Are the creators of SP now seeking to destroy it?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

putitdown321

Are the creators of SP now seeking to destroy it?

Postby putitdown321 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:15 am

Like anything else, in the last 21 years of SP, there have been some clunkers interwoven with great episodes. (Of course, Randy's semen explosion comes to mind.) But I have never seen an entire season of bad SP's until perhaps this season. Season 22 is not just bad -- it's horrifically bad. I can barely watch it. Why didn't they develop some of the plots and subplots from last season? WHERE THE HECK IS HEIDI TURNER? I thought her metamorphosis into the female Cartman was brilliant. Last season we were watching Tweek and sing "Put It Down" (Terrific) and now are subjected to a skinny Al Gore for no reason. It really bites this season. I wonder if the creators are experimenting to see if they'll get canceled. Or some kind of "The Producers" plot. Because I can't believe the same guy who wrote "Butters' Very Own Episode" and so many, many others great ones is writing the trash that is Season 22. The question is why, why, why?
kfgg

Re: Are the creators of SP now seeking to destroy it?

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 am

It evolved over the years to the point where it mirrored the world as it is. It always did, but they got better at it.

Put It Down for example. That was last year. Trump still can’t put his iPhone down, but it was always being talked about, as was a boiling point with North Korea.

Skip over to this year. We have countless school shootings, we have Roseanne going off on Twitter and blaming it on a sleeping pill. More priests are getting in trouble. Electric scooters laying around in some cities. Fortnite. Herb farms. Ongoing extreme political correctness, etc. Then you can mix in some satire of movies, games and TV

You’re just sort of seeing things as they are thru South Park. In the earlier seasons (Figure 3-5) there really was not as much happening. Economy was pretty good, nobody had smartphones, we were not really at war with anybody, etc. A lot of those represent that. You’re also talking about people who were not married, didn’t have kids and were about 30. Now they are about 50, married, children.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:06 am

And they've always written what they know. These days, it's worries they share with other adults. Back then they were fresh out of school and ready to explore the world.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 am

putitdown321 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:15 am
Like anything else, in the last 21 years of SP, there have been some clunkers interwoven with great episodes. (Of course, Randy's semen explosion comes to mind.) But I have never seen an entire season of bad SP's until perhaps this season. Season 22 is not just bad -- it's horrifically bad. I can barely watch it. Why didn't they develop some of the plots and subplots from last season? WHERE THE HECK IS HEIDI TURNER? I thought her metamorphosis into the female Cartman was brilliant. Last season we were watching Tweek and sing "Put It Down" (Terrific) and now are subjected to a skinny Al Gore for no reason. It really bites this season. I wonder if the creators are experimenting to see if they'll get canceled. Or some kind of "The Producers" plot. Because I can't believe the same guy who wrote "Butters' Very Own Episode" and so many, many others great ones is writing the trash that is Season 22. The question is why, why, why?
That's been the theory since #cancelsouthpark was posted on Twitter two weeks before the season began. Couple that with no news about Matt and Trey renewing their contracts next year, and you can safely assume they're just about done with it. You can see that with the recent cameos of characters we haven't seen in a long time and will probably never see again (Mr. Hankey exiled to Springfield, Towelie in a government job getting high, the pedophile priest rocking Fr. Maxi and the Catholic Church once again) and recent changes to the town that are now part of its fabric (school shootings).

But the show is still the most popular thing on Comedy Central and on Hulu, so Comedy Central can just let them go and hire new writers to carry on the show, or just let the show go when Matt and Trey leave. No decision has been made yet.

Heidi's gone back into the background. The Heiman story ended in last year's finale.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:08 am

Trey and Matt would never do anything to intentionally harm the show, because I'm honestly pretty sure if they really wanted to walk away, they would. The reality is their tastes and attitudes have changed wildly over several years into a direction a lot of fans aren't crazy about. The interests of the show as a sitcom have been subverted and sacrificed in favor of providing social satire. Most of the time I find the decisions that really drive people away aren't as recent as those people think. Whether we agree with the changes made, we all recognize this isn't the same show it was two decades ago. Therefore, it's completely valid for people to lose interest in the show as its changed over the years.
Why didn't they develop some of the plots and subplots from last season? WHERE THE HECK IS HEIDI TURNER? I thought her metamorphosis into the female Cartman was brilliant. Last season we were watching Tweek and sing "Put It Down" (Terrific) and now are subjected to a skinny Al Gore for no reason.
Trey and Matt have never actually carried a storyline from one season finale into the next premiere, because Trey and Matt's recent adoption of continuity has been primarily seasonal. We never followed up on the gluten thing or Randy's music career, we never found out what happened to PC Principal's frat brothers, we never saw Skankhunt42 be exposed or suffer repercussions, and we're probably never going to find out what happened with Canada. I feel for you, because I was curious about the Canada situation and Heidi being a character outside Cartman, but as soon as "Dead Kids" was announced, it was clear to me we were going back to a mostly fresh slate.

Yes, the new romantic relationships have all continued, and there's been occasional references to the Gender War but its been almost completely out of focus since the end of the twentieth season anyway, but also notice none of that was finale-to-premiere; these items were revisited later, gradually.

Also, I don't see how Gore is any skinnier here than in previous appearances?
Couple that with no news about Matt and Trey renewing their contracts next year, and you can safely assume they're just about done with it.
I'd wait until the season ends to be sure about this. I recall they sat on announcing the seasons 16-17 renewal until season 15 was half-over, although it was negotiated early and mentioned in passing in an interview. (I remember being unsure if it was an journalist error since it hadn't been announced otherwise.)
matzoballs

Postby matzoballs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 am

I think this season is pretty good so far, I don't know why you'd say this one is the worst. About #cancelsouthpark, I think Matt and Trey may be looking to cancel the show.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”