Don Imus is an idiot

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm

BSenter wrote:I refer you to episode 1101, and the discussion between Token and Stan.

If you aren't Black, then you don't know what it's like.

And because I'm not black, I'll never know what it's like, and their educating me won't make a difference, because, well, I'm not black.

Seriously, if blacks are going to call Imus racist for using the term "nappy headed hos," then I implore these same black people to stop using it themselves. But they don't. Black rappers constantly use "bitches" and "hos" in their lyrics, but you don't hear black listeners demanding that these terms not be used anymore. You have Stevie Wonder singing

"Looking back on when I
Was a little nappy headed boy"

in "I wish" - those words should be censored in future air play of that song. For them to accuse whites of racism when they tolerate the same phrases amongst themselves smacks of this particular racial Double Standard, which I thought we'd gotten over some 40 years ago.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
hainted

Postby hainted » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:05 am

Good point.If they are going to refer to their own hair as nappy (and who cares, it's just f*ck/i]ucking hair),and to their own women as bitches and hos,and make that a huge part of pop culture then they shouldn't shit their pants because someone repeats that sort of idiotic phraseology.

And like I said it's not just their own women that they call "bitches and hos",it's pretty much all women.

I mean come on.

Black comedians and rappers and actors and athletes and Mtv and Hollywood pretty much have glorified being a pimp and calling women "bitches and hos",and they've also glorified hos and also gang violence,etc.

Somehow I think degrading women is worse than degrading hair.

I mean anyone could have nappy hair.

Albert Einstein had himself some really nappy-ass hair.

E=MC2,no...E = really f*ck/i]ucked hair. :lol:

In fact,if I was Imus I don't think I'd be talking about anybody's hair.

Now that I think about it,both Imus and Michael Richards have pretty nappy-ass hair.
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:08 am

You guys are missing the point. The guy said that this particular team was inferior to the other team, and one of the reasons was because the women were "nappy-headed hos," implying that they were inferior because they were African-American. I'm not saying he should be fired or anything, but I can see that it is very different than "nappy" in the neutral or positive sense, and why people are upset
hainted

Postby hainted » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:29 am

Imus is a nappy headed ho and a dickhole in a cowboy hat.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:49 am

Olivia42 wrote:You guys are missing the point. The guy said that this particular team was inferior to the other team, and one of the reasons was because the women were "nappy-headed hos," implying that they were inferior because they were African-American. I'm not saying he should be fired or anything, but I can see that it is very different than "nappy" in the neutral or positive sense, and why people are upset

Yeah, come on, why did he call them nappy-headed hos in the first place? He had no reason to, and it wasn't funny,it was just kinda rude. And I am not just talking about the racial insults, I am talking about the term ho. He had no reason to say that.

And, about the whole double standard thing, yes, I think the PC movement went to far, and yes I think both black people and white people should be able to make politically incorrect jokes..As long as that is all they are..Jokes.

And, I have seen things on other websites that make me worry a little about the backlash against the PC movement. Namely known racists using the double standard arguement to plant the seeds of racism into anyone who they know is a dumb sheep who thinks they are cool. The PC movement went too far, so can the backlash against it. Basically don't be a sheep.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Olivia42 wrote:You guys are missing the point. The guy said that this particular team was inferior to the other team, and one of the reasons was because the women were "nappy-headed hos," implying that they were inferior because they were African-American.

I'm sure African-Americans have better ways to deal with this than to call racism.

M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:56 pm

I wouldn't really call him racist, but I would say he kind of was making assholish comments, and I don't get why. What does he have against that team? Seriously, I can't think of a good reason for him to make comments like that, but then again, I don't listen to his radio show..Does he say assholish things like that alot?
hainted

Postby hainted » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:56 am

Apparently he does say assholish things like this all the time about all sorts of different people.He's an equal opportunity offender but he is also a shock jock who likes to push the envelope as much as possible with stuff like this in order to give it that "edge" that defines the term shock jock.He's just done this racist crap one too many times it seems.It's supposed to be funny because he is pushing it but when something sounds as clearly racist as this and some of his past comments then people are only left shocked and no one is laughing except for maybe some real racists somewhere.

Ann Coulter is right.He should apologize to those innocent basketball players since that is who he hurt with his words,and stop kissing Jesse Jackson's ass and apologizing to Al Sharpton's balls.

He might also apologize to African Americans in general and stop pretending like Jackson and Sharpton are the co-popes of blackdom.
BSenter

Postby BSenter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:14 am

OK, I'm going to use a series of similes to try and make my point. Bear with me.

First, it is silly to say that "they" are doing anything. People keep writing "they" in reference to black people. "They" say Ho all the time (referring to some rappers). "They" say nappy headed (referring to Stevie Wonder). It is inappropriate to say that these artists (or any other individual) represent a consensus of black people. They don't. Saying that Al Sharpton or Jessee Jackson shouldn't be upset about "nappy headed ho's" because Stevie Wonder and some black Rappers have used those words to describe black people is like saying that the Bill Clinton or Newt Gingrich shouldn't disagree with pro-choice recomendations because George Cloony and M&M have said that pro-choice is OK. The generalization is too broad to have any real meaning.

Second, I think all of the discussion this has generated indicates that there is still some race problem in America. It is easy to say that Brown v. Board of Education or the Civil Rights act of 1964 eliminated the double standard in America, but just declaring that we thing segregation is wrong doesn't end all of the problems it caused. Thinking that a change in laws ended the race problem or the double standard in America is tantamount to saying that a toxic waste site is clean just because we made a law saying that it had to be cleaned up. The process takes time and I don't think we are to the end of it.

Third, there is a lot of history behind any negative response from "they" the black community. We had 90 years of segregation before Brown v. Board of Education, and 100 between the end of slavery and the Civil Rights Act. Before that there was slavery, which is one of the most F'd up things you can imagine if you think about it for a little bit. I bet there are many American's today who have some strange feelings about Communism or the Nazis, which were only issues within a similarly short time frame, so it shouldn't be all that surprising that Black people are touchy about racial comments.

Finally, even though I've disagreed with a lot of what 'hainted' has said during this discussion, I really agree with the post of April 11, 2007 at 5:56 p.m.. Imus should stop kissing Al Sharpton's ass (because Al Sharpton is just one dude who a bunch of people know). He should totally apologize to the Rutgers team that he insulted so pointlessly, and to black people in generally for being such and assh*le and sh*tting on their feelings for no reason.

Regards,

b.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:55 am

Well, MSNBC cancelled Imus' show this evening:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/

"Nappy-haired Hoes". That's the line now? That'll get you fired?

Okay then, good to know.

Attention white people! "Nappy-haired hoes" is now officially the same as calling someone a n*gger. Please make a note of it.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:47 am

triplemultiplex wrote:Well, MSNBC cancelled Imus' show this evening:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/

"Nappy-haired Hoes". That's the line now? That'll get you fired?

Okay then, good to know.

Attention white people! "Nappy-haired hoes" is now officially the same as calling someone a n*gger. Please make a note of it.

Sponsors have a lot to do with that. They began pulling their ads from the show, which means the show began to lose money for MSNBC, and you can't put the show back on if it's gonna lose money, so they fired him.

kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am

Stan and Kyle :)
Olivia42

Postby Olivia42 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Haha, money is the great equalizer. No matter what people say about an issue, the bottom line of right and wrong lies with making or losing money. I love it.

I haven't decided whether or not I'm being facetious. Let's just say I'm amused.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:31 pm

Imus used to work in my home town of Stockton California on an AM station called KJOY. He was fired for a similar reason there about 40 years ago.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:16 pm

He was just fired from CBS Radio (WFAN) which in turn screws all his affiliates. I can see him going to XM with his pals Opie & Anthony (also fired by CBS Radio, but for a reasonable reason)

CBS Radio is a joke with Imus or not. John Hollander and his gang really f*cked things up. And now John is gone.
Stan and Kyle :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”