*902* Die Hippie, Die

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Postby Arditistheking » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:42 am

Nuff' said.

Postby Synaxary » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:38 am

AWESOME. Just an awesome episode.

Postby IFaked » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:41 am

Re: *902* Die Hippie, Die

Postby Female345 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:36 pm

A great and hilarious episode.

Re: *902* Die Hippie, Die

Postby Aidsburger » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:03 am

"The pilots will be safe from the pot smoke and the crappy music outside" - Cartman

Mr. Parker must be venting through Cartman his frustration that Mr. Anastasio registered the domain name trey.com before he got a chance to :lol: , as I can assure you that Phish (the main band being parodied, for those who didn't know) do anything but play "crappy music", to my ears at least.

Nah, but seriously: As an extreme metal fanatic turned hippie/jam band fanatic, this episode is hilarious and they did hit the nail on the head in a few areas, one of which being that metalheads and jam music lovers don't often see eye to eye, and another being the amount of pot and LSD consumed at jam shows.

That being said, humorous as this was, and much as I laugh while watching it, a couple of small misconceptions to clear up (admittedly, mostly due to my own bit of angst over having watched this with metalhead friends and being relentlessly criticized for my changed path):

1. Matt and Trey have claimed on their commentary for this episode to dislike the idea that jam bands put on concerts that they claim are for a cause bigger than just being a concert, or something to that effect. I didn't notice this at any of the jam shows I've been to. People get high and listen to music, true, but not once have I heard the performers or audience members claim they were doing anything more than that.
2. Even if not truly changing the world for the better from a political perspective or an economic perspective: The more positive/upbeat personalities we have in this often dreary world, the better. That is, in my mind, even if it comes as a result of smoking pot nonstop, every hippie I've known has been bright and cheery and almost always smiling. I guess, even if a bit disingenuous about their accomplishments, I view the positive energy most hippies express toward others as something that truly benefits the world for the better.
3. Hippies are nonviolent/pacifistic by nature. Just my take on the matter, but I think this is only a good thing.
4. All of the points I've already covered are general and cover modern-day hippie subculture. The hippie movement as it actually existed in the 1960s, in addition to being based around the idea of cultural, spiritual, and intellectual enlightenment, gave birth to some outstanding musical trends, without which we wouldn't have modern jam music or modern heavy metal. Sure, we would've gotten from jazz/blues to metal at some point, but psychedelic rock - a genre which the hippies and their experimentation with drugs was almost solely responsible for creating - paved the way in significant fashion.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with individuals who are metalheads, goths, or whatever other clique one belongs to - so long as they are respectful and kind individuals. I'm just merely clearing up misconceptions about hippies as I don't really see why/how being a hippie is a bad thing, and there seems to be a lot of hate going on around here.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”