The people on the Death Star were innocent

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Grizim

The people on the Death Star were innocent

Postby Grizim » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:39 pm

They were just good people doing their jobs and then the rebels had to come and kill them by blowing up their working environment. How would you like it if someone bombed your workplace while you were trying to work? And people call the rebels the "good guys."

Irony is not a four-letter word.

Discuss.
As enjoyable as abuse.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:00 pm

And most Nazis were just doing their jobs, following orders, not thinking about how they really felt about Jews. Many bad men have abandonded their loyal crews for dead in escaping their pursuers, like Darth Vader left all those people in the Death Star to die while he himself escaped to live another day.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Big-Will wrote:And most Nazis were just doing their jobs, following orders, not thinking about how they really felt about Jews. Many bad men have abandonded their loyal crews for dead in escaping their pursuers, like Darth Vader left all those people in the Death Star to die while he himself escaped to live another day.

Agreed. Darth Vader is a total prick.
CruciFACTION

Postby CruciFACTION » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 pm

The Death star was a millitary craft, those men knew what they were getting into. They knew they were expendable when they signed whatever contract they did. They were not civilians.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:27 pm

^^^

Yeah, that's like having an aircraft carrier bombed and sunk and then saying the dead crew were just innocent workers.

Besides, most of the Death Star crew were just clones anyway.

You read it! You can't unread it!
swellman7

Postby swellman7 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:48 am

The empire had it coming to them. Are we forgetting what they did to Alderan? They blew up an entire planet just because they wanted to test a new weapon. Everyone on the Death Star knew what was going on and they just went along with it. So, no, none of them were actually innocent.
papafrita

Postby papafrita » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:35 am

death stars had but one purpose, hallucination- equipt with a visual overlay, projection screen, 3 dimensional environment
auditory the most serious of all hallucinaton types, psychosis imminent, suicide. conscious to subconscious awareness.. minimum audio brief suggestions other senses sexual contact internal pain how much of what is real is real? if you're not looking how can you know what you hear?

so temporary, never able.. consciousness implanted in a monkey's mind, thinking of seeing instead of seeing
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:30 am

All aboard the Death Star would have been military in some way or other, so thier deaths were like a soldier getting shot on the battle field and therefore they were not the deaths of innocents(some of them may have actually been nice people but that's war)

Also it should be pointed out that several imperial admirals, genrals, and the like died in the event so many of the deaths provided a bonus to the rebelions cause.

But I think the best argument is that if the Death Star wasn't destroyed the rebels would have died and after they were out of the picture it's highly likely that Death Star would have continued to destroy more planets cause the deaths of a far greater number of innocents.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
hainted

Postby hainted » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:49 am

I didn't like either side.They all seemed like stupid hippies to me.
It's just like real life how it sucks. :lol:

I especially didn't like any of the actors playing the parts.

So once again it's just like real life. :P
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:19 pm

It's true that they were military personell, and for an Evil Galactic Empire at that, but that doesn't mean you don't feel sorry for some of the guys. Take Piett from ESB and RoTJ. He seems to be a regular guy, probably with a family at home, who just joined up with the empire to make a good living. Hell, Luke even wanted to go to the Imperial Academy, which likely would have led to his being drafted into the Starfleet. But it was still necessary to restore freedom to the galaxy. It's a tragedy of war, and it contributes to the argument that war movies are actually anti-war movies.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Hmmmm....Someone just watched Clerks...
Kyle the Skeptic

Re: The people on the Death Star were innocent

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Grizim wrote:They were just good people doing their jobs and then the rebels had to come and kill them by blowing up their working environment. How would you like it if someone bombed your workplace while you were trying to work? And people call the rebels the "good guys."

Though that probably wouldn't go for Grand Moff Tarkin, who was in charge of the whole operation.

This reminds me of the Milgram Experiment that was conducted at Yale university. Basically, student volunteers were ordered to ask a series of questions to the test subject, and then punish the subject with electrical shocks of increasing intensity whenever they got a question wrong. The experiment found that the students were still willing to obey an authority figure, even if the orders given by that figure conflicted with their personal conscience. You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

What the student volunteers didn't know was that the subjects were in fact actors who were only pretending to be shocked, so nobody really got hurt as a result.

I wouldn't worry about the Death Star crew though. They were mostly just emotionless clones of Jango Fett. :D Also, what everyone else said. The Death Star was designed to blow up planets, and had already been used to commit genocide on Alderaan. That's not exactly an innocent or unknowing act.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:09 pm

This all makes my head hurt.
Grizim

Postby Grizim » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:48 am

Before things go over-the-top, I want everyone to know that I made this thread to be absurd because it was a running joke with my friends and yes, I have recently watched Clerks.
As enjoyable as abuse.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:51 am

Grizim wrote:Before things go over-the-top, I want everyone to know that I made this thread to be absurd because it was a running joke with my friends and yes, I have recently watched Clerks.

LOL..Thought so..I love that movie. It is hilarious. I also loved Clerks 2.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”