1311 Whale Whores Inaccuracies

Moderator: Big-Will

syrup16g

1311 Whale Whores Inaccuracies

Postby syrup16g » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:00 pm

I was surprised to see a number of Japanese errors, given the shows history with the subject and the background of Trey Parker.

-The text on the side of the oil drums does not say "Fuel Storage," but nonsense in Japanese.
-The text on the skyline is more nonsense Japanese.
-Japanese prisons do not look like what is depicted in the episode, and there is more Japanese nonsense written on the walls.
-The Japanese police refer to the emperor as "Akihito-sama," this would never happen in Japan, and many Japanese do not know the emperor's name.
-Akihito says "Over 50 years ago" when it could be "Over 60," not a big deal but..

It surprises me that the (festival) outfits of the Japanese are very accurate and obviously well-researched (as well as the emblem of Prime Minister Hatoyama, etc) yet there are also several inaccuracies throughout the episode.
Last edited by syrup16g on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: 1311 Whale Wars Inaccuracies

Postby Big-Will » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:40 pm

BAKA TSUREI!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version and UK version
Timmatron

Re: 1311 Whale Whores Inaccuracies

Postby Timmatron » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:57 pm

syrup16g wrote:I was surprised to see a number of Japanese errors, given the shows history with the subject and the background of Trey Parker.

-The text on the side of the oil drums does not say "Fuel Storage," but nonsense in Japanese.
-The text on the skyline is more nonsense Japanese.
-Japanese prisons do not look like what is depicted in the episode, and there is more Japanese nonsense written on the walls.
-The Japanese police refer to the emperor as "Akihito-sama," this would never happen in Japan, and many Japanese do not know the emperor's name.
-Akihito says "Over 50 years ago" when it could be "Over 60," not a big deal but..

It surprises me that the (festival) outfits of the Japanese are very accurate and obviously well-researched (as well as the emblem of Prime Minister Hatoyama, etc) yet there are also several inaccuracies throughout the episode.

Most people watching South Park wouldn't know how to read Japanese anyways... Just funny little things I'm sure they threw in there to add to the scenery.
tankstar

Postby tankstar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:44 am

yeah there was definitely a part when they were making fun of the fat guy from whale wars show where they called him a "narcoleptic" when instead i think they meant to say he was a "narcissist." This could be have been intentional but idk. That's a pretty stupid mistake. How did they not notice that?
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 pm

tankstar wrote:yeah there was definitely a part when they were making fun of the fat guy from whale wars show where they called him a "narcoleptic" when instead i think they meant to say he was a "narcissist." This could be have been intentional but idk. That's a pretty stupid mistake. How did they not notice that?

wut.

Er...
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual

Return to “Season 13”