Do any of you look at South Park as being philosophical?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Hannafechik98

Do any of you look at South Park as being philosophical?

Postby Hannafechik98 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

South Park is satirical, but could it be philosophical as well? I’m currently reading the ultimate South Park and Philosiphy right now, and I’m not sure if I’m understanding all of it. I do understand some stuff.

Does SP itself support religion or dosen’t It? Do you believe Matt and Trey are making fun of religion because it’s funny and they’re not afraid to get in trouble, or because it’s what they think is morally right?

Do any of you view it as comforting somehow?

When people hate on SP for being what it is, does it seem like they’re trying to take away its meaning, and the meaning of satire in general?
JamesPolo

Re: Do any of you look at South Park as being philosophical?

Postby JamesPolo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:27 am

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am
South Park is satirical, but could it be philosophical as well? I’m currently reading the ultimate South Park and Philosiphy right now, and I’m not sure if I’m understanding all of it. I do understand some stuff.

Does SP itself support religion or dosen’t It? Do you believe Matt and Trey are making fun of religion because it’s funny and they’re not afraid to get in trouble, or because it’s what they think is morally right?

Do any of you view it as comforting somehow?

When people hate on SP for being what it is, does it seem like they’re trying to take away its meaning, and the meaning of satire in general?
I guess there would be some philosophy to it. Like life is pointless and your damned if you do and damned if you don't. Ultimate South Park and Philosophy sounds like a fun read, maybe I'll pick it up one day.

Its tough to say what the show supports. Everything gets made fun of but the show has its core setting and reset of where people expect the show to pick rate back up at the beginning of every new episode.

It seems the show does support Christianity, as the characters are and maintain the faith. I would think that the only thing that stands out to me of as the show supporting an idea, is that the idea is repetitive and that it is shown to be a characteristic that majority of the town follows. Like when we see a few characters with a similar trait, like a handicap, we know its still a minority trait. Or like Kenny's family being poor, its that most of the town are not relative to this, so its seen as taboo and an outcast condition. But with the whole town being Christian, it shows the power behind the religion and that is where the support lays. There is a majority there and it brings a much safer feel about the idea of Christianity. So, whatever the consensus is, I think, forces the show to portray it with support.

I think its just fun to make fun of stuff so that's why they do it. They can trick themselves into thinking its the right thing to do by putting down God. Still, we don't know everything and so there is that. Everyone makes fun of God once and a while but Matt and Trey did it with a cartoon viewed millions of times. I think of how if there is a market for something, than someone should make that product, with this idea.

It feels good that someone else wants to question life and God, sure.

I don't really know anyone that hates on South Park, you lost me there.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 am

I read comments from some people on DA that said things about SP that I did not agree with. One of (Who was a catholic.) them seemed like he was bashing atheists, and that the creators were godless and should ask forgiveness, which was really upsetting to me. They just seemed kind of, well, self-centered or serving, I can’t exactly place what phrase should be used.

I wish those who hate it, would at least understand it better, rather than make bias statements like that. It’s not against their religion, it’s morally bashing its flaws.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 am

You have to remember that sometimes people just attack what they don't want to do. So maybe its just a bunch of people that don't want to watch TV in general. That is where I can say I fall a lot of the time. I really haven't watched a TV show since December. I'm just finding less and less time to watch TV and less and less enjoyment from TV. I would say I attack many TV shows or just TV in general just so people leave me alone.
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 pm

I mean if somebody accuses South Park for being “against their religion”, how would you go about it in a way not to attack them, but explain to them that it is not against their religion,it just has a different way of portraying it?
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 pm
I mean if somebody accuses South Park for being “against their religion”, how would you go about it in a way not to attack them, but explain to them that it is not against their religion,it just has a different way of portraying it?
I don't know, I've never known anyone that upset about South Park. Obviously I know the different way of portraying it is for laughs. I'm mainly an atheist but I do like to talk to God and Jesus at times as it is soothing and relaxing. I think of other religions too and sometimes in positive ways and sometimes negative ways but I do the same with Christianity.
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:57 am

What exactly was the message behind “Bloody Mary”?

And I also wonder if SP will ever tackle subjects like Lent or Ash Wednesday. Even some other Jewish Holidays and traditions like Purim. Maybe one where Kyle learns about ritual slaughter and becomes horrrifed by it.

What do you think of those ideas for episodes?
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:40 am

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:57 am
What exactly was the message behind “Bloody Mary”?

And I also wonder if SP will ever tackle subjects like Lent or Ash Wednesday. Even some other Jewish Holidays and traditions like Purim. Maybe one where Kyle learns about ritual slaughter and becomes horrrifed by it.

What do you think of those ideas for episodes?
I forget Bloody Mary. I think there was like a miracle that was happening around the release of that one. Like every once and a while, some statue cries from its eyes or bleeds blood. They are just hoaxes but they can make the news sometimes. I think that was the inspiration behind it. Seems like fair game there. Also many people go to religion to escape alcoholism or for help with any problem. That was what Randy was up too, trying to get help or at least pretend too, for the fun of it.

I forget Lent and Ash Wednesday but I know you and other people have brought it up. Like Lent, no meat Fridays? And Ash Wednesday, just put some ash on your forehead?

I know almost nothing about Jewish Holidays or really any religions. I'm sure if there is lots of Holiday food and alcohol that I would like it.

Ritual slaughter sounds cool. I don't really know anything about that but I think it is related to cults and ancient religious practices. There was Shub-Niggurath!

I don't think some of them have been covered and so they seem fine.
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 am

Thy certainly do have the potential to do more episodes on minor religious traditions.

Though “Bloody Mary” was targeted by a catholic organization, for the Virgin Mary thing.

And what is the purpose or story on the Super Best Friends? I know what they do, but what would they actually symbolize? Co-existence most likely?

I started a DA group about SP and religion:https://southparkfaith.deviantart.com

An off-topic thing: This fanfic I found on Stan. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9319120/1/Little-Brother
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 pm

There is a philosophy to South Park and it's quite simple: Don't Be Such a Douchebag.

Politics, religion, pop culture; whatever your thing is, that's fine, just don't be a douche about it.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm

There is this Youtuber who clearly is uneducated about South Park along with the other two popular animated sitcoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbK36Ai ... zTJEEFxHrI
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:58 am

Hannafechik98 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 am
I read comments from some people on DA that said things about SP that I did not agree with. One of (Who was a catholic.) them seemed like he was bashing atheists, and that the creators were godless and should ask forgiveness, which was really upsetting to me. They just seemed kind of, well, self-centered or serving, I can’t exactly place what phrase should be used.

I wish those who hate it, would at least understand it better, rather than make bias statements like that. It’s not against their religion, it’s morally bashing its flaws.
Matt is an atheist, that much I know. Trey is agnostic. The miracle "Bloody Mary" attacked was the weeping Mary statues and the reverence people have towards them. In the episode, the statue is having a period, which is something that NEVER happens to a weeping statue. That's why so many Catholics were offended, and it just adds to the long list of things the show has attacked the Church about. You can find out more in Catholic League articles about South Park.

Matt and Trey go after all religions, but Trey is on record saying that atheism is the worst of them all -"There's no way you live and die, and that's it. There's gotta be something more," but he doesn't know what. That's why he's agnostic.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 am

I think for the most part,people dismiss something because they don’t understand it. I think that happens a lot with satire. People clearly dismiss it because they think it’s only intended to insult people, when it’s trying to enforce mixed messages of free and critical thinking and connecting to values of society. South Park is a big example.

But exactly how and why do people dismiss it?
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 am

I'm more of an atheist but I think there was like the Big Bang and then there is no real explanation to how we get life. Like we know all the known elements and periodic table stuff. Still somehow life starts from that and no one knows how. That is where I would agree with Trey over Matt. Still any religion we have thought of must be wrong. I believe humanity evolved so that is why no religion is right. I believe in like hive mind and natural instincts living things have. I don't believe in heaven or any type of place thought of by humans so far. I think more of like the five senses turning off. Like no sight just all darkness. So no smell, taste, touch, or hearing too. All life on earth is connected as it all may have evolved from the same thing. Still it is that we all eat each other, that is really something all life has in common.
Hannafechik98

Postby Hannafechik98 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 am

I’m trying to do a project on satire and how it works. South Park will be included. But what’s the simplist way to do a project that includes so much information?

Return to “General South Park Discussion”