The Thread That Must Not Be Named

Check here for all the hottest topics!

Moderator: Big-Will

albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Fri May 11, 2007 10:41 pm

plk12345 wrote:
http://www.errantskeptics.org/Quotes_by_Presidents.htm

well kts, you easily posted a militant atheist site. i could post a fundamentalist site right now with other quotes :lol:

Why is everything brought down to "evil" atheists with you?
Email notifications do matter, people.
plk12345

Postby plk12345 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 pm

SuperMaids wrote:OK, i can see what you guys mean about PLK now... he can be a bit forceful. But KTS can be too, especially when it comes to messages in his fanfic (examples include the Athiest section of Hell in Kyle Must Die) that always seem to relate to religion in some way or other (not that i'm disresepcting his writing style, it's far better than mine and i did love some of his less 'philosophical' stories). And when the rest of you refuse to answer the guy's simple request that you actually tell him WHAT HE DID WRONG (hey kts, retard, give me an example) it makes you just as bad as he is; maybee if you told him what he did wrong, he'd change? Just maybee?
I must restate my oppinion to Nojo, that any thread that simply exists to post hate mail about one member (in this case, and at this point in the thread, that member is PLK, who as far as i'm concerned is being persecuted for A) being a concieted idiot who can't word himself well and B) because he has different beliefes to the rest of you) is just plain wrong, unless the guy's doing something agaist forum rules or has been a total jerk.
I don't admire Hitler's supremicist policies, only his skills in turning a perfectly rational people into a bloodthirsty mob; but i still haven't found any posts of HIS that actually say anything racist. Can anyone actually give examples, or were you making it all up? Or does a support of a religion that includes some racist members among it's many millions make him a supremicist (not meaning to sound too much of an ass-face here).
And never say that someone can't support the opposition without actually being him, it makes you look a little ! No mean to be insulting here, but you should acknowledge that maybee you're not always a member of the total majority in a debate (even if you are right).
But besides that, Please, just admit that you can both be wrong, in some respects, and make the peace. No more flaming, huh guys?

yea, i can be a bit forcefull. But everything i say is justified. I was flamed from my very first post. im actually very reasonable when it comes down to regular debate, instead of mindless infantile flaming :roll:
nojo

Postby nojo » Fri May 11, 2007 11:42 pm

[quote="plk12345":03901]I was flamed from my very first post.[/quote:03901]
I'm not sure starting with [i:03901]Idiots, don't you realize[/i:03901] makes the best introduction.

(Oh, and regarding the argument of that first post: the word "genocide" wasn't coined until 1943. Does this mean that what it describes didn't exist before then, or that we would be anachronistic to use the term?)
Troll Whisperer
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sat May 12, 2007 1:13 am

SuperMaids wrote:And when the rest of you refuse to answer the guy's simple request that you actually tell him WHAT HE DID WRONG it makes you just as bad as he is; maybee if you told him what he did wrong, he'd change? Just maybee?

I've known other people in the past who act like PLK and resort to flinging personal insults. People who willingly engage in that activity with hostility simply should not expect to earn any respect from fellow forumers unless they mend their ways.

And never say that someone can't support the opposition without actually being him, it makes you look a little ! No mean to be insulting here, but you should acknowledge that maybee you're not always a member of the total majority in a debate.

We wouldn't be here having a debate on a debate if PLK acted maturely and not resorted to mindless insults. Check the last pages of the latest Abortion thread in OT to see how PLK's posting habits were unacceptable. If someone else made the same arguments but didn't resort to petty flame wars when rebutted, that person would have gained more respect.

But besides that, Please, just admit that you can both be wrong, in some respects, and make the peace. No more flaming, huh guys?

Debates are simply not intended for developing consensus, but rather to persuade people to accept one side over the other (or to reinforce one's thoughts). Applying the Golden Mean is counterproductive for persuasion purposes.

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat May 12, 2007 1:24 am

SuperMaids wrote:But KTS can be too, especially when it comes to messages in his fanfic (examples include the Athiest section of Hell in Kyle Must Die) that always seem to relate to religion in some way or other (not that i'm disresepcting his writing style, it's far better than mine and i did love some of his less 'philosophical' stories).

How was that forceful? I hardly did anything worse than what Matt and Trey have done on the show, and in fact, I even went out of my way to be fair when it came to presenting my ideas. Don't you recognize when something is intended to be humorous?
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat May 12, 2007 1:30 am

plk12345 wrote:
>http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers.html

well kts, you easily posted a militant atheist site. i could post a fundamentalist site right now with other quotes :lol:

You do of course realize that pathological lying doesn't typically help your credibility; the same credibility you've been trying to salvage in the majority of your recent posts. It's your own fault that nobody buys into your bullsh*t, and your own fault for instigating flame wars by resorting to personal attacks from your very first post. You're starting to sound like a crybaby who is in way over his head.

How has Penis Licking Klansman been a hypocrite? Let me count the ways...
SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Sat May 12, 2007 1:35 am

How was that forceful? I hardly did anything worse than what Matt and Trey have done on the show, and in fact, I even went out of my way to be fair when it came to presenting my ideas. Don't you recognize when something is intended to be humorous?

All i can say is that i'm sorry. I dodn't get some of the humour in that piece, and think it's a little more overtlyl philosophical than anything Matt and Trey would do, but it was well written and hilarious in parts (Jesus fighting Kenny= class). I guess i was just angry at you because of some other athiests that try very hard to discredit all religion for no good reason.
Now, on to O'brian; as far as i recall, you were trashing PLK before he was even on this thread, which is wrong as the guy couldn't defend himself; now he's here, i'll leave it up to him if he sees fit to deal with you, but still, you do seem to have started the insults here. Maybee he just used insults because he couldn't think of a good reply; if i recall, i just insulted you in another thread (sorry for that, when you read it) because i couldn't think of a good argument. Maybee it's you'r tone?
OK, good point about PLK and abortion; i'm totaly opposed to him, and the way he conducted himself, in that instance. But just because of the way he acted in one thread, does that mean you have a right to turn a thread into a collection of hate mail directed towards him and him alone?
OK, i just wantedto see this apocylipse end before it had begun, as i know neither side's ever gonna concede. I've seen rivalries between posters like this run on for years on other sites (http://www.GameFAQs.com has a silent hill 2 forum with a lot of this going back to 2002, for example) without anyone conceding defete to this day.
nojo

Postby nojo » Sat May 12, 2007 2:00 am

SuperMaids wrote:you were trashing PLK before he was even on this thread, which is wrong as the guy couldn't defend himself

I respect your chivalry, but I think it's misplaced -- this thread is (or was) a kind of lounge, where you can trash the troll of your choice without engaging in direct debate.

Of course, the troll you trash must be worthy -- Notty set a high standard, and this thread was recently revived because someone thought PLK met that standard. High honor, that.

All this may be too meta for its own good, but that's the history. And with no fresh episodes until fall, not much else to do around here...
Troll Whisperer
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sat May 12, 2007 2:09 am

SuperMaids wrote:as far as i recall, you were trashing PLK before he was even on this thread, which is wrong as the guy couldn't defend himself; now he's here, i'll leave it up to him if he sees fit to deal with you, but still, you do seem to have started the insults here. Maybee he just used insults because he couldn't think of a good reply; if i recall, i just insulted you in another thread (sorry for that, when you read it) because i couldn't think of a good argument. Maybee it's you'r tone?

Honestly, I don't see why you have to create such a big fuss over something this trival. If certain people are not capable of being respectable, everyone else will naturally find it hard to be courteous towards percieved trolls.

But just because of the way he acted in one thread, does that mean you have a right to turn a thread into a collection of hate mail directed towards him and him alone?

If you care to notice, I never resorted to engaging in flame wars when debating; I've always stuck to my arguments and nothing more.

OK, i just wantedto see this apocylipse end before it had begun, as i know neither side's ever gonna concede. I've seen rivalries between posters like this run on for years on other sites (http://www.GameFAQs.com has a silent hill 2 forum with a lot of this going back to 2002, for example) without anyone conceding defete to this day.

To be frank, the Internet can be quite a rough place if someone behaves foolishly. If you can't handle such treatment, then harsh. *shrugs*

SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Sun May 13, 2007 2:26 am

If you care to notice, I never resorted to engaging in flame wars when debating; I've always stuck to my arguments and nothing more.

Mmm...kay. My bad there. that point was more directed to this thread at large, but i haven't seen any flaming for a while now.
if someone behaves foolishly

And you don't think getting embroiled in time consuming and passionate debates with people half way across the world from you who you're never gonna meet isn't foolish in and of itself, let alone on threads like this, where the issue isn't a big thing abortion or why Kenny and Stan have so many slash fics written about them or religious fundamentalismn, but about an internet 'Troll' who hasn't posted here for over a year?
On a side note, I just thought I'd ask how much free time O'Brian has; He manages to give imendely long, well thought out and structured responses to even the most trivial of posts made way past midnight on the least relevant thread on the net. Not to be disrespectful or too off topic or anything, but I seriously would like to have that much time on my hands...[/quote]
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 am

SuperMaids wrote:And you don't think getting embroiled in time consuming and passionate debates with people half way across the world from you who you're never gonna meet isn't foolish in and of itself, let alone on threads like this, where the issue isn't a big thing abortion or why Kenny and Stan have so many slash fics written about them or religious fundamentalismn, but about an internet 'Troll' who hasn't posted here for over a year?

Last I checked, we haven't been talking about the troll from last year for at least the last 15 posts now. Also, don't go off telling people that online debates are foolish when you're currently engaged in one yourself. Practice what you preach, eh?

On a side note, I just thought I'd ask how much free time O'Brian has

I'm not authorized to answer that question at this time. :D

SuperMaids

Postby SuperMaids » Tue May 15, 2007 1:11 am

I meant the bashing PLK's been taking, if you didn't guess... but, yeah, you did hit me square in the nuts with that 'practice what you preach' one. I actually thought about that before posting the message, then i thought; screw it, i'm a hypoctitcal idiot and, In the words of Cartman, "I do what i want!"
Edduyasha

Re: The Thread That Must Not Be Named

Postby Edduyasha » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Damn...things really were that crazy back then during the Great Flame-War of...I dunno...before my time.

Sorry I'm necroing the thread...I'm just lurking around and there's no one online right now...
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:17 pm

Edduyasha wrote:Damn...things really were that crazy back then during the Great Flame-War of...I dunno...before my time.

Yeah, you don't even wanna know about the whole PLK fiasco...
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:21 pm

swellman7 wrote:
Edduyasha wrote:Damn...things really were that crazy back then during the Great Flame-War of...I dunno...before my time.

Yeah, you don't even wanna know about the whole PLK fiasco...

I've heard about it, and it sounds so insanely inflammatory to all that were involved.

Was it even bigger than the LJ thing and the Mewster incidents?

:shock:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)

Return to “Hot Topics”