that could've happened for me (with the exception of if I was born before then and could've had a better memory of the 90s as a teen or an adult).

Anyway, I personally never got into the cartoons on Cartoon Network (from that era - I love Adventure Time and Regular Show) or on any of the other networks (well, aside from South Park but that's not a kid's show of course), but I essentially planned my free time around Nicktoons as a child. The earlier Rugrats episodes were up there with my favorites. I also liked Doug, Hey Arnold, Catdog, Angry Beavers, and a couple of other series, with my favorite series actually being Rocko's Modern Life (I always enjoyed the more "wacky" episodes from the first three seasons, before the series' creator stepped down as a writer). I've actually been going through a period of nostalgic thinking (even before discovering this thread) where I've been getting into those watching all of shows again at times, and I actually bought the complete series of Rocko's on DVD.

Anyway, other fond memories of the 90s for me are hanging out in my backyard at my old place while sitting with friends and family by roaring bondfires and listening to old school rap (including early Eminem as you'd also mentioned as a highlight for you) and other 90s music, Pokemon (the trading card game and the series - I never played the GameBoy games), Hamtaro (cheesy, I know, but we had pet hamsters and at the time I was really into those Americanized/commercialized kiddie anime series), N64 games (including GoldenEye, The World is Not Enough, South Park Rally, and the other South Park one), frustration with AOL Dialup, writing a letter to Jell-O about how disgusting their "Pudding Bites" were just for laughs and emailing me a couple of coupons for real pudding, the original Toy Story Movies, Disney films such as The Great Mouse Detective (technically late 80s but it was one of my favorite films as a kid in the 90s), all the amazingly simplistic yet immensely entertaining toys and games (Connect Four, Guess Who?, Candyland, Bop It, and so on), etc, etc.

I could ramble on and on even more than I have about the 90s if my memory was a bit sharper, but I'll end this thought by just mentioning, plainly and simply, that I miss the 90s. I don't know if I miss being a kid, miss the cultural aspect, or a bit of both, but even to this day, I listen to some 90s music (some grunge like Alice In Chains, some indie stuff like Neutral Milk Hotel, Tool, Soundgarden, old school rap, etc), watch 90s cartoons, and feel overall like I was blessed to have lived in the 90s.
Brendle
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:26 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Brendle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 am

Aidsburger wrote:
Brendle wrote:Who can forget the brilliance of early Rugrats?


Yes! This!

I've never been the most "cultured" person in the world but being born into '92 was the greatest thing that could've happened for me (with the exception of if I was born before then and could've had a better memory of the 90s as a teen or an adult).

I was born in 1990. I think the best time to be born was around 1982...you get to be a teenager in the 1990s and experience all the epic entertainment with a semi-sentient brain.

Aidsburger wrote:Anyway, I personally never got into the cartoons on Cartoon Network (from that era - I love Adventure Time and Regular Show) or on any of the other networks (well, aside from South Park but that's not a kid's show of course), but I essentially planned my free time around Nicktoons as a child. The earlier Rugrats episodes were up there with my favorites. I also liked Doug, Hey Arnold, Catdog, Angry Beavers, and a couple of other series, with my favorite series actually being Rocko's Modern Life (I always enjoyed the more "wacky" episodes from the first three seasons, before the series' creator stepped down as a writer).

Only thing from Cartoon Network I bothered with was Dragon Ball Z...not so sure it's any good looking back on it, though. I wouldn't exactly call Rugrats or Doug (both brilliant shows) kids shows. Early Rugrats was a show aimed at adults...satirical in nature. Doug was also smart. I used to watch Hey Arnold all the f*cking time.

Aidsburger wrote:I've actually been going through a period of nostalgic thinking (even before discovering this thread) where I've been getting into those watching all of shows again at times, and I actually bought the complete series of Rocko's on DVD.

Sitting down and watching something on television is so much more enjoyable than Youtube. I'd like to re-visit The Simpsons one of these days.

Aidsburger wrote:Anyway, other fond memories of the 90s for me are hanging out in my backyard at my old place while sitting with friends and family by roaring bondfires and listening to old school rap (including early Eminem as you'd also mentioned as a highlight for you) and other 90s music, Pokemon (the trading card game and the series - I never played the GameBoy games)

Oh man. I was into it all. The trading cards, the series and the GameBoy games. I remember being so stoked when I caught a Mewtwo and murdering motherf*ckers with my Psychic moves.

Eminem is possibly the greatest lyricist in musical history...early Eminem, that is.

Aidsburger wrote:N64 games (including GoldenEye, The World is Not Enough, South Park Rally, and the other South Park one), frustration with AOL Dialup, writing a letter to Jell-O about how disgusting their "Pudding Bites" were just for laughs and emailing me a couple of coupons for real pudding, the original Toy Story Movies,

You ever get the Toy Story game on PC? sh*t was cool.

Goldeneye...I remember being blown away by the golden gun. And the screen turns red when you die. Pretty cool. I was a Playstation guy, though. Sounds like we liked the same sh*t.

Aidsburger wrote:I could ramble on and on even more than I have about the 90s if my memory was a bit sharper, but I'll end this thought by just mentioning, plainly and simply, that I miss the 90s. I don't know if I miss being a kid, miss the cultural aspect, or a bit of both, but even to this day, I listen to some 90s music (some grunge like Alice In Chains, some indie stuff like Neutral Milk Hotel, Tool, Soundgarden, old school rap, etc), watch 90s cartoons, and feel overall like I was blessed to have lived in the 90s.

Well, I liked the simple times when you didn't have mobile phones. And you had to call friends' home phones and ask their parents "hey can I speak to <insert name>?" Or when laptops were just big chunky pieces of sh*t. It was a pretty cool time.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 am

Brendle wrote:I was born in 1990. I think the best time to be born was around 1982...you get to be a teenager in the 1990s and experience all the epic entertainment with a semi-sentient brain.

Meh... I was born in 1982 and I think better time to be born was around 1990, or even better, right... now.

I don't miss the 90s. The only thing I like about the 90s is grunge and some cartoons like Two Stupid Dogs and Ed, Edd and Eddy. But I can listen/watch it now too.
triplemultiplex
Posts: 5940
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:24 pm

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Being a teenager sucks in any decade, I would think. It was nice to get it over with before we were all so freakin' connected. At least bullies needed to have the balls to fuck with you in person. None of this talking shit on Facebook and crap.

If you kids today think you know more about computers and the internet and junk than your parents, you should've been a teenager in the late 90's. They had no clue what the shit was going on. Of course with only one computer in the entire house and a 56.6 kb dial-up modem, you needed a lot of time to exploit that knowledge gap, if you know what I mean.

(Porn. I speak of porn.)

Oh and there was no Google.
Did I just blow your little minds?

You can't appreciate how crummy internet search was before Google. Excite? Lycos? AskJeeves? It was the dark ages, man.
__________________________________________________

You read it! You can't unread it!
Mamont
Posts: 2407
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Re: A Generation Lost. The 90's.

Postby Mamont » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:32 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:If you kids today think you know more about computers and the internet and junk than your parents, you should've been a teenager in the late 90's. They had no clue what the shit was going on.

Depends who you ask. My dad knew (and still does) more about computers than me. But, it is his profession after all.

triplemultiplex wrote:(Porn. I speak of porn.)

And don't forget, in those days there were no videos. Just pics. I mean, there were videos, but it would take you forever to download few minutes. It wasn't worth the bother.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests