Do any of you really like family guy?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Oizel

Postby Oizel » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:44 am

Kyle's_Marklar wrote:^ But still 3 times funnier in my opinion and you said the only original thing was Peter having 3 friends. That's not true. It's not original. Homer always drinks with his buddies Lenny, Carl and Moe. That's a copy too.

You're a copy!

Homer do have 3 friends, but they are not as big part of the show as Peters 3 friends are.
And i did NOT say that this was the only original thing. I just didnt mention any other original things.
Lemmiwinks journeyed a distance far and fast
To find his way out of a gay man's ass
The road ahead is filled with danger and fright
But push onwards Lemmiwinks with all of your might
karinadeville

Postby karinadeville » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:35 am

i enjoy family guy even though its incredibly predictable. "cartoon wars" was right on!
How shall we f*ck off, O Lord?
KirstenFromHell

Postby KirstenFromHell » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:47 am

I like Family Guy a lot. South Park may be better and smarter, but no one does the non-sequitur gag better than Family Guy. It's their specialty, it's what the show revolves around and it really is a very different sort of humor from South Park. Also, while Family Guy is a Simpsons ripoff to an extent (really the only majorly similar characters are Homer and Peter), it's a first rate one that's often funnier than the Simpsons these days.

Furthermore, the whole Simpsons/Family Guy "feud," has nothing to do with either Seth MacFarlane or Matt Groening. MacFarlane was inspired by the Simpsons just like Matt and Trey were, and Groening actually has no problem with Family Guy. From an interview from 2000 here: http://www.snpp.com/other/interviews/groening00a.html
Several shows, including King of the Hill, The PJs and Family Guy, have caught his eye. "What I like about them is that they are all very strong visions of individual creators or small groups of creators, and none of their shows looks like any of the others."

If anything, it seems like Matt Groening seems proud to have inspired so many others creators.

Conversely, MacFarlane has said he's been fine with the jabs that the Simpsons have made at Family Guy's expense, and reportedly MacFarlane and Groening actually are kind of friends in real life. Unfortunately for Groening, he doesn't have a lot of direct control over the show he created anymore.

Anyway, I think a lot of this has been blown out of proportion. I'm sure whatever Matt and Trey have in store for Family Guy on Wednesday will be viciously funny. If Family Guy chooses to respond, I'd like to hope it'd be something more clever than the lame gag the Simpsons did which basically wrote off South Park as nothing but cheap shock humor (which is simply untrue; if anything South Park is often the smartest comedy on television these days).

-KFH
jjmac12345

Postby jjmac12345 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:12 am

Oizel wrote:Simpsons: Homer becomes Death.
FG: Peter becomes Death... I could go on, but i think you get the picture.

Peter became Death about 2.5 years before Homer. Family Guy is in no way a ripoff of the Simpsons and the rest of your examples are really a stretch. All shows are gonna have some similarities that doesn't mean they are ripoffs.
heatfist

Postby heatfist » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:50 am

family guy is one of the best animate shows ive seen on tv for a while i personly own seasons 1 and 2 and i think it is the best besides south park and people who dont like screw you guys go home
cartman says:
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Oizel wrote:Lois is just a plain version of Marge, and the way she interacts with Peter is very similar to how Marges and Homers relationship works.

That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. Lois is from money and has a bad girl streak that would make Jimbo, Daulph and Kearny blush. Thier manorisms are completely different. Lois has that twinge of arrogence to her personality from being raised wealthy. Marge plays the worried, somewhat naive mother better than any other character on television. But Marge doesn't have the pre-Homer backstory that's been established for Lois pre-Peter.

Oizel wrote:Amongst the other copied characters we have that red-haired jewish version of the Van Houten family(with the wannabe-Milhouse kid being in love with the boring Lisa-replacement Meg).

See I don't agree. Mort Goldman is a huge wuss, but he's a sucessful business owner. Kurt Van Houten is more of downtrotten loser who can't catch a break and when he is successful at something, he acts like he's got his sh*t together when really he's so hilariously pathetic.

Oizel wrote:Basiclly the same alignment os background characters, like the incompetent mayor,

Adam West's randomness is no where close to Joe Quimby's selfish womanizing, boozehound Kennedy parody.

Oizel wrote:the newsanchor,

I don't see it. Tom Tucker is a cheesy 70's local anchor and Kent Brockman is kind of an amalgamation of various national broadcast anchors.

Oizel wrote:the gay boss/boss's assistant

Only the fact that Smithers & Mr. Weed are/were gay & in the closet makes them alike. Besides, Mr. Weed's been gone for a while since Peter changes jobs ever few years. And Smithers isn't gay, he's a Burns-a-phile.

Oizel wrote:("Screwed the Pooch" to "Two Dozen and One Greyhounds comparison")

The only similarity between those two hilarious plots was the place of conception.
And that was supposed to be Ted Turner's face on those puppies. That's why they kinda barked with a southern accent.

Oizel wrote:Maybe that statement about FG ripping the Simpsons wasent so stupid after all?

Yes it was.

You read it! You can't unread it!
proffeser_chaos911

Postby proffeser_chaos911 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:28 pm

i dont like family guy that much. so i dont bother watching it
Oizel

Postby Oizel » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:41 am

Triplemultiplex; I am well aware that The mayors, newsanchors and foremen arent identical copies of eachother, and it was not my meaning to suggest that. I was talking about the way FG seems to have used the simpsons as a guide to wich backgrundcharacters a cartoon satire show should have. It kinda feels like McFarlane started out with the simpsons,and then changed it. Removed some characters and replacing some and so on(kindalike when you write an essay out ofa book, basicly writing the exact same text but changing some synonyms and scratching some parts).
It really dont takes a genious to see it.
Take the Goldmans for example. Sure Mort may be a successfull business owner while mr VanHouten is a loser(but once he was a bigshot down at the cracker factory), but even if Kurt was a crackwhore and Mort anastronaut, the similarities of their families should be obvious to everyone: A dorky Father-Mother-Son family with the same hair and glasses that speaks in the same way. Both with sons that are hopelessley in love with the main characters daughter.
Or is this a coincidence?

I totally agree that Lois and Marge have many different characteristics, but there are even more similaritys. The dialouge between her and Peter could most of the time just as well be between Marge and Homer.

About the dogtrack thing, sure. Maybe the only thing in that plot that were stolen from the simpsons was the dogtrack "incident", but for a show thats allready so similar to another, they should be more carefull.

I hope that you understand what i'm saying, efen though you not agree with me. It's hard for me to express myself in english since I dont live in an englishspeaking country :/
Lemmiwinks journeyed a distance far and fast
To find his way out of a gay man's ass
The road ahead is filled with danger and fright
But push onwards Lemmiwinks with all of your might
landamo

Postby landamo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 am

I enjoy Family Guy very much, but not as much as I do South Park.

As for Family Guy being a Simpsons rip off well... they do seem to use the basic template that the Simpsons lay down but there is one major diffrence, Family Guy is prettty damn funny at times
athing

Postby athing » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:41 am

I used to love Family Guy, but recently (all of the new episodes since it was brought back) they think that all that they have to do is put flashbacks in their work and it'll make them famous, and all of their 14 year old homosexual fans will buy all of their merchandise. And they're right, which is the sad thing. But, really, they over-use the flashbacks. They used to be original, and were somewhat related to a plot. Now, there have been flashbacks were peter's a deer, and peter's a bed warmer, and it just doesn't make any sense. They used to be funny, now they're kind of...lame? I really don't know what to call them. Also, they're complete sell-outs. They use they're over-used quotes to sell stuff that has no use, and I'm surprised anyone wants. Family Guy was kind of turning towards this direction before it was cancelled, but no one saw this coming. Then, it comes back on the air, acting like it's the best show ever, and is just filled with pop-culture references and cut-aways. Hell, I could write a show like that and make some dumb 14 year-old buy my stuff. They just use the same formula over and over again. blah blah blah blah, like the time blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah, This is even worse than the time blah blah blah. Just fill in the "blahs", and you've got comedic gold!! Some of the dumb people watching only laugh because it's Family Guy, a show that everyone loves, so they feel like they'll be "cooler" if they say they think it's funny, and show-off they're merchandise to other kids. It's all really over-rated. South Park, on the other hand, is witty, funny, and full of satire. The characters have fully developed personalities, and are some of the funniest persoanlities ever. Also, it's strikingly original. Family Guy doesn't even come close to South Park anymore, even though it used to be a tie in my opinion.
As Shakespeare once said,

"1 pwn3d j00 n00b!! 1 4m 73h 1337 m4573r!!! lolololololololololol!!!!!!!!

Brilliant words form a brilliant mind.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:40 am

These new seasons suck... of both SP and FG. Family Guy's flashbacks aren't funny anymore and there's about 10 of them in each episode. Out of 10, about 6 are lame and without their funny flashbacks, the show sucks. :cry:
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
athing

Postby athing » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:51 am

Actually, I like the new seasons of South Park more than the previous ones. seasons 1 through 4 were almost all complete sh*t compared to these new episodes. The newer ones actually take retarded stuff happening around the world, and make it funny. You see, it's like the opposite of "Foamy the Squirrell", who takes not very significant things, and rants for 2 minutes, not being well animated or funny in anyway. South Park makes you laugh at the stupidity that you actually SEE all of the time! Family Guy is also just a bad storyline, with flashbacks, so yes,
South Park > Family Guy and Foamy.

Wait, where did Foamy come from?
As Shakespeare once said,

"1 pwn3d j00 n00b!! 1 4m 73h 1337 m4573r!!! lolololololololololol!!!!!!!!

Brilliant words form a brilliant mind.
Butters Stotch100

Postby Butters Stotch100 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:26 am

i i dont like family guy at all it tries everything to be funny.
as with the simpsons their still on the air after 17 years hopefully they will be done after the movie comes out next year
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:29 am

Family Guy likes to reference a lot of weird things...you ether get it or you don't. Thankfully I take great amusement to funny random silly stupidity like that.
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
feioncastor

Postby feioncastor » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:23 am

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:Family Guy likes to reference a lot of weird things...you ether get it or you don't. Thankfully I take great amusement to funny random silly stupidity like that.

This is true. For example, in the episode "Brian goes back to College", Stewie mentions that many people have cheated, and it cuts to a clip of SNL with someone introducing Ashlee Simpson with the words, "Once again, Ashlee Simpson!" The music starts, and then right as she is about to sing it changes to the song "Old Man Rivers", being performed by a deep-voiced man. Ashlee looks confused and scared for a moment and then dances off camera.

If you hadn't seen the video of what happened on SNL in October 2004, you probably didn't get that joke. But I got it, and it was funny!

Even so, the point is simple.

South Park and Family Guy are both comedic cartoons that are more geared toward adults.

And that's where the similarities end.

They are two seperate shows with little in common that approach comedy in totally different ways.

Yeah, FG jokes are interchangable. In fact, I often have trouble remembering which episode had a gag in it that I really liked because the gag itself had no relationship to the story of the episode.

But just because they're random and interchangable doesn't mean that they are not funny! FG is funny! Plus, if they have an episode with a stupid story, they can still have funny gags in it, and they usually do. If South Park has an episode with a stupid story, they're forced to make stupid jokes because their jokes are so plot-driven.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”