*2109: SUPER HARD PCness* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

nall
Site Admin

*2109: SUPER HARD PCness* Post-Air Discussion

Postby nall » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 am

Woah, bro.
kfgg

Re: *2109: SUPER HARD PCness* Post-Air Discussion

Postby kfgg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:32 am

I didn’t mind hearing a cut off of Cracked Rear View (A favorite in 2nd Grade) but the rest was kinda rushed and disappointing.

Obviously next week will involve continuation.

Another thing, someone either at SPS, the satellite service that sends it to Comedy Central or Comedy Central needs to work on quality control. This time it was scratchy audio, either a bad connection or slight clipping somewhere. I’m leaning heavily toward those in NYC which have been having some serious quality control issues as of late.

Sorry if I sound so picky and complainy here but they’re just observations. I’m really hardcore when it comes to quality control.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 am

I felt bad that Terrance and Philip are old. Still it was funny, like seeing the three stooges in later years. I hope T & P can still be on the show and that they are not killed off too soon.

I liked seeing Cartman and Heidi fighting with each other. It did make them out to be white trash like Kenny’s parents but showed them to be strong and good fighters. It sure made me feel intimidated by them unlike past episodes. So that sure added to Kyle having more reason now to fear fighting Cartman and Heidi physically when they make fun of him.

I hated that Heidi still has zits. I’d like to see her find a way to not have them. Maybe Cartman has a secret.

The Strong Women character is fun. I get the joke with her name as I find myself like many calling for women to be strong. tI was a steamy episode with PCP and Mackey falling in love with a woman just like themselves. I think it gave be a chubby.

I didn’t like that Kyle hates Terrance and Philip now, but it didn’t do much harm. It did get Canada nuked but who really cares? Kyle is such a Jewish Mother is right. I don’t see why to get so upset about the TV show. Kyle must be at the bottom of the barrel trying to find a way to defeat Cartman and Heidi.

The Hootie and the Blowfish song was okay. I wish my guesses had been right, but this episode introduced some cool new characters and progressed the comedy of Heidi. I don’t mind Strong Women, but I don’t see where she will be that funny in the future rate now. People do tell women to be strong with cancer and when something bad happens to them. So, I would think that either strong Women would have bad things happen to her personally or that she would comment on bad things and say she can handle them herself. The reoccurring joke there is fun, but I don’t think it would last that long. I guess implicitly it would work to just have Strong Women save herself all the time when PCP went to do it himself. It’s a nice gag, I could use some of it.

It was nice to see Mackey meet that Miss Conduct women. I really found it sweet and cute. It kind of turned me on.

I didn’t really get the millennials joke. How would Kyle be one? I know that most fans of South Park would be millennials and be in their thirties rate now, but I didn’t see why Kyle is one. It made me think of the new Chancellor of Austria for one. M.A.C. or Millennials against Canada was weird. It felt like a rushed ending to me.

I don’t know why Canada got nuked, so strange. Would Garrison really be that crazy?

Overall the episode was okay but kind of fell through at the end with Canada getting nuked. Still it had the nice dating sh*t of PCP and Mackey. I feel the show is really getting too date involved. I don’t even like to be with others at all or date. It’s strange to love a show that’s all about dating when you never do. I’ll give the episode a 8/10.
Last edited by JamesPolo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:01 am

This week's episode didn't gave us an official conclusion of last season's gender wars with the girls getting back with the boys so that must be included in next week's episode because all the kids need to get used to Cartman dating Heidi and reconcile with their damn lovers already. I really hope I don't get disappointed next week.
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
Randy Marsh 2016

Postby Randy Marsh 2016 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:28 am

JamesPolo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:59 am

I don’t know why Canada got nuked, so strange. Would Garrison really be that crazy?

Overall the episode was okay but kind of fell through at the end with Canada getting nuked.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure Garrison is that crazy (remember what he promised he'd do to the immigrants).

I think Canada being nuked was perfect for the end. It shows how all hell is breaking loose (again), and we'll see what Canada's response to it will be next week, since the strike was just the first response that starts the war.
MorrisThorpe

Postby MorrisThorpe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 am

JamesPolo wrote:
I felt bad that Terrance and Philip are old. Still it was funny, like seeing the three stooges in later years. I hope T & P can still be on the show and that they are not killed off too soon.

I liked seeing Cartman and Heidi fighting with each other. It did make them out to be white trash like Kenny’s parents but showed them to be strong and good fighters. It sure made me feel intimidated by them unlike past episodes. So that sure added to Kyle having more reason now to fear fighting Cartman and Heidi physically when they make fun of him.

I hated that Heidi still has zits. I’d like to see her find a way to not have them. Maybe Cartman has a secret.

The Strong Women character is fun. I get the joke with her name as I find myself like many calling for women to be strong. tI was a steamy episode with PCP and Mackey falling in love with a woman just like themselves. I think it gave be a chubby.

I didn’t like that Kyle hates Terrance and Philip now, but it didn’t do much harm. It did get Canada nuked but who really cares? Kyle is such a Jewish Mother is right. I don’t see why to get so upset about the TV show. Kyle must be at the bottom of the barrel trying to find a way to defeat Cartman and Heidi.

The Hootie and the Blowfish song was okay. I wish my guesses had been right, but this episode introduced some cool new characters and progressed the comedy of Heidi. I don’t mind Strong Women, but I don’t see where she will be that funny in the future rate now. People do tell women to be strong with cancer and when something bad happens to them. So, I would think that either strong Women would have bad things happen to her personally or that she would comment on bad things and say she can handle them herself. The reoccurring joke there is fun, but I don’t think it would last that long. I guess implicitly it would work to just have Strong Women save herself all the time when PCP went to do it himself. It’s a nice gag, I could use some of it.

It was nice to see Mackey meet that Miss Conduct women. I really found it sweet and cute. It kind of turned me on.

I didn’t really get the millennials joke. How would Kyle be one? I know that most fans of South Park would be millennials and be in their thirties rate now, but I didn’t see why Kyle is one. It made me think of the new Chancellor of Austria for one. M.A.C. or Millennials against Canada was weird. It felt like a rushed ending to me.

Overall the episode was okay but kind of fell through at the end with Canada getting nuked. Still it had the nice dating sh*t of PCP and Mackey. I feel the show is really getting too date involved. I don’t even like to be with others at all or date. It’s strange to love a show that’s all about dating when you never do. I’ll give the episode a 8/10.

The MAC thing, at least I think, is a reference to "Mothers Against Canada", an anti-Canada group started by Kyle's mother in the South Park movie. Him waging war on Canada, based on hating Terrance and Phillip, is all in line with the whole "you're turning into your mom" thing in the episode.
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:59 am

What will next week's episode bring us?
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:28 am

Even though some previous episodes of Season 21 had cliffhanger-like endings, I can't tell if this week's episode's ending is an actual cliffhanger or not.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:35 am

JamesPolo wrote:
He's a complete pervert, and he f*cked the Canadian President to death two years ago. And his campaign promise was that he would f*ck everyone to death. :mrgreen: Tonight, he finished the job regarding the Canadians.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 am

Ya'll forgetting the entire point of "Put it Down" was Garrison making obsessive, counter-productive threats of nuclear retaliation.

---

Obviously we'll be waiting on a continuation. I had a feeling before the episode was announced that we would be seeing a two-parter, but the PCP plot kind of threw me.

Smaller, Shorter and Edited:
There are a lot of parallels to the film here, which is a little surprising, as the film has been seldom referenced on the show in the last decade and a half - although I have a lot of soft spots for the callbacks to it, all the same.

It's so funny to me, as I was just thinking recently how Terrance and Phillip haven't played a significant role in an episode in almost eight years (season 13's "Eat, Pray, Queef") having mostly taken a backseat to other Canadian characters of the week and somewhat returning to their role as the boys' television idols... but they have moved from the Canada Channel to Netflix, which is even strange considering scenes are set up as if their show is being broadcast live, which is a rarity in even broadcast television for non-"reality" programming, much less f*cking Netflix.

Seeing them as old men is interesting. I'd joke that Canadians age differently, as we've seen they go through a different puberty entirely. Still, it's definitely a jarring shift and it's hard to imagine the characters going back.

The parallels are cemented a lot when Kyle is on television, debating with a Canadian Minister who has a different title but looks nearly identical to the Canadian Minister as the 'Canadian Minister of Movies' in the film, and the lines go in parallel to his conversation there with Sheila, even going into the same "Can I finish?? okay, I'm finished" joke that I loved very dearly. The similarities between Kyle and his mother have come up in multiple previous episodes this season, even back in "Holiday Special" and finally come to a head, but it's all a little more bizarre when one remembers Sheila has all but reformed since the movie, and even last season remained fairly calm about everything until near the end of the season.

President Garrison's issues with Canadians mirror but don't directly reference his exit as teacher in season 19's "Where My Country Gone?" right down to use his use of 'canuck' as a slur being a breaking point... the show has done a surprisingly effective job with Garrison in office so far, and Tweek's line worrying about him is especially interesting here. This allows "Put it Down" to come to a surprising and unexpected head as Garrison takes out the 'nuclear' football (not rendered completely accurately) and seems to bomb Toronto, although it does not appear to be a nuclear weapon. The American-Canadian War has resumed, although interestingly, in terms of warfare, the situation seems escalated more than the previous war, but without any recurring characters in the direct crossfire (no draft) it feels like a less serious situation.

But honestly? What's really funny is seeing MAC shirts again. :P

I highly highly doubt this will happen, but maybe Matt and Trey can throw the creative side of the community a bone and bring back Gregory or the Mole, who remain highly popular in the fan community.

Elementary School Faculty:
Vice Principal Strong Woman and Miss Conduct are both new, and obviously attention is drawn to them for that fact.

We see a lot of school staff members in the conference room and, save maybe one, they are all previously seen/used characters in the series. This list might be incomplete, I'm going from memory, but I did recognize almost all of them:
  • PC Principal
  • Counselor Mackey
  • Mr. Richard Adler (debuted in season 3's "Tweek Vs. Craig")
  • Vice Principal Strong Woman
  • Miss Conduct
  • Ms. Nelson (debuted in season 19's "The City Part of Town")
  • Mr. Meryl (debuted in season 8's "Quest for Ratings")
  • Mr. Thompson (debuted in season 12's "Eek, a Penis!")
  • Nurse / Ms. Bronski (debuted in season 15's "Ass Burgers")
  • Coach Miles (debuted in season 17's "Taming Strange")
  • Volleyball Coach (debuted in season 18's "Cock Magic")
  • Preschool Teacher (debuted in Season 20's "Member Berries")
  • Unamed Substitute Teacher (debuted sometime before season 11's "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson")
I think the most surprising is we now see the Volleyball Coach from "Cock Magic", back to the camera, next to the only figure that puzzled me. This is not the entire school staff -- in the gym at the end, you can also spot a librarian, Mr. Venezuela, and a lunch lady. No sign of Ms. Pearl Choise, who seems to have been retired from the show but continued making background appearances for several years after her debut and Toddy Walters left the show. (What a shame. Toddy voiced some cool characters.)

Who has had a sexual relationship with a colleague in the past? Mr. Adler was dating Ms. Pearl Choise in season 3's "Tweek Vs. Craig", which might not even have been their first date, and Mr. Mackey more famously had sex with Ms. Choksondik. Neither of these events is referenced, no hands up.

Interestingly, the point is never made about PCP and VPSW's relationship that he, as principal, is her superior, which is a huge reason why these workplace harassment scandals are made into a big deal right now - because many of the negative incidents involving superiors harassing their employees.

Continuity
I think the show is finally beginning to find it's sweet spot on this. We've already discussed the many parallels with the film, but there's more...

References to episodes from within the season:
- Tweek's fear of the President's overreactions in "Put it Down" is relevant.
- Netflix eagerly greenlighting anything comes back from "Franchise Prequel".
- Kyle mentions his previous fling with Heidi in "Doubling Down".
- Heidi's appearance and behavior continue from "Moss Piglets".
- It's not too obvious, but Kyle seems to slightly reference the Gender War when talking to the Principal.

You don't need to have seen the first two episodes to understand what's going on here, but they still inform the ongoing events and aren't discarded or forgotten. This is the perfect route, as it satisfies a desire for a little more continuity without bogging the show down with 'member berries' or a fully serialized storyline. I only wish these kinds of nods would start being made more to pre-s19 episodes.

Notes/Trivia:
- Tweek speaks a line from off-screen, according to my subs.
- Clyde is not invited to the kids' Terrance and Phillip viewing party, the only major recurring male kid absent.
- Terrance Mephesto and Damien are seen at the assembly. The latter seems to be becoming steadily more common.
- Kyle and Sheila have started wars, while Gerald has averted one. Fancy that.
OFFICIAL WIKI MODERATOR :D
My Fanfics | My Fanart | My Wiki Talk Page | My Inbox
Favorite Characters: Kenny and family, Stan, Wendy, Kevin Stoley, Mephestos, Tweek, Pip (RIP)
Favorite Episode: "The List" (s11e14)
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 am

JVM wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 am
Kyle and Sheila have started wars, while Gerald has averted one. Fancy that.
Didn't Kyle's dad started that gender war at school from last season which needs to end in the season finale next week?
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:59 am

JVM wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 am
Ya'll forgetting the entire point of "Put it Down" was Garrison making obsessive, counter-productive threats of nuclear retaliation.

Tweek's fear of the President's overreactions in "Put it Down" is relevant.
#TweekWasRight
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 am

SouthAl93 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 am
Didn't Kyle's dad started that gender war at school from last season which needs to end in the season finale next week?
He trolled the moms, but they never found out whom the troll was.
The girls got pissed and started the war with the boys, but they never found out whom the troll was either.
In short, no one ever found out it was him except his family, the other trolls, Troll Trace, and the losing candidate and her team, and I doubt Kyle or Ike told anyone. Sheila talked to Linda and used her laptop to find Gerald's troll history, but all of it vanished when the Internet was reset, so she lost all proof that Gerald was the troll, so she couldn't tell anyone.

In any case, no atomic or nuclear bombs were thrown during the gender war, as were thrown against Canada twice already (the movie and this episode).

The song that came to mind when Kyle trimmed his hair was Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror," in which he's asking the Man In The Mirror to change his ways. This is precisely what Kyle did - change his ways - even if he became his mom by doing so.

Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
2coolhipdude

Postby 2coolhipdude » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 am

Hey Will? How are you going to police people unnecessarily quoting entire posts when you have site admins doing it?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 am

I'll think of something. ;)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”