Volume inconsitancy on S7 DVD?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:47 am

john706 wrote:am i the only one who has a copy of season 7 that plays fine?

Maybe your ears just aren't as discerning as the rest of ours. I admit, it's not like the dialogue is totally muted. Most of us are bothered just by a noticeable drop in volume, not total silence.
SouthofHeaven

Postby SouthofHeaven » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:26 am

Same problem here. :evil:
Who's a jigga wha?
tunaleg

Postby tunaleg » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:25 am

I noticed it so I exchanged it for another copy but same problem. Pretty disappointing.. I'm going to write to Paramount.
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:22 am

I'm glad to see people planning to write to Paramount. While I know the main problem everyone has is the audio, don't hesitate to mention the opening titles oversight too (708-715 are supposed to have a different opening than 701-707, but they don't on the DVD).
BruceIt

Re: Volume inconsitancy on S7 DVD?

Postby BruceIt » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:04 am

embersxfade wrote:Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the audio track during the theme/intro on the episodes on the season 7 dvds was a lower volume than the audio in the rest of the episode as well as in a few points during some episodes, or if it was just me or simply my set. Thanks a ton.

Man, I already ordered a copy in the mail. I hope my doesn't suck!

The 2nd session box set has that same problem with the audio. Would you guys say the problem is worse the same or better with session 7 on DVD?
South Park, just only kicks the crap out of all shows on TV, along side with Conan O' Brien and Dave Chappelle!!!
velvetsack

Postby velvetsack » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:41 am

john706 wrote:am i the only one who has a copy of season 7 that plays fine?

nope. mine sounds great.
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:37 am

BruceIt wrote:The 2nd session box set has that same problem with the audio. Would you guys say the problem is worse the same or better with session 7 on DVD?

First of all, it's "season," not "session."

Secondly, the only problem with the audio on the Season 2 DVDs is that Matt and Trey's intros are at a much lower volume than the actual episodes. The volume fluctuations on these Season 7 DVDs actually occur during episodes themselves, which makes them more annoying.
JDG128

Even weirder thing about the audio

Postby JDG128 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:39 am

If you switch to the second audio track and listen past the point where Matt and Trey's commentary stops, the episode audio sounds just fine, like how it SHOULD sound on the main audio track.
BruceIt

Postby BruceIt » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:19 am

JDG128 wrote:
BruceIt wrote:The 2nd session box set has that same problem with the audio. Would you guys say the problem is worse the same or better with session 7 on DVD?

First of all, it's "season," not "session."

Secondly, the only problem with the audio on the Season 2 DVDs is that Matt and Trey's intros are at a much lower volume than the actual episodes. The volume fluctuations on these Season 7 DVDs actually occur during episodes themselves, which makes them more annoying.

HAHAHA ok, "sorry."

Damn thats sucks ass too!
South Park, just only kicks the crap out of all shows on TV, along side with Conan O' Brien and Dave Chappelle!!!
JDG128

Letter to Paramount

Postby JDG128 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:08 pm

Those of you who are bothered enough by the volume fluctuations that you would like Paramount to make available corrected versions of these DVDs, send a nicely written letter to

Paramount Pictures
ATTN: Home Entertainment Dept.
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

As an example, here's the letter I'm gonna send:

[quote:03020]To Whomever It May Concern:

I am writing to express my disappointment with the South Park – The Complete Seventh Season DVD box set. There are a couple of flaws which I would like to bring to your attention.
The bigger of the two problems involves the audio. The volume of spoken dialogue throughout all three discs tends to fluctuate, specifically when a character is speaking over background music. It is not merely a matter of the musical underscoring being louder than the dialogue; the dialogue can be heard to actually drop as the underscoring picks up, and rise back up to normal a second after the music stops. The problem is particularly noticeable when the underscoring contains heavy bass. While the dialogue is not entirely inaudible at these moments, it is certainly noticeable enough to annoy. I am sure that it is not only my copy of the box set, as others on the forums at the show’s official Website, http://www.southparkstudios.com, have reported having the same flaw with their box set, some even going so far as to return their copy only to find the replacement is the same. At the time that I write this letter, one such discussion about the problem can be found here: http://www.southparkstudios.com/fans/bb ... hp?t=18699
Oddly enough, on the secondary audio track, when Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s short commentary concludes a few minutes into an episode, and the episode audio becomes audible for the remainder, it sounds much louder, clearer, better overall than the main audio track. If the main audio track sounded as good as the audible episode audio does on audio track 2, it would be perfect.
The second flaw seems to be more of an oversight than a defect. As televised on Comedy Central, episodes 708-715 should have different opening titles than episodes 701-707, but on the DVDs, the openings remain the same throughout all 15 episodes.
I hope that you will consider issuing a recall, or perhaps simply making corrected DVDs available for free, with proof of purchase of course, for those who wish to acquire corrected DVDs. At the very least, I hope this letter will help to ensure that similar problems do not occur on future releases. I have been very pleased with your DVD box sets for South Park Seasons 3 through 6, which have all been far superior to my Warner Bros. releases of Seasons 1 and 2. If this letter does not help to wipe this smudge from your near-perfect track record with South Park DVDs, in the form of corrected DVDs, then I hope that it will at least help you to get back on track. I look forward to buying Season 8 in the fall.

Thank you for reading,
xxxxxxxxx[/quote:03020]
Last edited by JDG128 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cows Go

Postby Go Cows Go » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:59 am

This may sound crazy but I have the same audio problems when playing the DVD's in the Den area on the Samsung DVD player. However on the Magnavox DVD player in my room it is perfect. Not sure whats up with that. Anyone else noticed differences with different players?
...South Park Elementary Cows...
...The Greatest Tradition in Dodgeball History...
JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:32 am

I first watched the DVDs on my portable DVD player wearing headphones and didn't notice the problem. When I watched on the DVD player hooked up to my surround sound, that's where I first noticed the problem. Based on my personal experience, I would say it's a matter of what you're listening through (headphones, surround sound, or just your TV's speaker), not the DVD player you're using. The people who don't report having this problem probably do have it but don't notice it because they're just using their TV's own speaker.

Still, if I can't enjoy my DVD through my surround speakers, it's enough of a problem to try to get fixed.
silvy696

Postby silvy696 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:51 pm

well, i've noticed this problem on my DVD player in the living room and even with my TV w/ DVD player built-in that's in my room. It does bother me for sure, so i will also be sending a letter to Paramount.
timmy1492

Postby timmy1492 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:42 pm

just curious, haven't bought the dvds yet...

has anyone who is complaining about the audio turned off the dialog normalization on their dvd players?

if it is off and there is still a noticeable dropout in audio, could mean that it is a mix issue.
3 People Parking1019

Postby 3 People Parking1019 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:29 pm

did any of ya'll have a problem with when butters farts on cartman on "christian rock hard"? on my dvd, when butters farts on him, you like cant hear it at all. it's as if butters just stuck his butt in cartman's face. other than that, i havent had any audio problems at all.

did any of ya'll also notice that they never change the theme song for the second half of season 7? from "south park is gay" and on, the theme song is supposed to have new pictures and stuff, but they keep the same one the whole dvd. any one else notice?
What do weird people and poor people have in common?

Weird people make no sense.
Poor people make no cents.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”