Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

BRMBug

Re: Unusual News Item O'de Day

Postby BRMBug » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:38 am

Keejit wrote:THIS is what happened to the underpants gnomes and the deer that used to 'haunt' the corridors of SPS...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071105/ap_ ... gW.uosQE4F
Prank leaves police overrun by gnomes
SPRINGFIELD, Ore. - A number of gnomes and other creatures have taken sanctuary at the Springfield police station.

As part of a prank, somebody stole 75 lawn ornaments from around town and placed them meticulously on and around the lawn of one house on Oct. 17, police said.

Among the figurines are plastic and porcelain geese, deer, frogs are gnomes.

Police took them back to the station to help find the rightful owners.

"We need to get them out of here," Capt. Richard Harrison said. "Every time I leave my office they're sitting in my chair, working on my computer. I can't seem to get rid of the darn things."

The figurines will be put out for public viewing on Tuesday.

"If they come here and they can identify it we're more than happy to let the gnome go home," Harrison said.

Figurines that aren't claimed will be sold at auction.

:D That's so genious.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:08 am

I WANT an ANDROID NOW!!!
http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/index.html

I also want this but I'll have to do a lot persuading to convince Santa I've been this nice... http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/11/0 ... ve-pl.html
Actually... it won't be launched til Jan 08 so Santa can feck off. I'll get this instead http://www.windup-products.com/shop/ind ... t&catId=12

This is just mean. Great pic in the link.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071105/t ... fef_1.html
Migrating songbirds shipped across US find right flight path

Extract:
CHICAGO (AFP) - Tiny songbirds caught midway through the annual migration and shipped three thousand kilometers away could figure out which way to fly to reach their winter nesting grounds, a study released Monday found.

Researchers trapped 30 white-crowned sparrows as they made their annual migration from breeding grounds in Alaska to winter nesting sites in the southwestern United States and Mexico.

The birds were flown in the windowless pet compartments of commercial jets from the west coast city of Seattle, Washington to New Jersey, a state some 3,700 kilometers (2,200 miles) away on the east coast of the United States.

A few days later the birds were released with a tiny radio transmitter attached to a piece of cotton glued between their shoulders.

Their flight paths were followed by researchers on the ground and in a small plane and a very simple pattern emerged: the 15 adult birds realized they needed to fly southwest to get to their nesting grounds while the 15 juveniles, who had never made the trip before, simply continued to fly south.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Why is it always the Germans?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071107/od_ ... 1FKJ.dk3QF
Serial killer proves hit on German advent calendar

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German advent calendar for children has become a hot seller since word got out it has a picture of a notorious serial killer on it.

The cartoon calendar shows Fritz Haarmann, who murdered 24 young men and boys in the 1920s, lurking under a tree with a hatchet next to the door for December 1. Below him, Santa Claus hands out presents to children in a festive-looking Hanover.

A local tourism office included the serial killer alongside 23 other celebrities in the northern city, including philosopher Gottfried Leibniz and hard rock band The Scorpions.

Haarmann's depiction featured in last year's edition, but this year it is attracting wider attention because top-selling newspaper Bild questioned whether the use of the murderer in a children's calendar was in good taste.

"People are queuing up to buy the calendar now," said a surprised Hans Nolte, director of the city's tourism board.

Nolte said he expected the initial 20,000 copy run of the calendar to sell out soon as orders were pouring in from Berlin, Vienna and other parts of Austria. Proceeds from the sales are going towards a local charity for children with cancer.

"It's part of our history," Nolte said. *

Nonetheless, the serial killer, who was beheaded in 1925, will not appear in next year's edition, Nolte said.

* Yeah, right. Hitler's part of yer history too. Maybe he'll make next year's calendar, eh?
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:15 pm

MnT are rich but they're not this rich. 'Course, my read of the deal with CC is on the same terms as one of those over hyped record deals; if they deliver on records sales, 80 million could be theirs. I think the 'promised' 75m is the same for 'Our Heroes(tm) MnT' in that the magical 75 m will be generated from ad revenue/sales in the future. Therefore, it's possible that they could be richer than 75m! Fingers crossed for that super-plane boys.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007 ... neindustry

The world's 13th richest man has set a new standard for billionaire opulence with the first VIP order for the A380 superjumbo.

Saudi prince Alwaleed bin Talal, who topped the Forbes Arabia rich list last year, has invested a small piece of his estimated $20.3bn (£9.8bn) fortune in an Airbus "Flying Palace", which is priced out of most tycoons' range with a retail price of $310m.

------------------------------------------

Bono is much too busy making vasts amount of money, moving it to tax saving areas and investing his money to make more money to watch SP never mind read SPS BBS. Besides, he has no sense of humour about himself. This is Bono's idea of 'funny' when he received his honorary BRITISH (?!?) knighthood earlier this year - He said: "You have permission to call me anything you want except Sir." But he did suggest alternatives: "Lord of lords, your demi-godness," he joked....

Bono would do well to read this guy's obituary. This is a man who actually DID something in his lifetime for other people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/st ... 32,00.html

Rev Chad Varah - Died 95 years of age, retired at 92; obtained a degree in philosophy, politics & economics, went into the church, eventually founded the Samaritans 'listening therapy' service, wrote children's comic book strips at night, husband and father of five kids.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 pm

iPhones found their way to the 'island of Ireland' (as we're wont to say in these parts) when it was launched in Belfast a few days ago. Using more than one finger to access the features that you've already have on your mobile isn't really that big a deal. Opposable thumbs have thus far proved quite useful to our species.
Belfast rings with muted response to iPhone launch
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/irelan ... 40255.html

Northern Ireland was caught in the grip of "revolutionary" mobile phone fever last night when Apple's iPhone finally made its appearance on the island of Ireland - but exclusively at this moment in the Northern Ireland jurisdiction, writes Gerry Moriarty, Northern Editor

To be more precise, Northern Ireland's response to the much-hyped iPhone was calm and restrained. Taking the activity at Castlecourt shopping complex in the centre of Belfast as a guide, the North is interested - but not that interested.

A queue of 20 people waited outside the O2 shop in the centre for the shutters to open. Security guards were present, as were five or six women in O2 uniforms, handing out bottles of water in case anyone should faint from the excitement. No such fear.
---------------------------------

I dunno why but I'm always surprised at how strong brands and branding is in the US. I thought PF Changs was some tucked away local eatery, not a national homogenous McD's-like chain. They're happy with this un-solicited advertising. I only recently found out that City Wok is also a chain. :cry:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/artic ... z1113.html
South Park makes No. 2 with P.F. Chang's

If anything, P.F. Chang's China Bistro has a sense of humor.

The Scottsdale-based restaurant chain took a starring role in a recent episode of Comedy Central's "South Park" - and it's not the first time.
--------------------------------
I KNEW IT!Skinny women & men make me feel a bit weird, seriously. Now I know why-it's cos of extra time it takes to over-explain & speak more slowly to them... hehehehe :wink:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7090300.stm
Curvy women may be a clever bet

Women with curvy figures are likely to be brighter than waif-like counterparts and may well produce more intelligent offspring, a US study suggests.

Researchers studied 16,000 women and girls and found the more voluptuous performed better on cognitive tests - as did their children.

The bigger the difference between a woman's waist and hips the better.

Who knew size mattered?!?
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:38 am

Keejit wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/business/artic ... z1113.html
South Park makes No. 2 with P.F. Chang's

If anything, P.F. Chang's China Bistro has a sense of humor.

The Scottsdale-based restaurant chain took a starring role in a recent episode of Comedy Central's "South Park" - and it's not the first time.

Well, I guess that answers my FAQ question about whether they rip on Chang's out of love or genuine disinterest. ...Although, if they didn't like it, they'd probably call it PF F4ggs or something.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:14 pm

I think me & BRMbug are the only eejits who bother to read this bleedin thing! Why the hell do I bother?!? Well, today's the last day anyhoo...

So I can put in extracts from one of my fav poems...just cos...
Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.

I love this lyric, (from a tongue-in-cheek tribute song to Bruce Springsteen) - Some things hurt more, much more than cars and girls...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7091904.stm

Man hurt using gun to change tyre
A US man has injured himself in both legs after attempting to loosen a stiff wheel-nut by blasting it with his gun.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UTDR11
Another item for my Crimbo list

With a wholly unreliable combination of knowledge of SPS gleaned from Production Blogs, SP episodes, other MnT work and dubious comedy 'approved' by MnT they like eg, Little Britian (pleeze, no), Kenny vs Spenny (meh), Borat (to believe any of this is funny, you have to laugh, right?), I have surmised with no real basis whatsoever that if SP had official internal memo paper it would have pics of Rainbow Brite, Care Bears & My Lil Pony on it but that it would be 'perfumed' with the farts of one who had consummed too much spicey chicken.

This bee-oo-tiful story could be the solution to all those who haven't found 'the one' yet!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_ ... jQpo3tiBIF
Man in India marries dog as atonement

NEW DELHI - A man in southern India married a female dog in a traditional Hindu ceremony as an attempt to atone for stoning two other dogs to death — an act he believes cursed him — a newspaper reported Tuesday.

P. Selvakumar married the sari-draped former stray named Selvi, chosen by family members and then bathed and clothed for the ceremony Sunday at a Hindu temple in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, the Hindustan Times newspaper said.

Byeeeee SP for nearly 4 months of your long paid vaykay.

------------------------
EDIT
Just one more lil gem I had to share
Ireland has second highest rate of alcohol consumption in developed world - report

Tuesday November 13 2007

Ireland has the second highest consumption of alcohol in the western developed world, according to a report on health from the OECD which was released today.

It also shows that we're just below average when it comes to the amount of money spent on health care.

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's 'Health at a Glance' report places Ireland above the average for life expectancy for western developed nations at 79.5 years.

Infant mortality rates are below average, while Ireland comes sixth in the survey for the amount of adults who say their health is good, very good or excellent.

Health spending as a percentage of gross national income is 8.8%, just below the OECD average of 9%.

'Course, I'm reading this going - 'who's first? Who the hell f*cking beat us???'
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:18 am

Here's one fer ya!
Tree man 'who grew roots' may be cured
There's pictures in there, as well as a video.

An Indonesian fisherman who feared that he would be killed by tree-like growths covering his body has been given hope of recovery by an American doctor - and Vitamin A.
Dede, now 35, baffled medical experts when warty "roots" began growing out of his arms and feet after he cut his knee in a teenage accident.
But now an American dermatology expert who flew out to Dede's home village south of the capital Jakarta claims to have identified his condition, and proposed a treatment that could transform his life.
After testing samples of the lesions and Dede's blood, Dr Anthony Gaspari of the University of Maryland concluded that his affliction is caused by the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), a fairly common infection that usually causes small warts to develop on sufferers.

There's pictures in there, as well as a video.

There's also a link on that page to a story about a man who was put on probation after having sex with a bicycle. I'll leave it to you to find though. [bad regis impersonation]If that's your KINK![/bad regis impersonation]
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:24 pm

Feck drawing a couple of sketches of Muhammad - don't ever call your teddy bear after him....

Teacher faces 40 lashes for calling teddy Muhammad

Rob Crilly in Khartoum

A British teacher is facing 40 lashes from police in Sudan where she has been accused of insulting Islam after naming a teddy bear Muhammad.

Gillian Gibbons (54) was being questioned at a police station in the capital Khartoum yesterday.

She had been working at one of the city's exclusive British schools for the past three months since giving up her job in Liverpool.

Police arrived at the old-fashioned brick-and-stone buildings of the Unity High School on Sunday to arrest Ms Gibbons after a complaint from parents that she had named the teddy after Islam's most holy prophet.

An angry mob shouted death threats as she was taken away.

The school remained closed yesterday and children were sent home for fear of reprisals from Islamic extremists.

Robert Boulos, the school's director, said the teacher had made an innocent mistake. "We have lost one of our best teachers.

"She was maybe a little naive but she really had no idea what she was doing, " he said.

The teddy bear had been brought to school by one of Ms Gibbon's six- and seven-year-old pupils as part of a project.

They were asked to take the bear home each weekend and keep a diary of his activities.

The class voted on a name and settled on Muhammad - also the name of one of the most popular pupils.

"She has done nothing wrong but now we are very concerned that there's a risk to the school and the students from the men in the street," said Mr Boulos.

He added that the problem only came to light last week after parents complained to the ministry of education.

The school would stay closed until January, he said.

Unity is one of a number of British schools in Khartoum that cater for the children of well-heeled Sudanese professionals or expat oil and aid workers.

Many of the school's teachers are exiles from the British education system, looking for adventure or better pay.

They find themselves in a country ruled by conservative Muslims, where Islamic law was introduced in 1983.

The country's religious leaders hosted Osama bin Laden during the 1990s.

Sudanese women must cover their heads and alcohol is banned.

One mother, whose seven-year-old son had hosted the teddy bear for a weekend, said her family had not been offended by the name.

"Our Prophet Muhammad tells us to be forgiving. So she should be released.

"She didn't mean any of this at all," she said, inside the school courtyard.

A spokesman for the British embassy said consular staff had been to visit Ms Gibbons in her cell.

"She was clearly shaken up but otherwise well," he said.

© 2007 The Irish Times
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:22 pm

FREE SOUTH PARK with every purchase over $20 or more... Not! But really FREE South Park online - in all seriosity.

Let the $75m ad revenue start a-rolling in...to MnT's bank accounts

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?art ... 5720071129

MTV to offer all "South Park" clips online
Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:55pm EST

By Kenneth Li

NEW YORK (Reuters) - MTV Networks plans to make every clip from every episode of the hit animated comedy "South Park" available for free online next year as part of a strategy to reach consumers everywhere.

The decision from the biggest division of media conglomerate Viacom Inc follows on the heels of the "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," whose popularity online has helped boost television viewership.

MTV Networks' Comedy Central channel network began offering in October some 13,000 "Daily Show" videos dating back to 1999.

Presenting versions of TV shows online has not hurt television ratings, and may have actually helped.

"One does not diminish the other by any stretch of the imagination. That is kind of our hat trick," MTV Networks Chairman and Chief Executive Judy McGrath said at the Reuters Media Summit in New York on Wednesday.

In August, Comedy Central signed an extension of a deal with "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and agreed to create a new joint venture to spread "South Park" materials across the Web, on mobile phones and video games.

So far, the venture, SouthParkStudios.com, features a small collection of video clips from the show.

Bernstein Research said on Wednesday cable network ratings at several of Viacom's channels spiked in November, led by MTV, reversing a steep decline earlier in the year.

Other shows from the 20-year archives of MTV Networks could also get the same online treatment, but executives stopped short of naming other properties.

"'The Daily Show' was the first out of the gate and it's been a big success and it's a nice little model for us to follow," said Mika Salmi, MTV Networks president of global digital media. "There's no limit to which shows we can use at this stage."

Once criticized for moving slowly to establish itself online, MTV Networks has aggressively expanded its digital media presence over the past year by building new Web sites and communities on the Internet and over cellphones globally.

Executives said its television content has drawn visitors to its digital properties, such as virtual world Nicktropolis and ComedyCentral.com.

But new features that let viewers grab online videos to install on a viewer's own Web page, and other tools to swap messages with content creators or other viewers, have convinced viewers to stay.

Most big TV networks, led by Walt Disney Co's ABC, have offered full-length episodes of current-season shows such as "Desperate Housewives" online, shortly after their first public broadcast.

Comedy Central's "Daily Show" is one of the few programs that offer free access to a deep archive of back videos.

Hulu, an online video joint venture of News Corp and General Electric Co's NBC Universal, is testing a service that offers portions of recent archives of hit shows.

"Clearly across MTV and VH1, we have two decades of all kinds of things from music and popular culture," McGrath said, responding to a question about what else could be offered.

Elsewhere across the company, Salmi said a just-launched mobile video social network, myMTV in Japan, is being considered for expansion into other regions, possibly the United States.

MTV also began selling new music-based video game "Rock Band" last week, and executives said copies of the game were "flying off shelves." The game competes against the popular "Guitar Hero" franchise, owned by Activision Inc

Reuters/Nielsen
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Sure to elegantly adorn any home, church or animated studios office space or corridor (!), celebrate Christmas with this traditional nativity scene with an added ironic twist to show the Magi's the arrival as it would probably be depicted today.

Picture: http://www.shipoffools.com/kitschmas/13 ... y_set.html

Click here to order!!!
http://www.amostrust.org/resources/inde ... &parent=88
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:52 am

Dallas Morning News: Rockwall woman had mom shoot her husband

Please note the pictures in the story:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... ec3eb.html
omg, the mother looks like she keeps a spit-cup on the end of her ironing board next to the Faultless and the Coke bottle with the sprinkler-cork.

Rowlett police say a married woman who was having an online affair wanted her husband dead.

So she had her mother shoot him in the back of the head after serving him a slice of cake, Rowlett police spokesman John Ellison said.

Robin Handel, 44, of Rockwall was arrested Thursday on a charge of conspiracy to commit aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the Nov. 30 shooting of her husband, Stephen Handel, Mr. Ellison said.

"The investigation pointed to [Ms. Handel] having some type of online relationship with an unknown person," Mr. Ellison said. "The investigation doesn't show that this individual is involved at this time."

Mr. Handel, 38, survived the shooting at the Dalrock Meadows Mobile Home Park in the 8700 block of Lakeview Parkway. The bullet was fired from a small-caliber gun and apparently didn't penetrate his skull, police said.

After the shooting, Ms. Handel's 71-year-old mother, Janelle Thompson, barricaded herself in her home for about 90 minutes. When she came out, police noticed she had shot herself twice in the chest.

Ms. Thompson underwent surgery and was arrested the day after the shooting on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, Mr. Ellison said. She was being held at the Dallas County Jail on Thursday night in lieu of $5,000 bail.

Ms. Handel was being held at the Rowlett Jail, where her bail information was not available.

The moral to the story; don't accept sugary confection from your mother in-law if she lives in a trailer.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Moron Arrested After Driving Truck Into House

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321108,00.html

Note to Mr. Moron: Don't act like one.

Bryan Scott Moron, 20, of Burleson, Texas, was arrested Friday after he lost control of his truck and struck a mailbox, then a house, MyFOXDFW.com reports.

Living up to his surname, Moron failed sobriety tests, the station said. The arrest report showed his blood alcohol level to be more than twice the legal limit.

Moron, a restaurant server, was also driving at an excessive speed, according to the report.

Click here for more from MyFOXDFW.com
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 pm

That's beauty, BRMbug mate.

If I were 16 & living in Melbourne, AussieLand, I think I would be slightly in love with this mad bastard. 'Course, now he's famous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdQJQyZWBaM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/sto ... 71,00.html

Youth, 16, faces £10,000 bill - and livid parents - after 'best party ever'
Helen Pidd, Tuesday January 15, 2008, The Guardian

Extract:
It caused almost £10,000 (approx $19,600) of damage, involved mass underage drinking and required 30 police officers, a police helicopter and the police dog squad to break up. But it was still "the best party ever", according to the Australian teenager currently under investigation for throwing a raucous bash when his parents went away on holiday.

Corey Delaney, 16, of Melbourne, could face a bill to pay for the havoc caused by the 500 marauding teenagers who attended the party at his home on Saturday.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Oh, snap. :lol:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”