[OT] Creepier: Records or Tapes?

Have a poll? Post it here, and keep all the other forums clean of tons of poll threads!

Moderator: Big-Will

Which are Creepier?

Records
46%
Tapes
54%

Total votes: 13
redblade7

[OT] Creepier: Records or Tapes?

Postby redblade7 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Do you find records creepier, with their old and scratchy sound?

Or do you find tapes creepier, since you never know if something that used to be on the tape will be (partially) heard again?

Cast your creepy vote here! I'm going with tapes.
"Don't touch me! I've had my nuts broken, body poisoned, have been made love to in the ass by three dozen 40-year-old men—I just wanna go home and take a, a hot bath!" -Stuart McCormick
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: [OT] Creepier: Records or Tapes?

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:48 pm

I find neither of them creepy, unless you leave records out in the sun - then they warp and playing them back is pretty damn creepy.
The South Park Scriptorium

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm

I agree with BW. They're not "creepy." I think they're both crappy in their own way because they're degradable media. Record scratches are easier to tolerate than tapes that get "eaten" or dropouts.

I'm kind of glad those days are over TBH.
Glade Monvert

Postby Glade Monvert » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:41 pm

This is crazy. Great music mastered to analog tape that is pressed onto high quality vinyl is the sweetest sound there is. Most of you kids would not know this. Give it a listen....... :D
......My monvert's never looked so clean!
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:I agree with BW. They're not "creepy." I think they're both crappy in their own way because they're degradable media. Record scratches are easier to tolerate than tapes that get "eaten" or dropouts.

^ This.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 am

It depends on the recording. A scratchy, poppy, ancient lo-fi 78 can sound kinda creepy. Dad has a fairly extensive collection of old Tango music compiled from old recordings and I love how it sounds. With a bit of reverb coming out of a darkened room that could be perfect.
On the other hand, somewhere around here I have a cassette that was recorded on an ailing recorder, and it sounds hella creepy. If I can find it, dub it off, and find a place to host it, I'll post it.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:05 am

I get why ppl still listen to vinyl, but tapes? CDs are much better than tapes. They last longer and have clearer sound.

Glade Monvert wrote:This is crazy. Great music mastered to analog tape that is pressed onto high quality vinyl is the sweetest sound there is. Most of you kids would not know this. Give it a listen....... :D

Yes, analogue is better in theory, but can you hear the diference between analogue and digital? And I'm not talking about mp3s.

Big_Will wrote:I find neither of them creepy, unless you leave records out in the sun - then they warp and playing them back is pretty damn creepy.

That's what happened to my Who record, whan I left in on gramophone for few days.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:26 am

why not avoid all the old stuff and use MP3?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Mamont wrote:I get why ppl still listen to vinyl, but tapes? CDs are much better than tapes. They last longer and have clearer sound.

I don't really 'use' tapes anymore. I do like to try and find ones people have recorded off of the radio from 20 & 30 years back. It's just cool to hear how radio was back then, and how not much has changed.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:07 am

Unassumption wrote:why not avoid all the old stuff and use MP3?

I've got an iPod for that. I do find a few things to buy off iTunes once in a rare while, but there's just something about holding the Real Deal in your hands, be it CD or vinyl or whatever.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:14 am

MP3 has poor sound quality. Flac ftw!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:41 pm

96 kbps?
128 kbps?
160 kbps?
192 kbps?
256 kbps?
320 kbps?

I've heard good sound at low bitrate, crappy sound at high bitrate.
The South Park Scriptorium

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:11 pm

My iTunes imports CDs at 256. I think store downloads are 320, and my vinyl rips (audacity recordings) save at 152 for some reason.

Eedit: just checked, downloads are 256 as well.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:31 pm

I've had a couple of instances where I tried to put a CD into my iPod, and the sound came out really distorted and crappy. Now I gotta test 'em to see if they came through all right.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:00 pm

You may have to go in and play around with the import settings in your preferences.

Return to “Polls”