do south park fans read?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:00 pm

I read books in clumps. First, I'll find a really good book and read it in like a day or so. Then I'll get nervous becasue I don't have another book to read, like I was doing non-stop for the previous book, and find a really big one and tackle it. Then I'll stumble on one that is lame and stop for a while. My favorite book(s) has to be the Lord of the Rings. It was just written so beautifully! The author did a very good job of describing landscapes and conveyed what the characters were feeling so well! I was in awe! It was a million times better than the movies!
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:29 pm

Olivia42 wrote: This seems to be true for several classic novels. They're only thought of as intellectually stimulating because they're old, and they lasted so long because the public loved them. Once you get past the language and culture, they're no more difficult than any of today's pop authors.

^_^ Yeop. Dickens was considered a a "pulp" writer in his time and is now regarded as high class lit.

More books I liked...

The Adventures of Pinocchio (Le Avventure di Pinocchio) by Carlo Collodi is the original Pinocchio story and scared the shitza out of me when I read it in fifth grade. It is MUCH darker than any version made into movie or retold. I remember reading Cujo by Steven King right afterwards and thinking "This is scary?!? Ha!"

Pinocchio is sort of- I dunno? You know how as a kid you have no control at all over your destiny and it's kind of scary? Pinocchio sort of magnifies that fear.

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle is friggen awesome in every way. The English is a little old-school but easy enough to get used to.

These along with Marquez are probably my favorite books of all time- and they're for kids so go figgure.

Also- probably another inspiration for SP was Lord of the Flies.
Last edited by Rebecca_Cutswald on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle Loves Me// Albino.black.sheep is my accountabilabuddy! *tackle hugs*
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Shakespeare is awesome. I used to read him all the time in middle and high school.

And to add to the conversation of "old" authors-- Shakespeare was a dirty, dirty man. XD Just read some of his works, particularly Romeo and Juliet. They're peppered with sex jokes. XD

One thing all of you college students out there probably know-- you get almost no time to read for fun, which is a shame because I brought several good books that I hadn't read during the summer to peruse this year, but I never got the chance to do so yet. I'm hoping to finish Pride and Prejudice over Christmas break, but the thing is Jane Austen novels are just so similar... nothing but a bunch of high-class ladies gossiping. XD Sense and Sensibility was pretty bad. I chose to read it for a book report my sophomore year of high school... yeah, didn't care for it.

But it's not a total loss-- my English course this semester actually had so many good books that I'm thinking of keeping and looking into more. Besides Great Expectations which was obviously my favorite book this semester, I also enjoyed the works of Eavan Boland and Edwidge Danticat and am definitely keeping those copies.

Geez. I really want to read the old literature now and can't wait to do it when I go home tomorrow. :)
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:06 pm

I know I'm in university now and I should "know better" but I don't care, I'm gonna type this anyway:

I STILL LOVE MY ROALD DAHL AND DICK KING-SMITH BOOKS!!

What can I say? I love kids' books! :D
Email notifications do matter, people.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:40 pm

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:
anyone who thinks i've gotten "pwned" is seriously delusional...

Do you read real literature Mr. “I’m-too-good-for-capitalization-and-punctuation”? How about Pyle? Tennyson? Know who Lord Acton is? How about Tacitus? Heroditus? Gibbon? Thucydides? Yeats? Anything worthwhile at all?

Maybe some more popular names? Bradbury? Kirsch? Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Vonnegut? (I’m just reading off my book shelf right now. ^.^) Charles Fort?

NO?! Oh let me guess... Steven King? (Yawwwwn) Piers Anthony? (Puke) Ann Rice? (Double puke out every orifice) Auel (hey she has hot sex scenes and a little anthropology I’ll give you that...) Marion Zimmer Bradley? Alice Sebold?

If you’re such a history buff, have you read anything other than this guy? You don’t seem interested in anything else that anyone else has read. According to you- we’re only worth your snot if we’ve read this crappy old fart.

You probably only know who the assh*le ThOmas PrickNipple is because he promoted himself on *le gasp* the Simpsons. Ooooh! You take your reading advice from network television. Bravo Mr. Aristocrat.

Once again; go back to your “Lovely Bones”and “Ayn Rand” pseudo-intellectual novel. I’m sure it’s the only source of pride you have or ever will have.

FYI: I’m not claiming to be an “intellectual” but I am moderately well-read and take offense at the implication that “pynchon” is the only man worth reading. Furthermore, I happen to think Gibbons is the most important writer anyone should be reading in this generation, but I don’t go around insulting people. I mean- sheash- Athena never bashed you because you haven’t read Dickens.

I really hope you were being ironic in this entire post, Rebecca, because otherwise you became the very thing you were arguing against.

I'm currently reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky as well as Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. I can't believe Ivan Karamazov thought he could out-flank the NATO alliance!

But seriously, I can't stand reading these books by writers who got paid by the word (Dostoyevsky, Dickens, etc). Dostoyevsky needed a f*cking editor. The man wrote ten words for every one word of actual content pushing the story forward.

"I do feel great, brother, I do!" Dmitry said. "I haven't felt this great since I felt great before, and that wasn't so long as to be a distant time ago but certainly it was a long moon* since the last fine palpitation of my feeling, eh? Oh, no no no! My feelings are flying, brother! My feelings for Grunsnengka Vlostikariikov Mensinovsky are running high, high, high, brother! Never before have I felt like I feel at this fine, great moment!"

Or as Chuck Plahniuk would have written it:

"Dmitry felt good. Manic."

Anyway, it's an otherwise enjoyable book. Just taking way too long to progress. I sometimes wish when they translated literature they would translate the names of the characters as well. They can be such a stumbling block for idiot minds like mine.

The Clancy is good. Nice, short sentences. Moves the story along. Not much depth, but while traversing the Dostoyevsky Ocean it is best to bring along a life raft -- otherwise you're liable to go mad and tear out your eyes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:00 am

Meh- you'll have to solve it for yourself.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:05 am

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:Meh- you'll have to solve it for yourself.

Ah, the final clue was the word "meh," which is about as annoying and pretentious a word there is on this here Internets.

Meh is the new sigh.

So thank you for the indirect, obnoxiously peripheral response to my observation, Rebecca Cuntswald.

Rebecca_Cutswald

Postby Rebecca_Cutswald » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:26 am

Aym_Dand wrote:Rebecca pussycatswald.

:roll: Suck it bitch. Seriously- and while you're at it- read my f*cking Dickens.

who gives a rats ass about my character- cept a stalker? You want to suck my man balls?

I replied to that guy with a dose of his own medicine because he started the post. Did I start the thread? f*ck no. I didn't come into this forum all high n' mighty. Though I am the best thing since sliced cheese and the only worthwhile human being on the planet- duh- I'm on my rag and I wanted to tear that guy a new assh*le. And dude... I totally pwnt him at his own game. It was like-probably what sex is like.

So I did- and I had fun doing it. There's little more to it than that cept maybe I'm a pretentious cunt. Who gives a rats' ass? You think I do? Seriously. I f*cking love my rag.

Anyway- on topic- anyone read the masterwork of literature
"My Body and Me"? I haven't yet- but it's all about girls and their rags and babies and masturbating and sh*t and how 90% of flame wars are composed of slightly intoxicated women on their rags. Sounds cool to me.
aristottlesdeathwish

Postby aristottlesdeathwish » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:56 pm

Ok,Im going to make it all even so everyone can shut up, Pynchon sucks, Stephen King Sucks, Gibbons suck, j.R tolkien sucks, all writers suck! Now stop arguing about whos better...because Im the greatest writer in the world jk :)
"When you do something right, no one knows you have done anything at all"=Futurama
Killahertz9

Postby Killahertz9 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:11 pm

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:
Aym_Dand wrote:Rebecca pussycatswald.

:roll: Suck it bitch. Seriously- and while you're at it- read my f*cking Dickens.

who gives a rats ass about my character- cept a stalker? You want to suck my man balls?

I replied to that guy with a dose of his own medicine because he started the post. Did I start the thread? f*ck no. I didn't come into this forum all high n' mighty. Though I am the best thing since sliced cheese and the only worthwhile human being on the planet- duh- I'm on my rag and I wanted to tear that guy a new assh*le. And dude... I totally pwnt him at his own game. It was like-probably what sex is like.

So I did- and I had fun doing it. There's little more to it than that cept maybe I'm a pretentious cunt. Who gives a rats' ass? You think I do? Seriously. I f*cking love my rag.

Anyway- on topic- anyone read the masterwork of literature
"My Body and Me"? I haven't yet- but it's all about girls and their rags and babies and masturbating and sh*t and how 90% of flame wars are composed of slightly intoxicated women on their rags. Sounds cool to me.

Take two and call me in the morning...
Elrog

Postby Elrog » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:05 pm

I personally don't care how important the book I am reading is I read the harpist in the wind I like those but most people think their really bad I like the Northern Lights Series but most peple think those are childish. Some books I like were mentioned her when I was younger I loved Huck Finn I still reread Shakespear over and over and I had to read Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire for school and I liked it. Dude almost everyone reads and I don't care if its supposed to be amazing I will still look forward to Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows coming out.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:29 am

Pynchon is a good enough writer to be sure, though I wouldn't exactly put him near the top of the list of the best writers of all time. Generally, I stick to novels that have stood the test of time.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:48 pm

Christopher Moore's new book came out this week. I'm disappointed to find it's another vampire love story. Don't get me wrong, that particular series is still funny, but the jokes are almost entirely sexually based, and the book itself is a bit too gothic, even if it is in parody.
Aym_Dand

Postby Aym_Dand » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 pm

I am currently reading four books:

Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi (it's a book about warrior strategy by probably the greatest swordsman of all time -- ironic because I've never even been in a fistfight)

Feeling Well, by Dr. David Burns (a book about countering depression and anxiety, because I'm f*cking crazy)

Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell (a book about the decisions we make without even consciously thinking about them, like when we like someone we just met, even though we barely know anything about them yet)

The Clown, by Heinrich Boll (a german novel about, you guessed it, a depressed clown. reminds me a lot of something like the german Catcher in the Rye. Darkly funny. Girl who lent it to me said I remind her of the titular character)

But here's something I think we can all agree is a great read:

my new website!

(just kidding, it sucks. unless you're one of the two people who likes my writing)

wtrussell

do south park fans read?

Postby wtrussell » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:14 am

Not really.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”