*1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby ShaneHaughey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:47 am

Truder wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Truder wrote:1- The Indie rape scenes were ALL parodies of movies that had rape scenes, basically shot by shot. People who know film would get the joke, and people who have seen the movies will get them. Plus, the other joke is that Indiana Jones is a fictional character and that by screwing up the franchise with IJ:TCS they have raped your memories of him.
2- When was South Park guilt free? Was it when young preteen kids yelled curses at aliens? When one of the kids was killed every week? When a piece of sh*t is a valued member of Christmas? When one of the "mothers" was a hermaphrodite?
South Park has never been guilt free. Ever.
....

It's not that I dont get it. Or that I'm even bitching nor did I even suggest the show to be cancled. Some cainite trash suggested that I said this which is false. If the show needs to go to such shocking lengths to say "indiana was raped" then I'm saying the show has gone from decent to corrupt as hell. I dont feel like dehumanizing myself for a laugh. I'll let the pieces fall where they may.

That's the thing though: South Park has never been decent and it isn't corrupt. You weren't supposed to laugh at the rape itself- you were supposed to laugh at how well the movie references fit into the theme of, "They raped Indiana Jones".
There have been episodes before this that have been much, much worse and if this is your line then my question to you is this:
How long ago was that line crossed? The show has done much worse.


It has done much worse. How much worse can it get? The border between down right evil and morbid has been crossed many a times and I feel robbed of a show that brought me a lot of joy. Perhaps I shouldnt of used the word "decent" but I meant "watchable." The show is corrupt, sir. Mat and Trey both have said their goal was to get to hollywood and sell out as quick as possible. Now its all about taking dehumanizing subjects and working them into a plot for the dumbed down jaded public. Wake up or dont. I've taken the red pill.


First off, I find it comical that if someone doesn't agree, they are wrong and need to wake up. Mature.

Secondly, you say it has done much worse and you still watched it before. So your point about this episode rings even more hollow since you are a hypocrite, even if you are right.

Third, I know someone who has been raped(In my family.) She thought it was a funny episode and wasn't offended- maybe because she is mature and doesn't live in a bubble like you, but it is more likely because rape itself was never the subject of comedy. The subject of comedy were the parodies and the knowledge that L&S haven't changed from season six in their vile ways.

Fourth, you're right, the show is corrupt. It has been corrupt since day one. I've known this and still laughed because if you don't laugh at something you let it rule your very soul. You let this rule your soul, you go do that. Be weak. Be cowed. I'll stand back and laugh at the world as it throws sh*t at me and I persevere- you go bitch about it.

Fifth, enjoy the red pill. Everyone else, myself included, took it as well. It actually turns out to be pain reliever. I know, spoils the Matrix.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
DarthSeraphim
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:15 am

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby DarthSeraphim » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:44 am

Great episode, though it seems to have to many things happening all at once. this episode could have been two completely different episodes.
avyion12
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby avyion12 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 pm

I found this to be an amazing south park episode. it had amazing animation with the faces (lmao) was completely retarded, but most of all a great moral atthe end. this is the south park i have come to love, keep this up matt and trey, just too good.
superiorsavior
Posts: 4261
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

I wish they'd stop it with the movie parodies; I could watch Meet the Spartans if I wanted random movie references, I want something that's worth referencing in itself!
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
CartmanMills
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby CartmanMills » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 pm

could watch Meet the Spartans if I wanted random movie references,


Eurgh. Just as I was living life without the title of that crappy movie ever coming into my life, you brought it up. DAMN YOOOOUUUUUUUU! :D

But I wanted to comment on something Knobb brought up - that he likes the episode because it pissed so many of it's fans off that it's good? Really? See, that doesn't work for me. That would probably be the most lamebrain idea ever - M&T have nothing to gain from alienating viewers. That's exactly what's happening - people are starting to hate South Park for being movie references constantly and being unfunny. Fair enough for people who liked this - nothing wrong with that. But for me, the idea that this episode was funny because people criticised it for being unfunny doesn't work. How does that make sense? That would be somewhat sabotaging itself for no reason other than to attack fans who hold South Park up such to high standards. That would lose viewers through all sorts of means and do more damage in the long run - nah, this episode is grinding at some people because it's just so different now that it just raises smiles, not belly-laughter like it used to.
Nerys
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Nerys » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 pm

Matt and Trey have always said that, since they look up to Monty Pythons so much, they've always wanted to do the same thing they did with the Flying Circus: become more and more awkward and incomprehensible.
It's true that South Park is getting more and more cryptical, dark, metaphorical, sometimes even difficult. Maybe it's not as funny as it used to be. But I like the way the show's evolving, in my opinion it makes it much more committed and mature.
But I also understand people who don't like it and can't relate to the show anymore.
To me, it's just a matter of deciding whether or not it's still worth your time.
It's definitely worth mine, and I still think South Park is the most intelligent and rovolutionary thing on television today.

And, yes, I also think that being able to piss off not only general viewers, but even THEIR OWN FANS is part of Matt and Trey's genius... :mrgreen:
Yozuka
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Yozuka » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:58 pm

Okay, first of I'm too lazy to go into an in depth analysis on everything wrong with this episode, but I need this of my chest.

This was the worst episode since lice capades.
I mean, I have all the respect for the creators, for making past gems and 10 seasons that were near flawless.
But goddamit
....
goddamit
...
You get a topic as rich as rising China and the best you can do are hasu-hasu jokes!? Jezus Christ -_-'
DanielG
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby DanielG » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Still funny guy. Like everyone else says why watch it then bitch about it on a message board other than try to get attention? Hurro Prease.
loveable rascal
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:46 am

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby loveable rascal » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 am

i've been hearing a lot of complaints about this episode, mainly that it's antisemetic (which is hilarious in itself). is there something i'm missing?
Big-Will
Board Moderator
Posts: 18698
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:57 am

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Big-Will » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:21 am

loveable rascal wrote:i've been hearing a lot of complaints about this episode, mainly that it's antisemetic (which is hilarious in itself). is there something i'm missing?

Yom Kippur
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Yozuka
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Yozuka » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:40 am

DanielG wrote:Still funny guy. Like everyone else says why watch it then bitch about it on a message board other than try to get attention? Hurro Prease.


Yaaa, obviously keeping still and taking it like a bitch would have been a much better plan.

The reason I'm making this secondest most post ever is because I'm noticing there's a trend for this kind of episode. It reared it's head in season 10, it became a nuisance in 11 and now in 12, it's just frightening.

Frightening as in, SP 12 isn't trash. At least not every episode, but I've seen the same symptoms in the simpsons just before they started clogging the drain, so forgive me if I'm a bit worried and hope my voice and others can make some impact on season 13.
ShaneHaughey
Posts: 11192
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:36 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby ShaneHaughey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:22 am

Yozuka wrote:Okay, first of I'm too lazy to go into an in depth analysis on everything wrong with this episode, but I need this of my chest.

This was the worst episode since lice capades.
I mean, I have all the respect for the creators, for making past gems and 10 seasons that were near flawless.
But goddamit
....
goddamit
...
You get a topic as rich as rising China and the best you can do are hasu-hasu jokes!? Jezus Christ -_-'


I was happy that nothing big happened with the China storyline. Why? Because it annoys me when Cartman has an inkling of something being wrong in some unusual way and it turns out to be right. It was a nice change of pace that it didn't become a big political/military/conspiracy show.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Yozuka
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Yozuka » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:49 am

I didn't need a "big conspiracy show" nor wanted one.
It just would have been nice if the china subplot had at least one joke in favor or at the expense of the Chinese.
CartmanMills
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby CartmanMills » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:52 pm

And, yes, I also think that being able to piss off not only general viewers, but even THEIR OWN FANS is part of Matt and Trey's genius...


But that's not exactly 'genius' - genius is something really remarkable and smart with a brilliant outcome. As I said before, what is there to gain from annoying viewers with crap episodes? Losing them? Right. Those fans make South Park what it is - so bombarding them with episodes like these doesn't really serve anything other than to go 'Har har, gotcha! We're South Park and we can do whatever we want.'

It's not genius. It's just incredibly stupid if South Park were making their episodes bad on purpose (which is a stupid theory anyway - I just think they've changed their style of comedy for the worst).

*Yom Kipper article* - Eurgh. Listen, this episode isn't about rape. Or stereotypes. Look at the reactions of both - the rape scenes are seen as terrifying and horrible to look at, hence why people were disgusted with it the second time because it was "too much". It's supposed to garner the reaction of "argh, rape! Lucas/Spielburg are raping South Park!". The chinese stereotypes? Look at the manner that the Chinese people reacted to the whole situation - "go away, you aren't chinese, this is all stupid" - just dumb behavior by two very disturbed eight-year olds. This episode may have been incredibly lame but it's not something to be up in arms about. Everything was justified to a certain degree and the people calling Trey/Matt 'no-talent hacks' are just coming off as extremely bitter that South Park does that and doesn't really care about the circumstances.
loveable rascal
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:46 am

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby loveable rascal » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Big-Will wrote:
loveable rascal wrote:i've been hearing a lot of complaints about this episode, mainly that it's antisemetic (which is hilarious in itself). is there something i'm missing?

Yom Kippur


i knew it was aired on yom kippur, but how does that make it antisemetic?

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests