*2105: Hummels & Heroin* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

mario88

Re: *2105: Hummels & Heroin* Post-Air Discussion

Postby mario88 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Sgt. Sarge wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 pm
I want to say this now as I have speculated this on 4chan for many months now.

Next weeks episode will be an IT parody, and with Dinky Duke's death in this episode there is enough hear for me to call it without looking like a fool.
"IT"? you mean the 1990 movie?
He is the record!
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:32 am

It was nice to see Stan get a major role again, as well as Grandpa Marsh.
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 am

mario88 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm
Sgt. Sarge wrote:

Next weeks episode will be an IT parody, and with Dinky Duke's death in this episode there is enough hear for me to call it without looking like a fool.
I think he means the recent one, with Pennywise the Clown luring kids into the sewer.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Sgt. Sarge

Postby Sgt. Sarge » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am

Big-Will wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 am
I think he means the recent one, with Pennywise the Clown luring kids into the sewer.
Indeed, this is who I meant by Dinky Duke by the way.
https://imgur.com/a/OXpmA
Yosh! Life is good cause I want it that way.
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:56 pm

I don't understand the purpose of that Marcus kid, although the way he talked was kind of amusing.
Could have done without that old lady farting. Cut that and I'd say the episode is a pretty strong 4/5
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!
mario88

Postby mario88 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Big-Will wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 am
mario88 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:20 pm
Sgt. Sarge wrote:

Oh, I didn't even know there was a new version. Not that I care, I didn't like it back then either.

I wonder how well known this new version is. One of the most important rules of comedy is that a parody must be about something the viewers know, or they won't laugh.
He is the record!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 am

Stand out episode of the season so far.
Kyle, Fatass, Butters and Kenny doing barbershop quartet versions of songs from my formative years is just about the greatest thing I've ever heard. I really hope there's some longer versions sitting on a server over there at South Park Studios that will see the light of day, because that was amazing.
It also reminds me that it's 2017 and those songs would be considered 'oldies' by 9 and 10 year old kids. It's funny for three big reasons.
1. Those are songs that are more or less as old as South Park.
2. It makes me feel old.
3. Children's concept of time is skewed heavily toward recent stuff. The difference to them between something that's 20 years old and something that's 80 years old is not as profound as it is to us adults.

An original rap song about life on the inside (of an old folks home)? Yes please. I had to stifle my laughter so wouldn't miss any lyrics.

This Marcus character; kind of an obnoxious Encyclopedia Brown wannabe. Even though he's a good guy, I sort of wanted someone to punch him in the face.

This episode could have been loaded with news beats and rabbling townsfolk, but instead they focused on the story from the boys' point of view and that's what really makes it work. It also keeps it light despite the potentially dark subject matter. The OD victims are all guys in silly costumes. The currency is absurd. The characters we care about are just trying to find a way out of the mess they find themselves in. Even Fatass turns out to be helpful and is not just working some selfish angle.

Finally, Mrs. McGillicuddy's ass for the win. :shock: :lol:

You read it! You can't unread it!
JVM

Postby JVM » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:43 am

It's been a rough week over here, and my usual routine was sidelined. The good news? That was a pretty fantastic episode, and probably rivals with "Put it Down" for my favorite of the season so far.

The show's structure of using current events as a place to reach deeper character stories has been kind of a mixed success lately, but in this case, it worked very effectively. The opioid crisis and drug addiction are a part of the story, and a clear perspective is offered, but it's all woven through the fabric of what's going on in front of us - instead of falling back on illustrating the conspiracy literally, we see it through the eyes of the characters. When Stan is telling Marcus that this is about something bigger than the two of them, this isn't foreshadowing for a bigger villain, but merely a culmination of the character's stories as they realize they are fighting forces larger than they realize.

Like in "Cash for Gold", Grampa Marvin is slightly recast as more of a nicer old man for much of the episode, far less grouchy than his earlier appearances. I've always assumed the last caller in "Cash for Gold", also an older man voiced by Trey, was Marvin, displaying his older sadistic side again, and whether it is or isn't him, it ties in here, where his final move in the episode is to stand up for himself again, literally and figuratively. He makes overall for a really interesting character that way, and developing his relationship with Stan adds a little more depth to both characters, and gives the latter more to do beyond worrying about his dad or his girlfriend. (Wendy deserves an episode soon all the same, but y'know, she and Stan are more than each other's s/o.)

There's plenty of nice little character moments too. This is one of the first episodes in a long while where I feel like we had a really strong sense of just the four boys doing their thing - yes, Butters is around, but he still feels firmly outside their little circle in both of his scenes, and Stan making Butters do it was a nice callback to when all of the boys teased him, without seeing him overly harsh either. Randy's usage, like last week, is measured and he doesn't overstay his welcome at all. (Although I notice Sharon's been really quiet this season?) I really appreciated Cartman's bit as well, denying he could distract the old people before coming up with a plan.

So, overall, we get a delightfully bizarre episode that as many others have said, feels like the real return to form the show has been needing lately, and something that can play in two years and probably still be funny.

Grampa Marsh's Status and Retirement Living
During dinner with the family, Stan acknowledges that Grampa used to live with the family, and then says, "I feel like we just threw him away and forgot about him"; given Grampa had a five-year absence from the show, I wonder if that's a bit meta.

While it's mostly well-known that Grampa appeared at family dinner scenes for the first twelve seasons of the show, and still does on occasion, he definitely lived with the family, and we did briefly see his bedroom in "Quintuplets 2000". (I tend to believe that Randy's current study, introduced around Season 10ish, replaced this room.) By the end of this run though, he was recieving virtually no lines, and I believe he only has two speaking appearances after Season 7. (A cough in "Trapped in the Closet" and a few in "Fantastic Easter Special") There's a few other references, such as his spare wheelchair in "Bloody Mary" and Randy videotaping him bathing off-screen in "Pandemic".

He seemed to have moved out by S13A, as we see the Marshes dining without him in "Eat, Pray, Queef" - but he's not dead, because he shows up in "Pinewood Derby" for a quick cameo. Even further, by "You're Getting Old", the Marsh family moves out - and later back in - to their typical home without him.

He made his big comeback in season 16's "Cash for Gold", now at Looming Sunset Assisted Living and clearly not living with the family, and he has a new design with a purple cloth over his legs and a fancier wheelchair, although he's reverted since then in and out with his old design without it (the telltale it's the old design and not just the cloth being removed is the older wheelchair) The episode also features Stan giving him a photograph of Grampa with his old dog, Patches, a photograph showing a slightly younger Grampa (he is 104) in the Marsh family living room, reinforcing that he used to live there. He's had a few other roles since then, and attended some family dinners since, most memorably in a bit of an extended gag in "PC Principal Final Justice". He also cameoed in "The End of Serialization As We Know It".

Looming Sunset has been discarded though, and now he's now at Shady Acres, the show's more notable retirement facility previously seen in season 6's "The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer" and season 7's "Grey Dawn" - which has been given a fresh face-lift, probably to tie into the new video game. He has a totally different but much nicer room, including the photograph of Patches, one of the rest of the family (including Sparky) and one of him with a woman and a baby? Possibly Randy, or even Jimbo. It's a bit of canon welding but it all works.

Trivia/Notes:
- Butters, Dougie, Kevin Stoley, Wendy, Dogpoo, Jenny S., the Kellys and some other background fourth graders are present at Marcus' birthday party. Rare appearance by Dougie outside of a costume.
- Chuck E. Cheese, Swiper (Dora the Explorer) and Peppa Pig are among the more prominent childrens' entertainers killed. The first one is obvious but comes off better/worse because he's usually replaced by Whistlin' Willie here. Looks like more of Betty rubbing off on Trey mostly though. :P
- I mentioned before, Shelly makes her first ever appearance inside South Park Elementary during Marcus' presentation, in what just seems to be a school scene. Kevin McCormick disappeared from the preview, though? We also see Mitchell the Janitor from "Cock Magic" and some other recurring teachers in back.
- The Girl who calls up Preston is the second Annie from "Butters' Bottom Bitch".
mario88 wrote:I wonder how well known this new version is. One of the most important rules of comedy is that a parody must be about something the viewers know, or they won't laugh.
It seems very well-known to me. I've heard a lot more about it than I heard about the World War Z adaption that formed the basis for "World War Zimmerman"... plus a parody would probably be close enough to the original that I think people would get the joke. There's a sequel on the way next year anyhow.
Shane McCormick

Postby Shane McCormick » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 am

Best episode of the season so far. Funny plot, satisfying ending, and it is really nice to see Stan get some spotlight after what feels like forever. The old lady farts went on too long, but that’s my only major complaint. I’d say it is a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10. Let’s have some more like this.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 am

Sun's out? Buns out.

:lol: :lol:

You read it! You can't unread it!
michaeloptv1

Postby michaeloptv1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 am

2 weeks in a row of just....wtf. :shock:

This episode was just kinda dumb. Chuckled a few times but it just felt lame overall.
They have to come up with a better plan.

Heroin isn't funny to me anyways. I lost a cousin to it. I mean the whole Thug life Senior life was kinda funny but idk I just felt very bleh.
kc6201

Postby kc6201 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 am
Does anyone want to take a try at guessing where the inspiration for Marcus Preston comes from? I mean he has to be a parody of someone.

I think he is a combination of Matlock, Winston Churchill, and Joe Pesci.
I was wondering this too. I was thinking Joe Berlinger from "Gone: The Forgotten Women of Ohio". He looks like him, but doesn't speak the same way at all. The subject matter somewhat matches though.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”