Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Re: Unusual News Item O'de Day

Postby Big-Will » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:09 am

I already locked a thread about that topic; pray that I don't lock this one too. Which means, don't start any arguments here about it, or there will be bannings.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:05 pm

That warning/threat is unnecessary and is deliberately provocative.

You're bringing undue attention and a hostile tone to a thread which by design has intentionally been and will continue to be, information and reading based.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Hey, it's better than people complaining that I ban them without warning. :)
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:12 pm

The point is that a threat of a ban was completely unnecessary to begin with.
------------------------------------

This is so ridiculous I don't know where to start?!? Hobbits ain't got nothin' on this guy. http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... e&bbcws=2#

In Italy, football is more important than religion, sometimes...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080310/od_ ... Fj8oSs0NUE
Priest sent off for throwing shirt at referee

ROME (Reuters) - A footballing priest has been sent off in a church tournament for throwing his shirt at the referee, Italian media reported Sunday.

The incident, reminiscent of Antonio Cassano's red card for Sampdoria last weekend, happened in the Clericus Cup with the actions of the Burkina Faso priest leading to Paul the Apostle's College being eliminated.

In a memorable day for Italian amateur football, the president of minor league club Doria has decided to pull his side out of the championship, the division below Serie C, because of anger at refereeing decisions.

"We are retiring the team," Franco De Rose told Italy's ANSA news service. "We are tired of having to submit to injustices every Sunday."
-------------------
Who isn't, eh? In fact, any day of the week!
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:15 pm

This is, well - it's a story, it's about, erm, .... jaysus. Two years - seriously TWO YEARS - the feckin eejit, so called friend didn't get help for two bleedin years. And where the hell did he go to the loo??? Like I said, jaysus...

Sheriff: Kansas woman sat on boyfriend's toilet for 2 years; didn't want to leave bathroom

WICHITA - Authorities are considering charges in the bizarre case of a woman who sat on her boyfriend's toilet for two years - so long that her body was stuck to the seat by the time the boyfriend finally called police.

Ness County Sheriff Bryan Whipple said it appeared the 35-year-old Ness City woman's skin had grown around the seat. She initially refused emergency medical services but was finally convinced by responders and her boyfriend that she needed to be checked out at a hospital.

"We pried the toilet seat off with a pry bar and the seat went with her to the hospital," Whipple said. "The hospital removed it."

Whipple said investigators planned to present their report Wednesday to the county attorney, who will determine whether any charges should be filed against the woman's 36-year-old boyfriend.

"She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just physically stuck by her body," Whipple said. "It is hard to imagine. ... I still have a hard time imagining it myself."

He told investigators he brought his girlfriend food and water, and asked her every day to come out of the bathroom.

"And her reply would be, 'Maybe tomorrow,"' Whipple said. "According to him, she did not want to leave the bathroom."

The boyfriend called police on Feb. 27 to report that "there was something wrong with his girlfriend," Whipple said, adding that he never explained why it took him two years to call.

Police found the clothed woman sitting on the toilet,her sweat pants down to her mid-thigh. She was "somewhat disoriented," and her legs looked like they had atrophied, Whipple said.

"She said that she didn't need any help, that she was OK and did not want to leave," he said.

She was reported in fair condition at a hospital in Wichita, about 150 miles southeast of Ness City. Whipple said she has refused to cooperate with medical providers or law enforcement investigators.

Authorities said they did not know if she was mentally or physically disabled.

Police have declined to release the couple's names, but the house where authorities say the incident happened is listed in public records as the residence of Kory McFarren. No one answered his home phone number.

The case has been the buzz Ness City, said James Ellis, a neighbor.

"I don't think anybody can make any sense out of it," he said.

Ellis said he had known the woman since she was a child but that he had not seen her for at least six years.

He said she had a tough childhood after her mother died at a young age and apparently was usually kept inside the house as she grew up. At one time the woman worked for a long-term care facility, he said, but he did not know what kind of work she did there.

"It really doesn't surprise me," Ellis said of the bathroom incident. "What surprises me is somebody wasn't called in a bit earlier."
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:08 pm

I just heard about this on the radio as you were probably typing it. It's a very "what the hell" story. She must have been severely scarred mentally to stay there that long.

I have a story about a local woman throwing her children, then herself off an overpass, and the kids surviving, but for some reason I can't get the link to the story to work right now. I'll keep trying though.

Edit: Here's the link:
Family was on a rocky road before mother flung boys, self from I-30 overpass
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 pm

I posted in another thread about how selfish, self centred people are the successful, strong survivors in the human race. Here's an example. A mad example but a valid one none-the-less.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/mar/14/murder.cats
Pensioner cleared of murder despite 'confessing' to cats

Friday March 14 2008.

Pensioner David Henton, who was accused of killing his partner then confessing to his cats, was cleared of murder and manslaughter today.

Henton, 73, a former lorry driver of Neath, south Wales, was accused of brutally bludgeoning Joyce Sutton to death after "snapping" in January 2006.

But a jury at Swansea crown court cleared him after a seven-week trial in which they heard that police secretly bugged his home and car and apparently caught him confessing murder to the murder to his pet cats, Twinkie and Pudsey.

There were gasps from the public gallery as the forewoman of the jury declared that Henton was not guilty of murder and the alternative charge of manslaughter.

Justice Grigson thanked the jury of nine women and three men for their patience during the 41 days of the trial.

As Henton was led from court by his solicitors, the family of Joyce Sutton hurled abuse at him. Anna Sutton, the daughter-in-law of the victim, had to be held back from attacking the pensioner outside the court.

Detective Sgt Dave Peart of South Wales police said: "We acknowledge the not guilty verdict at Swansea crown court earlier today. Out thoughts are with the family of Joyce Sutton. They can be assured that we will continue to support them where we can."

He added: "No decision has yet been made as to whether the case will be reopened."
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:30 am

(le post a double-je suis desole)
Last edited by Keejit on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Twas Paddy’s Day yesterday so obviously nothing else happened in the whole wide world except for meself walking through my beloved city trying to avoid marauding groups of drunken tourists and teenagers all wearing the most hideous headgear in sickly shades of green. The begorrahness would kill ye.

I know this guy who is incapable of taking any responsibility for his own bad actions. The whole scientific law of cause and effect is an anathema to him especially if he causes hurt or upset and (insert deity name here) forbid, should apologise. He and Heather Mills would get along like a house on fire particularly now that she’s worth £24.3m ($48.7m). Self-delusion + the love of money = pure classy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7300931.stm
Mills awarded £24.3m settlement

Extract:
Ms Mills made reference to the £35,000 a year their daughter would receive.

"Beatrice only gets £35,000 a year - so obviously she's meant to travel B class while her father travels A class, but obviously I will pay for that."

The settlement equated to £17,000 ($34,000) for every day of the couple's marriage.

There was speculation why Sir Paul McCartney's lawyer Fiona Shackleton left the court with her hair looking wet.

The BBC called Heather Mills who said Ms Shackleton had been "baptised in court", but did not say whether she had thrown water at the lawyer.
---------------------------

- Did Didddy do it? I don’t wanna do it if Diddy did it.
- Diddy did do that.
- Did Diddy do this?
- Diddy didn’t do that.

What in hell is going on? I suppose Diddy knows!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7302112.stm
P Diddy denies Tupac allegations

Extract:
Rapper P Diddy has called a report claiming he was behind the 1994 shooting of hip-hop star Tupac Shakur "completely untrue" and "a lie".

The musician said the allegations, published on the Los Angeles Times website, were "beyond ridiculous".

The publication said their claims were based on FBI records, witness accounts and other unnamed sources.
silke666

Postby silke666 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 pm

it's bit older news, but i've been following it even since it was published in the newspapers.

most of you must have heard of the former model/un ambassador Waris Dirie?!
she claims to have been abducted and raped by a cab driver in brussels. which is a whole lot of b*s*t.
most things she says in the video are far from reality. and by then she had changed her story like three times.
the chance of being abducted as a so called bl*ck woman in brussels is very unlikely, knowing that brussels is a multicultural city and has pretty much anything from africans to chinese, to whatever other culture.
i'm not saying abductions and rapping do not happen in brussels. just that it's unlikely she gets picked out randomly.

watch and see for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK3KnQVerk
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:05 pm

I'm actually somewhat lost for words, which is kinda news in itself. Did Dr Doctor perform this operation? Total bummer.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 95,00.html

Pensioner gets bum's rush on op
March 19, 2008 12:00am

A GERMAN pensioner is taking a hospital to court after she turned up for a leg operation - and got a new anus instead.

The woman woke up to find she had been mixed up with another patient suffering from incontinence who was to have surgery on her sphincter.

The clinic in Hochfranken, Bavaria, has since suspended the surgical team.

Now the woman is planning to sue the hospital - although she still needs the leg operation and is searching for another hospital to do it.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:10 am

You don't have to but you might take a look at this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7305270.stm - just cos.

Filippinos are very devotedly Catholic. i visited the country around All Soul's Day (Nov 1st) many years ago which is a big festival there. Families spend the day and/or the night in a cemetry with their dead loved ones. So you can understand that they may get a bit carried away at Easter.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080319/t ... 81b96.html

Philippines warns 'crucifixion bad for health'

MANILA (AFP) - Philippine health officials Wednesday warned people taking part in Easter crucifixions and self-flagellation rituals to get a tetanus shot first and sterilise the nails to avoid infections.

Every Good Friday in this predominately Roman Catholic Southeast Asian nation dozens of men re-enact the crucifixion of Jesus Christ by having themselves nailed to wooden crosses.

At the same time hundreds of others, mostly men, strip to the waist and whip themselves until their backs are cut and bloody as a way of atoning for their sins over the past year.

The Catholic church frowns upon the crucifixions and self flagellations which have become a tourist attraction in a number of towns around the country.

The department of health issued a health warning advising people taking part in the rituals this Friday to have tetanus shots and to check the condition of the whip they will use before lashing their backs.

It warned that dirty whips could lead to tetanus and other infections.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque said that as was hard to discourage "flagellants from whipping their own flesh, the best penitents can do is ensure that their whips are well-maintained."

According to the Manila Times, in San Fernando City, Pampanga, some 23 people, including two women, plan to reenact the crucifixion on Friday.

"We are not trying to go against the Lenten tradition here because whipping has somewhat already become some form of 'atonement for sins' for some of us," Duque said.

"But this advice is important to make sure that no one will land in the hospital due to tetanus or other infections that penitents might get in the process," he said.

The health department has also warned that the six-inch (15-centimetre) nails used in crucifixions should be sterilised.
----------------------
Catholicism was always questionably kinky.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Condoleeza Rice says that Hillary Clinton's passport file has been breached, which I can only assume means it had a difficult birth.

Is California kinda weird? There the tips thing (more below) and then this actor with an impossibly girly name, Shia LeBoef, has been found not guilty of lighting a cigarette where he shouldn't have. Jaysus.

Years ago I lit cigarette, outside, in the open air, away from anyone, of the LA County Museum of Art. A security guard approached me and told me I couldn't smoke that close to the building (the building?!?) so I moved several metres away - which I was more than glad to do.

It's a complete pain to have to deal with huge amount of 'tipping' (supplementing an adult's working income cos employers won't pay them properly) cos paying twice (ie, tipping) for a service and/or goods and isn't the norm anywhere else in the world as much as it is in the US. Lots of Americans I know who've spent time abroad & in Europe say they absolutely love not having to tip all the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7308233.stm
Starbucks must pay $100m in tips

A US judge has ordered Starbucks to repay its California coffee-makers more than $100m (£50m) in tips that were paid to shift supervisors.

San Diego Superior Court Judge Patricia Cowett said the coffee-makers - "baristas" - were entitled to $86m in back tips, plus interest.

She issued an injunction banning supervisors from sharing future tips.

She said the practice broke a state law barring managers and supervisors from obtaining a share of employee tips.

A Starbucks spokeswoman, Valerie O'Neil, said the company planned to appeal against the ruling, which she described as "fundamentally unfair and beyond all common sense and reason".

The lawsuit was filed in October 2004 by Jou Chou, a former Starbucks barista in La Jolla, California.

In 2006 the suit was granted class action status, allowing it to go forward on behalf of as many as 100,000 former and current baristas in the chain's California stores.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:04 am

I was watching a hideous 'documentary' the other night on digital, and berating meself for continuing to watch it, about a UK celeb gossip mag 'journalist' following the vile paps that make incredible money out of watching and photographing the Britney disaster happen in front of their very eyes - literally. The UK journo's magazine buys these photos all the time. The irony was totally lost on him and he loved the chase - but I watched till the end. Yup - shame on me.

At the end of the program, one Editor of a US gossip mag said that Brit can make a come back - as long as she looks good. That's how shallow we all are - or can be. As we should all know by now, the Western world love, enjoy, champion anyone who looks good - or gets a make-over! This is the point where I start to contemplate where I could possbly trade my 'smarts' for good looks - cos it works better.

In that spirit - here's a very different beauty pagent a-happening in Africa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7315448.stm
Angola to host landmine pageant
By Mary Harper
BBC News

Landmine victims are to take part in a beauty contest in Angola, where tens of thousands have been injured by mines.

The pageant has been organised by Angola's de-mining commission, and aims to restore the confidence of victims and raise awareness of their plight.

Millions of mines were planted in Angola during a 27-year civil war that ended in 2002.

The "Miss Landmine Survivor" contest will be held on 2 April in a luxury hotel in the Angolan capital, Luanda.

Eighteen women will take part, one from every province in the country.

All of the contestants have been maimed by landmines.

The co-ordinator of Angola's de-mining commission, Madalena Neto, says the aim of the competition is to restore self-esteem in women injured in mine explosions, and to show that there is beauty in all people.

She says she wants the contestants to become ambassadors for victims of landmines.

Tens of thousands of Angolans have lost limbs or suffered other injuries in mine explosions.

And they continue to do so, even though the war ended six years ago.

It is rare to visit an Angolan town or village without seeing people struggling to cook, care for children or otherwise get on with their lives whilst struggling with a stick or, if they are lucky, a pair of crutches or an artificial limb.

The UN says that, despite an extensive de-mining programme, millions of landmines remain littered across Angola - and this means great stretches of the country are still out of bounds, too dangerous to farm or to travel through.

Perhaps the "Miss Landmine Survivor" contest will remind the rich and powerful in central Luanda that there is still a lot of work to be done, both in terms of ridding the country of landmines and of improving the lives of their victims.
----------------
As an aside - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7299221.stm - Tibet/China current conflict info - if ya want it!
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 pm

Nipple Rings A Threat to Airport Security?

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=8079486&nav=9qrx

A woman was forced by the Transportation Security Administration to remove her nipple rings before she was allowed to board a flight, Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred said Thursday.

"The woman was given a pair of pliers in order to remove the rings in her nipples," said Allred. "The rings had been in her nipples for many years." [OUCH!]

TSA spokesman Dwayne Baird said: "I'd be really curious to know what this woman had in her nipples, Sometimes they have a chain between their nipples, or a chain between their nipples and their belly button. It would have to be made of heavy metal to be detected."

I think we are all curious now. :wink:

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”