Comp and Tech thread. Everything digital goes here.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Barack_Obama

Re: Comp and Tech thread. Everything digital goes here.

Postby Barack_Obama » Wed May 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Big-Will wrote:Wow, they've really worked hard on the user control panel there!

It's damn horrible. I had to go through some bullsh*t to get mine changed. Changing it from the standard menu just redirects me to a page saying they were compromised and the feature was unavailable until you reset your password. That's right, I could not reset my password until I reset my password. So, I logged out, clicked "forgot password" and had a reset link sent to me. I used it, and it said successful. So I tried logging in with my new password, it did not work. So I tired that way to reset it again, figuring it is possible that I typed the password in wrong but matched it in the confirmation. The new password also did not work. I logged in with my old password and IT WORKED.

So then I called in, and was directed through a labyrinth of links in their customer service pages, like 5 clicks at least. Then I got to a page that actually let me reset it, a page that might as well be the hidden train station in Harry f*cking Potter. I have no idea how many people have to do it this way, but I am sure I cannot be the only one. They must be clogged with people right now on their customer support lines.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Wed May 21, 2014 4:26 pm

EBay Hack

I just finished the article about the hack and it wasn’t as bad as I first thought. The data stolen was encrypted well. The info is only username, password and personal information. The Paypal info was not hacked which I thought was. So they can’t buy things with your money I believe which is the biggest fear. EBay is thinking that the hackers may call people though to get bank info and social security info. They still are recommending to change password. I should really get into the habit of reading an article before saying anything about one.
What seems to be the officer problem?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed May 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Barrah wrote:*99 problems*

Really? It took me longer to come up with the new password than it did to get to the window to change it.

Aw, but my bank decided to set up a new online system like a month ago, and it's taken me up until this past week to get it to work properly. I'd come up with a username, then a password. Then it'd say I didn't use any special characters (which I did). Then it'd say I didn't use any capital letters. (which I did) :? Then it'd say I didn't use enough characters. :x Then I used too many. :evil: IT WAS THE SAME 12 CHARACTERS EVERY TIME! ugh.
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Well, like I said, even though the change password link redirected me to that page, I still got a reset link sent to my email and did it from there in no time. It just didn't actually change it, my old password worked and the new one didn't. The guy on the phone directed me to a different page by going through the damn sitemap because the main one under your account settings just didn't even load for me, it had that page saying the feature was disabled until I reset my password. Yeah, I couldn't reset my password until I reset my password.
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed May 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Oy. :roll:

Btw, I think its time for a new computer. Just noticed my clock freezes when I do a large file transfer. Its been 10:28 for the last hour.

Also, the progress bar goes cray. (When does it not) I'll have an hour remaining, then 35 mins, then an hour again, then 45 mins, then 25, then 2-1/2 hors... :? You gotta be effin' kidding me.

Eedit: oh. Just noticed itunes didnt completely close. That explains the clock.
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Wed May 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Or you could just need to reinstall the operating system. I recall you getting a new computer not too long ago, it can't be old enough to upgrade yet. I am sure you just need to reinstall Windows. Back all your files up and nuke that crap with a fresh installation.

- Unassumption
JamesPup

Postby JamesPup » Wed May 21, 2014 11:45 pm

What are you downloading? Progress bars are always like that on all computers and may have more to do with your internet speed that you have. I have no real problems with my laptop except can’t play the new video games. I’ve never heard of a clock freezing like that. When I open big doc files my computer will freeze on me for like 10 seconds. Also my browsers freeze up some times but I think it is a problem with firefox. Never really had the problem when I used Internet Explorer. If your computer freezes a lot I would buy a new one. The money is a killer though. If all you do is surf the web I don’t see why your having trouble. I don’t know how to reinstall windows and would never try that. I would take it to Best Buy and see if they can get it going faster. I’m not that computer smart. Maybe you have a virus or something slowing it down, it happens. How much did you spend on your computer and how new is it? This would just suck if its like a new one.
What seems to be the officer problem?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu May 22, 2014 2:54 am

Or you could just replace the battery. Take the old one to a computer or electronics store and ask for a matching new one to put in.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri May 23, 2014 1:43 am

No, uh- jeez.

Okay, I was backing up *(about) 55 gigs of music to an external drive, and while the progress bar was maintaining a constant... trajectory? (sure) the estimated time for completion kept jumping around. Nothing new for a windows machine of any description. the task bar froze because I use iTunes in minimized/taskbar mode, it didn't close out properly, and froze everything in the taskbar including the clock display, and all the buttons. ('start', firefox, itunes, etc.) This comp is a dv6 1360us, bought new in '09, with a p7450 Core2Duo chip, 500gb hdd, 4gb ram, and windows 7. I could upgrade the ram, but I really haven't seen much of a need. It's not like the thing is horribly slow. It's always had a few little hiccups, but has been a hell of a lot more reliable than my old Toshiba Satellite. That thing went in for a new MB just about every 6 mos.
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm

You probably have a recovery image on the hard disk already. I personally wouldn't use that image, though, I do not like the bloat that comes with OEM installs. But it would still be better than an old installation.

- Unassumption
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:04 pm

Firefox 30 is released today. Well, this seems promising, for that matter. But the plugins are not activated by default anymore! Please! :|

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/06/10/firefo ... -find-new/

Also, Adobe Flash Player 14.0.0.125 has been released today. You can check out this link to find out which version of Flash Player you have if you want to upgrade it, okay?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Bringing sexy back. (Thank you, Drisela, for the pic! :D)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:56 pm

angeldeb82 wrote:Firefox 30 is released today. Well, this seems promising, for that matter. But the plugins are not activated by default anymore! Please! :|

Of seven plugins I have on FF, only Real Player's Browser Record Plugin was disabled after the upgrade.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Firefox 31 is out now. It now has some features and changes, like blocking malware from downloaded files, so you should check this out.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/22/firefo ... -find-new/

fabrianne

Postby fabrianne » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:03 am

My FF is still version 30. I guess I have to update.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Now this is weird: A hacker makes a Doom arcade game out of an ATM machine! :cartmanoooh: :o

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/0 ... cade-game/

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”