The Anime thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Cerisa_Roz

The Anime thread

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:22 pm

During the time I took a breather from South Park, I got back into one of my other interests, which would be cartoons..from Japan. Or "anime" (The term is derived from 'animation', though over here, people use it to only refer to Japanese cartoons. Though in Japan, 'anime' covers all cartoons).

I didn't see any other thread (an active one, at least), so I thought we could have one here.

What are your favorites, and what's your history with it? As in, how long have you been watching, and what was your first show?

I always thought of "Sailor Moon" (which aired on UPN back in '95. ELEVEN years ago?) as my first anime, but recently, I found out that a lot of Nickelodeon's old-school shows like "Noozles" and "Maya The Bee" that I watched as a kid were anime AS WELL :shock: So, even though I didn't know it, I was watching anime since preschool.

But for anime that really had an impact, or 'main' anime? Yeah, Sailor Moon was the first that reeled me in. When it went off the air for a while, I was kinda sad. But it took getting an odd set of Sailor Moon finger puppets for my birthday to peak my curiosity about the show's origin. The set had Uranus and Neptune in it (though I didn't know their names at the time), so it prompted me to search the net for info about the show, and *gasp* it was made in Japan! Even more interesting was that I had only seen a small bit of the show, and that DIC had cut it up a LOT. This was '97. While browsing at the mall, I found a comics/anime stand for "Tate's" (a comic store here in Florida), and found out that they had rentals of the Japanese version at their store. And so began the 'finding out the truth' stage.

Enough of THAT, though. This is my anime experience, not the 'Sailor Moon' one. Around the same time, I watched Cartoon Network and saw 'Speed Racer', though it took me longer to find out that was 'anime' as well. My first 'boys' anime at the time though (also on CN), was a show called 'G-Force', which sadly, I never did see much of in both of its runs on CN (its second and final run was on Toonami's Midnight Run in early 2000).

Fast forward to early 2006. I was interested in checking out a show called 'Gatchaman', only to find out that 'G-Force' was indeed the same thing as it..sort of. In fact, G-Force was the SECOND dub of the show, and another show, 'Battle Of The Planets' was the original dub. This is what got me back into my anime fan-mode, and I've been hunting down what I can of all three versions (unfortunately, G-Force is hardly available on DVD), and other old-school anime series.

I've seen many anime over the years, though that doesn't mean I liked everything I saw. Some like Pokemon, I just tuned out after a while (the fad was irritating too. I did like the original Nintendo games, though), and Yu-Gi-Oh..oy. Super Milk Chan was damn irritating as well.

In my opinion, Japanese animation is no better or worse than our stuff. It's a mixed bag as well. You get the really good stuff, the nice stuff, the mediocre, and the really bad stuff. And sometimes, dubs can make or break a show. 'Nuff said.

This is what I've seen so far..

Pre-school era:
Maya The Bee
Adventures Of The Little Koala ("Roobear!")
Noozles (This was anime TOO?)

There were probably others as well, that I can't remember. A lot of these were dubbed by Saban, as I've found out recently. It seems Saban was quite the prolific company in the '90s (no doubt due to Power Rangers) until they folded in '01-02 and became absorbed into Disney.

Grade School Era:
Sailor Moon (DIC's dub of the original and early 'R')
Speed Racer (a little bit, it's hard to remember the show though)

FUNimation's first dub of DBZ aired during this time, but I don't think I ever saw it then. My memories are of its Toonami run. I saw "Kimba The White Lion" (which, turns out, would be the second dub, not the '66 version) during this time, though the exact year's fuzzy.

I saw a bit of G-Force here as well, though I must have came late to the party on it ('97) as it went off-air. From the info I have now, the show debuted on January '95 on CN and ran in its entirety for the first time. It previously aired on TBS in '86 (from what I know now), but was yanked off after a week for unknown reasons.

Late Grade School/Middle (ie: "Early-to-mid Toonami Era"):
Sailor Moon (the rest of DIC's dub and quite a bit of the 'S/SuperS' dub by Cloverway)
Dragonball Z (can't remember which arc)
Dragonball (2001 dub)
Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam
Tenchi Muyo
G-Force (My first exposure to Gatchaman, you could say. This was its second and final CN run, on the Midnight Run. It only ran for five episodes here :( )
Pokemon (A bit of the original, and some of the 'Orange Islands' filler. I saw a bit of the Johto beginning, and completely dropped off, as I was REALLY sick of the Pokemon fad by then)
Digimon (Original series, 02, and the first few 'Tamers' episodes)
Cardcaptors (saw one episode, couldn't get into it)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (via tapes from Blockbuster)

Later "Toonami" Era/Adult Swim Era:
Dragonball Z (Buu saga, I believe)
Dragonball (more of it)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Ranma 1/2 (through video tapes from Blockbuster)
Yu-Gi-Oh (couldn't get into, really)
Inuyasha
FLCL
Wolf's Rain
Cowboy Bebop
Detective Conan/Case Closed (Damn you Adult Swim for pulling it off!)
Lupin The Third

Basically, this would be '02-'04 or so summed up (can't pinpoint the exact years). This is also when I got my "Sailor Moon Sailor Stars" VHS collection, and I was happy (until someone wrecked my happiness, of course). Sometime later, Toonami went kaput on weekdays, and the anime I did watch was mostly on Adult Swim, though there was some Saturday Toonami stuff as well (and stuff that didn't air on TV)..

One Piece (TRIED to watch an episode of the dub when it premiered. Could hardly get through it)
Tokyo Mew Mew (The "Mew Mew Power" dub was PAINFUL)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Super Milk-chan (God I hated that show :x )
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Dragonball GT (Found it irritating)
Naruto (A little so far)
Bobobo Bobobobo (This show..creeps me out O.o)
Samurai Champloo
Zatch Bell
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Astro Boy ('03 version)
Gigantor
Chobits (via a friend's DVD set)

I have yet to catch Bleach or Adult Swim's latest offerings, though my most recent anime viewing (on TV) was Crayon Shin-Chan's 6 episode test run on AS.

The anime I'm most into now would be Gatchaman/G-Force/Battle Of The Planets, though.

So, what about you guys?
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm not that much into Anime but I've always been a fan of Cowboy Bebop. I saw the movie with my friend about four years ago and it was pretty cool.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:52 pm

:wub: for making this thread on here, Cerisa. 8]

I'd have to say I basically started off watching Anime around the time the Pokemon fad began to grip the world. I had no idea that it was actually anime though, 'cause I had no idea what anime was. I then jumped onto the Digimon fad with a couple other kids in class, and we'd spend all lunch break arguing which was better, Pokemon or Digimon. Around 9-10 years old though, I kind of stopped watching them, and was drew into the Disney fad that was beginning to sweep our school. [Recess, The Weekenders, ect.] But there was one cartoon on Cartoon Network which I just had to watch, no matter what. Dragonball Z. I remember skipping through channels one day, bored as hell, and then I came across Cartoon Network and seen some dude shoot an energy beam or something, and it totally gripped me. I then kept on watching that 'till the end of the Buu saga, whyen GT began airing instead. [By this time I was 12.] I watched the first 5-6 episodes of it and then just stopped watching it. I can't even remember why, all I know is that I just stopped. My brother kept watching it though, and when Dragonball started [I was 13-14 here.] I decided to give it a try. I loved the Dragonball episodes, but with football every other night and well... a 'social' life, [I can't think of any other word to insert there. ¬_¬] I couldn't get into it much. So I generally stopped watching it. Recently though, since about July-August, I've been getting back into them. I started off by watching the 15 episodes of The Boondocks, [Which is drawn Anime style, so it should be included here. ;P] which I loved. Not only for it's writing, characters and casting, but also the way it's drawn and the fact it appeals to me as someone who lives off of urban culture. I also watched FMA, which I think is awesome, and got to around episode 30. I keep on reminding myself to go finish watching them, but I can't be bothered right now. Kaixx reccommended 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya' to me, which I still need to finish off also. [I'm up to episode 10 so far.] I also tried getting into Naruto, but I've only seen about 7-8 episodes so far. Once I've actually finished with FMA & Haruhi I'll continue watching it. The one which totally gripped me recently though was FLCL. It fuxxing rules so much. I've been looking everywhere for the Manga but I just can't seem to find it. D:

I'm also thinking of trying out Eureka 7, which I've seen a couple times on [adult swim]. I'll make sure I'm finished with at least a few other animes though before I start on that.
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:05 pm

I liked DRAGONBALL Z!!!!!!!!!!!!
EPAF

Postby EPAF » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Taranis_Music wrote:I liked DRAGONBALL Z!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI 5 T_M - you're not the only one. :lol:

I remember watching an advert for Dragonball Z before it showed the first ever episode on Cartoon Network and I thought to myself "Hmmmmm, this looks pretty interesting."

And from there, I was totally addicted to it. Watched it right through until the last episode. (which I think got into the 500 mark) And I think I've seen every episode at least 4 times or more. But I've gone off it a little bit since my attention got drawn into South Park since about Season 7.

But still, DBZ is A CLASSIC! :D
crazyQH wrote:Ok EPAF, I'm officially granting you the title of having the best dream ever.
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:16 pm

I started to watch anime when I first watched Pokemon, too, or it was Dragonball Z. I had no idea Dragonball Z was an anime at first, though. XD Dragonball Z was awesome, I've watched every single episode of it. I've never really watched Dragonball, but I've watched Dragonball GT. Never watched any of them in ages. I stopped watching Pokemon when the trend was over, when people stopped collecting the cards, etc.

I got back into anime months and months ago. Where I started to watch them on YouTube and downloaded them. Right now I'm going to be watching/starting to watch:
  • FLCL (Furi Kuri)
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Bleach
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Berserk
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Outlaw Star
  • Blue Submarine No. 6 (If I could ever find it)
  • Love Hina
  • Yu Yu Hakusho
  • Rurouni Kenshin
  • Eureka 7
  • Gundam (that's including the other ones, too)
  • Hellsing
  • One Piece
  • Trigun
  • Evangelion
  • Chrono Crusade
  • Shaman King
  • Chobits
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • And more (I was just listing a few. XP)

I'll be getting some manga, too, if I could ever find them. I've heard Black Cat, etc. is good, so I'll be trying them out. Also, I'll be downloading the anime, and putting them onto a disc. XD
Last edited by Kaixx on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Dang. Forgot "Trigun" on my list. That was pretty wild.

For anime movies, I'm sorry to say I haven't seen all THAT many.

My first few experiences, sadly, were the Pokemon movies. And that damn Digimon one that was three movies cut and merged together (Saban, what were you thinking?)

I've seen:
Mewtwo's Revenge (Pokemon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back)
Revelation Lugia (Pokemon The Movie 2000)
Can't recall the name at the moment (Pokemon 3?)

Akira (The Streamline/Orion Pictures dub)
Digimon The Movie

I've seen a bit of the Cowboy Bebop film, and the three Sailor Moon movies.

Out of the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films, I've seen:
Kiki's Delivery Service
Nausicaa
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke (a small bit)

I need to catch up more on THOSE :) I've seen the Disney dub of Nausicaa, by the way, not "Warriors Of The Wind". That was a late '80s dub of it that I've heard was edited a LOT. So much that the people of Ghibli have begged fans to 'put it out of their minds'. Now that makes me morbidly curious to see it :shock:
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:33 pm

Animes I've watched...

- FLCL's the best, I love that show.
- Fullmetal Alchemist (Very good, saw mostly subs, own first 6 DVDs)
- Paranoia Agent (Haven't gotten back to it)
- Pokemon (1st season only, almost none of the later ones)
- Digimon (1st and second season)
- Dragonball Z (Just here and there, nothing too serious)
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:36 pm

The only anime movie I've watched recently was Princess Mononoke. D; I loved it though, and seriously reccomend it to everyone who hasen't seen it yet.
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:47 pm

So far, I have seen the following anime movies:
-My Friend Totoro
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-Pokemon: the First Movie
-Digimon: The Movie
(I've been anime-movie deprived since seventh grade, BTW.)

I have read the following manga:
-Angel Sanctuary
-Card Captor Sakura
-Digimon (Tokyopop and that other version)

I have seen the following anime shows:
-Monster Rancher
-Pokemon (briefly.. didn't care for it)
-Cardcaptors/Card Captor Sakura
-Escaflowne
-Dragonball Z (briefly... when it was syndicated)
-MegaMan
-Naruto
-Neo Genesis Evangelion
-Mon Colle Knights
-DIGIMON!!! (in middle school, I had a total crush on Angemon... and an even worse one on Vamdemon... ^^;;; )

BUT... I've joined my university's anime club, which provided me with magazines and other anime-related literature. Plus I draw in a modified anime-style... does that count? :P
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:52 pm

I recommend whoever hasn't seen Akira to see it.

Also, has anyone else seen the Dragonball Z movies? They sucked.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:56 pm

My brother downloaded the DBZ movies recently, but I have no idea what happened to them.
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Jay C wrote:My brother downloaded the DBZ movies recently, but I have no idea what happened to them.

The voice acting is bad. They should've did the same voices as in the series. And the fighting isn't as interesting/good.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 pm

Yeah, I have seen Akira. It's been a bit, but I do own it. Oh yeah, I've also read Death Note, FMA and the FLCL mangas. Death Note's awesome, I can't wait for a version of the anime that I can understand.
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:Death Note's awesome, I can't wait for a version of the anime that I can understand.

Yeah, I just found out that Death Note doesn't have any subtitles. There's also going to be a movie about it that isn't an anime. You can see the preview for it here.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”