Kyle is the Worst

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

Shane McCormick

Kyle is the Worst

Postby Shane McCormick » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:44 am

I’ll be honest and say that pretty early on in my time watching South Park that Kyle was my least favorite character. I was never ever able to go into proper detail as to why when I started watching South Park in middle school; which was roughly ten years ago, but now that I am older and having watched the show for as long as I have, I feel I have enough to go by in this rant. I know a lot of people like this character, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on this character, and all I feel is wrong with him.

To start off, Kyle’s role among the four boys is often said to be the voice of reason among them. He is very academically smart, but has been shown to have a short temper with things he disagrees with, like his constant arguments with Cartman. The problems start with Kyle never really developing much past this initial description, despite the 20 season run of South Park. Looking at the other boys they have all had a major breakout points for their characters. Cartman has Scott Tenorman Must Die, Stan has the You’re Getting Old two parter, and Kenny has the entire Mysterion saga for him. All of these episodes develop the characters further, and shows actual change and complexity within them, but Kyle has never had anything like this in the entire 20 season run. He doesn’t really develop much past his initial character, and therefore, becomes stagnant.

The number one thing the writers seems to love to do with this character is making him a foil for Cartman. Kyle and Cartman have the most screen time amongst the boys, so this is a rivalry that has been a huge part of the show. The problem comes with how done to death this concept has become over the years. There are more Kyle vs Cartman episodes then I can count, and there is only so much of the constant “jew” and “fat ass” banter I can take till I just don’t want to hear it anymore. The big difference between the two is that there is a lot that can be done with Cartman as there is just more to him than Kyle. He is shown to be able to play off a lot of the other major characters throughout the show; with Butters and Kenny being the two biggest examples. Kyle for the most part has been subjected to being the rival/punching bag of Cartman for what feels like forever and it really does make his character suffer. A major character like Kyle should not be as one-note and predictable as he is in a show as big as this. The only other major character that Kyle has major interactions with is Stan, and that brings us to the next point!

Stan and Kyle; the representations of Trey and Matt respectively, are supposed to have a strong friendship element to them, they play, laugh, and often get in trouble together and are often labeled as “Super Best Friends”. I certainly would buy this from Stan, as there are multiple episodes; the most notable being Cherokee Hair Tampons, where Stan goes out of his way to get Kyle a much needed kidney transplant that would save his life. This truly sells how much of a friend Stan is and how far he would go for Kyle. Yet, when we look at Kyle, he has never really gone to those same lengths despite the numerous amount of attempts he has had. In episodes like Raisins and You’re Getting Old when Stan is feeling depressed, Kyle gives up on him after very little effort. Kyle’s worst treatment of Stan is probably in the episode Douche and Turd where he pretty much causes the most misery for Stan in the episode by nearly getting him killed in the end, and literally spits in his face when Stan is being exiled from South Park for not wanting to vote. This is not just being a bad friend, but the act of a shallow scumbag in general, and from what I can tell, Kyle is not meant to be a sh*tty friend like Cartman is, so it comes off as a negative part of the character as a whole.

So we have covered the main problems with Kyle’s interactions with the other characters, now it’s time to go back to his overall character traits. Kyles short temper and preachiness comes off as annoying, and makes him feel like the stick in the mud of the group. I understand he is not meant to be the funniest character in the show, but you can make up for that by giving him a more likeable personality. Maybe he could show a softer side like he does in The Jeffersons; which is the most likeable he has been on the show, and have greater concern for his friends, but as discussed earlier with his relationship with Stan, isn’t really the case. Kyle is constantly whining and the comedy and character really suffer for it. The voice of reason trait isn’t even that special, since him and Stan often go back and forth as to who plays the role in certain episodes.

The last character I should bring up in this is Kyle’s younger brother Ike. There are a number touching sibling moments between the two, but these are shattered by things like “kick the baby”, which is meant to be played for laughs. The problems with this is that this isn’t typical sibling fighting or teasing, this is Kyle kicking his two or three year old brother through windows. This makes major inconsistency with how much Kyle cares about Ike, when he can range from a caring older brother, to treating his brother like a football, it makes me question how strong the relationship is and overall makes it fail due to inconsistencies. The final nail in the coffin is that the protective older brother trait is later picked up by Kenny in the season 15 finale The Poor Kid and to put it simply, he just sells it better.

Overall, Kyle is easily the worst character in South Park. Kyle is simply too under-developed for the amount of presence he has on the show, and his current character depicts him as this whiny, short-tempered kid with a huge stick up his ass, that goes to extreme lengths to prove his point. His roles with the other characters fall under the categories of being done to death, inconsistent, or just plain weak. There are positive traits to the character, but it doesn’t help the character that much, since they are all shared by other characters, leaving nothing unique about him. Like I said before, I know this character has a lot of fans, but I feel these flaws with the character need to be addressed, so that maybe, South Park can do better with the character, or use him less so some of the other characters who are better can have time to shine more often.
Last edited by Shane McCormick on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almyros

Re: Kyle is the Worst

Postby almyros » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:50 am

lol are you sure the worst isn't towelie
YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCSzKH0qyOTzozwDKKDcDl6A
I mostly upload videos of levels in a game called Geometry Dash, but I'm planning on uploading various game playthroughs in the future.
Subscribers: 381
FilipoSooa

Re: Kyle is the Worst

Postby FilipoSooa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Wendy has very much the same set of similar issues like the OP has described accurately with Kyle.

Return to “Character Discussion”