*2101: White People Renovating Houses* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

Re: *2101: White People Renovating Houses* Post-Air Discussion

Postby JVM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:58 am

I'm having trouble processing this one. I'm very, very divided.

The main plot is fine. I think Randy's White People Renovating Houses flipping show is an amusing enough parody, particularly the "open floor plans" runner since I'm not a big fan of those. I found it curious that Sharon was present but seemed to exhibit no enthusiasm for what they were doing - I assumed there'd be a payoff for this, like a suggestion Sharon wasn't involved somehow, but nada. As for the rednecks, Darryl Weathers' leadership of the protestors was a nice way to develop one of SP's less-used but nonetheless memorable characters a bit, and him and Randy butting heads was entertaining. As I suggested, the episode totally skips over the politics of the matter, and one can plainly see the Confederate flags remain in Weathers' updated home. I hate those HGTV shows so it was fun to see them get parodied.

The connecting thread between plots is Alexa, briefly supplanted by Siri and Google Home. Good common starting point in theory. Strongly expected a joke where Cartman actually receives a Scroat coat or something and has to pay an exorbitant amount, played for Reality Ensues, but nada. I didn't really enjoy the route taken with Heidi and Cartman's relationship - I mean, Cartman playing himself as a victim was totally the right, in-character way for him to end it, but I actually might've preferred Heidi either actually doing something wrong for the sake of doing something... or, if they had to break them up, maybe they should've just done so last season, instead of letting it continue here. A huge shame though. I was enjoying Heidi's character expansion a lot. "Girls in South Park won't be afterthoughts anymore" my ass :/ The scene with her and Ms. Cartman was really sweet, too.

So, I sound kind of down, but I mostly liked Randy's plot and found the kids' plot disappointing - this is why I don't rant about SP's focus on the adults. It always feels like the adults are being developed meaningfully as characters while for the kids, every step forward is usually next week's step back to normal.

As a side note, oh how times have changed so quickly - in S19, we have Crunchy's Microbrew set up as a 'PC college bar' in comparison to good ol' Skeeter's, which seems like the last refuge for the town's rednecks in "Where My Country Gone?" but this episode, all the rednecks - even Skeeter - are hanging out at Crunchy's. Seems to defeat the purpose of having the dual bars? Even more of a side note - Hat McCullough and Rancher Bill Denkins can be seen among the protestors, although the latter isn't in any of the bar scenes.

I don't know, if you made me rank it, 6.5/10 maybe?

(Now to get back to my 20-page analysis of Season Twenty that was supposed to be done last week...)

We now return to South Park Studios' usual stream of "I hate this show!!!"
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 am

JVM wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:58 am

The connecting thread between plots is Alexa, briefly supplanted by Siri and Google Home. Good common starting point in theory. Strongly expected a joke where Cartman actually receives a Scroat coat or something and has to pay an exorbitant amount, played for Reality Ensues, but nada. I didn't really enjoy the route taken with Heidi and Cartman's relationship - I mean, Cartman playing himself as a victim was totally the right, in-character way for him to end it, but I actually might've preferred Heidi either actually doing something wrong for the sake of doing something... or, if they had to break them up, maybe they should've just done so last season, instead of letting it continue here. A huge shame though. I was enjoying Heidi's character expansion a lot. "Girls in South Park won't be afterthoughts anymore" my ass :/ The scene with her and Ms. Cartman was really sweet, too.
Remember what Trey Parker said about how he is a fan of Cartman having a significant other, Heidi Turner, which showed a new side to the usually foul-mouthed, angry, fat kid. "We don't want her to go away," So maybe Heidi and Cartman will be able to patch things up next week and maybe see Stan and Wendy as a couple again too.
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
Female345

Postby Female345 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 am

It was a decent ep.
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 am

No changes to Cartman and Heidi's relationship status on each of their wiki pages because Trey Parker said that they don't plan on "officially" breaking them up. So let's wait until next week's episode and see where it goes from there.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 am

Trey said he was a fan of Cartman having a significant other, Heidi Turner, which showed a new side to the usually foul-mouthed, angry, fat kid. "We don't want her to go away," Trey said. "But, I really liked in the end that he was now a dude stuck in a relationship."
Well, Heidi may be more active among the girls in future episodes, but we saw how Cartman handled being stuck in a relationship: he fell for a voice he could control, a voice who would listen to his authoritah (and not just Alexa, but Siri and Google as well), something we know no sane girl like Heidi would do. Cartman can't handle a challenge to his own self-image very well.

Now, we all know Trey was a fan of Cartman having a girlfriend, and it was sweet to see that, but a lot of fans hated Cartman in that position. He became a big pussy, which works for Heidi, but just can't last for long for Cartman, and for his hard-core fans, it was a reminder of just how terrible Season 20 was. With Matt and Trey going back to standalone episodes and no more serialization, it gave Cartman a way out of this relationship, which would have been serialized if it were allowed to continue, which is precisely what Matt and Trey want to get away from. So this relationship had to end, and Trey gave Cartman a way to do it. In short, Trey liked Heidi as Cartman's girlfriend, but he knows Cartman would eventually tire of her and get out while he could. Heidi deserves a lot better anyway.

And there's no way I see any of the girls becoming a female Cartman. Just NO.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 am

It was okay. The Randy storyline was funny, even if I can't get into him anymore and thus the attachment is from arm's length. Cartman/Heidi- glad it is over. Liked the concept, don't like where it went. Alexa stuff was funny.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Milo Vonnegut

Postby Milo Vonnegut » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 am

I guess once Season 20 ended, Cartman slowly began being more comfortable around Heidi enough to reveal cracks of his former self shining through. Heidi wasn't gonna put up with the same gas-lighting and narcissistic tendencies that he would apply to everybody else. She still loves him though.

Or maybe she is abusive, I don't know.

That Kendrick Lamar "Humble" country cover had me dying!

Do the confederates even get paid to take notes and play Kendrick Lamar songs?
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 am

SouthAl93 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 am
Remember what Trey Parker said about how he is a fan of Cartman having a significant other, Heidi Turner, which showed a new side to the usually foul-mouthed, angry, fat kid. "We don't want her to go away," So maybe Heidi and Cartman will be able to patch things up next week and maybe see Stan and Wendy as a couple again too.
Yeah, that's been stuck in the back of my head through all of this.

It'd be nice to see some of the couples get back together but I'm getting more of a sense of Matt and Trey trying to put everything from last season behind them. This episode feels more in line with S19.
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

Well the White People Renovating Houses idea was pretty funny. I admit, HGTV is one of my go-to channels and house flipping is entertaining to watch. I laughed every time Randy spoke of an 'open concept'. :D Sharon didn't seem as into it, I wonder why. She's there to do the decorating but didn't smile about it once. I wonder why she'd be a part of this TV show. If they continue with story lines like they have been I hope we get more of this plot. There's room for some good humor and Marsh shenanigans.

I didn't quite understand what the rednecks were protesting. Alexa was taking their jobs? What jobs? Not like I know much about that Alexa gizmo but was it really doing things the rednecks once were?

I hope the Cartman/Heidi thing is over. I honestly forgot all about her since last season was disappointing. Most of what she said in this episode went in one ear, out the other. I didn't know what she and Cartman were arguing about.

Didn't have many laughs but the foundation for other interesting episodes is there. I hope Stan gets a plot soon as he did nothing last year and spoke once tonight. A girl can hope!
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
mario88

Postby mario88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 am

It's pretty clear to me that this is not a comedy show anymore, at least not in the sense of simply "comic". Some, maybe even the majority of people, won't like this.

I understand that they decided to take a different direction but I hope they understand they are moving on a very thin line, one step from "genius" and another step from "f*cking lame". They will have to work hard to make this "genius".
He is the record!
mario88

Postby mario88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am

On the whole, I would give the episode in itself a 7.5 out of 10. It was solid, but it was also more of an episode which prepared the plot of the season, so it's hard to judge it.

I think they dropped the political thing or at least they decided to tackle it from a different angle, starting from the social aspects.

The redheaded guy in the end proved to be the only redneck with both a brain and an interesting personality, no wonder he's the leader of his group.

I think I wrote somewhere in this forum months ago that heiman wouldn't work. It wasn't hard to predict, actually: Cartman is so self-centered that he just can't be in a relationship, unless he either changes or finds a girl even more patient than poor Heidi.

Incidentally, as I wrote in another thread, I think an adult Cartman would be gay. From what south park has showed over the years, I get the feeling that growing without a dad has massively messed up his head.

I missed south park and I can accept this new not comedic version, I just wish there were more episodes now that they are connected each to the following.

A 40 minutes episode would fit the "new" South Park better imho.
He is the record!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:28 am

Stanluv25 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am
I didn't quite understand what the rednecks were protesting. Alexa was taking their jobs? What jobs? Not like I know much about that Alexa gizmo but was it really doing things the rednecks once were?
You could say they were protesting the disappearance of help center jobs, where people would either call in or visit a store and walk up to a counter to ask for help in finding an item. Now people can just visit a store's Web site and do the same thing without talking to anyone on the phone or walking into a store to look for something, Also, jobs that used to require a human driver, like trucking and shipping. Randy's solution was to give each family its own personal assistant - Jim Bob, Darryl - thus giving those unemployed rednecks new jobs... which many of them found demeaning. Those rednecks wanted jobs that are quickly disappearing and will never come back. There have been a few articles over the past year saying that illegals aren't the ones "taking their jobs" away from Americans, it's automation that's doing it. The counterargument is that automation is taking off because people are demanding a higher minimum wage while companies are looking for ways to save money. Solution? Get rid of those minimum-wage jobs and use that money for cheaper automation.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:01 am

It didn’t sink in til later but I can’t say I didn’t feel kinda bad about Heidi and Cartman. I’ll leave that there.
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 pm

JVM wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 am
It'd be nice to see some of the couples get back together but I'm getting more of a sense of Matt and Trey trying to put everything from last season behind them. This episode feels more in line with S19.
But we still need to see Stan and Wendy back together again.
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm

I thought it was pretty decent. I'd give it a 4/5.
The Alexa stuff was pretty hilarious, as was the very idea of intelligent personal assistant devices being replaced by rednecks and the analogy about needing to break down walls being Darryl's actual wall. Oh and Jim Bob :lol: Sharon seemed f*cking dead inside, she didn't give a crap about what she was doing. I expected Cartman to break up with Heidi because he fell in love with Alexa at first.
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”