*1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

HAcoreRD

Re: *1609: Raising the Bar* Post-Air Discussion

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:42 am

Great episode with plenty of memorable moments, but 1 stands out the most to me.

During the Cartman VS Boo Boo fight, Kyle and Stan had a moment where Kyle questioned himself if they lowered the bar initially. Is Matt/Trey thinking they're responsible for the crap on TV?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:03 am

HAcoreRD wrote:Great episode with plenty of memorable moments, but 1 stands out the most to me.

During the Cartman VS Boo Boo fight, Kyle and Stan had a moment where Kyle questioned himself if they lowered the bar initially. Is Matt/Trey thinking they're responsible for the crap on TV?

I knew that someone would read that into that. I had that thought too, but I'm willing to bet not. Although Trey probably put that line in there just so people would think that.

My review will have to wait for later. I'm so tired I've nodded off twice while typing.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:32 am

Michelle Obama powerlifted a mobility scooter and slammed it on the ground. That was awesome.

The rest of it...meh. Could be so much worse, though.
pootycancerXD

Postby pootycancerXD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:44 am

Why would M&T think they contributed to the bar being lowered? Maybe when it concerns toilet humor, but not in stupidity. Honey Boo Boo is f*cking stupid as f*cking f*ck.

So I'm not sure why they added that meta moment with Stan and Kyle.

I am so glad they ripped on Honey f*cking Boo Boo. The fact that show beat SP in ratings is truly ridiculous. I hope somehow HBB watchers switched over to Comedy Central and realized how ridiculously stupid they are for watching it.

Best episode so far this season!
bc1

Postby bc1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 am

what was up with the candy corn Oreo's product placement? seems like i've been seeing more and more product placement in South Park.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 am

I wouldn't necessarily say this is a good episode, but it is better than last week's piece of crap. Some of the parts are indeed funny. Others...meh.

6/10.
JOSHSKORN

Postby JOSHSKORN » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:36 am

Not that good of an episode. The James Cameron parts were lame, IMO, although I wouldn't know what to put in place of it.

I don't watch much TV, but damn, there REALLY is a show called Honey Boo Boo?
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:45 am

Don't be so hard on yourselves, guys. Even if you really did contribute to the lowering of the "great bar" at some point in the past, along with Bill and Monica, you have done a lot more to raise it back up than James Cameron could ever dream of. And it's not your fault that the bar is still deep down there. If only raising your own personal bar wasn't that hard to do. Let's say, back to where it was in seasons 5-11? Oh, well. No budget too steep, no sea too deep……
JerWu17

Postby JerWu17 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:22 am

Well...so much for my high expectations...

The episode is just confusing. Not sure if it's because the plot jumped all over the place, or if there's just too much content for one episode. It looks like M&T started off the story and thought "wait, it's like Le Petit Tourette all over again". So they steered the story toward a different direction and then thought "wait, now it's like CBAA", and so on so forth.

I'm totally confused about Token's conspiracy, his rationale and purpose behind it, and what part Craig even has in it. Guess they had to keep the plot moving and cut out the explaining to save time. Yep...should've been a two-parter.

For the good, loved the rip on Honey Boo Boo as well as James Cameron's ego. And Michelle Obama barely managed to salvage the episode by beating the fatass up.

7/10

---

South Park definitely contributed to the "lowering of the bar" during its early years by pushing/testing the envelope of decency. But M&T slowly raised the show's sophistication over the years as they themselves become more seasoned. IMO SP reached its "sophistication" peak with Imaginationland and The List and has largely remained there since. Now it's stuff like History Channel, TLC, Fox News, and anything Michael Bay and Seth McFarlane that are lowering the bar, and South Park's the one that's calling them out for it. Oh how the roles have changed...

Favorite Characters: KYLE -- STAN -- WENDY -- BUTTERS
Favorite Character to hate: C A R T M A N !!!

Favorite Episode: THE LIST
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:33 am

I get it. This episode was created because of last week's South Park. Last week the season opener of SP (in the ratings) was beaten by Honey Boo Boo. At the end of Act II in tonight's show, Token refers to "It's only our first show of the season and we were beaten by Honey Boo Boo." <---- paraphrase, not the exact quote.

Very cleaver, M&T.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:01 am

The ripping on Honey Boo Boo was pretty funny. Have never seen the show nor Toddles and Tiaras but I think you didn't have to to get the jokes. All the 'scooter accessible' things they did for fat people/Cartman were hilarious! So terrible, I hope none of them ever happen. I didn't quite understand Token's motives for filming Cartman. Just to get money? He's already rich, didn't seem right. And what was Kyle's problem? That he was making money of it, but didn't know if that was good or not? The James Cameron jokes lost me a small bit as did the Randy Newman or whoever jokes. I didn't get what the resolution was at the end. Everyone started to see why the shows were crap because James Cameron 'raised the bar' with Avatar 2?
I knew the whole raising the bar scenes would drag the episode.
I give it 7/10. It was pretty much what I thought it would be which is neither good nor bad. But hope this means no more Cartman episodes the rest of the season.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 am

JVM wrote:- The brief moment where we see Cartman heartfelt and realizing his weight, and his subsequent confession was great. If only it was more of the episode, it really was a potentially character-changing moment. Guess that's the last we'll hear of him being "big boned."

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses a few pounds somehow and is suddenly convinced he's no longer fat.

(Note: This is just my own off-hand guess. I haven't the slightest idea what next week's episode will bring yet.)
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 am

bc1 wrote:what was up with the candy corn Oreo's product placement? seems like i've been seeing more and more product placement in South Park.

Maybe they want you to buy some for the Halloween episode.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 am

pootycancerXD wrote:I'm not sure why they added that meta moment with Stan and Kyle.

It wasn't about them, per se, but about us in general. What made "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" possible? "Toddlers and Tiaras" What made that possible? We did, when we wanted to look for original programming. And when we got bored of the programming certain channels were made for.

When was the last time The History Channel was about history?
When was the last time The Learning Channel was about learning?
Hell, when was the last time MTV was about music television?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
(ugly)Bob

Postby (ugly)Bob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am

nall wrote:
JVM wrote:- The brief moment where we see Cartman heartfelt and realizing his weight, and his subsequent confession was great. If only it was more of the episode, it really was a potentially character-changing moment. Guess that's the last we'll hear of him being "big boned."

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses a few pounds somehow and is suddenly convinced he's no longer fat.

(Note: This is just my own off-hand guess. I haven't the slightest idea what next week's episode will bring yet.)

But on the promotion for the Halloween episode, Cartman was his fat self. BUT promotions can change...
"We're all just a bunch of multi-coloured humans!"

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”