Smug Alert

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

blancowhite

Smug Alert

Postby blancowhite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:01 am

Although the majority of people seem to agree with the fact that Cartman only saved Kyle to regain his verbal punching bag/ amusing rival back, some seem to think he actually cared about his rival.

I..disagree. Extremely so.

It's just so beyond obvious that Kyle, unlike Stan and his other classmates, isn't indifferent to Cartman's taunting. He takes it personally and he lets the comments get to him (unlike Butters who takes it with a smile, something that ruins the fun for someone like Cartman). If he truly cared about Kyle, don't you think he would of felt something for his loss when he originally left, NOT after realizing Butters wasn't an entertaining rival? Stan even says it himself: "Without Kyle to rip on, your life is empty and hallow."
Exactly that. Not, "You secretly care about him" nor does it imply that in ANY way...but I digress.
Cartman later on says, "I'm not doing it for Kyle." And that's very important to note, because the episode itself is now flat out informing you that is purely selfish rather than altruistic.

Lastly, Cartman telling no one of him saving Kyle doesn't imply that he cares about him in any way, shape, or form- it's because he doesn't want anyone to misinterpret his actions as caring for Kyle. Because Kyle himself might misinterpret his actions and no longer react with anger to his bullying, no longer giving those intoxicating reactions that makes bullying just so fun for Cartman.

But of course, the last scene itself. Kyle reacts with anger to his insult, and Cartman is once again satisfied (with hating on Kyle).

Basically, this is the cannon reason Cartman saved him from Smug.
JamesPolo

Re: Smug Alert

Postby JamesPolo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 am

I think that Matt and Trey realized that they had Kyle and Ike stranded in San Francisco, while on drugs, with a sh*t storm headed their way. I think the guys were like, "How do we just get Kyle and Ike home safe?" So, they came up with Cartman coming to their rescue. I don't think there was much thought put into this.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
blancowhite

Postby blancowhite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 am
I don't think there was much thought put into this.
Well, I don't think there was absolutely no thought put into it...it's sort of like a joker Batman dynamic they got going on
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Fatass only rips on Kyle because he secretly has the hots for him. "Everybody" knows that. ;) :lol: :lol:
Of course he's going to save his little crush from the Smug. :mrgreen:

You read it! You can't unread it!
blancowhite

Postby blancowhite » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:54 am

@triplemultiplex Lol...I don't think the majority would agree with that sentiment. Cartman has a hateful obsession with Kyle, a sadistic urge for his misery/embarrassment that can cross over sexual boundaries...the ladder part I think is what you're confusing for a "crush." In order for it to be a crush, there needs to be, well SOME romantic feelings that just aren't in their dynamic. The hatred is much too evident, and you may be simplifying and looking at their dynamic through rose-colored lenses
Last edited by blancowhite on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:48 am

Without Kyle, Cartman is just a fat boy who can't tease anyone, so he'd be a boring character as a result. But with Kyle, Cartman's racial aspects come out and he gets to lord it over Kyle. Cartman needs Kyle around to feel good about himself, so yeah, he'll save Kyle to keep himself from becoming irrelevant.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
blancowhite

Postby blancowhite » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:07 am

Big-Will wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:48 am
Without Kyle, Cartman is just a fat boy who can't tease anyone, so he'd be a boring character as a result. But with Kyle, Cartman's racial aspects come out and he gets to lord it over Kyle. Cartman needs Kyle around to feel good about himself, so yeah, he'll save Kyle to keep himself from becoming irrelevant.
Very true. Kyle is necessary to Cartman, but in an extremely twisted way. It's a part of what makes their dynamic so fun
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 am

I think we got Kyle the Jew before we got Carman the Racist Bigot. I think that once Trey realized he had a Jewish character on the show, he decided to have a character make light of that and so Cartman as Anti-Semitic, was born. Cartman is the bigger kid and with that he becomes more of the boss and one to be the authority. Each group, even with kids, has their leader or bully, who conforms the others to their will. So, with a Jewish character added to the group, who is not the leader, it was natural to have a counter to Kyle and the best way or funniest way, was attacking his Judaism. Cartman seems to be there to attack each member for something beyond their control so he can break them and get his own way. I know Kenny gets it for being poor but I'm not sure about Stan. Cartman seems more jealous of Stan's family, maybe because of Shelly or that Stan has a girlfriend? It may be that Cartman wants Stan to be his best friend and attacks the others to get Stan to favor him over them? There are many dynamics to groups and friendships to explore and Matt and Trey would be fools not to explore all of them. By incorporating each one, this expands on the shows diversity and potential. If the characters are shown to be too one sided and routine, the show would not be renewed another season, as it would get too repetitive and boring.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:23 am

James, Fatass ripping on Kyle for being Jewish was in the freakin' pilot. This isn't something that appeared later. It's right there in the very beginning.

You read it! You can't unread it!
blancowhite

Postby blancowhite » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:23 am
James, Fatass ripping on Kyle for being Jewish was in the freakin' pilot. This isn't something that appeared later. It's right there in the very beginning.
To be fair to James, the Jew jokes didn't really intensify until around season 5 or so. Basically, when Matt and Trey began to change Kyle's character into Cartman's foil, increase Cartman's hatred and saidsim for him, and as a result amp up their rivalry.

Interestingly enough, this is also when Cartman's character changes from a "heart of gold" deep down trope to a full on sociopath. But yeah the Jew jokes (if being accurate) has been around since the start of the show's run.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”