*1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

JVM

*1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion

Postby JVM » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:09 pm

When I was new to the fandom in 2006, the main thing on my mind in every fanfic was the McCormick family. I laid out all my plans with them and they were integral characters - Stuart, Carol, Kevin, Kenny and Karen. They weren't the perfect family but godammit they were my muses. I think I was only the third or fourth author to even utilize Karen, and the first to use her name in a fanfic. The writing was sh*tty at this point but godammit, I'm still proud of those fics no matter how bad they were.

Karen was groomed like an original character to me: a sweet little girl with mischievous tendencies who tried to be independent but always needed her brothers watching over her. But beneath that exterior, she was just a sweet little girl. Her other family members were given personalities based on the show but still, Karen was like my own creation. It sure felt like it, anyway.

This was five years ago, in November 2006.

And in the past week, I have been vindicated beyond belief.

First, on a personal note, I pleased my favorite author of all-time with a birthday fic and in three days wrote a colossal tribute and love letter to my favorite fanfics of all-time. And now tonight, we got the seasonal Kenny episode, which did one major thing - Karen McCormick became a legitimate character. She had the exact voice I'd envisioned, and a personality that didn't quite match but wasn't far from the mark. I wasn't too concerned but then...

"Get back to bed, Karen."

You have no idea how f*cking magical those words feel to me.

There was an old original fan character back in the first couple seasons or so named Estella Havisham, a girl for Pip based on the Great Expectations character. And then the episode "Pip" came out and that fankid became more than a fankid, a sort of ascended fankid in a way. That's how I feel right now.

No, I didn't create Karen. She doesn't belong to me. She belongs to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I know goddamn well they never read any of my fanfics, don't know who the hell I am, and probably have no idea what the BFD is to me. And yet, it still feels, deep down, it just feels a little like, you know, I made a difference. I matter. A small part of me feels like, you know, I actually had a small influence on the show I've loved for years. It's a f*ckin' magical feeling.

There's only one thing in today's episode that genuinely disappointed me and hurt my headcanons for the family. While I'm well aware of the physical abuse between the parents, I find it extraordinarily disappointing to find that the kids endured physical abuse as well.
OFFICIAL SOUTH PARK STUDIOS WIKI MODERATOR
My SP Forums | My Fanfics | My Fanart | My Wiki Talk Page
Favorite Characters: Kenny and family, Wendy, Tweek, Kevin Stoley, Mephesto, Pip (RIP)
Favorite Episode: "The List" (s11e14)
jenhug12kennylover

Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby jenhug12kennylover » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:11 pm

you mean 5 more years :D
triplemultiplex wrote:
Four more years! Four more years! Seriously, we get four more years!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 pm

jenhug12kennylover wrote:you mean 5 more years :D
triplemultiplex wrote:
Four more years! Four more years! Seriously, we get four more years!

:oops: :oops:
I fail 1st grade math.

Although technically, we do get 4 more seasons... and then another one.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Cainman

Postby Cainman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 pm

JVM wrote:When I was new to the fandom in 2006, the main thing on my mind in every fanfic was the McCormick family. I laid out all my plans with them and they were integral characters - Stuart, Carol, Kevin, Kenny and Karen. They weren't the perfect family but godammit they were my muses. I think I was only the third or fourth author to even utilize Karen, and the first to use her name in a fanfic. The writing was sh*tty at this point but godammit, I'm still proud of those fics no matter how bad they were.

Karen was groomed like an original character to me: a sweet little girl with mischievous tendencies who tried to be independent but always needed her brothers watching over her. But beneath that exterior, she was just a sweet little girl. Her other family members were given personalities based on the show but still, Karen was like my own creation. It sure felt like it, anyway.

First, on a personal note, I pleased my favorite author of all-time with a birthday fic and in three days wrote a colossal tribute and love letter to my favorite fanfics of all-time. And now tonight, we got the seasonal Kenny episode, which did one major thing - Karen McCormick became a legitimate character. She had the exact voice I'd envisioned, and a personality that didn't quite match but wasn't far from the mark. I wasn't too concerned but then...

There was an old original fan character back in the first couple seasons or so named Estella Havisham, a girl for Pip based on the Great Expectations character. And then the episode "Pip" came out and that fankid became more than a fankid, a sort of ascended fankid in a way. That's how I feel right now.

No, I didn't create Karen. She doesn't belong to me. She belongs to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I know goddamn well they never read any of my fanfics, don't know who the hell I am, and probably have no idea what the BFD is to me. And yet, it still feels, deep down, it just feels a little like, you know, I made a difference. I matter. A small part of me feels like, you know, I actually had a small influence on the show I've loved for years. It's a f*ckin' magical feeling.

There's only one thing in today's episode that genuinely disappointed me and hurt my headcanons for the family. While I'm well aware of the physical abuse between the parents, I find it extraordinarily disappointing to find that the kids endured physical abuse as well.

Dude, with a comment like that it makes me wonder if you worked for Penn State.
ckyfan55

Postby ckyfan55 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Cainman wrote:
JVM wrote:When I was new to the fandom in 2006, the main thing on my mind in every fanfic was the McCormick family. I laid out all my plans with them and they were integral characters - Stuart, Carol, Kevin, Kenny and Karen. They weren't the perfect family but godammit they were my muses. I think I was only the third or fourth author to even utilize Karen, and the first to use her name in a fanfic. The writing was sh*tty at this point but godammit, I'm still proud of those fics no matter how bad they were.

Dude, with a comment like that it makes me wonder if you worked for Penn State.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. We can't know for sure.
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm white trash and I'm in trouble! 8.9/10 My favorite element of the episode was Karen and Kenny's care for her. Loved the Penn State jokes too.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:55 pm

What a great epiosde to end whats been a excellent season its nice to see more of kennys family hope we see more of them in the future. I found the scenes with Kenny protecting Karen really sweet. Cartman ripping on that poor kid in the new school typical cartman really so glad he had to say "i`m white trash".
I would have liked Kenny to be the hero at the end and save the kids as Mysterion but how it all ended was cool,and that was some ending :lol: :lol: the best season final since The List imo.

Shame that this 7 run of episodes have come to an end but i have really liked 15b.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
byte19

Postby byte19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: what... the... f*ck!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time!! was actually tearing up at the awesome Mysterion moments... then the END!!! :zombiekenny: :zombiekenny: simply amazing finale!
now that's what i call a stickey situation!!
addictedtoblur314

Postby addictedtoblur314 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 pm

That was. By far. the best episode this run. Happy Karen talked, Happy mysterion appeared, he really is so sweet. Mysterion and Kenny have just been upgraded to tying with kyle for me. I loved the agnostic jokes. It was great, the jokes make me laugh soooo much. Cartman pissed me off, what he did to jacob was terrible, though it's totally him. I dunno.

I kind of lked the penn state jokes. HA. and when mysterion defends karen, it is the sweetest thing ever, man he can kick arse!! I dont care what you guys say, i liked this episode, but man, the ending. He will come back, right? i mean he cant die forrealz.

Oh and kyle was genious.

And yes, there are flaws in the foster care system
"Sometimes, love is hard. But you cant just run away from it. When you start to have somethin special you have to work at it.Even though it might seem that the world is against you,u still have to hold on with both hands! "-Eric Cartman
NeuroHeart

Postby NeuroHeart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 pm

I literally cheered when Mysterion dropped into frame. That was epic and made of win!
To believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 pm

They pulled out all the stops for this Kenny ep, and I'm glad they did!

I, among others, figured on a "death" for him, but for him to appear as Mysterion again is a nice touch!

The guy and his Penn State jokes were definitely done to death, but there were some gems in the bunch.

Great job by the SP crew! The season wraps up on a high note, 10/10!
tama211

Postby tama211 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:37 pm

This replaced Last of the Meeheecans as my favourite episode this run. Not only did it have everything a Kenny fan like me was looking in an episode, it was a legitimate social commentary on the Foster system! Everything I've been wanting to happen this run!

Definitely one of my favourites! By far the best part was whenever Mysterion made an entrance. It really developed his character, he has a protective older brother attitude!
Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls

Re: *1514: The Poor Kid* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 pm

This episode almost felt like it was written for this forum--Kenny-centric, Karen, Mysterion, Kenny death, the McCormicks' meth lab, and an unhappy ending for Eric. :wink: Only problem: still no official name for Mrs. McCormick! (Or did Stuart say something at the beginning?)

But still, great episode. Every aspect of it. Especially Dr Pepper. And was that a reference to "The Giant Claw" at the end? Didn't have the infamous face, so probably not. (EDIT: Ah, it was the giant reptilian bird! Though birds are technically reptiles. Sorta. :P)
Ex1lepr0 wrote:
mo303564 wrote:...about damn time they made agnostic jokes. Now if only they can turn on the Athiests! :twisted:

Remember "Go God Go"?
Not to mention "Red Hot Catholic Love," where they basically implied that atheists spew a bunch of crap.

Anyway, how I'd rank 15B:
1. The Last of the Meheecans
2. 1%
3. The Poor Kid
4. Ass Burgers
5. Broadway Musical Bro Down
6. Bass to Mouth
7. A History Channel Thanksgiving

But they were all great! Possibly my favorite run since 9B. It was nice how they good made use of all 6 main characters in this run.

Oh and am I the only person who thought of this throughout the whole episode?
Last edited by Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 am

Damn, that dirty birdy is making me wonder if Kenny actually tastes like chicken or more like a platypus. Bad thoughts! Bad thoughts!
cowanshayna

Postby cowanshayna » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am

can someone please tell me when they'll air this episode again? basic cable with no channel guide sucks!

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”