The people on the Death Star were innocent

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Grizim

Postby Grizim » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:10 am

Yeah, Clerks II is probably the only movie sequel that isn't worse than its prequel. However, I think Clerks will always be more legendary.

Since I made this thread for Clerks I might as well make a thread for Clerks II also. "Star Wars is better than Lord of the Rings!" or some Randal reference would work fine.

I hope to God they make another View Askew movie.
As enjoyable as abuse.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:03 am

The mechanics were innocent. Their job was just to make sure their sh*t worked.
The technicians, security guards, etc. were not part of the plans. I'll bet you ten dollars that the rank and file of the imperials on the Death Star had no clue about what was going on.

On the flip side, should we feel sorry for their deaths? Not as a whole, no. On the whole, we cheer the destruction of a weapon of such power that it's existence is a sign of pure evil. On an individual scale can we mourn the deaths of people who knew no better than what they had been told? Yes.

One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:21 am

Grizim wrote:Yeah, Clerks II is probably the only movie sequel that isn't worse than its prequel. However, I think Clerks will always be more legendary.

Since I made this thread for Clerks I might as well make a thread for Clerks II also. "Star Wars is better than Lord of the Rings!" or some Randal reference would work fine.

OMG!!! The whole speech Randal made about why he thought that Starwars was better than LOTR was hilarious.

Personally, I like LOTR and Star Wars ( the original triology, not the sh*tty prequels) equally. Probably because I grew up with both of them ..When I was a kid, my parents took me to see the animated LOTR movie, and at some point, I also saw all the Star Wars movies. And, my mom read me some of the Lord of the Rings..I also had a sh*t load of Star Wars action figures.
vexille

Postby vexille » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:49 pm

The only people that constructed th DeathStar would have been military engineers and their droids. With the way Randal was describing it, was that they were a group of civic architectural engineers and construction workers building a housing complex or an office block, and not a massive and powerful weapon of mass destruction, getting slaughtered needlessly by the rebels.
The only people working on the DeathStar that would have signed a contract, would be the fleet officers for their term of service in the Imperial Navy. Not the service droids or clone troopers (for obvious reasons).
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
Nommel

Postby Nommel » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:10 pm

I agree with Grizim -- Most of the guys on the Death Star probably didn't want to die or kill other people; they were just soldiers doing what the Emperor ordered. In essence, "Just following orders," as idiotic as it sounds, was true in this situation.

Just because someone happens to wear a certain insignia on their uniform doesn't make them evil. There were probably good people that died, who joined to support their families or because they were forced to via conscription.

BTW They weren't all clones. I read a lot of Star Wars books, and according to those most of them were real people.
polymorph

Postby polymorph » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 pm

It's true that most of the people aboard the Death Star were good people and even the clones weren't evil they were just created to follow orders. But the Death Star it's self was evil and thus needed to be destroyed it's sort of a case of the greater good. Though personaly I like the Empire better than the rebels. But the C.I.S. are the coolest.
Rasputin, bring in the bucket of soapy frogs and remove his trousers
Cartman_91

Re: The people on the Death Star were innocent

Postby Cartman_91 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:48 pm

Irony is not a four-letter word.

I know its a five letter word.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:47 am

Grizim wrote:Yeah, Clerks II is probably the only movie sequel that isn't worse than its prequel.

I take it you've never seen Empire Strikes Back? And you started this thread! I could list more, but I know what you were trying to say.
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:43 pm

M00ndragon69 wrote:
Grizim wrote:Yeah, Clerks II is probably the only movie sequel that isn't worse than its prequel. However, I think Clerks will always be more legendary.

OMG!!! The whole speech Randal made about why he thought that Starwars was better than LOTR was hilarious.

I've totally used that argument against LotR nerds on countless occasions. XD And Maddox's argument against Matrix fans, too.

Anyways, I feel slightly ashamed, as I never got onto Grizim's first post until I read M00n's reply. :lol:
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:20 am

Just a side note; they were talking about the second Death Star that was still under construction when it got destroyed. [/Geek Phase]

The people working on that thing were members of the Empire anyway. Like Vexille said; it's not like they had a bunch of civvies working in that thing. They were all military personnel in the end.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:49 am

Tweeks_Coffee wrote:Just a side note; they were talking about the second Death Star that was still under construction when it got destroyed. [/Geek Phase]

The people working on that thing were members of the Empire anyway. Like Vexille said; it's not like they had a bunch of civvies working in that thing. They were all military personnel in the end.

Yeah, that is true.
Kenny's_Demonic_Spirit

Postby Kenny's_Demonic_Spirit » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:36 am

Okay, since everybody has been saying that most of the people on the Death Star were clones, they all weren't. After order 66 and the Jedi Purge and Rise of the Empire and all that crazy sh*t, the Kamino cloning facility got all f*cked up. Most of the current 501st Stormtroopers were birth-born recruits, though there were a few clones here and there, but mostly humans. And besides, you would destroy something too if it was going to make your homeworld go boom in 15 minutes. (Which was the real case in the Battle of Yavin IV)

And why didn't the Emperor shut up and reprogram the CIS droids to battle and work for the Empire?
This is my sig

Deal with it

Go away, please!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Kenny's_Demonic_Spirit wrote:And why didn't the Emperor shut up and reprogram the CIS droids to battle and work for the Empire?

Because then they'd have to explain how they all went away within 20-some years.

You read it! You can't unread it!
MCkormick2

Postby MCkormick2 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:01 am

Are real men troopers less competent marksmen then clones? I've heard suggestions that they were not well-trained because they did not believe the Rebel Alliance to be that big of a threat, so life in the stormtrooper training facilities must have been a bit more like College years, and less like strict military service, so, I believe there had to be some sort of personal interest in the Death Star by everyone inside it.

It's not about making a living... sure, it may seem cruel, but, when there is an evil empire controlling your galaxy, the correct thing to do is to rebel... Rationalizing and saying you just helped them because you wanted to live a less suffering life is being selfish... On the other hand, I'm not sure if the empire's evil nature was well-known... did the mild-mannered nerf-herder knew the Emperor was a sith? What about Darth Vader?
This is not a sig.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”