Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug

Re: What Did You Do Today?

Postby BRMBug » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:56 am

So far; Woke up.
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:14 am

just wrote a rationale about the messages of an episode that just aired and will now watch tv and make dinner.....
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Came to the message board to catch up on unapproved posts and new members.
The South Park Scriptorium

Favorite Character: Chef (RIP, for reals this time)
Favorite Episode: Anyone with Butters in it.
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Smoked two cigarettes (the doctor said I could, again), got my mom some manga for Christmas.

This year doesn't feel like Christmas.
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:35 pm

I woke up at 4, decided not to go back to sleep, but spend time online, went to work, had dinner with some friends, exercised, took a shover, and now I'm online, waiting for my friend to come back from work, so we could have a beer. Busy day!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 pm

I got to count vacuum cleaners today. hoo-ray. :|
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Let's see...I woke up at around 10-11-ish this morning and I ended up finishing a random song remix that's now up on soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/gammaworks/bc-mistakes-remix

...then I had home-made pizza with one of my roommates. It was quite good. :P

Yeah, not much besides that, lol.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:18 am

Nice! I like it. =)
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Cutting an essay that overshot it's word count by about 20% down.

It's on how plants sense danger like drought or freezing and how they respond. Unlike animals, they can't move away from the problem and have to endure it by turning on genes that help it survive. Receptors on the cell surface sense the problem and send a message to the DNA deep inside the cell, which responds; the message is calcium.

Interesting, as animals use calcium to sense stuff too! When light hits our retina or sound hits our ears, it lets calcium in the cells, signaling the nerves to fire. When nerves hit muscles, they cause calcium in the muscle to rise, which makes the muscle contract. Obviously the plant has no nerves or muscles so this has to have evolved completely independently. Since so many other molecules could've done the same job in the 2 organisms, it's interesting that calcium is what ended up doing the job in both.

That the same atom (calcium) can communicate lots of different things between the cell surface and the DNA is cool. The plant seems to use Morse-code like dot-dash pulses of Calcium to encode different information.

I watched a bunchof videoson syntheticbiology too. I didn't know the difference between that and GM before today. Thought it was a marketing term. I guess i learned something today!

I wasted an hour arguing with some idiots in the comments section of some news stories too, as usual.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Maybe calcium as a message carrier evolved in earlier life forms?
Mamont

Postby Mamont » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am

What a day! I was supposed to take a pick-up truck from our storage (that is pretty close to where I live) first thing in the morning and pick up beer bottles, but I completely forgot. So, when I got to work a coworker drove me there (he had to go there anyway).
On my way I got pulled over by cops and got a speeding ticket. I was going 53 km/h (33 mph) in 40 (25) zone. That's €25 down the drain.
When I got to the bottle factory, they said I'll have to go across the border to Slovenia to their storage (the factory is just by the border). When I got to the customs, they sent me back because my ID has expired few weeks ago. So I had to go home take my passport, and that took an hour and a half.
Back in brewery I hit my shin on the tank. That was painful. ._.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 pm

That's quite possibly the most "Monday" Monday I think i've heard of yet. Although we've been dealing with the aftermath of being oversold on some appliances today, so tracking down and righting the wrong has just been a f*cking blast.
Mozy

Postby Mozy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Enjoyed my day off from work that went way too quick. I slept in until 9:30ish (which doesn't happen often, even on days off), played a bunch of Stick of Truth, went to the gym, and just got back from dinner.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm

I counted an aisle's worth of random stuff and assembled 2 grills today. Doesn't sound like much but one was a 55-gallon drum type charcoal grill that took a surprising hour and a half to put together. The other was a small standing propane unit that took 20 mins. :|

Return to “Hot Topics”