Do any of you really like family guy?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ugogo_uswimswim
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:56 am

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:30 pm

No, not really. I was a fan at first, but then it just got old. I like cartoons that make you think. Family Guy is kind of stupid and doesn't require much thinking at all. South Park has a lot of political and ethical views to think about. Family Guy, not so much.
deathandecay
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Postby deathandecay » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:26 pm

I too was a fan at first because of its random humor and stupidity. Hell sometimes i'll watch a couple shows here and there. But south park is indefinetly better and funnier. I just dont like how its worshiped and praised for marketing and hot f*cking topic.
ugogo_uswimswim
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:56 am

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:02 pm

deathandecay wrote:I too was a fan at first because of its random humor and stupidity. Hell sometimes i'll watch a couple shows here and there. But south park is indefinetly better and funnier. I just dont like how its worshiped and praised for marketing and hot f*cking topic.


South Park or Family Guy? I can never find good South Park stuff anywhere.
CartmanMills
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Postby CartmanMills » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:37 pm

I keep postin on these :D But here's a question...

The defence of "South Park is so much more than a comedy" is a strange one. First of all, S.P IS a comedy. It makes people laugh. But are we supposed to dissect each message that SP has and how they jab at things secretly? That makes it more of a show?

South Park is a brilliant show, no doubt about it. Family Guy doesn't come close but it's still a good show regardless of what some on this forum might say. I do know that F.G. has it's flaws but it's getting to the point where every episode is torn apart because it's either not South Park or the Simpsons. If you dont like F.G.'s humour, DON'T WATCH IT! Specifically, dont spend your entire time pissing and moaning about how it should be taken off air. I hate Star Trek but you dont see me calling for it to be taken off television.

Some shows you love and some shows you hate/loathe. I loathe Lost and I loathe things like Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. But I also understand that there's something that makes people like these shows and even though I hate them... well, I'm understanding.

However, from what I see here, some people hate Family Guy and will insult it's fans just because they dont have an understanding of why people like it. All they see is their opinion and nowone else'. I've done it in the past regarding the Simpsons and King of the Hill but have changed my ways. I understand that they're popular for a reason. Everyone laughed at Simpsons but IMO, it's become a wreck. Nothing is laugh out loud anymore (e.g. the BBQ/Homer joke was pathetic and predictable.)

Once upon a time, Simpsons was unpredictable in it's jokes, funny and very well done. Now it's been cut down by parenting watchdogs and just being on the air for so long that it's hard to keep up with what it once was. However, I believe that it still has a formula that makes people watch it and like it even though I, myself, dont understand it.

Please understand. Please. :)
deathandecay
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Postby deathandecay » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:35 pm

ugogo_uswimswim wrote:
South Park or Family Guy? I can never find good South Park stuff anywhere.


Family guy. To me, its overrated. Im sick and tired of seeing stewie everywhere i go. T shirts, cups, caps, backpacks, on peoples f*cking myspace pages. Sure, hes funny, but too much of something can be tiresome. Like too much angelina jolie. And people liking family guy to be 'cool' and 'in the trend' is just ridiculous. But i live in an area where trends are everything(hot topic is a place of worship for attention-starving teens), so you guys may not agree with eveything i say.
Rooster_Costume
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:57 am

Postby Rooster_Costume » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:22 pm

gmac wrote:I actually like family guy, it's funnier than south park, but not better if you know what i mean.

Yeah, comedy definitely doesn't make a comedy show. I totally understand. :roll: The random humor in FG is just as funny as SP's random humor, but when it comes to the overall humor of the show, there is no comparison (IMHO). SP's humor is way more intelligent, and it's just that much funnier.

I've said before that the early episodes of SP and the early episodes of FG are equally good. I'm watching The Thin White Line right now, and it reminds me of how good Family Guy used to be. It had a good plotline, and it had the random humor in it, too. The random humor is actually funny because it has a plotline. That's the problem with FG recently. It's all been dumb, random humor. There is no plotline to support it, therefore it isn't funny.
Image
Image
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
KissArmyStarChild
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 7:24 am

Postby KissArmyStarChild » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:00 am

i love family guy. i think i like it more than south park, but they're both god damn hilarious.
Image
kilkenny14
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:43 am

Postby kilkenny14 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:34 am

CartmanMills wrote:I keep postin on these :D But here's a question...

The defence of "South Park is so much more than a comedy" is a strange one. First of all, S.P IS a comedy. It makes people laugh. But are we supposed to dissect each message that SP has and how they jab at things secretly? That makes it more of a show?

South Park is a brilliant show, no doubt about it. Family Guy doesn't come close but it's still a good show regardless of what some on this forum might say. I do know that F.G. has it's flaws but it's getting to the point where every episode is torn apart because it's either not South Park or the Simpsons. If you dont like F.G.'s humour, DON'T WATCH IT! Specifically, dont spend your entire time pissing and moaning about how it should be taken off air. I hate Star Trek but you dont see me calling for it to be taken off television.

Some shows you love and some shows you hate/loathe. I loathe Lost and I loathe things like Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. But I also understand that there's something that makes people like these shows and even though I hate them... well, I'm understanding.

However, from what I see here, some people hate Family Guy and will insult it's fans just because they dont have an understanding of why people like it. All they see is their opinion and nowone else'. I've done it in the past regarding the Simpsons and King of the Hill but have changed my ways. I understand that they're popular for a reason. Everyone laughed at Simpsons but IMO, it's become a wreck. Nothing is laugh out loud anymore (e.g. the BBQ/Homer joke was pathetic and predictable.)

Once upon a time, Simpsons was unpredictable in it's jokes, funny and very well done. Now it's been cut down by parenting watchdogs and just being on the air for so long that it's hard to keep up with what it once was. However, I believe that it still has a formula that makes people watch it and like it even though I, myself, dont understand it.

Please understand. Please. :)
nice speech. just what i wuz thinking.
DID YOU SAY SOMETHING TO ME, SCISSOR TITS?!?!?!
Novacaine15
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:05 pm

Postby Novacaine15 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:44 pm

I hate Family Guy. I don't get that show at all.
Image
fattass12
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Postby fattass12 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:39 pm

at first its sorta funny but them but then for the rest of the show its boring. randam jokes get old pretty fast
Mondo Panic
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:05 pm

Postby Mondo Panic » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:05 pm

Family guy isn't clever or smart or the best cartoon out there, but it IS the funniest cartoon out there. It sacrifices meaning and plot for the msot hilarious randomness ever, and it will ALWAYS be the funniest show I've ever seen.

South Park is my favourite cartoon, the ironic humour is funny, but it'l never be as hilarious as Family Guy because it goes for meaning and intelligent points as opposed to mindless, moronic brilliance.
Image
Rooster_Costume
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:57 am

Postby Rooster_Costume » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:48 pm

kilkenny14 wrote:
CartmanMills wrote:I keep postin on these :D But here's a question...

The defence of "South Park is so much more than a comedy" is a strange one. First of all, S.P IS a comedy. It makes people laugh. But are we supposed to dissect each message that SP has and how they jab at things secretly? That makes it more of a show?

South Park is a brilliant show, no doubt about it. Family Guy doesn't come close but it's still a good show regardless of what some on this forum might say. I do know that F.G. has it's flaws but it's getting to the point where every episode is torn apart because it's either not South Park or the Simpsons. If you dont like F.G.'s humour, DON'T WATCH IT! Specifically, dont spend your entire time pissing and moaning about how it should be taken off air. I hate Star Trek but you dont see me calling for it to be taken off television.

Some shows you love and some shows you hate/loathe. I loathe Lost and I loathe things like Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. But I also understand that there's something that makes people like these shows and even though I hate them... well, I'm understanding.

However, from what I see here, some people hate Family Guy and will insult it's fans just because they dont have an understanding of why people like it. All they see is their opinion and nowone else'. I've done it in the past regarding the Simpsons and King of the Hill but have changed my ways. I understand that they're popular for a reason. Everyone laughed at Simpsons but IMO, it's become a wreck. Nothing is laugh out loud anymore (e.g. the BBQ/Homer joke was pathetic and predictable.)

Once upon a time, Simpsons was unpredictable in it's jokes, funny and very well done. Now it's been cut down by parenting watchdogs and just being on the air for so long that it's hard to keep up with what it once was. However, I believe that it still has a formula that makes people watch it and like it even though I, myself, dont understand it.

Please understand. Please. :)
nice speech. just what i wuz thinking.

:cartmanlaugh:

Anyway, Mondo, I disagree. I still think (and I wonder where I came up with this... :roll: ) that comedy makes a comedic cartoon. If someone's opinion of you is that you're not the funniest cartoon that's trying to be funny out, I don't think that show is their favorite cartoon. SP goes for comedy. It's smart intelligent social commentary, but it is still supposed to be funny just in a more intelligent way. If you think FG is funnier than SP, I would say that you like FG more.

How was the episode last night? I didn't get to see it.
Image
Image
PM me for my AIM SN. Lurkers are a bitch.
aristottlesdeathwish
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Postby aristottlesdeathwish » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Its funny and I really like it, but south park I think has more of a plot. So I prefer it just a little bit more than Family Guy.
"When you do something right, no one knows you have done anything at all"=Futurama
Jello_Biafra
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:16 am

Postby Jello_Biafra » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:46 am

I'm a fan of Family Guy. In fact, for Halloween I'm going as Meg since I look and in a way act like her so much. But recently FG has left a bitter taste in my mouth, which I won't go too much into too much details but this season there was a episode that had a cutaway scene that was "extremely familar" to me, and that's putting it lightly. You just have to remember that FG is a completely differen type of writing style and comedy onto itself. There are shows that are some-what familar (ex. Simpsons, The Critic, etc.). I consider FG just to be a bit more "low brow"to "stoner" humor, while SP is more on satire with a few d*ck and fart jokes in between.
"Six words Lisa, 'I'm not gay, but I'll learn.'" Homer Simpson

"How do you speak my language?" Adam West

"This job would be great if it weren't for the f*cking customers." Randall; Clerks
clydefrogfolife
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:48 am

Postby clydefrogfolife » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:53 am

I like Family guy a lot. It's good to be dumb and substanceless every once in a while. Some of the jokes are great because of their obscurity they have while still registering in your memory database of useless sh*t from way back when.
Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy yay
Gimme the mic so I can take it away.
Off on a natural charge bon voyage
Yeah from the home of the Dodgers Brooklyn squad

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest