*2008: Members Only* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*2008: Members Only* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:28 am

Join us for the Live Tweet discussing what changes last week, and then the all-new episode "Members Only"!
Female345

Re: *2008: Members Only* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Female345 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:03 am

That was a good episode.
jamespuppolo

Postby jamespuppolo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:05 am

I liked the episode. The creating Darth Vader joke was done again, member? It wasn’t too bad but people may have wanted something new but with the member berries, Star Wars is popular. The stank faces of Garrison were silly. I would guess they are all of Trump’s facial expressions that I think got people to talking from The Apprentice.

So, did PCP suck Garrison’s dick and how will this turn out? I missed like 1 minute around the Super Market scene where Garrison tells people to suck his dick. So I will have to rewatch that part.

The member berry speakeasy was fun and goes back to prohibition days. I wonder if that will tie into a history backstory. The boss member berry all pruned is like the Dick Trace bad guy or maybe other mob bosses. I get the feeling that the treachery of the member berries will lead to a rebellion that will over through the boss.

Lennart is talking like The Joker with the Dark Knight “watch things burn” statement. Still he thinks things will be happy and funny like Denmark after all internet history is revealed. Lennart seems to still be someone who will die. I still think Lennart is hiding a secret like he is a troll.

Cher at the Space X was fun, she did sing good songs years ago. I want to hear about Chaz and getting away from him or someone. Butters makes me hurt as we see the third wheel effect. Butters is stealing Cartman’s chatting words and may gain Heidi. I wonder how the hell Heidi will be able to do ten years of super hard science work and find a way to get to Mars. I think there is a plan that Heidi will use the inventions that were introduced in the lab scene by Musk. She may be able to use the pizza and air tube thing somehow. I’ll have to rewatch to guess better. Maybe like a potato gun but with pizza?

I got it right and Gerald did contact Ike to help. It seems like harmless trolling Gerald is getting Ike to do from his addiction but it may be an unrevealed plan to escape. Like getting people to attack certain areas or something to fight their troll. Gerald has a troll sleight of hand.

It was funny to see Boris but I thought he wasn’t in power. Also, Putin was in this but the red hair was strange. I think we will see Boris and Putin again. There may be a WWIII.

So, Kyle has Ike and he knows dad did it. Where will he go? Cartman, Heidi, and Butters are all gone. If Kyle knows where they are than Kyle will go to Space X., but does he? If he goes first to PCP we may see him a broken man after sucking cock. There are the Bill and Bill but that may be done with. Stan and Kenny have been useless.
Say's The Naked Knight From "Ghosts 'n Goblins"
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:23 am

So first things first - Dr. Tom has his first speaking line since season 1's "Tom's Rhinoplasty", twenty years later. We've seen him in the background here and there, but it's probably the most prolonged absence of any character. His voice is a bit different, but I'll take what we got. The interior of Tom's also looks just like it did in Stick of Truth.

I'm a character guy, ya'll knew the useless trivia was coming first.

Garrison's plotline begins with some fun scenes in South Park, and even as a fan who generally enjoys PC Principal so far, it was kind of nice to see him get some payback, and the "You created me." bit leads into the effective satire later. The grocery scene was a bit more meh. The PCP scene works so well because we know exactly why he wants revenge, but Eduardo is such a random new thing it doesn't have the same strength. Notice in the SPverse, there is no wait between election and inauguration. Makes sense for a comedy show. Garrison in the White House is a good, subtle commentary on the man who's really there now, and we get to criss-cross with...

...Gerald and TrollTrace's plot returns, but there's very little plot movement. I've been derisive about episodes this season where it felt like the plots stalled, but Gerald has driven so many episodes it was nice for him to slow down until the final scenes. Drafting Ike to do the work for him was clever on Gerald's part, although it really shows how much he's taking his family for granted. Between "You don't know my wife" and the huge, built-up "What what what?" at the end, it looks like we're coming close to the second coming of Sheila Broflovski after fifteen or so years of Taking a Level in Kindness, but I can't lie, it's exciting that the true Sheila will be back, and Kyle will be back to normal.

Cartman and Heidi's arrival at SpaceX reaches it's logical conclusion of joining numerous others, although it's a little more surprising to see Butters joining them. I'm not sure if we're supposed to believe Cartman's relationship is under a genuine threat, or if it's just Cartman being jealous. I'd love to see where this leads on one hand, but on the other hand, I'm never thrilled about 'love triangles'... is Heidi really smart enough to get us to Mars? That's curious to see. Kind of hope we see her bitchy side before this is over but doubting it. Elon Musk seems like a very different man than he was two seasons ago. Pretty sure that was Bill Hader or Peter Sef's voice instead of Matt's. Probably more accurate I guess.

I don't know what the hell's going on with the Member Berries. They do some stuff, but while I find it all visually hilarious I'm not really sure what they're actually doing. Do they even have goals and objectives or are they just f*cking around? The subtle Brexit nod was effective. Was that Boris Johnson calling the White House? I know it wasn't Theresa May. Putin still looks about the same eleven years later! 'member? I just hope this is going somewhere good.

Stan, Kenny, Wendy, and most surprisingly Randy are all basically missing in this episode, all for logical reasons, but it's obviously a shame two of the show's main five characters are sidelined and even Kyle's not playing up a big role. I do hope before this ends, we get to see the Gender War really unfold and get to hear more from the kids again.

Hope Trey and Matt enjoy Thanksgiving with their families and come back with their A-game for a solid conclusion that brings this season's many disparate plot threads together in time for Christmas and a Fractured But Whole.
It was funny to see Boris but I thought he wasn’t in power.
I believe he is Foreign Secretary in Prime Minister Theresa May's Cabinet, equivalent to John Kerry in the Obama administration and... we'll soon see who in the Trump administration, although his list of choices for the position seem to mostly be domestic figures.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:06 am

7.1/10
This episode was just too overstuffed for my tastes. Furthermore, the troll plot was pretty much bland until the final scene and while the President Garrison plot started out promisingly, it unraveled poorly as the episode went on. On the plus side, the member berries' scenes in this episode were both hilarious and showed us that certain member berries are far more dangerous and malicious than others. Even though it didn't get a whole bunch of attention, the Cartman and Heidi plot was sweet. Butters was a pretty noticeable thorn in Cartman's side while starting to spout the same spiel that Lardtits has been preaching all season and Cartman's true intentions and impatience really began to leak out as well. My favorite part though was Elon Musk acknowledging and standing in awe of Heidi's awesomeness and intelligence. I really can't wait to see what Heidi can cook up now with the support of Elon Musk! Her intellect also helped Kyle to finally realize that Gerald is actually skankhunt42, so it seems like Heidi is really getting shit done this season, isn't she? Way to go, girl!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:36 am

Butters is just gonna steal her away and Cartman has no countermove for it. :mrgreen:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:42 am

Big-Will wrote:Butters is just gonna steal her away and Cartman has no countermove for it. :mrgreen:
You know, Butters and Heidi wouldn't make such a bad couple, would they? Also, I truly hope that a full version of the member berries' cover of Africa by Toto is on it's way and Elon Musk actually voiced himself in this episode.
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:50 am

nwt000 wrote:You know, Butters and Heidi wouldn't make such a bad couple, would they? Also, I truly hope that a full version of the member berries' cover of Africa by Toto is on it's way and Elon Musk actually voiced himself in this episode.
I'd love a full cover of the song, too.

BTW, episode is now available on site.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:58 am

nwt000 wrote:I truly hope that a full version of the member berries' cover of Africa by Toto is on it's way and Elon Musk actually voiced himself in this episode.
All they need is the animation. The cover is just the original song shifted up to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:07 am

Liking this season loads got to wait 2 weeks now though. I had to laugh at the Boris Johnson scene also loved that version of Africa as well. Damn these 2 weeks will go slow it's going to be an exciting last couple of episodes I feel.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
LWBMatt

Postby LWBMatt » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:37 am

So.

Elon Musk voiced himself here, eh?

There's one thing I have to say about this.

SIMPSONS DID IT!

Also, there's one tiny error or inconsistency I've noticed....

How'd she get out of Fort Collins?

Finally, here's a little minor background thing that I really love...

They're back together! When Encherito Mark appeared in You're Not Yelping with the redhead from Handicar, I was severely disappointed since he and the green jacket woman have been together since Season 12's "The China Probrem" (Enchorito Mark got shot in the balls there...) and the two haven't been shown together until this episode. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I don't really like Season 19. Anyway, this is another one for the collage!
fluffymystic.deviantart.com - my deviantART
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Eeerie, but it mirrors life as good as it always has.
Stan and Kyle :)
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:35 am

"Not those Storm Troopers."
Yeah, it's hard not to 'member those. Such a small moment in the episode, but it's full of so much ominous promise for the next episode.

My favorite scene though is the walk and talk with the generals and Garrison at the Pentagon. That just about sums it up right there. "Love me some football..."

Just when I think Gerald couldn't stoop any lower, he tries to pin his trolling on Ike. What a piece of shit. He can stay in that Danish prison for the rest of the run of South Park as far as I'm concerned. Fuck Gerald.
If Sheila isn't on the dating market by the end of the season, I will be disappointed.

The Cher call back from season 3; that was one of my favorite jokes in the history of the show so thanks for the 'minder.
I don't get the impression that Butters is scheming on Heidi. Fatass is confusing Butters being respectful to her with him wanting her. But he would make that assumption because he hasn't changed. He's still a jealous shit stain that wants the world to revolve around him.
You know what's probably going to happen is Fatass is going to do a bunch of even more insane shit to stop Heidi from finding out about what he said about the Lady Ghostbusters and wreck everyone's lives and break up with Heidi. Then she'll see what he wrote and be like, "Eh, I didn't like the new Ghostbusters either."

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:54 am

triplemultiplex wrote:I don't get the impression that Butters is scheming on Heidi.
He's not, but I can see how he and Heidi could hit it off without even trying, while Cartman has worked hard to cover his tracks and be the perfect boyfriend. One thing that's pissing Cartman off is that Butters is familiar with comediennes from the past. Lily Tomlin, Carol Burnett, Dolly Parton. Names Cartman has never mentioned to Heidi. Another thing that's pissing Cartman off is that Butters is using the same lines he did earlier in the season, even going so far as saying "I'm not sure if you know our friend, Heidi. She's really smart, and really funny." Butters doesn't see it, but Cartman is quite aware of it.
triplemultiplex wrote:Just when I think Gerald couldn't stoop any lower, he tries to pin his trolling on Ike. What a piece of shit.
He's also counting on the fact that no one's gonna punish a kid as an adult, especially a kid as young as Ike. Besides, no one outside of the trulls, the Danes, or the Obama administration knows who skankhunt42 is. Sheila and Kyle were never supposed to know either, but Ike's open door gave him away.
LWBMatt wrote:How'd she get out of Fort Collins?
Character models. They're reused all the time. What makes Janice different from the Fort Collins woman is the different colors she has on her pants and shoes.
LWBMatt wrote:Image
They're back together!
That they're next to each other doesn't mean they're back together.

LWBMatt

Postby LWBMatt » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:53 am

Big-Will wrote: Character models. They're reused all the time. What makes Janice different from the Fort Collins woman is the different colors she has on her pants and shoes.
She kinda keeps changing one part of her clothes in every appearance... in HUMANCENTiPAD she had blue pants which carried onto Fort Collins, and her red shirt from Fort Collins carried over to here... what's next, they're changing her hair color? But then again, that wouldn't really seem out of place what with reused character models.
Big-Will wrote:That they're next to each other doesn't mean they're back together.
Still, I applaud the animator who finally put them next to each other, even if it's for just one scene.

Buuut, eh. I bet I'm the only person who actually makes a fuss over shipping two background characters just because the've been appearing together a LOT since Butters shot Mark (That's what I've been calling him since TSoT) in the balls in The China Probrem... and since they seem to be the only consistent background couple.

I mean, seriously, it's hard to find background couples in this show who stay together for more than one episode unless it's a parent couple...

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT MY PERSONAL OPINIONS!

Is it wrong that I want to call the old memberberries as the "Memberprunes"? Could they be connected to Bill and Bill? I'm kinda hoping to see Hillary Clinton's pissed off side soon.... maybe a showdown with Sheila?

Also, why was Freaky Fred the English ambassador? this is just a joke btw

This season feels like it's ending too quickly... if this season ends with a cliffhanger we have to wait ONE YEAR for.... they better show Not Without My Anus as the S21 premiere.

What else to talk about.... by now I'm starting to question if this season will even tie in with The Fractured But Whole. Hell, I'm even going to question exactly how the game's going to continue after TSoT while also having elements from S20 and S19.

Still, are Stan and Wendy ever going to get a role? Kenny, I'm starting to think that he's been regulated to a background character... unless he just appears at the end of the season and go say something like "member me?" in a muffled voice.

After 3 rewatches, I'm starting to warm up to Elon's voice.

And finally.... does anyone else LOVE the musical score in Season 20? Garrison's "Hail to the Chief" background motif is epic.
fluffymystic.deviantart.com - my deviantART

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”