Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:24 am

Avast me hearties! Talk Like a Pirate day Sept 19! Yrrrr.
http://www.talklikeapirateday.com/wordpress/

The Senator suing God story is a good 'un... Only in America, eh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=481651&in_page_id=1770
Czech speedway rider knocked out in crash wakes up speaking perfect English
When Matej Kus's teammates heard him talking after he was knocked out in a speedway accident, they were relieved he was conscious.

But they were also a little surprised.

For although the 18-year- old Czech knew only the most basic English phrases, he was conversing fluently in the language with paramedics.

This is so much worser ... than lots of things... ever
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN149975820070917
"Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife
CARACAS (Reuters) - A Venezuelan man who had been declared dead woke up in the morgue in excruciating pain after medical examiners began their autopsy.

Carlos Camejo, 33, was declared dead after a highway accident and taken to the morgue, where examiners began an autopsy only to realize something was amiss when he started bleeding. They quickly sought to stitch up the incision on his face.

"I woke up because the pain was unbearable," Camejo said, according to a report on Friday in leading local newspaper El Universal.

His grieving wife turned up at the morgue to identify her husband's body only to find him moved into a corridor -- and alive.

Reuters could not immediately reach hospital officials to confirm the events. But Camejo showed the newspaper his facial scar and a document ordering the autopsy.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:33 am

A few words from one of the most modest (not) men in English & European football, Jose (the 'j' is pronounced cos he's Portuguese not Spanish) Mourinho.

He lost his job in the early hours of the day today GMT. Awww.

His billionaire Russian oil tycoon boss, Roman Abramovich, is very pissed off that millions of pounds spent in buying top players isn't translating into winning results. One English footballing pundit described Abramovich as 'spitting blood' at Mourinho. With quotes like this you've got to love the arrogance in football!

"Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one" - Mourinho introduces himself to the English press after arriving from Porto, Portugal in the summer of 2004.

EDIT:
Unusual News has been Pennless for too long!!!!

Sean Penn dismayed by `Wild' discovery
By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer 2 hours, 7 minutes ago

TORONTO - Sean Penn made a disheartening discovery on his latest trip to Alaska this summer: Someone had walked off with a pair of boots that had sat in an old bus in the wilderness for almost 15 years.
ADVERTISEMENT

The bus had become something of a shrine for Christopher McCandless, the subject of Penn's latest movie, "Into the Wild," a young man who died of starvation there in 1992 after four months of trying to live off the land.

McCandless had taken shelter in the bus, which still held pots, pans and other artifacts he left behind after all those years. His boots had remained on director Penn's previous trips to scout locations and film the movie, which opens Friday, starring Emile Hirsch as McCandless.

But two months ago, Penn went camping at the bus site with Jon Krakauer, whose best-seller was the basis for the film.

"Somebody took off their own boots and replaced them with Chris' boots," Penn said in an interview last week at the Toronto International Film Festival, where "Into the Wild" played. "The boots that were left behind were better than Chris," making clear to Penn that the perpetrator wasn't simply looking to upgrade his footwear.

"I can't help but think it was related to some of the imminent discussion about the movie coming, and somebody hungering to have an eBay item," Penn said.

McCandless' story made national headlines, prompting both sympathy for his experiment in self-denial and criticism that he brought his fate on himself for trekking ill-equipped and ill-prepared into a harsh land.

His death followed a two-year trek around North America in which McCandless sought to divest himself of the trappings of the material world and live life at its simplest.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 am

Youse US-ers are not the only ones who have (crazy) UFO files.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070920/tod-ireland-defence-ufos-offbeat-7f81b96_1.html
Irish defence forces eyed UFOs for 37 years

I found this on Guardian.co.uk's weekly viral video chart - it's fab!
http://www.break.com/index/train-runs-through-bangkok-market.html
Lots of the comments posted after this video are completely retarded. My fav comment says 'I'm glad that I live in the US'. I'm glad that person lives in the US too cos, obviously, clearly, the entire rest of the world is similar to this 40 seconds of amateur video taken of a unusual event in a tiny part of one huge capital city in South East Asia ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2174042,00.html
Enough is Enough - (nope, not the hideous pop song)

Question - do people in the US really think Sarah Silverman is funny? Cos if she was a claiming to be a comedian in UK/Ireland with that calibre of material & performance she wouldn't be let near a microphone never mind getting a her own second TV series on CC.

If you've got an itch, scratch it. Now, how to deal with a seven year itch...
Politician to solve seven-year itch by scratching marriage

How do you solve the problem of the seven-year itch? With the seven-year marriage. That's the solution to the age-old curse proposed by Bavarian politician Gabriele Pauli, best known in Germany for posing for a glossy magazine wearing elbow-length latex gloves and an enigmatic smile.

"The basic approach is wrong ... many marriages last just because people believe they are safe," said Ms Pauli in Munich. "My suggestion is that marriages should expire after seven years."

After that time, she said, out-of-love couples could walk away from each other, sparing "financial and emotional heartache". Still-in-love couples could say "I do" for another seven-year round.

The suggestion from the two-time divorcee came at the launch of her campaign to become leader of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the conservative political party that has ruled Bavaria for half a century.

Ms Pauli first attracted national attention last December after complaining that aides of CSU leader Edmund Stoiber had been digging for dirt in her private life.

The scandal snowballed and forced Mr Stoiber to announce he would stand down this month after 14 years in power.

Ms Pauli has since attracted a large fan base around Germany. Visitors to her website are greeted with a photograph of her in black lederhosen, sitting astride a motorbike.

Her seven-year marriage idea will be popular if unrealisable in Germany, where nearly every second marriage ends in divorce.

But she has probably blown her chance to lead Germany's most conservative and Catholic state, particularly in a race dominated by three political heavyweight, male competitors.

One of those competitors, federal agriculture minister Horst Seehofer, called on Ms Pauli to pull out of the leadership race yesterday. "It's an absurd idea and totally contrary to the programme of the CSU," he said.

Mr Seehofer was unable to resist the seven-year itch when it struck like clockwork last year, 21 years into his second marriage. In June his mistress, a Bundestag secretary, gave birth to a baby boy. However, Mr Seehofer ended the relationship after the birth to stay with his wife and family.
© 2007 The Irish Times
Shas'O Marsh

Postby Shas'O Marsh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:49 am

I dunno if Sarah S. is funny. I avoid it.

Anyway, this Jena Six thing is somewhat funny. On one hand, I do believe that they were harshly punished for a schoolyard incident. On the other hand, reading god knows how many quotes from protestors, you'd think that the six were innocently licking ice cream cones when the big bad police showed up and hauled them away. It's in that middleground. :lol:
SuperMaids wrote:emotionally-lacking secretly transvestite homo-hunting hompohobes and AIDS-crazed ass-rammers
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:06 am

In the not so distant future China will rule the earth or have the economic power to do so. To paraphrase Kent Brockman 'I for one welcome our new (Chinese) overlords' especially if they can put an end to crass 'talent' TV shows and possibly other reality shows too! I love the part about participants having to be healthy and mature - that alone would kill the reality show formula.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7009559.stm

China slaps curbs on talent shows
China has ordered strict curbs on Pop Idol-style TV shows, the country's state media has reported.

The curbs include a ban on public voting via the internet, telephone or by text messages.

The rules also say participants must be healthy and mature, while hosts of the reality TV programmes should not flirt with each other or be nasty.

Reality TV shows like Super Voice Girls, modelled on Pop Idol, have become hugely popular in China.

But the shows will no longer be broadcast during prime time evening hours, Xinhua said, presumably a measure meant to curb audience numbers.

It is thought one reason for the crackdown was a view that participants were negative role models for the young.

"TV stations must select qualified candidates who show characteristics such as perseverance, maturity, confidence, and health," Xinhua quoted the rules as saying.

"The hairstyle, dress and remarks of candidates should accord with aesthetic values of the general public."

The rules also warned hosts against "flirting with each other," and making "inflammatory or sensational remarks", according to Xinhua.

Last month the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television (Sarft) banned to talent show The First Heartthrob for being "vulgar".
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:15 am

No Unusual News posting from me yesterday due to SPS undergoing maintenance according to the Viacom (boo, hiss) message that I kept getting.

Worth keeping an eye on this story to see how it develops
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7013638.stm
Burmese riot police attack monks
Several thousand Burmese monks and other protesters have begun new marches in Rangoon despite a bloody crackdown by police at the city's holiest shrine.

A very tall guy dressed in Halo gear was doing promo for the new game release at the weekend in Dublin. Teenage boys were hugging him & grown men stood beside him with their arms lovingly around his shoulders to be photographed. So, in conclusion, Halo is gay. :wink:

Planning on taking over the world? Need a base from which to operate? Go to ebay & buy your ideal head-quarters now. No word on whether kung fu fighting babes, shark tanks or cat flaps are included.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7012020.stm
Missile base on sale as ideal home
The vendor says the base would make an ideal summer camp.
It is the ideal home for an aspiring James Bond villain, or an anxious survivalist seeking a refuge that can withstand an atomic bomb.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:46 am

Jaysus but the Japanese are great. I've never been to Japan but it's deffo on my 'must travel to' list.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070927/t ... f57_1.html
TOKYO (AFP) - A Japanese dairy company on Thursday announced the launch of super-premium milk for stressed-out adults -- at the price of 5,000 yen a bottle (43 dollars) for a bottle of 900 millilitres, or one quart.
(Advertisement)

Tokyo-based Nakazawa Foods will launch the "Adult Milk" line of products in October targetting "adults who live in a stressful society," the company said in a statement.

The price is nearly 30 times as expensive as ordinary milk even in Tokyo, which is famous for its high prices.

The milk is taken from cows once a week at the break of dawn as they discharge a lot of a stress-relieving hormone called melatonin during the night, the company said.

The milk is bottled within six hours of milking at a farm north of Tokyo.

It is said to contain three to four times as much melatonin as usual milk

Does anyone else love 'Heroes'? It's half way through Series One on BBC and I'm enthralled. Best character - Hiro. He's the only one who loves what's happening to him and his story line is full of humour.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 pm

I've yet to see a Kenny vs Spenny that made me laugh... unoriginal and not that funny. I'm sure there's lots of fans out there but I'm not impressed by it at all. Maybe it's cos of the wealth of Brit comedy available over here or sumthin... Basically, KvsS are 2 mid/late 30 guys who stage ridiculous competitions between each other and (I hope I don't spoil it for anyone, ha!) one of them usually wins cos he scams the other guy.

Anyhoo, 'Our Heroes(tm)' MnT think differently. I can see of the life long friends and immature macho competitiveness appealed to MnT tho...

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsAr ... ived=False
"South Park" duo bring Canada reality show to U.S

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker have joined up with the team behind Canadian series "Kenny vs. Spenny" to produce new episodes of the comedy-reality series for Comedy Central.

The network has licensed 10 new episodes of the show, in which childhood friends and series co-creators Kenny Hotz and Spencer Rice battle each other in outrageous competitions, and also has acquired 10 episodes from the show's library. The series is set to premiere November 14.

Speaking of immature macho competitiveness here's a show I do really like. The endurance tests of totally stoopid and have to be conducted in silence. It's often set in a church or a library. I give you Fist of Zen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91uLtKHfjA
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:37 am

Coming from this part of the world I can't help thinking the US hang up with (some/any/moderate) swearing on TV programmes for adults is a bit OTT. However, this is a more OTT a reaction to a public kiss (not even on the lips!) than I think most us would understand. All this happened 5 months ago tho...

The woman involved is a beautiful Bollywood actress, Shipa Shetty. Funnily enough (not) despite initiating the PDA in question, Richard Gere has kept out of the incident. Firstly, cos, IMO, he's a wanker and secondly, probably to protect his image, whatever the hell his image is these days (hamsters anyone?). So I suppose that devout Buddhism for ya?!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gS06 ... VGvVZffoXw

Gere Kiss Causes Problem for Actress

MUMBAI, India (AP) — Five months later, Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty is still feeling the effects of a kiss from Richard Gere. Immigration officials at Mumbai airport briefly detained Shetty, saying she was still wanted for obscenity charges filed in the wake of the public kiss with the Hollywood star, her publicist, Dale Bhagwagar, said Thursday.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:05 pm

Are you just a massive fan of the Daily Rotten News?
Email notifications do matter, people.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:15 pm

Here's one for this thread.

Tom Cruise Plans Underground Bunker

Tom Cruise is allegedly planning to build a bunker underneath his house in preparation for the end of the world.

The Top Gun star, who is a devout follower of Scientology, is said to believe evil intergalactic ruler Xenu will attack Earth and so has designed a place to hide underneath his Colorado mansion.

A source told America's Star magazine: "Tom is planning to build a $US10 million bunker under his Telluride estate.

"It's a self-contained underground shelter with a high tech air-purifying system where up to ten people can survive for years."

Scientology's founder, science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard, claimed extra-terrestrial beings were sent to Earth by intergalactic ruler Xenu, who then destroyed the aliens with hydrogen bombs in a volcano.

The aliens' souls attached themselves to chosen humans, known as thetans, who will be one day be saved. Tom is a devout follower of the bizarre sci-fi cult and has been hailed by leaders of the faith as the "chosen one" who will spread the word of the religion.

The 45-year-old actor is in Berlin filming World War II drama, Valkyrie.

He has been joined by wife Katie Holmes and 17-month-old daughter Suri, but his adopted children with first wife Nicole Kidman - Isabella, 14, and 12-year-old son Connor - are said to have spent the summer at a Scientology camp.

Oh, for the love of Xenu... :roll:
Taranis_Music

Postby Taranis_Music » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Here's one for this thread.

Tom Cruise is allegedly planning to build a bunker underneath his house in preparation for the end of the world.

The Top Gun star, who is a devout follower of Scientology, is said to believe evil intergalactic ruler Xenu will attack Earth and so has designed a place to hide underneath his Colorado mansion.

A source told America's Star magazine: "Tom is planning to build a $US10 million bunker under his Telluride estate.

"It's a self-contained underground shelter with a high tech air-purifying system where up to ten people can survive for years."

Scientology's founder, science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard, claimed extra-terrestrial beings were sent to Earth by intergalactic ruler Xenu, who then destroyed the aliens with hydrogen bombs in a volcano.

The aliens' souls attached themselves to chosen humans, known as thetans, who will be one day be saved. Tom is a devout follower of the bizarre sci-fi cult and has been hailed by leaders of the faith as the "chosen one" who will spread the word of the religion.

The 45-year-old actor is in Berlin filming World War II drama, Valkyrie.

He has been joined by wife Katie Holmes and 17-month-old daughter Suri, but his adopted children with first wife Nicole Kidman - Isabella, 14, and 12-year-old son Connor - are said to have spent the summer at a Scientology camp.

What a douche bag. :lol:
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:20 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Here's one for this thread.

PERFECT for this thread. I'm sure Xenu would agree. :)
Keejit

Re: Unusual News Item O'de Day

Postby Keejit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:20 am

Grrrreat job on the website re-design.

This story has been around a few days. I wasn't able to post it due to the site being down but it's worth posting now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7024124.stm
North Carolina pair feud over leg
A US man who stored his amputated leg in a barbecue smoker that was later auctioned off is locked in a custody dispute with the man who bought it.

John Wood's smoker was sold to Shannon Whisnant last week after he fell behind on payments at the storage facility in North Carolina where it was kept.

He wants his leg back but Mr Whisnant says he has a receipt for the smoker's contents and wants to share ownership.

Mr Wood's leg was amputated above the knee after a plane crash in 2004.

He asked to keep the leg so he could be buried as a whole man when he died, and stored it at the facility in Maiden after losing his home.

But when Mr Wood failed to pay the necessary rental fees, the storage company auctioned the smoker and all its contents.

After buying the smoker last Tuesday, Mr Whisnant looked inside and found a man's leg wrapped in a wire screen.

He initially gave the leg to the police, who concluded it had not been removed as a result of a crime and sent it to a funeral home until Mr Wood could pick it up.

But after making money by charging adults $3 (£1.47) and children $1 (49p) to look inside the empty smoker, Mr Whisnant asked for it back.

His request was refused by the funeral home, so he decided to try to persuade Mr Wood to share custody and profits.

"I told him I'd share custody of it..." Mr Whisnant said.

"It's a strange incident and Halloween's just around the corner. The price will go up if I get the leg."

Mr Wood, who now lives in Greenville, South Carolina, has insisted he is not interested in using the leg to make money and plans to travel to Maiden as soon as possible to reclaim it.

"I just think it's despicable," he said.

"I don't mind having the 15 minutes of fame, but I'm not looking to really profit off this thing.

"He's making a freak show out of it."

Having had his offer rejected, Mr Whisnant has threatened to begin legal action if the leg is not returned to him by next week.

He says he has a receipt showing he bought both the smoker and its contents at the auction.

"Everybody knows it's mine, period," he said. "And if anyone tries to take it, I want everything they got."
albino.black.sheep

Re: Unusual News Item O'de Day

Postby albino.black.sheep » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:58 am

I'll take your silence as a yes.
Email notifications do matter, people.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”