Unusual News Item O'de Day

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:50 am

In honour of Paddy's Day on Saturday here's three stories from Japan.

Japanese 'Spiderman' Steals Knickers!

Serial lingerie thief arrested
from Yahoo News

Wed Mar 14, 8:45 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Police found more than 4,000 pieces of lingerie in the home of a Japanese construction worker who used climbing skills developed on his job to steal women's underwear.

Police believe that Shigeo Kodama, 54, amassed the 3,977 panties, 355 bras and 10 pairs of stockings over a six-year period. He was arrested in February after he stole underwear from two houses, and police later raided his home.

"Since he was a construction worker, as long as he had a place to put his feet he was able to climb, so he had no trouble getting up to the second floor of apartment buildings," a police spokesman in the western Japanese city of Hiroshima said.

"He didn't steal any other kinds of clothing. But as long as it was underwear, apparently anything would do," the spokesman added.

----------------------
Whale- 1; Whalers - 1,000's. Whales need to unite to exact revenge on mankind with more expertise. How did the whale know he was trying to rescue it? It might have thought he was Norwegian!

Whale kills would-be rescuer in Japan
From Yahoo News

Tue Mar 13, 9:12 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese fisherman drowned on Tuesday after a whale he was trying to rescue capsized his small fishing boat, a coastguard official said.

Three fishermen tried to rescue the sperm whale, about 10-meter (yard) long, after it strayed into a bay off the southwestern island of Shikoku, about 800 km (500 miles) southwest of Tokyo.

But the panicked creature turned on them and struck the vessel, the coastguard official said.

A 58-year-old fisherman drowned while two other fishermen were rescued, he added.

------------------
OK, ok so they apologised - but where's the hari kiri???
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6450861.stm

Japan apology for blossom error
By Chris Hogg
BBC News, Tokyo

Weather officials in Japan have apologised on TV for a computer glitch that led them to forecast the start of the cherry blossom season incorrectly.

The short period when the delicate pink flowers bloom is keenly awaited in Japan and the Meteorological Agency is expected to give an accurate forecast.

But red-faced officials have been forced to admit that this year they got it badly wrong.

Many towns and firms plan festivals and parties for the cherry blossom season.

The bows from the embarrassed officials could not have been much deeper.

Predicting when the cherry blossoms will bloom is one of the Meteorological Agency's most closely-watched tasks and this year they got it badly wrong.

They have blamed a computer programme used to analyse weather data. It had a bug, officials have admitted.
"We have disturbed those who relied on our information," they said, "and we apologise deeply."

This might not sound that important, but working out when the cherry blossom season will begin is a very serious business in Japan.

The forecasts are used to plan festivals. Travel agents use them to plan tours.

The appeal of the cherry blossom is said to be that the flowers remind people that life is short and should be enjoyed.

It is also an excuse for a party. Salarymen and office ladies, as they are known here, get drunk under the trees each night until the blossoms fall.

In Tokyo they now say the blossoms will bloom next Wednesday, three days later than they had originally thought.

"We haven't had many complaints yet," one forecaster said, "but I expect tomorrow we'll be overwhelmed by angry phone calls."
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:02 pm

Keejit wrote:Serial lingerie thief arrested
from Yahoo News

Wed Mar 14, 8:45 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Police found more than 4,000 pieces of lingerie in the home of a Japanese construction worker who used climbing skills developed on his job to steal women's underwear.

Police believe that Shigeo Kodama, 54, amassed the 3,977 panties, 355 bras and 10 pairs of stockings over a six-year period. He was arrested in February after he stole underwear from two houses, and police later raided his home.

"Since he was a construction worker, as long as he had a place to put his feet he was able to climb, so he had no trouble getting up to the second floor of apartment buildings," a police spokesman in the western Japanese city of Hiroshima said.

"He didn't steal any other kinds of clothing. But as long as it was underwear, apparently anything would do," the spokesman added.

*slow-clap*
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:02 pm

More whale revenge! 'I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time' - yeah, right. That's what the whale wants you to think...

Diver says whale's tail broke his leg
Thu Mar 15, 10:27 PM ET
Yahoo News

SANDY, Utah - A 50-year-old man said his femur broke "like a twig" when a humpback whale whipped her tail during an excursion in the Dominican Republic. "I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," Randy Thornton said at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital in Sandy.

Thornton said he was in shallow reefs called the Silver Banks, an area where divers are allowed to swim with humpback whales, on March 1.

The whales "slow down and let you catch up with them," said Thornton, the owner of a dive shop, Dive Addicts, in Draper.

But there was nothing playful about a mother who had a calf on her back.

"The calf woke up and got spooked and that startled the mother, who swished her big tail twice," Thornton said.

He was hit and his femur broke "like a twig."

Thornton's diving buddies made a splint out of fins and a weight belt. He said he had a nine-hour ride to shore, followed by surgery in a "prehistoric" hospital, where doctors used a sledgehammer and other tools to insert a steel rod.

"That's where the real adventure began," Thornton said

--------------------

The word 'Wiki' wins a place in the dictionary, the definition of which may include 'sometimes completely made up sh!te'. Here's one reason why ....

Daryl Sancton (http://www.southparkstudios.com/behind/interviews.php?tab=20#5) will be pleased - or not - or ... have mixed feelings and be amused. Possibly.

Comic Sinbad resurrected after online demise
Thu Mar 15, 7:15 PM ET
Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Condolences flowed for U.S. comedian Sinbad after the online encyclopaedia Wikipedia announced his death on Thursday, but it turned out the grieving was premature and the comic was alive and well.

The hoax entry said the 50-year-old entertainer, who appeared in several television series and starred in films including "Houseguest," and "Jingle All the Way," had died of a heart attack on the morning of March 14.

The news was quickly picked up by an Internet user who forwarded the e-mail link and prompted widespread mourning.

But Wikipedia spokeswoman Sandra Ordonez said the Sinbad entry had been vandalised and although the error was quickly caught and changed, some Internet users had sent e-mails with a link to the old version.

"This caused people to inadvertently change the entry throughout the day to the vandalised version," said Ordonez.

"We are currently looking into who made this edit, and have protected the page. We regret any confusion or distress this may have caused Sinbad and his fans everywhere."

Wikipedia is an online encyclopaedia that anyone can edit.

Although Sinbad, whose real name is David Adkins, could not be immediately reached for comment, his sister Donna Adkins said in an e-mail to Reuters: "For the record, Sinbad is healthy, well, alive & enjoying life!"

Ordonez said there were "various checks and balances" to make sure the information on Wikipedia was correct.

"Wikipedia is routinely vandalised and errors are caught quickly," she said.

"But we are not familiar with a case that has received as much widespread attention as this one."

-------------

Have one of these tomorrow. It's a Saturday and it would be nice for a change. They are delicious and contain some food groups that are necessary to one's well being, like whiskEy, coffee, sugar and cream. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_coffee - at time of going to 'press', this recipe was authenticated as being correct. By me.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:20 pm

Mind if I add something?

I just heard a story out of St. Paul (Sup Jen) about a 17 year old girl, whose dog went missing. Innocent enough right? Well, two weeks later, a gift-wrapped box turns up on her door step with a package of batteries on top, and a note that said "Dear (can't remember her name right now), congratulations, batteries included. She opens it up... and there was her dog's severed head staring back at her. Just right in there... with a box of valentines' candy. I've found part of the story at twincities.com, but now it wants me to register to read it, and I don't want to do that.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:44 pm

Believe me, this is VERY unusual. Ireland have never played in a Cricket World Cup before. Pakistan are former World Cricket Champions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2 ... 457689.stm

Ireland shock sends Pakistan home
Jamaica
Ireland 133-7 beat Pakistan 132 by three wickets
By Oliver Brett

Ireland produced one of the greatest victories in cricket's rich history by beating Pakistan on St Patrick's Day amid unbelievable tension in Jamaica.
Led by their brilliant wicket-keeper batsman Niall O'Brien, they reached a rain-adjusted target of 128 with three wickets remaining in near darkness.

Ireland's fans, who had been there to witness the tie against Zimbabwe, could barely contain themselves afterwards.

The result means Pakistan, ranked fourth in the world, are already out.

Wicket-keeper O'Brien, axed by Kent in 2006 because they rate Geraint Jones above him, hit a brilliant 72, easily the best effort by any of the batsmen on a green wicket which Ireland's seamer loved.

But when he tried to hit off-spinner Shoaib Malik for six with 21 needed and six wickets still in hand, he was stumped.

Panic set in as Andrew White was caught at short leg and Kyle McCallan edged to slip in the next over, off Rao Iftikhar.

But O'Brien's brother Kevin stayed to the end as he and skipper Trent Johnston scrambled the remaining runs needed.

Ireland could now lose to West Indies and still qualify for the Super Eight stage, but they are not definitely there yet.

Pakistan, on the other hand, rated fourth in the world in one-day internationals, go home.
Last edited by Keejit on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:27 pm

McDonalds are McKilljoys. No McBleeding sense of McHumour. Overly sensitive McEejits.

McDonald's to launch campaign against 'McJob' entry in dictionary
Yahoo news

Tue Mar 20, 3:41 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Fast food giant McDonald's is set to begin a campaign to redefine "McJob" entries in British dictionaries, which it believes are both incorrect and insulting to its workers, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday.

"We believe that it is out of date, out of touch with reality and most importantly it is insulting to those talented, committed, hard-working people who serve the public every day," wrote David Fairhurst, the company's chief people officer in northern Europe, the FT said.

Citing a copy of Fairhurst's letter to cultivate support for the campaign, the business daily said McDonald's plans a "high-profile public petition" to get the definition changed.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) describes a McJob as "an unstimulating, low-paid job with few prospects, esp. one created by the expansion of the service sector".

According to the FT, however, Caterer and Hotelkeeper magazine recently named the restaurant chain the "best place to work in hospitality", and McDonald's was also the first large British employer to be accredited under the government's "Investors in People" scheme.

As such, Fairhurst wrote that the definition of a McJob should be changed to "reflect a job that is stimulating, rewarding and offers genuine opportunities for career progression and skills that last a lifetime."

A spokeswoman for the OED told the FT: "We monitor changes in the language and reflect these in our definitions, according to the evidence we find."
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Ker-rist but this is sooooo wrong and wierd and ... The judge should have compelled the couple to set up a fund for the daughter's expensive and long-term future therapy.

US couple get probation for "educational" sex
Yahoo News/Reuters
Tue Mar 20, 2:49 PM ET

A Rhode Island woman who routinely had sex with her boyfriend in front of her 9-year-old daughter to teach her about sex was sentenced to three years' probation, authorities said on Tuesday.

Rebecca Arnold, 37, and David Prata, 33, who received the same sentence this week, told investigators they thought the practice would help the child to learn, prosecutors said.

"Basically, and I'm tempted to say idiotically, they believed it was helpful to the girl, Ms. Arnold's daughter; they believed it was helpful to her development to see them engaging in various sex acts in front of her," said Mike Healey, spokesman for state attorney general Patrick Lynch.

The pair told investigators that they allowed the girl to watch their sexual romps but did not compel her to.

Rhode Island Chief Family Court Judge Jeremiah Jeremiah Jr. allowed the couple from the city of Woonsocket to plead guilty and accept probation, instead of jail time, because he wanted to spare the girl the pain of a trial, local media said.

The girl mentioned the activity to her father while visiting him in Massachusetts and he reported the incident to authorities, Healey said.

On a lighter, nicer note - Bubble wrap is 50 years old today! Bubble wrap is genius. Pop some in celebration - or virtually here .http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml Not as much fun as the real thing but cute.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 pm

Read here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6478495.stm) about the new Dr Who assistant-she's V kewl. Super talented Amy Winehouse has won over youse USers! She's hella kewl. Here's a clip of her on youtube doing an acoustic cover of The Zutons' song Valerie-(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSKVv6YO8g)

The New Terence & Philip Movie Trailer is one of my all time fav episodes. Now Russell Crowe is fighting a surf film. Or directing one at least. It's gonna be hella tough - the gang's called the Bra Boys!!!

Actor Crowe 'to direct surf film'
Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe is to make his directorial debut with a film about a gang of Australian surfers, according to film trade paper Variety.

Bra Boys will be based on a real-life, Sydney-based gang of the same name.

Crowe recently narrated a documentary about the group, also called Bra Boys, which is currently number four at the Australian box office.

The Gladiator actor's only directing experience comes from documentaries about his band, 30 Odd Foot Of Grunts.

Based in the Sydney district of Maroubra, the Bra Boys are a tattooed and often violent gang, renowned for their anti-authoritarian, anti-social behaviour.

Crowe's film, like the documentary, will focus on founder members the Abberton brothers.

The siblings hit the headlines in 2003 when Jai Abberton was accused of murder.

Although he was acquitted in 2005, his brother Koby - a professional surfer - was given a suspended sentence for perverting the course of justice by withholding information about the killing.

Variety reports that the drama is being scripted by Stuart Beattie, who wrote the screenplay for Collateral and Pirates of the Caribbean.

It is not known whether Crowe will appear in the film.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/e ... 479019.stm
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:56 am

Good news (for me): It's Friday! I don't care if it doesn't mean the end of the working week to everyone. Bad news (for me): Not everyone gets to work 22 weeks a year... Good news (for one woman): in a quiz on Today FM Ireland a woman won a car and insurance for a year. Bad news (for mankind): Her chosen subject was The Family Guy...

Great article here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/entertainment/6472917.stm)about history being depicted in movies including interesting comments about the fragrant Mel Gibson.

This is a BRILL story though. Question: how did polar bears manage to survive when the earth was much warmer centuries ago? Just my global warming thought for the day! Next week I deconstruct Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion in 30 words or less!

Whale fossil is found in vineyard
By Christian Fraser
BBC News, Rome

The biggest whale fossil ever discovered in Italy has been found in one of the country's finest vineyards.

The five-million-year-old skeleton, 33ft (10m) in length, was dug up in the northern grape-growing area of Tuscany.

The vineyards of Castello Banfi, where the bones were uncovered, produce the famed Brunello de Montalcino wine, one of Italy's most prized.

The whale remains were discovered by a fossil hunter who was given special permission to poke around the vines.

The skeleton appears to be complete and, for the last month, palaeontologists from the University of Florence have been carefully digging around the terraces to extract it in one piece.

Millions of years ago, Tuscany was under water and Castello Banfi was the sea bed.

The vineyard owner, Cristina Mariani, is delighted.

"It reminds us "that this rich soil is composed of nutrients and minerals deposited millions of years ago," she says.

"It's that special earth that gives complexity to our wines."

So, if you are lucky enough to ever taste a Brunello, just savour it for that extra moment, and remember that beneath the old vines that produced it - there was an even bigger old whale.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/e ... 482859.stm
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:21 am

I saw 300. Disappointed. Lots of style, very little substance. DST kicked in over here this weekend. Strangely, it discombobulated the cat. Superb news: Dr Who is back this weekend. Crappy news: Life On Mars final ever episode next week.... bastards.

Me and my home is a virtual gadget free zone but I really want this. http://www.gearfuse.com/the-ultimate-smokers-phone-holds-real-cagarettes/

This story put a whole different perspective on 'those who can do; those who can't teach'.

Albania clamps down on school of lust
Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:01PM GMT

TIRANA (Reuters) - Four Albanian teachers have been censured for drunken and lewd behaviour in a remote village school after they had sexual intercourse behind a classroom blackboard, local reports said on Friday.

The Education Ministry sacked two male teachers, replaced the headmaster and put a female teacher on probation after incensed parents in Xhyre, near the Macedonia border, locked the schoolhouse to stop the drinking and fornication in class.

"I saw them acting shamefully through the window and I told my friends and parents," fourth-grader Elton Cuka told the Shqip daily. "They saw me and threatened to expel me from school."

Xhevahir Hohxa, father of another pupil, was indignant.

"Would you call someone a teacher who drinks raki at ten in the morning and gets drunk and chases the schoolgirls?" he demanded on Albanian television.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:19 am

Read snot poetry here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6357949.stm

Would this make a panda a Happy Panda or a Sad Panda?

What if she says his belly is bigger than the panda's in the tape? What if he wants her to shave more down there? Then she says if he spent more time down there like the guy panda in the tape she would. Then he says she should do what the girl panda did in the tape cos it looked really cool. Then she says 'na-ha, no way!', she'd rather eat bamboo and have a nap. Then says 'well do that then'. And in the end it doesn't matter cos he lost his erection ages ago anyway...

Panda shown 'porn' movies
(The Press Association) Tuesday March 27, 05:13 AM

Chuang Chuang, a giant panda, is being shown "blue" movies at a Thai zoo - to help teach him to mate with his partner Lin Hui.

Chiang Mai zoo in Chiang Mai province, northern Thailand, is screening videos of other pandas mating in a bid to get the couple "in the mood".

Chuang Chuang and Lin Hui were rented for 10 years from China for $125,000 in October 2003.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:47 am

If you go down to the woods/Arctic/Central China today ... there'll be three less bears. No picnic for them, eh?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6500187.stm Germany can't bear to part with dead bear; Italians bearing up for a fight.

http://africa.reuters.com/odd/news/usnL27559540.html Polar Bear-1; Panda Bear-0. Panda doesn't bear up to extra attention brought to bear.
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:08 am

Panda can't bear bear panda bear porn
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0327odd-pandaporn27-ON.html
Extract:
"Chuang Chuang seems indifferent to the videos; he has no reaction to what he's seeing on TV," Kanika said. "But, we're continuing to show him videos and hoping they will leave an impression."

Hilarious photo here (http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070327/ids_photos_wl/r1669278651.jpg) of Chuang Chuang having the interesting bits pointed out to him.

Mad, bad and dangerous? London Underground says this is 'dangerous, stupid and irresponsible'. You decide....! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQOlYE4EE
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:23 am

Keejit wrote:Mad, bad and dangerous? London Underground says this is 'dangerous, stupid and irresponsible'. You decide....! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqQOlYE4EE

Now if only he'd mix in a slinky. Now there you'd have something!
Keejit

Postby Keejit » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:27 am

"By the way, you can call me pretty much anything you want, except sir. You can call me lord of lords or a demi-god," he said.

GobKnight? GobShite!

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/a ... sir/353847

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”