Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Keejit

Re: Unusual News Item O'de Day

Postby Keejit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. But hey, homeless, paraplegic and mentally ill, they thought they'd be safe.

http://www.knbc.com/news/15077724/detail.html
Lawsuit Alleges Hospital Left Paraplegic Man On Skid Row

LOS ANGELES -- A lawsuit alleging a homeless paraplegic man was dumped from a Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center van onto Skid Row without his wheelchair last Feb. 8 was filed Thursday.

Gabino Olvera, 42, is alleging elder abuse and neglect, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligence by hospital officials. His legal team includes lawyers from the American Civil Liberties of Southern California.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and a court order directing the hospital to comply with laws regarding the discharge of homeless patients.
Click here to find out more!

According to the ACLU, hospital staff members ignored signs that Olvera was mentally ill, did not diagnose or treat his urinary tract infection and discharged him in a helpless condition.

When found on the street with a soiled medical gown, Olvera was dragging himself along the pavement, clenching his hospital papers with his teeth, according to the ACLU.

As a result several cases of alleged dumping by hospitals, and Los Angeles Councilwoman Jan Perry and City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo want to make it a misdemeanor offense for hospitals to transport patients to a location other than the patient's home without written consent. Under their proposal, violators could be hit with a $25,000 fine and three years probation.

However, an executive with the Hospital Association of Southern California, which represents 170 Southland hospitals, said the proposal is short-sighted and does not address why medical professionals make the decision to leave patients on Skid Row -- overcrowded hospitals and a lack of housing for the homeless.

The proposed ordinance is similar to a state bill vetoed last year by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Authored by Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, the bill would have barred hospitals and their staff from transporting a patient to a location other than that person's residence.

The governor said he opposed the legislation because current state and federal laws adequately address the issue.

City attorneys are using false imprisonment and elder abuse laws to prosecute hospitals that dump patients. A year ago, Delgadillo filed charges against Kaiser Permanente for allegedly dumping a woman who was wearing a hospital gown and slippers when she was left on the street.

Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center is also being investigated for allegedly dumping Olvera and another man who was still strapped to a gurney.

According to a posting on its Web site, Hollywood Presbyterian in May adopted a policy making Skid Row the "destination of last resort for discharged homeless patients" and enacted improvements in their care and transportation.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:32 pm

THE MPAA ADMIT TO LYING! Well, no. But still, they admit they were wrong!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j33C ... wD8UB6S0O2
MPAA Admits Mistake on Downloading Study

By JUSTIN POPE – 14 hours ago

Hollywood laid much of the blame for illegal movie downloading on college students. Now, it says its math was wrong.

In a 2005 study it commissioned, the Motion Picture Association of America claimed that 44 percent of the industry's domestic losses came from illegal downloading of movies by college students, who often have access to high-bandwidth networks on campus.

The MPAA has used the study to pressure colleges to take tougher steps to prevent illegal file-sharing and to back legislation currently before the House of Representatives that would force them to do so.

But now the MPAA, which represents the U.S. motion picture industry, has told education groups a "human error" in that survey caused it to get the number wrong. It now blames college students for about 15 percent of revenue loss.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Well now somebody's really going to hell.

Thief steals treasured crown of Greek Orthodox bishop

http://startelegram.typepad.com/crime_t ... ls-tr.html

Metropolitan Isaiah, the bishop of the Northwest Region of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, still wants his crown back.

The treasured gold crown, shown at left, was given to the bishop 22 years ago, and was stolen Friday night from a car while the bishop dined at an Arlington restaurant. He's hoping the thief or thieves have a rush of conscience and return the crown and other items taken in the car burglary. The bishop is offering a reward.

"I hope the great state of Texas can help me out somehow," Isaiah said Saturday. "I would be willing to give a monetary gift for the return of the crown once I received it in good condition."

And you just know the thief is going to have a difficult time flogging the Bishop's crown. (I couldn't resist. :D )

But seriously, can you imagine the guy walking into a pawn shop with that under his arm?
"Yeah um, I've got the chainsaw, and a stack of CD's that I'd like to pawn... along with a Bishop's Crown."
"I'm sorry, a what?"
"Uh, a B-bishop's Crown, it was my Uncle's, uh-Cousin's... they were real popular in the 80's."
"I'm-I'm sorry sir, we just... I mean there isn't much call for one of those here."
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:36 am

Mickey Mouse was arrested in Sacramento on DUI charges!

http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/673762.html
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Man lived with corpse for years
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 234810.stm

The body of a man believed to have been dead for more than five years has been found in a Bristol flat where a tenant continued to live.

The corpse was discovered by council workers on a sofa in the lounge after neighbours reported a foul smell.

The deceased man, believed to be in his 70s, was the tenant's former lodger at the flat in Bedminster.

It is thought the tenant failed to report the death because he suffers from mental health problems.

An inquest is due to open later.

The tenant, also in his 70s, was initially arrested in connection with the discovery, but was later bailed. Police are no longer treating the death as suspicious.

Bristol City Council has launched an internal inquiry to establish how the corpse went unnoticed for so long.

A spokesman said: "We were alerted to the body after we received reports of a smell.

"We are shocked and concerned by this discovery and are carrying out an urgent internal review of the circumstances of the tenant.

"A police investigation is ongoing, and it would be inappropriate to comment further while this is taking place."
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Speaking of corpses...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23056665/

Real estate shock: Owner hanged in closet
Agent showing house to prospective buyer finds apparent suicide

LONDON - A real estate agent who took a prospective buyer to view a house in central England found the owner hanging dead in a closet, the agency said Thursday.

It was the first viewing of the $700,000 house, which had been on the market for a week. The owner was hanging from a belt inside a walk-in closet in the main bedroom.

"It was quite a shock," said a spokesman for the Hartleys agency. "Our agent quickly ushered everyone out, locked the property and called the authorities."

The owner, a single man in his 40s, is thought to have committed suicide. He inherited the house from his mother, who died recently, the estate agents said.

I heard about this yesterday, but after seeing the previous post, I had to find and post this story.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
love*metal

Postby love*metal » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:48 am

Keejit wrote:Man lived with corpse for years
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 234810.stm

The body of a man believed to have been dead for more than five years has been found in a Bristol flat where a tenant continued to live.

The corpse was discovered by council workers on a sofa in the lounge after neighbours reported a foul smell.

The deceased man, believed to be in his 70s, was the tenant's former lodger at the flat in Bedminster.

It is thought the tenant failed to report the death because he suffers from mental health problems.

An inquest is due to open later.

The tenant, also in his 70s, was initially arrested in connection with the discovery, but was later bailed. Police are no longer treating the death as suspicious.

Bristol City Council has launched an internal inquiry to establish how the corpse went unnoticed for so long.

A spokesman said: "We were alerted to the body after we received reports of a smell.

"We are shocked and concerned by this discovery and are carrying out an urgent internal review of the circumstances of the tenant.

"A police investigation is ongoing, and it would be inappropriate to comment further while this is taking place."

Thats all the rage in the british papers. Nasty stuff.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:09 am

Big-Will wrote:Speaking of corpses...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23056665/

The very first thing I thought of when I read this was "Cartman Sucks" when they're showing Butters around the retreat.

I can just see it now, the agent opening up the closet door....silence....then he quietly closes it and says, "..now over here in the kitchen, we have...."
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:49 pm

Quick note - like most countries the US and British press have more than one type/style of newspaper, eg, local interest, serious national political press and tabloid journalism. The British tabloid press is no more salacious than the US tabloid press or any other countries'.

The very strong arm of the law(yer) ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7237248.stm

Assault rap for rough handshake
A Florida lawyer has been charged with assault for over-vigorously shaking the hand of a fellow attorney.

Kathy Brewer Rentas, 49, shook the hand of Assistant US Attorney Jennifer Keene so hard her arm was nearly ripped out of its socket, a court official said.

Moments before, Ms Keene successfully prosecuted Ms Brewer Rentas' husband.

Anthony Rentas was accused of violating the terms of a probation order for supplying cocaine, and sentenced to 90 days of house arrest.

After the hearing in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Mrs Brewer Rentas insisted on shaking the prosecuting lawyer's hand.

In shaking it, she nearly floored Ms Keene with the vigour of her hand-action.

"With Keene in hand, Brewer made an upward, then a quick downward motion and pulled Keene toward the ground moving her forward, almost causing Keene to fall to the ground," said a court security officer.

Alicia Valle, a spokeswoman for the US Attorney's Office, said assaulting a federal officer was a serious matter and that Mrs Brewer Rentas would be prosecuted "vigorously".

"As a member of the bar, she should know better," she said.

Mrs Brewer Rentas was freed on Friday on $100,000 (£50,000) bail, after spending a night in solitary confinement, and ordered to undergo psychological examination.

She was also ordered to stay away from Mrs Keene, and faces up to a year in prison if convicted of assault.

Mrs Brewer Rentas says she did not intend to cause any harm.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:12 am

Amazing news - Fidel Castro has retired, or resigned, whichever way you want to look at it.

However, this paranoid git is much funnier - conspiracies theories don't get more involved and comprehensive than this!

See, 'thing is that if the driver of the infamous car (Henri Paul) is found to be the major cause in this tragic accident his employer, Mr Al Fayed could actually be liable for his own son's death and that of a princess. So, it's worth his while to spin this line and hell, tis most entertaining too!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/19/diana.monarchy
They're all guilty? 'Definitely.' Fayed gets his day in court

Extract:
It was some time during the afternoon that counsel for the Metropolitan police outlined the extent of the international conspiracy to kill Diana, Princess of Wales, and her companion Dodi Fayed, as outlined by Dodi's father Mohamed Al Fayed, in court 73 of the high court in London yesterday.

Shortly after Tony Blair and Robin Cook had been added to Fayed's list of conspirators, Richard Horwell QC, a note of incredulity rising in his voice, said: "So that's MI5, MI6, the CIA, the DGSE - the French intelligence service - Judge Stephan ... the French ambulance service ... Lord Condon, Lord Stevens ... Mr Burgess, the Surrey coroner and Lady Sarah McCorquodale?"

He could have added several more: two bodyguards; the French pathologists; a photographer called James Andanson, who was allegedly driving the white Fiat Uno that brushed against the Mercedes shortly before it crashed in the Alma tunnel in Paris on August 31 1997; Henri Paul, the chauffeur; a reception clerk at the Ritz hotel; Sir Michael Jay, the then British ambassador; Sir Robert Fellowes, the Queen's private secretary, who was Diana's brother-in-law; Lord Mishcon, her solicitor; and - of course - Prince Philip and Prince Charles. Time and again, Fayed answered: "Definitely'.

This is my fav bit!

There was the Duke of Edinburgh, masterminding the murder of his former daughter-in-law from Balmoral: "It is well known he is Nazi, a racist. Fine. It's time to send him back to Germany from where he comes. You want to know his original name? It ends in Frankenstein."

(note - the Duke of Edinburgh is actually Greek. The 'great' British tabloid press dub him 'Phil The Greek'. Mr Mohammad Al Fayed is Egyptian and his applications for British nationality have been refused several times. Tis no wonder really. His English is rubbish; he'd never pass a basic comprehension exam. He owns Harrods, the super posh department store. He can't even buy British citizenship.)
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:22 am

This isn't news, it's not even a real story but it's very funny and I love The Onion. In fact, everyone should love The Onion!
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/cg ... stic_oscar

CGI Team Creates Realistic Oscar For Michael Bay

Extracts:
LOS ANGELES—A leading team of CGI experts hand-selected by blockbuster producer and director Michael Bay has pushed the limits of what can be accomplished with special effects and digital imaging by creating a computer- generated best-director Oscar for the 43-year-old filmmaker.

The $125 million project, funded entirely by Bay, has been called one of the most ambitious CGI undertakings to date, dwarfing even Bay's most ambitious efforts in his 2007 robot-action film, Transformers. A crew of nearly 200 technicians working for nine months on a 15,000-square-foot soundstage was required to realize the director's wildly imaginative fantasy world.

Meryl Streep, who commanded a $5 million salary for her role as the presenter of the Oscar, said the production was the biggest challenge of her career.

"To put yourself in that mental place, in a world where something like this would be possible, it's just indescribable," Streep said. "Standing in front of that greenscreen and trying to make it look as though I actually believed what I was doing was the most difficult thing I've ever attempted as an actor.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Giggle. You know, I remember hearing the stupidest thing back in '02 or '03. Someone was going to try and make a new Bruce Lee movie that was all CGI. He was going to be completely computer generated. It's been about six years, so I'm guessing they saw the error of their ways.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:03 pm

BRMBug- stop putting possible ideas into Mr Bay's head - or space where there once was a brain.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:35 pm

:lol:
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Mr. Bay once had a brain? When was this?
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”