The Anime thread

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:00 am

cheesypoofs857 wrote:Of course! I knew something was wrong when Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged got taken down! Those bastards!

You sure about that?

Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged

LittleKuriboh's YT page
LittleKuriboh's DM page

A few shorts are indeed gone.

A torrent of the 19 eps made so far. They're in WMV format.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:59 pm

KirstenFromHell wrote:Nana is really good but pretty much nothing like any of the other stuff you've listed. It's probably the closest thing to a true "josei" anime tv series, i.e. a show aimed at twenty-something women. I'll just leave it at that. Obviously it's not for everyone.

If I was to judge Naruto by just the first three episodes, I wouldn't think very much of it either. As it is it's a guilty pleasure. I would recommend watching it on youtube or whatever to the end of the first major story arc (episode 19). If you still aren't feeling it it probably isn't for you.

I know One Piece has a big following, at least the version that wasn't mutilated by 4Kids, but several hundred episodes is a long way to catch up. I've also heard that it's a show that literally takes about 40 episodes to really take off. I may get to it eventually but not anytime soon.

And yeah, Code Geass kicks all sorts of ass, even if it took a little while to warm up and even if it uses every cliche in the book.

Anyway of the stuff I listed, which is just the series I've watched all or most of from the last several years, Welcome to the NHK! is probably my favorite. Just a really awesome dark comedy. Not for everyone though.

Yeah, I've heard it's good, but I never heard about it being aimed at women that age. I'll still try it eventually, though.

Well, I'll probably watch it on TV Links then to see what it's like. It seems like an anime I'll enjoy.

It does take a while for it to actually take off, but I've liked it from the beginning. It's the type of series, to me, that gets better along the way and you can't wait to see what happens. I caught up with all the episodes and it took me a while. But not long ago was when I had never even seen a subbed episode of One Piece. It's on episode 314 right now, and it's like it isn't anywhere near finished. The last episode gave us a lot of f*cking awesome information that I want to know more about, and stuff. XD

Yeah, Code Geass is awesome. Kallen and Zero ftw!

Welcome to the NHK!? I think that's another anime that's based in school, right?

Jay C wrote:I'll give Code Geass a chance, if you think I'll like it so much. :B Not sure about One Piece, though. Maybe in the future, if Naturo begins boring me. Yeah, Hare Nochi Guu is probably my favourite series after FLCL, I just started Deluxe, and am madly in love with it again, 'cause Hare seems back to his normal funny crazy, instead of horribly over-acted crazy. I donno if I asked you to try out FMP, but you should. Yep. XD

Propeller = Channel 195 on Sky. I don't think it shows on Virgin.

Around episodes 5-6 it really begins to pick up. I suggest you watch the other episode to get the gist of it, though. The manga is so much better than the anime, though, so much. Order the first three volumes from Amazon, or something, or look for a Forbidden Planet or World's Apart, or something. XD You won't be disappointed, I swear.

I HAVE a PC at my Mum's, the internet just wasn't working. I live with my Dad now, fool. :P

You better give it a chance. XD I have no idea if you like mecha type anime, though, but it's awesome even without the mecha. And I doubt you'll ever give One Piece a try anyway. XD

Do you think I should download Hare Nochi Guu? How many episodes does it have again? What's Full Metal Panic about, anyway?

I have Sky. ;o Never heard of that channel, though, I'll check it out.

I'll have to get around to reading manga, I've only read a tiny bit of manga before. Haven't really given it a change yet. XD What do you prefer, manga or anime?

Shoosh it. You never told me any of this. >_> XD Since you're never on MSN.

KirstenFromHell wrote:
Jay C wrote:Also if you haven't watched Death Note, you are really missing out. There's about a fifty-percent chance it'll end up on Adult Swim though (in the U.S.).

Yeah. I reckon it'll even end up here in the future, what with the small Anime boom that Bravo + Propeller have been getting their hands on, and the plans of a whole new Anime channel being broadcast here, too, Animax.

You two do know that due to it being liscensed episodes 36 and 37 won't be around for download for long, right?

Sad news to inform all off our watchers for Death Note.

We have just received a C&D(Cease and Desist) from VIZ Media stating for us to stop all distribution of Death Note by 22nd June 2007.
(This letter has also been served to Animanda, c1anime? & Several Death Note fan sites.)

That was taken from A4. There's also another post that has a reply saying a couple of subbers dropped the series.

Go to this site and download episode 36 and 37 (when it comes out on Wednesday) before they're taken off. A friend told me to do this, so I may as well pass it on. XD
cheesypoofs857

Postby cheesypoofs857 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:06 pm

Dammit! They took down the Abridged Movie! And some parts of it are also missing on DailyMotion. Travesty!!

Although I could just download the movie, but I'm too scared my computer will go splody.

In other anime related news, I was watching the AMV Hells. Azumanga Daioh's Nazi-ness makes me want to watch it.
Someone wrote:Lies! None of the guys on here have seen real women!
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:37 pm

I'm just posting in this thread to say that I've recently discovered a great anime streaming site: http://www.crunchyroll.com/

They have just about every series you can think of, in both the subbed and dubbed versions (when applicable). Also, unlike YT or DailyMotion, they're not likely to get flagged and taken down, since anime videos don't exactly violate their TOS after all. I'm currently going back and watching the subbed version of Digimon Adventure. Seeing it the way it was originally done, as well as what got rewritten or outright censored in the dub, makes me feel like smacking Nimoy and Bucholz upside the head. Yeah, I said it.
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:I'm just posting in this thread to say that I've recently discovered a great anime streaming site: http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Yeah, I know that site too.

For another site with quite a lot of anime on it, http://www.tv-links.co.uk/
KirstenFromHell

Postby KirstenFromHell » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:15 am

Kaixx wrote:Yeah, I've heard it's good, but I never heard about it being aimed at women that age. I'll still try it eventually, though.

I don't know that that's NANA's explicit target audience, as I've seen lots of people that don't fit that description who are fans of the show, but just keep in mind that it can be quite bittersweet. Also the first season isn't really the ending and the second half won't be animated for at least a year.

Kaixx wrote:It does take a while for it to actually take off, but I've liked it from the beginning. It's the type of series, to me, that gets better along the way and you can't wait to see what happens. I caught up with all the episodes and it took me a while. But not long ago was when I had never even seen a subbed episode of One Piece. It's on episode 314 right now, and it's like it isn't anywhere near finished. The last episode gave us a lot of f*cking awesome information that I want to know more about, and stuff. XD

Well I'll probably get around to watching One Piece sooner or later.

Kaixx wrote:Welcome to the NHK!? I think that's another anime that's based in school, right?

Not as such, no. It's kind of hard to explain this one. And as far as school goes, two of the three main characters are a college and high school drop-out respectively.

Kaixx wrote:
Sad news to inform all off our watchers for Death Note.

We have just received a C&D(Cease and Desist) from VIZ Media stating for us to stop all distribution of Death Note by 22nd June 2007.
(This letter has also been served to Animanda, c1anime? & Several Death Note fan sites.)

That was taken from A4. There's also another post that has a reply saying a couple of subbers dropped the series.

Go to this site and download episode 36 and 37 (when it comes out on Wednesday) before they're taken off. A friend told me to do this, so I may as well pass it on. XD

I'm fully aware of the Death Note situation. Trust me, it won't be an insurmountable problem by any means. I already have 36 in fact.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:55 pm

I figured I'd bump this, 'cause eh, it was perhaps time for me to vent a bit about anime:

I could live with the DN anime being different from the manga. I could live with the ending being changed.

But what I can't deal with, is them making the summer special into a 3-hour RECAPFEST OF PART 1. As if Madhouse didn't waste enough recap on episode 26. And all it is: Recap of Light and L's "battles", but told from Ryuk's POV, to somehow make it "all new". Except not. On the other hand, there's some all-new scenes in there (mostly Light doing what he does best: Evil laughter, glowing red eyes, and general f***ed-upness :lol: ).

And you heard right, recap of part 1. Light and L. No "part 2", no Mello or Near (and by extension, no Matt :P). That means no DN epilogue for the anime version, no re-added footage that Madhouse cut out of part 2, no possible original material for part 2, etc.

Maybe part 1 is more popular than 2 and all, but really, I think it's unfair. It sounds to me like pandering to all the "PART 2 IS INHERENTLY THE SUCK BECAUSE M AND N AREN'T L OMG L L L I LOVE L I WONDER HOW HIM AND LIGHT LOOK NAKED TOGETHER" extremists. But I'm just being ranty.

Part 1 of DN was part 1, and doesn't need any further recapping and rehashing, IMO. Why not do an adaptation of "Another Note" or something, something NEW? I mean, only the new-to-the-anime (but never in the manga) scenes and the Ryuk POV is all it's got going for it.

The DN anime ended at episode 37 for me (though quality-wise, somewhere at the anime adaptation of "LADIES NIGHT"). Even though I can accept the anime being its own entity, this is my view:
Death Note manga > anime. The only advantages the anime had over the manga were cutting down the Yotsuba arc (and they STILL slow-paced it), that Light/L filler fanservice in 25 for the fangirls, it being in color and animated with voices, and cutting down Light's super-long "I AM RIGHT AND JUSTICE" rant (long rant is looooooooooooong) and some over-expository and drawn-out stuff toward the end.

Madhouse's staff clearly had favoritism in mind, IMO, when doing the series. 37 episodes wasn't really enough to tell the story in, and then when they got to "Part 2", it became rush-city. I mean, NINE CHAPTERS for 29, gah.

More episodes COULD'VE told more of the story (I'd say 40-45, possibly), but Madhouse would've likely wasted that on making the Yotsuba arc longer for more Light and L 'goodness' (Yotsuba arc=bleh) or the worst types of filler.

The worst type of rabid fangirls soured me on L. The anime, combined with them, made me more irritated and shift even more towards Mello and Near XD And those two characters are pretty much shafted in the anime. *I don't completely hate L, don't get me wrong, but I like him a lot less now*

But then, I'm used to being a fan of characters that pretty much get the shaft (in SP, there's Tweek and Wendy for two examples)

The only 'new' thing of DN I await now is the dub, which many people are already dreading based off of some early preliminary trailer Viz did (which wasn't even with the final voices, just a 'quickie' thrown-together thing). The voice work is being done by Ocean Studios, which has been used for a few other Viz dubs, Ranma being one of them. Plus, the special edition DVDs come with figurines.

I've been trying to find new (like, NEW 'new'. "Monster" and "Gravitation" are old news by now) anime series to get into. And I'm trying desperately to put together a costume for Supercon in late November-early December. Yes, I go to those "wastes of time and money" known as anime cons, which are frequented by "whales with no life". They aren't all THAT bad. I seriously need a new wig if I'm going to cosplay Mello though, as I kind of screwed over the one I had. And that black vest (brown in the anime, but then, they changed his frickin' rosary crucifix to a red stick which may or may not be a kubotan) looks to be the toughest part of the 'adult Mello' costume.

Near would be much easier, aside from that white wig.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:42 pm

Hmm, it's been a while since I've posted in this topic. Since then I've watched through a couple more series.

Elfenlied - Great series, very dark and disturbing, explores the depths of human cruelty and the limits of human compassion. Even though Lucy is a cold-blooded killer, you can't help but feel sorry for her and the way she was tortured. Also, Kouta is either the most understanding person on earth, or the world's biggest pushover/doormat. :P Still, I can't help but cynically think that most fans are just attracted to it because they're thinking, "Heh, heh, boobies and graphic violence."

Death Note - Cerisa finally got me into this, and I watched through it last week. It's one of those anime that focuses more on plot, character development, storytelling, and psychological drama, rather than relying on action scenes or flashy special effects. It raises a number of ethical issues and makes you think about them, and there is subtle religious symbolism placed throughout that isn't too hard to spot. There are also a few parts that are unintentionally funny (and I kept thinking that the killing sprees would make a great Benny Hill montage). My only complaint is that the second arc was rushed and left out some content.

As usual, I'm still following Naruto Shippuden as the new episodes come out. Episode 26, the huge-ass fight where Sakura and Chiyo take on Sasori, does not disappoint. Previously large fights suffered from poor animation (aka "QUALITY") where shading and proportions were sloppily ignored, but 26 was an exception. And Sakura finally gets to kick some serious ass, after being shelved for almost the entirety of the original Naruto series. :D
Guess_Who_I_Am_Not

Postby Guess_Who_I_Am_Not » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:09 pm

I've started watching DN lately too, thanks to Cerisa. ^^ It's a really good show. I didn't think I'd like it until I started watching it, but I was pleasantly surprised. :)

Best character, by the way, is definitely and without a doubt Mikami. XD

"Delete...delete...delete..."
albino.black.sheep wrote:My cat ran away with an extra strong mint on his head.

xx_emuteeth_xx wrote:shut up douche im not retaded
cheesypoofs857

Postby cheesypoofs857 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:23 am

I've just seen Grave of the Fireflies. It may not have gotten my depressed and all, but GODDAMN!! :o
Someone wrote:Lies! None of the guys on here have seen real women!
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Well, you know that live-action DBZ adaptation that got canned? It's ON again. And will be filming in Montreal, apparently.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=5d8321ec-4d55-40bd-ae6c-742949303ea9

I...don't know how to react :lol:

There's going to be a Voltron live-action film, but from the little that's known of it, they've pretty much thrown out the original story and character personalities for a more 'Western' (even more than the heavily-edited dub) and 'modern' disaster/sci-fi approach.

So I wonder how DBZ will fare, heh. Truthfully, I'd like to see the original "Dragonball" done. It COULD be possible, just rather campy. But then, I'm of the opinion that DB > DBZ (Dragonball also has Lunch, whom Toriyama forgot existed when he did the part of the manga that'd be known as 'DBZ' for the anime).

I'd like to see the "Death Note" movies done here, but better, heh (I know, a dream, right?). There was potential there in the films, but the acting, some of the plot changes, and CGI just clashed with the 'serious'/suspense type of approach they wanted to use. L looked awesome, though.

WB (who did the two original DN films and the upcoming "L" prequel)will probably stick with the two-movie format, though. Just a feeling I get. It'll inevitably be Americanized, and "Part 2" of the manga would have to be rewritten to an extent, as the characters go to America in it, and there's a sort of "America vs. Japan" going on. So just as in the Japanese films, I could see Pt.2 being left out for the story to be "done in two".

The L prequel's plot is unknown, other than that it WON'T be "Another Note" adapted (No Beyond Birthday/B). It's an 'all-new' story about L's past, and a mysterious young genius girl named "Maki" is the co-starring character (so instead of M and N, we get her?). Already people are yelling "EWW MARY SUE", and I can sort of see why *imagines L/Maki fics being written, which of course won't compare to the flood of Light/L fics*. The movie's supposed to reveal L's biggest secret. And that makes me think "Agh, what if they pull a 'plot twist' and Maki winds up being his daughter or related to him somehow?".

I really need a new anime to get into ;^_^

For those interested in the DN special, the only new original material is:
-Ryuk in the Shinigami realm, talking to some other Shinigami. He then tells him the story of Light and L, and thus the recap is framed as a flashback.

-Light and L go to the movies.

-After "LADIES NIGHT", Light goes nuts in a graveyard, laughing evilly and being all 'Kira' and stuff (and looks like he's humping a grave).

-A somewhat altered death sequence for the remaining Yotsuba members.

-Ryuk then says how Light wasn't a god. The other Shinigami is seen going towards the portal, apparently ready to drop THEIR Death Note down to the human world.

Now, I can sort of understand why "Part 2" wouldn't be included, as Ryuk didn't play such a big part there. But still, Ryuk wasn't around for the Yotsuba arc for the most part, and THAT'S in there. And you'd think they would've put the big showdown in, at least. But nah.

So, my opinion?: Waste of time. If you want to see it, by all means, do so. But I think it's nothing special. It's basically part 1 rehashed YET again, just with a little more "Light/L action", which really isn't significant or does much to add to the plot anyway. Yeah, maybe I'm self-centered for not thinking of the Light and L fans out there who wanted this, but eh. "Part 1" fans have gotten plenty of bones thrown to them, "Part 2" fans zilch.

What I was hoping to see back when I was thinking of how Madhouse could fit the story in 37 episodes: They'd cut off "Part 2" at a certain point at episode 37 (perhaps before chapter 98 or so?) and then do the rest as a movie/special. Once 29 came though, and I saw how rushed through they did it, that hope began to die out.
Kaixx

Postby Kaixx » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Death Note disappointed me at some bits, but overall it was a great series.

Elfen Lied was awesome, too.
Edduyasha

Postby Edduyasha » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Wow...necro'd thread.

Anyways, here's my humble two cents on anime.

I don't watch anime...the stuff that airs around where I live is annoying as f*ck...so yeah. Most of it just seems so cliche- all action, no inner story/character development, full of mecha or ninja based stuff, or the run-of-the-mill vampire/"Gothic"/werewolf/fantasy/same old, same old stuff. I used to watch "InuYasha" (hence the InuYasha derivative of my username- I did that back in my weeaboo days in middle school) and a little bit of "Trigun". I honestly tried watching the beginning of "Naruto" when it first came out, but I ended up hating it with a passion (to this very day).

What I'm really looking for is something not so darn overrated but it deals with soap-opera-like stuff. I'm into real-life situations and original characters and storylines, but appearently, that kind of stuff isn't big in the US. They have some historical Chinese drama anime on Canadian Chinese TV, but I keep forgetting when the heck it comes on... I've seen it, though, and it looks really good... Point being...please don't try forcing Death Note on me, I already tried watching that, and it ain't my cup of tea...

As for anime I watch on a regular basis now, the only one I watch is in Cantonese on Canadian Chinese TV. It's a really cute anime called "The Fortune Dogs", and from what I've seen, it's almost soap-opera-like, but the main characters are cute little talking dogs...but it's really obscure, so I dunno if anyone here knows about what I'm rambling about here...

:oops:
Goodbye, cruel world...
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye...

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind...
Goodbye...

- Pink Floyd (The Wall, 1979)
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:11 pm

Four words.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan

I recently got into this [Thanks to /a/], and I'm so glad I did. It's made by GAINAX, the same studio that done FLCL + Evangelion, and as I was expecting, everything is just fantastic. The goofy animation style GAINAX have perfected is as amazing as ever, the characters are well-written [Kamina is probably the most GAR character in the history of ever], and the action blows me away every time. Each episode has been better than last [I'm up to #14 now], and when this comes out on DVD, I'm gonna buy it and watch it over and over and over again because it's that good. Better than FLCL? You bet your f*cking ass it is.

http://home.fuse.net/non/Mecha/GL1.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/non/Mecha/GL2.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/non/Mecha/GL3.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/non/Mecha/GL4.jpg

Still don't believe in this show? Believe in me, who believes in this show!

=====

Also; I've been keeping up with Naruto too [Manga], and am eagerly awaiting the big fight between Sasuke + Itachi, simply in hope that Itachi whoops Sasuke's smug ass really bad. Hidan was probably the best villain of the series so far, simply for his 'I don't care what happens, I can't die!' attitude in fights, and his awesome use of vocabulary. :P I also got down to watching #26 in Shippuuden, and am happy with how it turned out. God, I LOVE Naruto when they animate in that style. Of course, it would have been better if we had seen more clearly visable taijutsu, instead of puppets just darting across the screen at times, but Sakura's finishing punch to Sasori more than made up for all of the QUALITY that I've been seeing in previous episodes. I'd like to see how they animate Team 7's run in with Sasuke, hopefully in the similar animation style they used for #26. If so, then yay!
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:37 am

[quote="Cerisa_Roz":90e29]-After "LADIES NIGHT", Light goes nuts in a graveyard, laughing evilly and being all 'Kira' and stuff (and looks like he's humping a grave).[/quote:90e29]
Is that like the "KENNEDIES" incident in South Park? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”