Is there any point in keeping PC Principal around?

Got an SP question you think other people know the answer to?

Moderator: Big-Will

KeeperIXX

Is there any point in keeping PC Principal around?

Postby KeeperIXX » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 am

I'm sorry in advance if this comes across as a rant, but this is something that somehow still bothers me.

Why is PC Principal still principal of South Park Elementary?

Ever since he first appeared in Season 19, I kept thinking, and hoping, that he was strictly gonna be a temporary character, someone that Trey and Matt will kick out of town once they've ran out of jokes to make with him.

Yet as of Seasons 20 and 21, he's still here!

Why? With Season 20 you could argue he's still pushing for political correctness, but he seems to do so more halfheartedly compared to Season 19, but even then, I argue he contradicted his own ideology when he doesn't even make even a marginal effort to investigate Skankhunt despite being a perfect opportunity to justify keeping him as well as the fact that he's devoted much more time and energy to more trivial matters.

And from what I've seen Season 21, he has yet to do anything regarding political correctness, and clearly no longer has the iron grip he used to have on the faculty or students. Heck, I think you could replace him with Principal Victoria in most of his Season 21 scenes and it would've had the same (if not better) results.

Which is why I will ask again; Why is he still here? why hasn't Principal Victoria been given her job back from him yet? What more can be done with him?

Can anyone answer these questions?
mario88

Re: Is there any point in keeping PC Principal around?

Postby mario88 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:11 am

why do people seem to hate him so much? he's a way more interesting character than principal victoria. so by all means, matt & trey, keep him in the show.
He is the record!
stevesut1

Postby stevesut1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Trey and Matt actually like having him around, so he's probably not going anywhere. Personally, I wish they'd bring Principal Victoria back to take over.
JamesPolo

Postby JamesPolo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:32 pm

I've gotten used to PCP. I don't really care anymore. His character is more comedic then Victoria. Her big thing, as I remember it, was to kind of look the other way when something would happen. Then she would leave it up to the person to decide if they will accept the situation their are in or if they will try to improve things themselves. PCP does that now too but his character has him somewhat at war over conforming everyone to following the PC way of life. I think that if PCP just becomes Victoria than they might as well get rid of PCP and bring back Victoria. It would be nice to see Victoria pop up somewhere so people would know what the hell she is up to.
He was a wise man who invented beer. -Plato
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 am

In all ways he is superior to Victoria. When they use him, he is infinitely funnier and does far more. When they don't use him, he at least has the possibility of being interesting. Victoria never really had even that.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:12 pm

I think the real question here is what is Principal Victoria now doing for a living now that she is no longer principal? Do we have to call her Mrs. Victoria now or just Victoria?
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
JVM

Postby JVM » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 am

While I think it would be nice for the show to revisit Principal Victoria, I don't think she should be kicked back into her old job at this point. It's too late. Season 19-20 might've worked. S19 had the ongoing themes connected and PCP was still new and not in vogue, and while S20 had a different storyline, the existence of a troll in the school in an ongoing storyline was something that could have disrupted PCP and could've followed on to the previous season's events well. Despite taking a level in idiocy and proving absolutely useless, PCP

Those events are both behind us, and now we're back to the story of the week, but given the nineteenth season showcased the change in principal as such a huge shift, it just wouldn't be appropriate to change things back quietly. I doubt anything 'big' will happen unless Matt and Trey were to decide to bring her back specifically - which they won't. They obviously like the new character better, and it's probably easier for Trey's writing.

All that said? As mentioned, PCP proved utterly useless when his authority was challenged by Skankhunt42, and seemed more threatening to the boys for about five seconds in one episode than he ever did to the situation at hand. I don't think a single episode since his debut season has really made a usage of him that could not have been assigned to another character. That's really disappointing, because his entrance seemed poised to bring about some kind of mini-rebirth to the show - but he's done about as much in the last two seasons as Victoria ever did.
OFFICIAL WIKI MODERATOR :D
My Fanfics | My Fanart | My Wiki Talk Page | My Inbox
Favorite Characters: Kenny and family, Stan, Wendy, Kevin Stoley, Mephestos, Tweek, Pip (RIP)
Favorite Episode: "The List" (s11e14)
Det. Sandy Vagina

Postby Det. Sandy Vagina » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 am

He's funnier and way more interesting. Victoria's only characteristic was that she was the principal.
THERE'S NO SAND IN MY VAGINA!!!
Flyingbread

Postby Flyingbread » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 pm

mario88 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:11 am
why do people seem to hate him so much? he's a way more interesting character than principal victoria. so by all means, matt & trey, keep him in the show.
Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 am
He's funnier and way more interesting. Victoria's only characteristic was that she was the principal.
I have to respectfully disagree with you in that regard.

Principal Victoria through the show was among the few voices of sanity and reason in a town where most of the adults (and sometimes even the children) were at best aggressively quirky and at worst insane enough to be put in straitjackets. And with Chef dead she's been the only one left to give any voice to moderation or stability, within the school faculty.

And I frankly couldn't see any point where PC Principal was ever funny or interesting. In Season 19 he was hypocritical, petty, and overzealous assh*le with no charm or likability to balance out his mean-spirited actions, not to mention how only rarely did anyone challenge his power when there were dozens of ways his actions could've been turned against him (hell, some of his victims don't even explain why they haven't pressed charges or hit him with lawsuits whenever he actually commits crimes in pursuit of his ideology).

And in Season 20 and what we've seen so far of Season 21, He got practically demoted to extra and ends up doing practically nothing. I couldn't even any jokes in any of his appearances here.
SouthAl93

Postby SouthAl93 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Det. Sandy Vagina wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:08 am
Exactly.
South Park is way funnier than Family Guy.
Also Mr. Garrison and Donald Trump are two SEPARATE people with completely different career backgrounds.
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:17 am

Flyingbread wrote:Principal Victoria through the show was among the few voices of sanity and reason in a town where most of the adults (and sometimes even the children) were at best aggressively quirky and at worst insane enough to be put in straitjackets. And with Chef dead she's been the only one left to give any voice to moderation or stability, within the school faculty.
This is a huge flaw in the show in general, as well as its current structure. Early episodes depended on characters like Chef or Kyle to act as the sane men to sort of stabilize everything, but as the time's passed, the saner characters have been killed off, removed or otherwise altered to the point we have few of them left. Sharon tends to fulfill the role today, as do most of the female love interests, but they're all so seldom-used it doesn't feel as satisfying.
Flyingbread wrote:And I frankly couldn't see any point where PC Principal was ever funny or interesting. In Season 19 he was hypocritical, petty, and overzealous assh*le with no charm or likability to balance out his mean-spirited actions, not to mention how only rarely did anyone challenge his power when there were dozens of ways his actions could've been turned against him (hell, some of his victims don't even explain why they haven't pressed charges or hit him with lawsuits whenever he actually commits crimes in pursuit of his ideology).
PC Principal is only a petty assh*le in "Stunning and Brave" - he's actually really fine in basically every single other episode he's appeared in. The course of his debut season is basically a redemptive arc for him as he realizes there's a time and place to be politically incorrect ("Stunning and Brave") not to put too much pressure on people ("Safe Space") and that there's greater enemies out there. ("PC Principal Final Justice") Not to mention, the eventual realization he created something far worse. ("Aw, Jeez") It doesn't all hold up, but if you isolate the actions in his debut episode, I think he can be reasonably likeable. I wouldn't make that kind of argument for a real person, but in the context of an animated television program that mostly operates without continuity, sometimes you have to ignore those kinds of things.

I think it's a consequence of the fact Matt and Trey intended to create a one-off character and then decided to keep him around, anyway. He's not been a threat since. You'd think Gerald would've been a LITTLE scared, but he only seemed to care about Sheila's reaction.
Flyingbread wrote:And in Season 20 and what we've seen so far of Season 21, He got practically demoted to extra and ends up doing practically nothing. I couldn't even any jokes in any of his appearances here.
This is my key problem, yeah, I agree. I was willing to forgive it before when it seemed like PC Principal was going to be something to freshen up the show and add some new dynamics, but he's basically been nothing more than Principal Victoria was. S20 and S21 could play exactly the same if Principal Victoria had come back at the end of S19.

So, I probably sound like I'm correcting you, but I mostly agree.
OFFICIAL WIKI MODERATOR :D
My Fanfics | My Fanart | My Wiki Talk Page | My Inbox
Favorite Characters: Kenny and family, Stan, Wendy, Kevin Stoley, Mephestos, Tweek, Pip (RIP)
Favorite Episode: "The List" (s11e14)

Return to “Q&A”