Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 pm

My ambition is to have an ambition.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Keejit wrote:If yer going to be a preachy annoying bastard make sure the media don't catch you out cos people (me) love those stories, especially if your name is Al Gore. The story is at pains to point out The Gores use CFLs. CFLs!!! Wow. Way to lead the way on yer carbon footprint dudes! I don't know anyone who doesn't use CFLs.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/28022007/397/g ... lls-0.html

Gore feels the heat over fuel bills
Wednesday February 28, 10:00 AM

<article snipped>

Gore's mansion uses more expensive energy generated by renewable sources. So while his electrical bill may be way more than a similar sized facility, the energy consumed is significantly less. The right wing front group that dug up this tidbit and spread it around to the media conveniently left that part out. They just came out sceaming "Al Gore's a hypocrite! Look at the size of this bill!"

Now there's an inconvenient truth...

You read it! You can't unread it!
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:40 am

Happy St David's day (patron saint of Wales) and World Book day!

Is this The real Secret - keeping yer loo spotlessly clean and polished?!
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/01032007/80-13 ... japan.html

Superstition sparks toilet cleaning craze in Japan
Thursday March 1, 07:02 AM

TOKYO (Reuters) - Cleanliness has long been next to godliness for the hygiene-conscious Japanese, but fortune-tellers are now advising those who want to succeed in life to start by scrubbing the smallest room.

"Cleaning the toilet to attract luck" published this month is the latest in a series of books advising readers on how to attract good fortune using a brush and an array of cleaning fluids.

"Don't just wipe the floor, polish it," the book instructs. "It's important to maintain a positive mood while cleaning."

The books are inspired by Buddhist teachings and feng shui, a traditional Chinese belief that people's fortunes are determined by their surroundings.

The idea that Lady Luck may be hiding in the lavatory has been taken up by magazines and television programmes.

"I won the lottery! I married my ideal person! I got pregnant!" read some of the claims on the cover of another book on the topic, published last year.

The idea that a clean toilet can bring good fortune, or even make you more beautiful, has existed in Japan for many years, according to Yuka Soma of Makino Publishing in Tokyo, editor of one of the toilet books.

But she is still waiting for a big stroke of luck.

"I've always cleaned my toilet every day, so it never really gets dirty," she said. "At least it's easy that way and it probably helps keep my family healthy," she said.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 pm

^^^

If keeping your toilet clean brings you good luck, then I'm f*cking screwed.

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:05 am

Me too! Me too!
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:25 am

If that were true, I'd be dead right now. Lol, I'd be like Kenny used to... dying in a new horrible way each day that is. Besides, can you polish asbestos tiles?

Edit: Actually, you wanna hear something unlucky and bathroom related? ( :evil: Minds out of the gutter right now people!) When I replaced the sink in the hall bathroom, I decided to clean and wax the floor. It took me 2 hours to do it on my hands and knees (and the room's not that big either. Then I installed the new sink, and put in shut off valves, where there previously were none. Well, apparently one of the nuts had a flaw in it, and it cracked, flooding the bathroom. I didn't find out until the next morning. It even soaked the carpet in the hall, got through the wall into the closet of the bedroom next to it, and ruined my wax job too.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:06 pm

Hot Fuzz is a fantastically funny film. Fact. Jolie & Pitt are adding to another to their baby collection. Super.

I wonder if people in Communist/Capitalist China can extend this stand-in principle to other parts of their lives - working, having sex, eating, torture, pretending to be Communist when they are actually capitalist ... ?

Stand-in mistress sought to take wife's abuse
ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070226/od_nm/china_mistress_dc;_ylt=Apibr4nqmhq2PGjCy.y.pW0SH9EA
Mon Feb 26, 8:25 AM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese businessman has advertised on the Internet for a stand-in mistress to be beaten up by his wife to vent her anger and to protect his real mistress, Chinese media reported on Monday.

"When the woman found out her husband had a mistress, she insisted on beating her up," the Beijing Youth Daily said, citing the advertisement posted on a popular online jobs forum on sina.com.

More than 10 people had applied for the job, the newspaper said. The "successful" candidate would be 35 and originally from northeastern China and would be paid 3,000 yuan ($400) per 10 minutes, it said.

Many Chinese businessmen keep mistresses in second homes, a trend banished after the Communists swept to power in 1949 but which has made a comeback with market reforms in recent decades.

This is a nice story. Really.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6411085.stm
Triple delight for tsunami father

A man who lost his three daughters in the Indian Ocean tsunami has become a father again - to female triplets.

Darmi Ali, who had remarried after also losing his wife when the huge waves hit the Indonesian province of Aceh in 2004, said he was "overjoyed".

"I lost my three daughters, and now they have been replaced by three other girls," he said.

Aceh was nearest to the earthquake's epicentre and lost 130,000 people, with half a million people made homeless.

Mr Ali, a 43-year-old police officer from Banda Aceh, described trying to save one of his daughters when the tsunami hit.

"I gripped onto one of my daughters but the tsunami took her away. I was also knocked over," he was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

"I tried to grab her, but I was not successful."

The three babies were to remain in hospital until they gain weight.

"They can be taken home when they weigh 2kg (4.4lb) because with that weight they can adapt to the outside environment," midwife Asma Sulaiman said.

She said the triplets' 29-year-old mother, Maryati, was also doing well.

"After my female triplets were born, all the worries have gone and turned to happiness," Mr Ali said.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 am

Swiss accidentally invade Liechtenstein Fri Mar 2, 5:32 PM ET

ZURICH, Switzerland - What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered just over a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

"We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem," Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:50 pm

^^^

And after being neutral for so long... :lol:

I was hoping the article would say the soldiers were armed with nothing but pocket knifes. :mrgreen:

Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Ireland's supposedly neutral. We may possibly be one of the most eager to fight neutral nations in the world....but don't quote me on that. Our chief weapons are rampant drunkenness, tortured poetry, endless talking, gangs of male tenors singing mother songs, begorrahness and shenanigans - to name but a few.

This is delicious. It's not a news story - simply a fact. And she's possibly a midget. Dr Phil is a girl by comparison.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/drruth.asp

Ruthless Ruth

Claim: Sexpert Dr. Ruth Westheimer served as a sniper in Israel.

Origins: Dimunitive Dr. Ruth Westheimer (4'7") is the nation's most well-known sex doctor. Though you wouldn't suspect it from the grandmotherly appearance of "Dr. Ruth," this psychosexual therapist has been dispensing frank sex advice since 1980. (Across that span of time, she says the language in which queries are phrased has become more explicit, but the questions themselves have remained the same.)

The odd juxtaposition of her appearance and professional calling is not the only surprise to Dr. Ruth: there is also the small matter of her having trained in her youth as a sniper with the Israeli Defense Force.

The future Dr. Ruth was born Karola Ruth Siegel in Germany in 1928, the only child of an Orthodox Jewish couple. In 1939, after young Karola's father had been taken by the Nazis, her mother and grandmother sent her to Switzerland to get her out of harm's way. She did not see her family again, as her mother and grandmother lost their lives in the Holocaust.

At 16, the orphaned girl moved to Israel and joined Haganah, an underground Jewish military organization. She served as a lookout and sniper but never killed anyone. Says Dr. Ruth of that interval:

"When I was in my routine training for the Israeli army as a teenager, they discovered completely by chance that I was a lethal sniper. I could hit the target smack in the center further away than anyone could believe. Not just that, even though I was tiny and not even much of an athlete, I was incredibly accurate throwing hand grenades too. Even today I can load a Sten automatic rifle in a single minute, blindfolded."

Her military career was cut short when she was seriously injured:
"My legs were almost ripped off on my 20th birthday in 1948 in Jerusalem from cannon ball shrapnel which exploded in the student's residence where I was living. Three other students were killed instantly and many more were wounded. The metal pierced both my legs, and there was blood everywhere. A cannon ball from Jordan had smashed through the window. I was thrown 20 feet. The strangest thing was that all I could think about was whether there might be some blood on the brand-new shoes I had just gotten for my birthday, and amazingly there wasn't even a drop on them, which was all I cared about in some kind of strange denial."

Ruth later moved to Paris, where she studied psychology at the Sorbonne and taught kindergarten, then immigrated to the U.S. in 1956 and obtained a Master's degree in Sociology and a Ph.D. in Education from Columbia University. A job with Planned Parenthood spurred her to study human sexuality.

Barbara "footloose" Mikkelson

Last updated: 1 March 2007
Jess_B_inCR

various & sundry

Postby Jess_B_inCR » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:21 pm

Wow, I loved that piece on Dr. Ruth. I'd heard something like that before, but never looked into it. I love her. There's just something so naughty and hilarious about this little teeny woman sitting in a chair with her short little legs swinging WAY above the floor like a muppet because she's so short they can't reach the ground...And then the crazy way she smiles and says words like "penis" and "vagina" so happily...It's weird. You can't stop looking, like at a car wreck or something...Makes ya wonder, where did she learn all that? I can't imagine her learning from "experience"....eeeeeeewwwwww

As for the article on the triplets, that was totally cool. And surprising. Aren't the people in that area mostly Muslim and Buddhist? Although Buddhists less so than Muslims, the arrival of triplet GIRLS wouldn't normally be rejoiced at as the births of boys would be...How sweet that the man was so happy that her got girls, even though culturally he probably "should have" wanted boys after all? Well, it's all booolsh*t anyway, because my very manly husband wanted more girls than the one we got...When we had twin boys he was sad in a way, because he wanted more little princesses to spoil...Cute, huh?

As for the Irish and neutrality, who's neutral, Northern Ireland or the Irish Free State? Humbly beg for info, don't feel like googling right now...As for weapons of the sons and daughters of Eire, I can personally attest to the effectiveness of Irish drunkenness to assisting the cause of neutrality...We're too hammered to do much more than mumble and ask for more beer. Hiccup. (Both me 'n me man 're of Irish blood)

Hey, anyone got an opinion on the Ann Coulter "homosexual" comment?
"I would not recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson
Keejit

Re: various & sundry

Postby Keejit » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:02 pm

Jess_B_inCR wrote:As for the Irish and neutrality, who's neutral, Northern Ireland or the Irish Free State? Humbly beg for info, don't feel like googling right now...

The Irish Free State no longer exists. Please up date your knowledge on Ireland by approx 70 years. Ireland is now ... Ireland!

This may come as surprise to you (and possibly not to many others) but Northern Ireland is still actually British. A long, arduous and more recently less violent path of protest and discussion continues on its future. So Britain isn't neutral so, ipso facto, etc etc, ...

Ireland was known as the Irish Free State from 1922, becoming Eire in 1937 and then the Republic of Ireland from 1949 when the British government finally relinquished all it's power here.

Since the Good Friday Agreement (look that up yerself), 'Ireland' is now the official name. The Republic of Ireland is still used for the football team as there is also a separate Northern Irish football team. However, the Ireland Rugby team is comprised of the entire island of Ireland which proves that its a much better & robust game than that girly soccer crap.

That long answer is brought to you not only by the Irish begorrah gift-of-the-gab but by the interesting history of this island.

Thankfully, the concept of 'sons and daughters of Eire' is a thoroughly American abomination that has nothing to do with Ireland at all, at all, at all.

BBC info on Northern Ireland - http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static ... friday.stm
Jess_B_inCR

Postby Jess_B_inCR » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Thankfully, the concept of 'sons and daughters of Eire' is a thoroughly American abomination that has nothing to do with Ireland at all, at all, at all.

That was a joke, meant to be silly and irreverant. Get a sense o' humor. And what I meant by being a "daughter of Eire" had nothing to do with the old organization of the same name, which I am assuming you were thinking I was referring to, it only means that I am a proud descendant of Irish family on both sides, along with a judicious dose of Native American (gosh, should me and my siblings've been born with an AA membership card already in hand??), and I married a man with the same background (not by seeking it out, it was just fate, I guess...). Our sons are named Connor and Colin, incidentally. Good Irish names. Those of us in the States often find it necessary to look back in our family histories in search of a cultural relevance beyond the generic American red-white-n-blue.

Thanks for the info. Notice I asked to be informed? I had studied Irish history along with European history a LONG time ago, although not 70 years. I was stuck and couldn't remember something as simple as "republic of Ireland." Geez. And to try to avoid sounding like a hypocrite, I have studied Irish history pretty extensively, up until the turn of the century. I'm not one that's big on current events. I like old stuff.

And since you're feeling enlightening, why don't you explain for those who don't know, what the heck "begorrah" means.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat.
Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí leat.
Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar do chlár éadain,
go gcuire an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt.
Agus go gcasfar le chéile sinn arís,
go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú.

Respectfully,
J
"I would not recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:05 pm

I was being humorous - dry humorous. You didn't get my humour.
Jess_B_inCR

Postby Jess_B_inCR » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:10 pm

Yeah, I guess not...although usually dry humor is the type that appeals most to me. Am a bit distracted because I'm SUPPOSED to be working, have been flipping back and forth between this and that...therefore, since both work and play are suffering, I must not be meant to be a multi-tasker...

So with that I'll concentrate on what I've gotta do right now, then come back and surf and play later...when I can actually get the jokes better. LOL :oops:

Abashedly,
J

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”