*2103: Holiday Special* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*2103: Holiday Special* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 am

Are you ready to find out the story... of you?
kfgg

Re: *2103: Holiday Special* Post-Air Discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:51 am

The Native guy was singing “Then He Kissed Me” by The Crystals.
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 am

nall wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 am
The good news is Heidi Turner didn't show up in this week's episode but probably will appear in the next episode and is still Cartman's girlfriend. The bad news is that Wendy Testaburger didn't show up and we STILL don't know if she and Stan are a couple again. Don't even let Trey and Matt think about keeping Stan and Wendy's current relationship status. I know that I already made two Wendy statements this week instead of one but since the next new episode won't be until two weeks, I just want to make my Wendy statement for next week now so I won't have to make any comment about if Wendy is dating Stan again on the forums. Please also ask Matt and Trey to do a South Park Fan Conspiracy blog post, like the one about Craig Tucker from last year, that talks about Stan and Wendy most recent breakup where they discuss how it's very different from the previous two breakups, evidence during the recent breakup that they will reconcile very soon, and possibly, maybe confirm whether they are dating again together or not and that the breakup was meant to last only through the gender wars from Season 20. If you do this for me I will seriously promise to NEVER bother you about Stan and Wendy's relationship status on the forum EVER again nall. I seriously promise for real this time. Just please suggest the South Park Fan Conspiracy blog post to them and I will be completely silence about Stan and Wendy's current relationship dilemma.
Last edited by SouthAl93 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 am

I was very upset with Randy at first but found his actions in the beginning makes the rest of the show funnier. I think the whole argument over Columbus Day is stupid. Randy acted like the dumb Leftist morons that bring up Russia every time you mention Trump.

It was nice to see the kids upset over the cancelling of Columbus Day. I personally never cared that much as my ancestors only came to America after like 1880. Still, as a child, I remember all kids wanted this day off and no one would talk sh*t to put it into jeopardy. Plus, Italians are cool and so was Columbus.

It was gross that Randy would poop on a statue but I think someone did that to the brave girl on Wall street that stood up to the charging bull or whatever. It hurt to see Randy knock over a statue, too much of that has been happening. I hope this is not going to motivate anyone.

It was shocking for Randy to be so about Columbus in the past. Like he has Columbus everything, even dressed as Columbus at his wedding. It just shows that people are getting crazy over politics and that is driving people to hate what they once loved because it caught on to do so.

I had thought there was something up with the swab testing. That proved correct as Randy faked his test by kissing and making out with a Native American. That plot was pretty good as the Indian fell in love with Randy. He came with flowers, a song, and his mom and dad. The killer part was that he had to do the anal swab. I swear Randy will do anything even have anal sex. It was crazy he would put some dude’s DNA in his assh*le. I bet the Indian would have loved him a lot then. I was getting ready for something wild.

The kids plot was okay. They knew Randy had dressed as Columbus and were trying to tell that Calendar guy, Galtman, about it. Still, this plot seemed weak.

It was very funny when Randy was dressed as Columbus and beat up the Indian guy in front of his house and told him to get off his property. This part was too much, I couldn’t help but laugh a lot. I think more of the Indian would have been better than the kids plot.

Sharon peeing was weird. I know girls do that, pee while using their phones. Still, it felt weird and gross. It was random.

It was nice for Shelly to be in the episode but she didn’t seem to care about anything, just like she accuses everyone else of.

I felt the episode kind of lacked a climax to it. It was kind of difficult to follow but after the swab it seemed Randy would get caught. Still getting caught was of no big deal, so the impact of it seemed small. Also, I don’t know if it was watching on Xfinity on my laptop or what but the audio of the characters didn’t sync up well until the preview clip scene was shown.

Again, the kids plot was kind of lame. It was kind of cool with masks of a horse, pigeon, rabbit, and pig. I wonder if there was some sort of significance there. Still, I think a bigger climax with the DNA results would have been better. It seemed like Randy was the only one who cared, as no one else minded what his DNA was and no one sided with him on getting rid of Columbus Day and all.

Randy breaking into the DNA was cool but he got caught. It was funny that Randy clung to the Neanderthal DNA like he could say his people were raped and he smashed stuff. I found it weird he was so South West Asian. Does that mean he has Persian blood or what? I haven’t done the 23 and Me test maybe that would explain him being so Asian. I like that Randy was so Mediterranean, I was thinking he was.

All the indigenous name calling was cool. Randy didn’t seem to know what the word meant. He was kind of out of it this episode. I don’t know what we should really do about Columbus Day or should we make it Indigenous Peoples Day. The whole thing sounds like too much work. I felt the episode delivered some good emotions of anger at first and then great laughs throughout the rest. I think I will rate this one a 9/10.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 am

SouthAl93 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 am
nall wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 am
The good news is Heidi Turner didn't show up in this week's episode but probably will appear in the next episode and is still Cartman's girlfriend. I'm not sick of Heidi or anything, it's just that she's had a main role in 12 episodes in a row and just because she's Cartman's girlfriend now doesn't mean she has to be in every single future episode. The bad news is that Wendy Testaburger didn't show up and we STILL don't know if she and Stan are a couple again. Don't even let Trey and Matt think about keeping Stan and Wendy's current relationship status. I know that I already made two Wendy statements this week instead of one but since the next new episode won't be until two weeks, I just want to make my Wendy statement for next week now so I won't have to make any comment about if Wendy is dating Stan again on the forums. Please also ask Matt and Trey to do a South Park Fan Conspiracy blog post, like the one about Craig Tucker from last year, that talks about Stan and Wendy most recent breakup where they discuss how it's very different from the previous two breakups, evidence during the recent breakup that they will reconcile very soon, and possibly, maybe confirm whether they are dating again together or not and that the breakup was meant to last only through the gender wars from Season 20. If you do this for me I will seriously promise to NEVER bother you about Stan and Wendy EVER again nall. I seriously promise for real this time. Just please suggest the South Park Fan Conspiracy blog post to them and I will be completely silence about Stan and Wendy.

This was meant to be an edit but I accidently ended up making a duplicate post with the edited changes.
Last edited by SouthAl93 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 am

Randy confuses indigenous for indignant, :lol:
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 am

I'm at a crossroads between believing Matt & Trey are lampooning political correctness for the purpose of being funny, or taking a jab at the people who want to change or eliminate Columbus Day. It seems more like they wanted to rip on anyone who's offended by the fact that there's a holiday in honor of Christopher Columbus. But let's be honest. Columbus was an unforgivable prick and shouldn't be glorified the way he is. I find it even more laughable that people would get angry about changing the name of a day on the calendar just because it's "tradition." Those who don't adapt to change are destined to expire sooner.

But I digress. It wasn't horrible, but not memorable. I'm surprised they didn't make Kyle wear the pig mask.
Alex Shir

Postby Alex Shir » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:16 am

Good job ))) A little better than "Renovating houses", worse than "Put it down", as for me (but it really was 9\10). Deconstruction of national history, ideological war and crush of monuments, actualisation of Columbus Day, genetics, gay- and multicurtural relations - and brilliant Mad Randy at the centre. Important social role of SP - to abate pathetical heat of actual agenda. Dont's be so serious, dudes, it's wouls be dangerous.
Sorry for my bad English, guys. It's not my native language.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 am

Best episode of the bunch so far heh “I won’t watch anything on the Internet it’s fake news,that’s why we transfered it to VHS. :lol:. A day off school is important to kids. Kennys voice sounded quite sinister on the phone that hanky really did disguise his voice.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 am

I liked last week's more, but this was funny enough.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:37 am

Well that was...interesting. I know I shouldn't be surprised by seeing anything on SP by now but still... didn't expect to see Randy making out with a Native American and Sharon taking a crap on the toilet.

I think this was pretty okay overall. I'm still a little confused about all the back and forth about Columbus day and what Randy was actually trying to achieve. He wanted to have Native American in him so he could have a reason to feel oppressed? Only to find out the Marsh side of the family is pretty much the average British person, lol. It was funny how into Columbus Randy seemed to be in the past- even dressing up like him on St. Patrick's Day and his wedding! :lol: But are people really like that? For me, like a lot of people growing up, it was indeed just another day to have off school, it's not as if we learned much about why. Hey kids, let's make some paper hats like Columbus wore when he discovered America! was the extend of it.

At least Stan did something this episode, although of course this episode was more about his dad. Typical. So I won't stop bitching about wanting an actual Stan episode, lol.

So far this season has shown more promise than the past couple. Holding out hope it continues.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 am

I liked the concept for "Holiday Special", but it felt a bit too overstuffed with ideas.

We have a really effective setup. The kids freaking about losing their holiday is really natural and it's a very kids being kinds kind of plot, and it ends up allowing Kenny an oppurtunity to shine and play a role again. (It was kind of nice to see the classic four boys again, without any tagalongs.) We get some nice moments of Stan and Kyle slightly bonding, but ultimately most of it funnels back into the boys trying to stop Randy, who it turns out is behind this. Stan doesn't recieve much bullying for his father's actions (or his involvement in them) which means things are nice for him but also means he doesn't play much further of a role.

There's a lot of background involved - we're taught Randy has had some kind of completely unmentioned lifelong obsession with Christopher Colombus, and is suddenly backpedaling hard (despite no reference or indication of any pressure against him that he'd noticed) and went to the school calendar committee, represented by the new Galtman character, to have the holiday removed... and who the boys end up calling. Galtman doesn't even seem to come with a joke, so I think PC Principal or Mr. Mackey would've been fine here for the same purpose as him. Hell, even Mr. Adler could've worked.

Randy's thing with DNAandMe seems intended to justify his cause, but of course, he ends up faking it all by making out with a nice Native American man, who falls in love with him. This is a subplot I feel internally divided on - 'straight dude does a gay thing' jokes are really not usually my thing, but the man's dedication to winning Randy over is so weirdly sweet and honest it almost makes it kind of funny. The resolution to everything is a solid joke, but perhaps Randy's lowest hour as the town's official resident scientist and lately, unofficial town leader, clearly has no idea what he's talking about but at least willingly takes the abuse.

Absent from the final episode is the boys' "exploiting" people's misery for laughs. I assume the "love story" was an intentional misdirection. The scene at Kenny's House has also been moved to the bathroom at school. I'm tempted to suggest the episode changed a lot over the six days of production all the same.

I probably sound like I'm just summarizing, but I'm sort of lacking in things to say of substance on this one. It doesn't do anything out of turn but it isn't breaking any new ground.

For those of you complaining overzealously about continuity, the show seems to have mostly ended that practice here. There is no open reference to any previous episode of the show here, and no signs of Heidi, President Garrison or anything of that sort. This episode could have aired five years ago and while the subject matter wouldn't be as relevant, continuity would have been unharmed. I do think Randy's conversion to being 'PC' in the nineteenth season enhances it a little though.

Trivia:
- Again here he's "Mr. Randy Marsh" but it's been twice referenced that Randy has a doctorate in geology, or at least refers to himself as a doctor.
- Kyle mentions twice dealing with his mom starting these issues, but Sheila hasn't headed any onscreen protests since the movie, even when she has shown her edge. In "Major Boobage", it's Gerald who is actually the one becoming a face of protest. Ir's still a nice nod that the aspect of her character is still supposed to be there.
- It's subtle but the Marsh Residence no longer has a full wall between the kitchen and the living room. You can see it best when Randy talks to Sharon (the sink's also moved...) but you can see it a lot in the background when Randy's at the door, if further away. A remnant of their television career, which seems over?
- He has no lines, but Dr. Peter Nelson makes three separate appearances in the episode, including...
- The attendees at Randy's party include Roger Donovan, Dr. Nelson, the Tuckers, the Testaburgers and I think, the Stotches. Surprising absences include Jimbo and I'm not sure we saw the Broflovskis or McCormicks in that instance.
- Kenny uses his 'Mysterion' voice for a moment while masked, heh.
- Guess DNAandMe is cheaper than Dr. Mephesto and his $3000 price tag :P
Neils0827 wrote:I'm at a crossroads between believing Matt & Trey are lampooning political correctness for the purpose of being funny, or taking a jab at the people who want to change or eliminate Columbus Day. It seems more like they wanted to rip on anyone who's offended by the fact that there's a holiday in honor of Christopher Columbus. But let's be honest. Columbus was an unforgivable prick and shouldn't be glorified the way he is. I find it even more laughable that people would get angry about changing the name of a day on the calendar just because it's "tradition." Those who don't adapt to change are destined to expire sooner.

But I digress. It wasn't horrible, but not memorable. I'm surprised they didn't make Kyle wear the pig mask.
Matt and Trey like to have it both ways, and their aim seems to me squarely on politically correct extremists. I think the important note in this episode is never does one character defend Christopher Colombus as a person - the boys want to keep their day off school, and even Cartman admits Colombus was a genocidal tyrant. I don't believe his rediscovery of North America is even mentioned in the episode. It feels to me those who would actively defend keeping the holiday would want to defend the person that the day honors. I mean, in my entire schooling here in Chicago, I was probably taught ten different times what a douche Colombus was, starting from around fourth or fifth grade... and every time, annoyingly, as if it was the very first time.

Matt and Trey do seem to acknowledge real oppression exists, and when they defend those positions, use their actual minority characters, like Token, or Big Gay Al, whereas episodes like this (and almost the entirety of S19) that focus on attacking political correctness usually tend to focus on privileged white people like Randy or Cartman as the mouthpieces, usually sidelining the actual victims of oppression. The sorts of people who want to join a cause and make themselves feel good, but don't really care about the end goal.

So, when Matt and Trey play Randy as gung-ho against Colombus Day over racism, and we see him not giving a damn what the actual Native American man thinks, and being dressed as Colombus and telling him to get "off his land", we're laughing at how hypocritical and insensitive Randy is being, and they're trying to illustrate that Randy's dedication to getting rid of the holiday isn't really rooted in any kind of sincere commitment to values. He's an insecure white guy trying to make himself feel better.

Similarly, I believe the main reason PC Principal was shifted to becoming something of a heroic character during S19 (around "The City Part of Town" on) was because M&T increasingly saw him as a True Believer trying to work towards the greater good, and less as a hypocrite and a caricature. Once he was a hypocrite, he became less useful for satire, thus why they used Randy in the role this week instead of him. (But I still think he could've replaced Galtman.)
OFFICIAL WIKI MODERATOR :D
My Fanfics | My Fanart | My Wiki Talk Page | My Inbox
Favorite Characters: Kenny and family, Stan, Wendy, Kevin Stoley, Mephestos, Tweek, Pip (RIP)
Favorite Episode: "The List" (s11e14)
Sgt. Sarge

Postby Sgt. Sarge » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Now this was a fun episode.

I feel this is more reminiscent to the seasons 14 to 16, were there is a lot of good material to keep you laughing though out the show but just a bit underwhelming towards the end. I kept thinking how Randy and the Native were going to be used during the preview pics, turns out it was so simple that I feel stupid not seeing how 'Randy' it was.

So I guess that means we wait two weeks for the next episode right? I'm hoping they do an 'It' parody for Halloween.

A few little things I noticed during my second watch.
Principle Victoria was in the school meeting, (thought she was gone but I guess there is no need to make her disappear for good).
Nelly screaming with a broom in hand gave me a smile.
Mysterions voice was a nice touch.
Yosh! Life is good cause I want it that way.
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Why is it called Holiday Special? I get now that it's supposed to be Columbus Day, but it's still such a vague title.
Kenny used his Mysterion voice
The entire thing with the Gay Native American being in love with Randy was great.
Randy's house is renovated. Just like he did with the other houses on White People Renovating Houses.

Didn't have a lot to say about this one, even though it was better than the previous two.
Last edited by Det. Sandy Vagina on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 pm

According to the wiki, the gay Native American guy’s name is Bill Yellow Hawk, just in case anybody was wondering about that.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”