Do any of you really like family guy?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

JDG128

Postby JDG128 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:14 am

I like Family Guy AND South Park. This guy writes up a pretty good defense of people who like Family Guy in spite of the criticisms people can make:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/04/09/in-de ... amily-guy/
Oizel

Postby Oizel » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:04 am

I have never been able to watch Family Guy. I would have been able to cope with their poor plots and unrelated jokes, but the fact that they copies the Simpsons way too much and the crappy characters(except Stewie and Brian the talking dog) just pisses me off too much.
Lemmiwinks journeyed a distance far and fast
To find his way out of a gay man's ass
The road ahead is filled with danger and fright
But push onwards Lemmiwinks with all of your might
Alektoro

Postby Alektoro » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:16 am

I never really ever liked it.
I watched about five episodes, my little sister pretty much made me said "it was f*cking hilarious"
Which translated to "Stewie is funny"
Without stewie that show could not carry itself, it would be a pathetic exscuse for a cartoon.
Sorry for you guys that enjoy family guy, just not particularly fond of it.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:01 am

I love Family Guy, it's one of my favorite shows. And I love it for completely different reasons than I love South Park. There's no mixing the two. The disconnected cutaway gags and jokes that drag out longer than the audience expects is one of my favorite aspects. Family Guy is much more closely related to Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen Hunger Force than it is to South Park because of the shear randomness.

Furthermore, I find it difficult to wrap my brain around these stupid statements that Family Guy is a rip off of The Simpsons. It's a rip off because Homer and Peter are both fat and stupid? That's the only similarity I see. Every other goddamn comedy has a fat stupid guy, so they must be ripping off the Simpsons, too. They both consistantly have great music from their own orchestras. But every show used to have that. Maybe my taste has refined enough to where I can distinguish the complete dissimilarity that should be obvious between the two shows.

Whatever though. I don't have to explain this crap to you people. I'm just gonna keep watching the shows that I like regardless of how much assinine bickering the fans of those shows have amongst themselves. And those shows include South Park, The Simpsons and Family Guy; all good in thier own, distinct way.

You read it! You can't unread it!
cartman's girl

Postby cartman's girl » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:16 pm

i love both, each in adifferent way 8)
-I'll stop making sigs for a while
eric pedigo

Postby eric pedigo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:55 pm

:roll:
Last edited by eric pedigo on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naivok

Postby Naivok » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:00 pm

I enjoy watching Family Guy. No where near as good as South Park for many reasons I do not feel like stating but I think you all can make the connection yourself.
Darth Chef: Hello there children, how would you like to suck on my chocolate salty balls.

SAC Leader: You mean like a chocolate candy?

Darth Chef: No, I mean my balls!!
TiffanyD

Postby TiffanyD » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:17 pm

While I like South Park more and respect them a lot, sometimes it is nice to watch something that you don't have to think about. For that reason, I do like Family Guy. Sure, they do a lot of jokes that are stupid and don't really reflect the state of the world but with my stressful ass life, sometimes it is nice to watch something that doesn't remind me of how crappy the world is.

On the last epsiode that South Park had, I found myself thinking so much about what the "meaning" behind everything was, that I didn't laugh at anything except when I saw their parody of Family Guy. That made me sad :(
God Bless Us Everyone
Aunt Bea

Postby Aunt Bea » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:15 pm

I saw the show and I think M&T making fun of FG goes beyond a little "gotcha back, wink-wink" kind of thing. Look at the way they copied the characters ... it was spot on, almost like they got help from FG folks. I think FG was totally in on the whole thing.
The final words of the episode about the network pussing out ... it really smacked of the whole yanking of the "In the Closet" episode. I feel tt was totally them being critical of CC for yanking the episode at the bequest of the Co$ thugs. I think M&T are going to throw a jab in EVERY episode possible from now on. The word on the street is Isaac Hayes had some goon from Co$ quit for him (That goon would be Roger Friedman, one of IH's Co$ handlers.) Hayes is supposed to be very ill (stroke on Jan. 17) and not even capable of making such statements. People who know him say he would never have quit over something like that and that he loved the show. I believe M&T are heartbroken over losing Hayes, and they'll work at getting revenge on Co$ for as long as it takes.
BruceIt

Postby BruceIt » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:36 pm

I use to watch and like Family Guy, but now it sucks and I never watch it.
South Park, just only kicks the crap out of all shows on TV, along side with Conan O' Brien and Dave Chappelle!!!
Oizel

Postby Oizel » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:10 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Furthermore, I find it difficult to wrap my brain around these stupid statements that Family Guy is a rip off of The Simpsons. It's a rip off because Homer and Peter are both fat and stupid? That's the only similarity I see. Every other goddamn comedy has a fat stupid guy, so they must be ripping off the Simpsons, too. They both consistantly have great music from their own orchestras. But every show used to have that. Maybe my taste has refined enough to where I can distinguish the complete dissimilarity that should be obvious between the two shows.

Are you really serious? I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with liking FG, but can you really not see the endless Simpson-ripoffs in that show?
Peter is such an obvious(but poor) Homerclone.(sure, many comedies have stupid, fat characters, but come on!).
Lois is just a plain version of Marge, and the way she interacts with Peter is very similar to how Marges and Homers relationship works.
The children are not copied only because it would make the rip off to obvious. Instead they have ben reduced to extremley weak and shallow characters(except for Stewie, god bless him).
Amongst the other copied characters we have that red-haired jewish version of the Van Houten family(with the wannabe-Milhouse kid being in love with the boring Lisa-replacement Meg).

Furthermore, the whole structure of the show is stolen from the Simpsons. The family of five living in similar towns. Basiclly the same alignment os background characters(except that the simpsons have more and better), like the incompetent mayor, the newsanchor, the gay boss/boss's assistant and so on. The exception is Peters 3 neighbors/friends(but they might be stolen from "King Of The Hill").

And if this isn't enough, what about all the plots and gags that FG have stolen?
Simpsons(tomacco episode): The family flee from town to live in an old, broken house in the middle of nowhere. When Homer first enters the house he is attacked by a Raccoon.
FG(redneck episode): The family flee from town to live in an old, broken house in the middle of nowhere. When Peter first enters the house he is attacked by a Raccoon.

Simpsons: Santas little helper runs into a greyhound track and makes sweet love to a greyhound bitch. She gets pregnant and they have puppies.
FG: Brian runs into a greyhound track and makes sweet love to a greyhound bitch. She gets pregnant and the puppies are born with the face of Lois' father(any1 remember the ending of SP episode "an elefant makes love to a pig"?).

Simpsons: Homer becomes Death.
FG: Peter becomes Death... I could go on, but i think you get the picture.

Maybe that statement about FG ripping the Simpsons wasent so stupid after all?
lemonwinks27

Postby lemonwinks27 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:14 am

i like family guy but i definatly dont think it can compare to south park.....its not as well written or anything. "cartoon wars" definatly laid it all ot though.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:16 am

Oizel wrote:Simpsons(tomacco episode): The family flee from town to live in an old, broken house in the middle of nowhere. When Homer first enters the house he is attacked by a Raccoon.
FG(redneck episode): The family flee from town to live in an old, broken house in the middle of nowhere. When Peter first enters the house he is attacked by a Raccoon.

Simpsons: Santas little helper runs into a greyhound track and makes sweet love to a greyhound bitch. She gets pregnant and they have puppies.
FG: Brian runs into a greyhound track and makes sweet love to a greyhound bitch. She gets pregnant and the puppies are born with the face of Lois' father(any1 remember the ending of SP episode "an elefant makes love to a pig"?).

Simpsons: Homer becomes Death.
FG: Peter becomes Death... I could go on, but i think you get the picture.

Simsons have been on for 20 years. Of course they did everything by now. But the main difference between the 2 shows is that Family Guy is 3 times funnier. And every idea came from another idea.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
Oizel

Postby Oizel » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:24 am

Kyle's_Marklar wrote:
Simsons have been on for 20 years. Of course they did everything by now. But the main difference between the 2 shows is that Family Guy is 3 times funnier. And every idea came from another idea.

Yeah, I saw "The Simpsons allready did it" too. But there is a BIG difference between an existing show that comes up with an idea similar to something that has been done before, and making dumb copies of another shows characters and then stealing ideas from the same show. Lame!
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:30 am

^ But still 3 times funnier in my opinion and you said the only original thing was Peter having 3 friends. That's not true. It's not original. Homer always drinks with his buddies Lenny, Carl and Moe. That's a copy too.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”