What are your favorite cartoons from the 1980s?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 am

During the mid-80s, they had the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera, a block of newer series. Out of those, only two of them I found watchable.

The slight return of Jonny Quest was good. I liked the original series from the '60s, and this '80s resurrection was nearly just as good.

The other was Yogi's Treasure Hunt, mainly because of all the guest appearances of other classic HB characters, and maybe a few forgotten ones.
butters_stoch

Postby butters_stoch » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:24 pm

the brak show presents the brak starring brak

stupid, huh?
For a good time, call someone who cares
pull my thumb

Postby pull my thumb » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Ducktales is the f*cking bomb! If that show were ever to be remade, you would need some serious fans to pitch in to help out.

Otherwise, the only other show I have watched not as much as Ducktales was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I barely remember watching it, but my older brother was a nut about the show.
Cerisa_Roz

Postby Cerisa_Roz » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:52 am

Some '80s stuff I recall *through syndication and reruns. I was born in '88, so I didn't get to live through the '80s like some*. Not all are favorites, per se, but basically stuff I can recall:

The Real Ghostbusters (saw a bit of Extreme as well when that came on UPN. I don't think I ever saw Filmation's Ghostbusters series, though. What an opening theme THAT one has, though :lol:. Who else remembers Hi-C Ecto Cooler? )

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I had cereal bowls of Donatello and Raphael back in the day.)

G-Force (aka '80s dub of "Gatchaman", aired on Cartoon Network for a while)

I watched some of Rainbow Brite, I'll have to admit (a now ex-friend *since sometime in the '00s* who HATED all '80s cartoons because "ALL of them" were "babyish" really bitched me out for that)

Garfield And Friends

David The Gnome

Noozles (that was anime!?)

Adventures Of The Little Koala (ditto on this)

Maya The Bee (and this too)

Muppet Babies. Yeah, I saw it too!

Inspector Gadget, via Nickelodeon when they used to play it.

Heathcliff. I'm guessing it'd be the "Catillac Cats" one, as Marmaduke *ugh* definitely was not in it!

I saw plenty of other '80s stuff that was mentioned(Shirt Tales, Pound Puppies, etc. Basically a bunch of Hanna-Barbera stuff) thanks to Cartoon Network. Back when they were a mixture of old and new stuff. Nowadays you have Boomerang for that...sort of. When they're not stuffing the channel with friggin' Pokemon (which CN is also doing itself. Put Pokemon back on Kids' WB, or CW, whatever, dammit!).

Darkwing Duck and Gummi Bears are two Disney shows I recall.

I'd say ONE of the worst '80s-era toons I've seen so far, IMO, was that damn Zelda one. "Well, EXCUUUUUUSE me, princess!". Yeah, now you know why Link doesn't talk in the games. I know some guys who like Voltron simply for the giant robot factor (some watch it for the camp and bad dub-factor too), though I couldn't get through the first few episodes.

The same guys obsessed with Voltron have mocked me and bitched me out for liking G-Force (because it's "too old" and too old=complete crap unless it has giant robots or chicks with huge tits to some people. And then one said it sucked because it was "just violent". Yeah, you say that while you watch Gantz and Ninja Scroll, and have a lot more 'bloody' anime in your bedroom. And what about Elfen Lied? Please, by today's standards, the 'violent' anime of the '70s is much tamer. Likewise, a friend's sister ridiculed me for watching a show that was "too old" and didn't bother to watch much of it. I digress, though) and for thinking the Zelda toon was lame. Well, gee, sorry about THAT.
The Valentine Bros.

!980's toon!

Postby The Valentine Bros. » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:04 am

2 of my favorite 1980's shows are Garfield & Friends & The Simpsons! :D
Cartman respects the Cheese's Autoritah! http://content.ytmnd.com/content/b/4/5/ ... ad8844.wav
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:14 am

Inspector Gadget was awesome! TMNT kicked ass too. Hey, I know it's not a cartoon, but what about Pee Wee's Playhouse? It was practially a cartoon...
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
Clyde Donovan

80 toons

Postby Clyde Donovan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:32 pm

I liked COPS! IT's Crime Fighting Time.
M.A.S.K was cool too. Oh and Robotech. Well I didn't really like season 2 of it BUt 1 and 3 was pretty good.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:58 pm

ugogo_uswimswim wrote:Hey, I know it's not a cartoon, but what about Pee Wee's Playhouse? It was practially a cartoon...

Yeah, I'd count that, too, now that you mentioned it. They showed clay animation as well as those ones from the '20s and '30s whenever the King of Cartoons showed up, so I guess that counts. Good catch!
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Is no one going to mention Dungeons&Dragons? I lived for another episode of it.

Sorry to necromance this thread, but I just couldn't let it rest. Dungeons&Dragons is cool.
This is not a sig.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”