"South Park: The Stick of Truth" GOTY 2014!!!

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Niels0827

Re: "South Park: The Stick of Truth" out on Marxh 4, 2014

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:02 pm

mo303564 wrote:Some minor dissapointments. I wanted to FIGHT the Crab People, not friend them :? Also there's no Satan/Sadam :( Also no Mecha-Streisand. Oh, and the Hells Pass Hospital isn't there. I also wish I could visit more houses like Clyde, Craig, and Tweeks. Would have loved to visit the Holiday Crap hotel. Also wish there was Imaginationland, or the Angels in Heaven battle. I mean, I know not EVERYTHING could be done in this, but I feel as if a little more could have been done, because yea the game is a quick finish.

For every new location they add, they would have to add a side quest or plot addon to go with it to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, it's too much effort for too little return. Given the game was delayed multiple times and they were working on a strict timetable, it was out of the question. I think it would be fantastic DLC, but Obsidian isn't going to go down that road, since many diehard fans are happy enough with the game as it is. And despite watching the show since day one, I didn't even notice Hell's Pass was absent. In more recent seasons, Hell's Pass has become almost completely irrelevant.

I would have personally liked for the game to be longer, but I'd probably say this no matter how long it was, anyway. I understand why it isn't longer than it is. Unfortunately, Obsidian's decision to scrap the proposed multiplayer mode damaged its replay value, even though it's still very good for an RPG. I've also heard some people elsewhere complaining that they beat it in one day. If you beat it in a day, you either have no life, or you cheated. Most of us in the real world have pre-existing priorities such as work, school, errands, kids, and sleeping which would prevent us from completing the game in any less than 2 days after we start it, so I don't pay attention to those crybabies. You'd have to be like that fat World of Warcraft slob to be able to relate to these people.

And the key to taking out the Secret Service agents is to use multiple speed potions and attacks that target multiple opponents, wiping out the weakest first. I believe the weakest is the one in the back.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Consider that some people took the day off work to buy the game and beat it.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Big-Will wrote:Consider that some people took the day off work to buy the game and beat it.

Then they shouldn't complain that they completed it so quickly. Even though it was one of the best games I've ever played and a huge gift for us fans, it's not a total mass-market game like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, or Halo, which are designed to appeal to wider and more inclusive audiences. Some people who don't watch the show regularly at all will play The Stick of Truth, and they will thoroughly enjoy it, but the game was made for South Park fans; not diehard gamers who look for shit to nitpick about. And it was definitely not ever made to last half as long as games that sell over 30 million copies. I don't think the game's duration was any setback whatsoever. I prefer an amazing game that's short to a longer game that's dull, unfunny, and unexciting.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:11 pm

Man this game is cool I bought it on Friday, currently up to fighting Craig. I loved the old graphics while I was in Canada. It's so cool to interact with the South Park folk. The only set back was the censored scenes during randy's abortion it seems like I lost some gameplay but this game is just like an awesome South Park movie.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
triplemultiplex

Re: "South Park: The Stick of Truth" GOTY 2014!!!

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:39 pm

I just wish they could've done some sort of multiplayer with TSOT. It's fun as sh*t, but I would absolutely love to be able to fight other players.
One of the appeals of the Tower Defense game was teaming up with yo' friends to whoop some ass.

Can you say, "expansion pack"? :mrgreen:

You read it! You can't unread it!
Valentine Lovecraft

Postby Valentine Lovecraft » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:49 pm

haven't been here in ages lol.

this game was very good, especially for a game that's geared just towards fans of the show rather than gamers. I also noticed theres some subtle things I didn't notice b4. I don't wanna ruin anything but im sure I woint when I say theres two ways to take down the gun in the abortion place. I noticed the other way when I watched pewdiepie playing.

only bad thing is I don't think theres a huge amount of replay value.

ntw has anyone got all the trophies yet.
Valentine Lovecraft

Postby Valentine Lovecraft » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:53 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:Now that my thumb is rested, I think it's time to get back to it! (Seriously, my right thumb got stiff last night. Probably had something to do with me not being around my Xbox for a while and snow removal activities earlier in the day.)

lol were u trying to do that take a sh*t minigame at all.
Ser Douchebag

Postby Ser Douchebag » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 pm

The game was pretty good IMO, short but good nonetheless. Still haven't managed to get all the achievements though. Regardless it was evident Matt & Trey put alot of work into writing the game script, which is incidentally waaaay harder than a normal episode script. Anyways I have high hopes that they'll make a DLC because if they do, I'll be throwing my money at it no questions asked.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue May 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Bumping the primary TSOT thread because I have been reunited with my Xbox.
I wanted to mention how funny it is that I'm working my way through Canada in the game right before I actually go to Canada.

Okay, maybe it's not funny, but it is smile-worthy.

BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue May 20, 2014 9:58 pm

Hooray for regular work?

I've got it. It's still in my "to-do" pile.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:05 am

Managed to wrap up most of the game before work took me away from my Xbox again. There's still a kindergartener out their for me to find, but I think that's it.

Couple of tips I'd give to other folks.
Don't do the Al Gore/Manbearpig side mission until later in the game when you're more powerful or you'll be stuck with Al Gore spamming your 'facebook' until you can beat him.
Buy the "Sweet Katana" from Jimbo's Guns as soon as you can afford it. That weapon kicks serious ass.
Gross damage is only useful in the first half. (No spoilers as to why.)
There are side missions that give you the ability to call in some character to wipe out all the enemies in a non-boss fight. You can only use them once a "day" (that's a day in the game, not the real world). But you've gotta go back to that character to enable that ability every "day" of the game, it's not automatically available.
Speed potion. I used it more than any other. It lets you attack twice in a row. Keep a lot in your inventory.

The entire game is one treat after another for a big fan of the show. There may be a reference to every single episode somewhere in the game. The overarching plot was great and fit in to the established South Park universe wonderfully. I loved the puzzle elements to STOT. The game rewards you for being observant. It's also great that it bucks the current trend of forcing you to be online to play. There's no need for that in a single player game and I'm glad STOT didn't get sucked in by that crap.
Lastly, I will speculate that since the Black Friday trilogy from last season was written specifically to launch the game and the game was delayed, I bet those three episodes had large parts done a year ago. The game doesn't make as much sense without those three episodes, so I have to assume it was all part of a grand plan to have them come out near to the release. If the game was basically done a year ago but got held up by corporate bullsh*t, then it's likely those episodes were also partly complete. I can't wait for the commentaries and/or extras for season 17 so I can find out.

AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:48 am

Last week, I downloaded TSOT for my Steam account.

Fun stuff, all right! I've just made it to Day Two, and am finishing up some missions, as well as "friending" the Hankeys!

One thing I especially love about this game is the nostalgia. Different characters from the show's history, a school trophy case displaying some that are gone (Crabtree, Chef, Pip, et al)...And some of the music heard going into certain buildings...It's great hearing the old Chef songs again, among other things!

I've got a long way to go, I'm sure, but the best thing about this is that I saved some bucks when I bought it. Steam is having its sale on most of its games, and I saved twenty bucks on it!

Better than the full $60, anyway.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”