how is the world going to end?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:56 am

Rebecca_Cutswald wrote:Quarks? Aren't quarks justa hypothetical sub-automoic particle? They've been around forever. How are they going to change to hurt us?

Zomg... my quarks are acting up. *itches*

Here's what Exit Mundi says about a certain type of quarks (sorry for the length):

Exit Mundi wrote:This time, the trouble didn't come from some colossal piece of rock slamming into our planet, or from some divinity deciding to end our world. No, the danger was so small we didn't even see it coming. We're talking quarks here: the tiny building blocks that make up protons and neutrons.

Quarks come in different `flavors'. There's `up' quarks, and `down' quarks, and `strange' quarks. The nuclei of atoms are made of just the right mix of just the right quarks. Matter ultimately is made of `up' and `down' quarks.

But other mixtures are possible too. In the first moments after the Big Bang, there also was stuff made of `up', `down' and `strange' quarks. It was a completely different kind of stuff than what we're used to. Appropriately, scientists call it strange matter.

But as the universe expanded, strange matter vanished -- although some chunks of strange matter (called `S-curves') may still be out there somewhere. One thing's for sure, though: no human has ever actually spotted a single speck of strange matter.

Oh, but that can change. In recent years, quantum physicists have tried hard to imitate the earliest moments of the Universe. That sounds more difficult than it is: the only thing you have to do, basically, is to slam two particles at tremendous speed head-on into each other. And that's exactly what they do at huge particle accelerators such as those at CERN in Geneva or the `Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider' (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York.

You already feel what showed up this morning. Strange matter, my friend. LOTS of it.

In a particle accelerator experiment, a tiny bit of strange matter suddenly popped into existence. Against all expectation, it had a negative charge. The next moment, it engaged into a chain reaction theoretical physicists call `Ice-9 Type Transition'.

Sure, the lump of strange matter that showed up was incredibly small. But that changed within moments, as the `strangelet' began gobbling up all positively charged atomic nuclei it encountered, forming more strange matter. The blob grew and grew, eating the accelerator, the building around it, and the town around the building. It turned everything it encountered into more atom-eating strange matter. It was ice-9 at its best. Within seconds, our entire planet including everything on it became a strange matter planet.

Does that, er... matter? Oh man, you just don't wanna know. All conventional atoms ceased to exist this morning. And in case you forgot, everything we know of, including us, is made of atoms. What's worse, strange matter particles are equally charged, making them want to go away from each other as far as possible, like the equally charged sides of a magnet. Simply put, all matter on the planet has fallen apart this morning. The world went boom, or whatever the sound was.

Well alright, I'll admit it. Of course, nothing really happened today. I wouldn't be writing this if it had. But could it happen tomorrow? Or next week, next year?

Here's some reassurance: strange matter is so unstable, it simply wouldn't have time to consume nearby atoms. What's more, strange matter probably has a positive charge. And positively charged strangelets aren't very dangerous. They would have an appetite for electrons, sure, but this wouldn't bring about a chain reaction. The strangelet would simply snatch away a few electrons from surrounding atoms, and that would be it.

You read it! You can't unread it!
SouthParkMaster66

Postby SouthParkMaster66 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:13 pm

The end of the world is going to be caused by war and religion, that's what's causing the world to go to hell now.

I hate to say it but we're all better off without religion, look around you! People pray to some kind of god for everything now, and the world's getting worse, not better. It's not all religions though, it's the common ones, the really small, unkown ones aren't causing any problems...yet.
This is a misfits rejection of a life in submission
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:40 pm

SouthParkMaster66 wrote:The end of the world is going to be caused by war and religion, that's what's causing the world to go to hell now.

I hate to say it but we're all better off without religion, look around you! People pray to some kind of god for everything now, and the world's getting worse, not better. It's not all religions though, it's the common ones, the really small, unkown ones aren't causing any problems...yet.

Yes just like the french revolution, oh, wait that was done in the name of atheism! Well not all of it, but the point is people will always find reasons to kill each other, and religon has most likely prevented more conflict than it caused.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Religion will never end the world as we know it; there's enough rational religious people out there to keep the nut jobs in religions from dragging us over the edge. In fact there's probably a better chance of the world as we know it ending religion.

Interestingly, nothing would please many religious types more than the end of the world.

butters_stoch

Postby butters_stoch » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:14 am

southparkmaster66, i tottaly agree with u because if the world is already f'd in the a at eachother then think about how much people will be pissed off with eachother in 10000 years religion is mostly the cause of this tragedy because 1 day som guy came up to another guy and said "hey isn't christ wonderful" then the other guy said "well i don't really believe in god" then the other says "what'd u say?'' then it all broke out... :x
For a good time, call someone who cares
hainted

Postby hainted » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:49 am

SouthParkMaster66 wrote:The end of the world is going to be caused by war and religion, that's what's causing the world to go to hell now.

Let's see,the elites in both parties who run the country however they want and there's not a damn thing any of us can do or say about it but to vote for one of the two parties who are so alike it is scary and who do almost all of the exact same things.It's hard to distinguish them from eachother to the point where it is pretty much impossible to identify which is the more evil or the lesser evil. But what you can clearly see and identify is how they both seem to be aiming towards the same specific goals.A new secular world order.Don't believe me,take out a dollar bill and look at it and read it on there,lol.{note,I gave a reference here,lol}

They do whatever the hell they want whether it's war or artifical peace.

And society getting worse might have something to do with the retarded liberal popular culture and it's message of "do whatever feels good,consume consume consume..."

And people might be dumb because they were educated by liberals.Bush included,lol.

You say "we're all better off without religion" but I say "i'm better off without all of you."

Now who wants freedom and independence and who wants to force everybody to accept their way?
Lord Dunderhead

Postby Lord Dunderhead » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:14 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Religion will never end the world as we know it; there's enough rational religious people out there to keep the nut jobs in religions from dragging us over the edge. In fact there's probably a better chance of the world as we know it ending religion.

Interestingly, nothing would please many religious types more than the end of the world.

Well I wouldn't say that... Islam wouldn't be giving us such trouble if the above where all true. I don't know if religion would ever end the world, but to my understanding Islam right now is under the control of a ruling sect that more or less whats the whole world to convert... even if it's by force. The rest of the sects seem to just be following, I don't know whether by fear, belief or what, but they have pretty much done nothing or if they have done anything they have failed to stop this sect of total extremist from taking control. The time where the Nut jobs take power may indeed be playing out before us ladies and gentlemen.
Jack your stepping on a land mine...
So?
Just checking.
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:09 am

A meteor hits the earth? An Ice age frezes the earth? The big volcano underneath Yellowstone park erupts? An Alien invasion? Crab People take over the world?
lil kenny

Postby lil kenny » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:02 pm

I thought this was going to be a funny post on how people would die, but it seems that its turnt to a religon debate.

The true way that the world will end is by ourselves, not religon, not nuclear war, not global warming. It's because of our actions that the world will end, and you can't blame it on anything than ourselves.
DemonicStanley wrote:wendy likes black mans cock now..
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Lord Dunderhead wrote:Well I wouldn't say that... Islam wouldn't be giving us such trouble if the above where all true.

Whatever problems Islam is causing the world hardly qualifies as an 'end of world' scenario. Nothing their extremists can do will kill off humanity. We're talking about the extinction of our species, not some ideological squabblings that get a few thousand people killed.

I believe the United States is the only entity with the technical means to wipe humanity off the map.

butters_stoch

Postby butters_stoch » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 pm

southparkmaster66 ur so :arrow: ya people pray to gods and say well my life is gonna be better if this god is happy that i prayed to him but if there was a god then why doesnt he get off his ass and do somthing about it. hes just watching us kill and murdur eachother like its some little game, were just polly pockets in his game of dress up :cry:
For a good time, call someone who cares
Sizzling Lynn

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm bettin on technology. Within 300 years, all the high-tech things of the world will turn their backs on humanity and try to destroy each and every living thing on the planet.
cyoung

Postby cyoung » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:46 pm

With my luck, seconds before I find out the Meaning of life
xNiBBEx

Postby xNiBBEx » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:46 pm

Only professor Chaos knows.
I felt to get a signature, now I have one.
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:48 am

Not sure how it will end, but here is a good picture of the end:

It's the end of the world as we know it.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”