Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Keejit

Re: Unusual News Item O'de Day

Postby Keejit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:36 pm

You wait ages for one decent new comedy series to come along and then three come along all in the one week!

Jennifer Saunders co-writes & stars in:

The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle
Dark sitcom about a daytime talk show. Ratings for the Vivienne Vyle Show soar when a guest punches Vivienne.
Tiny snippets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyjGgKvME0
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySoboBh5 ... ed&search=
For sensitive, confidential help on national TV.

and...

Serafinowicz was the voice of Darth Maul and (possibly?) Darth Chef!!!
The Peter Serafinowicz Show
Fast-paced sketch show in which Peter Serafinowicz and friends send up the best and worst of today's television. This programme introduces the UK's most incompetent lawyer.
Another tiny snippet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puj3Q_dm ... ed&search=

Then on Channel 4 UK, Comedy Showcase: first installment last night was called Other People starring Martin Freeman from the The Office (geddit? see how clever I am?). Very funny stuff.

Ahhh - BritCom, how I do lurve ya! If it wasn't for the 800 years of oppression I'd simply adore ya! :wink:
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:04 pm

Kids these days are spoilt rotten. At least this guy was trying to earn his keep, so to speak.

Boy, 11, in 100mph police chase
An 11-year-old boy and his parents have been arrested after he fled Louisiana police in a car chase at speeds of more than 100mph (160km/h), it is reported.

The child's mother and father have been accused of letting him drive for about six months, the Associated Press said.

The pursuit began when a patrol car spotted the boy's car speeding on Interstate 310 near New Orleans.

Police gave chase but the car sped away, only stopping at a Burger King restaurant where his mother worked.

The boy had been driving home from a hospital where he had dropped off his disabled father for an appointment when the chase began, police told AP.

His parents have been charged with the improper supervision of a minor and allowing an unlicensed minor to drive - something authorities said had been going on for six months.

The boy was reportedly released to the custody of an aunt after being arrested for fleeing from an officer, reckless driving, speeding, passing on the shoulder, improper lane usage and having no driver's licence.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/a ... 032155.stm
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Real violence can beget more real violence. So, growing up somewhere, oh, like Northern Ireland may make you a bit more 'ready', if ya know what I mean. But in a clothes shop?!? I love fashion and shopping but not this much ever. I wonder if the name of the shop had an influence...

Mannequins mauled in store wars
Feverish shoppers ripped clothes off shop mannequins during a bargain store sale which ended in trouble and police being called.

One man was arrested when trendy fashion retailer Clockwork Orange opened a store at the Junction One retail outlet in Antrim.

About 2,000 people arrived for the opening and tempers frayed as people tried to jump the queue.

The shop opened at 0500 BST on Saturday for a "beat the clock" sale.

Bargain hunters were lining up for the promotion, where the cost of an item is based on the time of purchase.

Product manager Will McCooke said some people had lost all sense.

"We had beautiful girls with designer handbags and designer sunglasses on their hands and knees grabbing clothes," he said.

"It was completely primeval - it was like hunter-gatherers.

"Within half an hour of the store opening the windows had been ransacked by people coming in and ripping the clothes off the mannequins and just leaving the mannequins on the ground.

"They were literally tearing the mannequins apart to get the clothes."

He said that if you were in at 0500 BST, everything in the store would be £5 - from a £30 T-shirt to the £300 leather jacket.

"We actually had to close the fitting rooms because of the volume of people coming through - people were not trying things on, they were just grabbing handfuls of clothes and running to the cash desk."

One man was arrested for disorderly behaviour, the PSNI said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/u ... 033270.stm
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:14 pm

I love science me. But sometimes it's totally mad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct/09/kenya
The buzzing of bees brings terror to the mighty African elephant

It might seem like the epitome of a David versus Goliath mismatch - up to 12 tonnes of heavily armoured mammal flesh versus a few hundred milligrams of irritating insect. But despite their thick skins and size advantage, elephants turn tail and flee at the sound of a swarm of bees, according to research in Kenya.

The scientists who discovered the elephant reaction say it could be exploited to keep the animals from raiding crops.

To find out whether the elephants shy away from bees Oxford University researcher Lucy King set up experiments in which she played recordings of African bee swarms to 18 elephant families. She was careful to put speakers well away from her own vehicle so the elephants would not associate the sounds with people.

"It's hard to put it into words how dramatic this reaction is," said Ms King. "As soon as the bee sound played they would stop immediately what they were doing and turn directly to the speaker.

"The young ones would immediately bunch up to their mums in a defensive format. Normally one of the elephants would trigger a retreat and the whole herd would either run or walk fast after them," she added.

Ms King compared the reaction to bee sounds with the elephants' response to white noise. She reports today in Current Biology that only one family had not moved after hearing the bees compared with eight who heard the white noise. The response to the bees was quicker, too. Half of the families moved within 10 seconds.

She said elephants can be stung around their eyes or even up their trunks and that a swarm of bees could kill a calf because its skin is not yet thick enough to repel stings. So the animals probably learn through painful experience to avoid the buzzing.

Farmers, she suggested, could use that to protect their crops from elephant raids, although it would probably be necessary to have real bees' nests rather than recordings because the animals would probably rumble the bluff. She added that her findings did not add weight to the notion that elephants were scared of other small animals such as mice. "There's no evidence whatsoever for that," she said.

'Ahhhh!' factor here, lickel piggy http://www.flickr.com/photos/10227028@N04/1464591646/
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 am

Maybe a Snuke could set him free! Remember kids, never drink & drive. especially if you're Candian or Australian, or Lindsay Lohan or Randy....

24 star jailed for drink-driving
Actor Kiefer Sutherland will serve 48 days in jail after pleading no contest to charges of drink-driving.

Under a deal with prosecutors, the star will serve the sentence during breaks in filming for his hit TV drama, 24.

Sutherland, 40, was arrested in Los Angeles last month while on probation for a 2004 drink-driving offence.

In a statement, the actor apologised for his "poor judgement" and the "distress this has caused my family, friends and co-workers".

Sutherland was not in court as his lawyer, Blair Berk, entered the plea agreement.

A second charge of driving under the influence was dropped. His arrangement means that filming on the seventh series of 24 will not be interrupted, drawing praise from his bosses at TV network Fox.

"Kiefer made clear to us at the time of his arrest that his first concern was the welfare of those he worked with and that he intended to do whatever was necessary to prevent shutting down the show," it said in a statement.

"He told us that even if he had to sacrifice more time in custody in order to protect the show and the jobs of those who work with him, he would do so.

"From what occurred today, it is evident he is a man of his word."

The jail sentence consists of 30 days for driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit, and 18 days for violating his probation, according to court records.

Under the terms of his agreement, he must serve the time in full.

Sutherland also received a six-month driving ban, and was ordered to attend alcohol education classes for 18 months and weekly alcohol therapy sessions for six months.

The Canadian actor first came to fame as part of the 1980s "brat pack", starring in films such as The Lost Boys, Young Guns and Flatliners.

He took on the role of 24's counter-terrorist agent Jack Bauer in 2001, and won an Emmy for the role last year.

Last week, financial magazine Forbes placed him tenth on its list of the highest-paid celebrities.

It stated that he earned $22m (£10.79m); the list was topped by Oprah Winfrey with $260m (£128m).
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/e ... 037022.stm
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:28 am

I've got a little odd story.

I once did the same thing, but I was three... And Mom was in the car... And I hit a Toyota... going backwards in a parking lot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21216913/?GT1=10450

BROOMFIELD, Colo. - A 6-year-old boy was hungry and decided he'd go to Applebee’s. So he grabbed the car keys, took his booster seat from the back seat of his grandmother's car and placed it in the driver's seat, then made a go of driving himself to the restaurant Tuesday.

He made it about 75 feet. Unable to take the car out of reverse, he crossed the street and ran into a transformer and communication box, knocking out electricity and phone service to dozens of townhomes.

Nobody was injured and the boy, whose name was not released, got out of his car and told his grandmother what happened.

"He proceeded to start the car and started backing up," said Sgt. Colleen O'Connell of the Broomfield Police Department. "He went backward about 47 feet, hit the curb, then went backward another 29 feet."

Investigators couldn't figure out how the boy reached the accelerator.

No charges will be filed.

"I have five children of my own, so I know you cannot watch them every minute they're awake," said nearby resident Nancy Hollis, whose power was knocked out by the accident.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:28 am

DUDE - nice article. Small children driving cars is almost the norm now. Solution? Make smaller cars!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Bono person unto SP, at last. I have been averting mine eyes away from any ep discussion by those who have already seen it as person’s like me who live an pissant, redneck continent called Europe have to wait or DL it. I’ll be DL-ing this as soon as the other things in my life have been taken care of - like my job, key responsibilities, doing, y’know, stuff and activities I enjoy sharing with this male person I like and obviously, feeding the cat. That last bit is not a metaphor. I really do have to feed the cat.

What’s this? An ugly, annoying, will-drive-most-adults-insane-in-seconds piece of plastic that's not too expensive? It's gotta be a 'must-have' toy for Christmas. BUT this one’s better than anything cos it's a Dr Who toy - yes! (Dear lovely Santa, you are the best guy ever and I have been mostly good so please can I have....)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/retail/story/ ... 73,00.html

Not sure if Australians are the only ones who would have tried this but it's true. A Vodka drip saved this man's life. Do not try this at home... Or in a frat house.

Doctors save man with vodka drip
Australian doctors have kept an Italian tourist alive by feeding him vodka through a drip for three days, medical staff in Queensland say.

The 24-year-old man, who had swallowed a poison in an apparent suicide attempt, was treated while in a coma.

Doctors set up the drip after running out of medicinal alcohol, used as an antidote to the poison.

Medical staff said the patient had made a full recovery, and the hangover had worn off by the time he woke up.

He had been taken to hospital in the northern Queensland town of Mackay after swallowing ethylene glycol - a poison contained in anti-freeze.

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," Dr Todd Fraser said in a statement.

"Fortunately for him he was in a medically induced coma for a good portion of that. By the time he woke up I think his hangover would have well and truly gone."

He spent 20 days in hospital before being discharged.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/a ... 037443.stm

Edit:
And finally - I'm am evil but this is hilarious...http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol ... 316728.ece
THE Princess Diana inquest jury’s coach was involved in TWO minor accidents yesterday. :cartmanlaugh:
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:15 pm

Keejit wrote:DUDE - nice article. Small children driving cars is almost the norm now. Solution? Make smaller cars!

Or, make PowerWheels with bigger motors.

Also, that last link doesn't work.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:52 pm

BRMBug wrote:...that last link doesn't work.

Oops - thanks dude.
Fixed - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 316728.ece
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:54 am

Al Gore wins one of the prizes Bono hasn't managed to win - the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm super serial.
[size=50]Bollocks.

Reactions here- http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=3671&edition=2&ttl=20071012112551[/size]

-----------------------------
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071011/ ... 596_1.html
Drunken Priest Punches Cop
MONTERREY, Mexico (Reuters) - A Mexican priest briefly ended up behind bars after punching a policemen who caught him driving drunkenly through the streets of the northern city of Monterrey.

Priest Manuel Raul Ortega, who was not wearing clerical dress but was clutching a prayer book when captured, launched himself at the traffic cop who pulled him over earlier this week.

"The individual became very violent because they were going to tow away his car. He attacked a policeman and was taken away," said transit department spokesman Hector Lozano on Thursday.

Ortega's papers identified him as a priest. He was released a few hours after his arrest after paying the fines for his offences.

Monterrey and Mexico City are in the midst of a tough new drive to clamp down on widespread drunk driving after tequila and beer-fuelled lunches and parties.

------------------------------------------
JK Rowling - a nice as Disney... :wink: Never f*ck with the Mouse. Now don't mess with the multi-millionaire kid's author!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7040191.stm
KOLKATA, India (AFP) - Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is suing organisers of a religious event for constructing a replica of her imaginary Hogwarts Castle in an eastern India city, officials said Thursday.

How can she sue for a replica of something imaginary? This isn't the film companies production designers suing for copying their replica. Most bizarre.

Rowling, quite rightly, has complete control of any HP merchandise. However, she really doesn't have to authorise such cheap crap and disgusting sweets full of shite to up her already vast income.

------------
EDIT - court tells JK to feck off...or something like that.
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyl ... 1820071012
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:49 pm

Chocolate, especially with at least 70% cocoa, is one of the most gorgeous things you can put in your mouth. And I'm thinking of a lot of things you can put in your mouth here! But who knew the sweet world of chcocolate could be so vicious. I will squash you...!

Chocolate expert damaged truffles
An expert chocolate-maker has resigned after he was caught squashing truffles at a rival manufacturer's shop.

Barry Colenso, former top chocolate-maker at Derbyshire-based Thorntons, damaged the truffles at Hotel Chocolat in Nottingham.

The store manager said staff found £63.50 worth of truffles damaged. The firm decided to take no further action.

Thorntons has declined to comment on the situation, but issued a statement saying Mr Colenso had resigned.

Mr Colenso, who designed a giant 390kg (860lb) edible chocolate billboard last Easter, has also not been available for comment.

Thorntons is currently in the process of recruiting his replacement.

Lynn Cunningham from Hotel Chocolat said: "It was quite extraordinary really.

"The staff observed Mr Colenso handling a number of truffles in a way that made them suspicious.

"When we checked the truffles later they had been squashed and damaged."

She said Hotel Chocolat was told by Thorntons that Mr Colenso had "handled the truffles inappropriately".

"We just want to move on now," she said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/u ... 042398.stm
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:12 am

Now why, oh why, is it that most men are insulting about women who are in oestrus? My theory is that men, who are clearly the inferior gender on the planet, (sexist? moi?), are sacred and don't want to show they're scared by, say, throwing money at the problem. :wink: Can't wait to see if this theory below is the correct next time I get my naturally occurring oestrus awwwn! Oh and it ain't what you may think; I'm asking for a massive raise.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626255.100-lap-dancers-in-heat-are-the-ones-to-watch.html

Lap dancers 'in heat' are the ones to watch
11 October 2007

TAKE a bunch of lap dancers, some lustful men and a fistful of dollars, and you have the best evidence yet for the controversial idea that women send out signals which reveal their fertile periods.

Last month, biologist Randy Thornhill challenged the orthodoxy that women do not undergo regular bouts of hormone-induced oestrus, or "heat", when they are at their most fertile - something most female mammals experience. Now a study of the tips men give to lap dancers, conducted by a colleague of Thornhill's, lends further support to the argument for oestrus.

Geoffrey Miller and his team at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, compared the earnings of lap dancers who were menstruating naturally with those of dancers taking the hormonal contraceptive pill. During the non-fertile periods of their menstrual cycle, both sets of dancers earned similar tips. But when naturally cycling lap dancers entered their fertile period they earned significantly more in tips than their co-workers on the pill (Evolution and Human Behavior, DOI: 10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2007.06.002).
“Lap dancers menstruating naturally earned more in tips during their fertile period than co-workers on the pill”

This is the first evidence that oestrus, and its influence on attractiveness, has "a real effect on women's earnings", says Miller.

However, even on non-fertile days lap dancers with natural menstrual cycles still earned reasonable tips, reinforcing the idea that men are clearly paying for the lap-dancing experience rather than for any perceived opportunity to procreate.

But the study does appear to show that the dancers somehow advertise their fertility to men, who then consider them more attractive during this fertile phase, as reflected in their tips. How they advertise, however, and whether they do it consciously, is unclear. "We don't know the mechanism of attraction," says Thornhill, who is also at the University of New Mexico but was not involved with the study. "Are the men detecting the scent of oestrus? Or does the women's behaviour change?" he asks.

"Previous research has shown that women's faces, scent and clothing become more attractive in oestrus," Miller notes. For example, earlier this year, Martie Haselton at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that women were judged to dress more attractively during their fertile periods, although the correlation was slight. Other studies show women become more confident during oestrus, says Thornhill. In the context of lap dancing, that may subtly change their behaviour and make them more appealing to clients.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 am

Mini pigs! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 044897.stm Pics are so sweet your teeth might hurt.

Even millionaires get the blues, which can lead to the mean reds, which can lead to becoming a complete mentaller- draft as a handbag, not the full shilling, a total looper...

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/conserva ... 62,00.html
Millionaire's son wins back £8m his father gave Tory party to fight 'satanic monsters'

Extract:
When the devoted family man and millionaire Bane Kostic locked his wife, Mirjana, in her bedroom for days on end, cut off her phone to prevent imaginary lovers calling her and sprinkled powder all round the room to show she was on cocaine, his close relatives knew he had lost his mind.

When he died in 2005, and they discovered that he had also disinherited his only son, Zoran, and left his entire £8.2m (approx $16.5m) estate to the Conservative party to fight a worldwide conspiracy of "satanic and bestial monsters", they decided they would have to challenge the will in court.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:15 am

Dude - like, no bleeding way! In all seriosity....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7048325.stm
Cheney, Obama 'distant cousins'
They may be polar opposites politically but US Vice-President Dick Cheney and Democratic candidate Barack Obama are related, Mr Cheney's wife says.

Lynne Cheney said she had discovered while doing family research for a new book that her husband and the Illinois senator were eighth cousins.
------------------------

Having been to the US many times, books don't seem to be as big a deal as they and their authors are over here so - really proud of this! :D

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071016/ ... 99d_6.html
LONDON (Reuters) - Dubliner Anne Enright won the Man Booker Prize, one of the literary world's most prestigious awards, on Tuesday for her bleak Irish family saga "The Gathering."
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Science can be mad! And scientists can be very mad. So you've made one the most important scientific discoveries of the 20th century, DNA, you might get a bit of an ego or a god complex but I'm damn certain it doesn't give the right to freely express these views...

Dr Watson won the 1962 Nobel Prize in Medicine with Mr Crick for their role in discovering the structure of DNA, one of the most significant scientific events of the 20th century.

But he has since regularly courted controversy, reportedly saying that a woman should have the right to abort her child if tests were able to determine it would be homosexual.

He has also suggested a link between skin colour and sex drive, proposing that black people have higher libidos, and claimed that beauty could be genetically manufactured.

Dr Watson has said: "People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would be great."
--------
Annnddd....the piece de resistance....!
--------

The DNA pioneer James Watson came under fire today from a government minister and his own research laboratory, as they rushed to condemn his claim that black people are less intelligent than whites.

As the furore over his assertions intensified, senior representatives of Dr Watson's US research centre, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, sought to distance themselves from his claims.

He made the controversial comments in a Sunday Times interview, reportedly saying he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really".

Dr Watson was quoted as saying he hoped everyone was equal, but that "people who have to deal with black employees find this is not true".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international ... 99,00.html

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”