Virginia Tech Students asking to bring justice to the media!

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:26 am

Robbert123 wrote:Today four bomb attacks killed 183 people in Iraq, including children. The Lancet ( the world’s leading indepented medical journal) published a study online made by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health stating that 1 in 40 of the entire population of Iraq has been killed after its invasion 4 years ago. That’s 666000 peope!

I was given a statistic by a bbs guy that doesn't come on here any more that the best estimate he's seen is that the total death toll (which includes a small amount of Iraq security forces, up to 100,000 civilians, not all dead from US intervention, and over 100,000 terrorists and insurgents) is no more than 250,000. John Hopkins obviously didn't consider the fact that if you do a population count to determine anything, you have to consider that many have left Iraq to flee to other countries, so this statistic seems a bit blown out of proportion. Much like what the left-wing media did with Virginia Tech.

We should make a thread on Media Bias, I thought about doing that but I thought I would just get yelled at by people who think the news is so accurate at portraying the war and it's casualties.

How many were wounded though? 30 people dying from any standard 9mm FMJ in a school shooting isn't something I would expect.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:44 am

Wait, how is the Iraq death toll analogous to the VT shootings? How exactly is the media "left-wing" (and what does that have to do with this anyway)? And what proof do you have that they exaggerated the number of casualties?

I knew people would eventually take this story and try to ride it as their political hobby horse.
FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:51 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:Wait, how is the Iraq death toll analogous to the VT shootings? How exactly is the media "left-wing" (and what does that have to do with this anyway)? And what proof do you have that they exaggerated the number of casualties?

I knew people would eventually take this story and try to ride it as their political hobby horse.

1. A post was made about the Iraq death toll

2. Read the book "Biased," along with any other book by Bernard Goldenberg, the only exception to this rule is Fox News (which has a bias that is something else entirely) and this is totally relevant to this thread considering that it was asking for Trey and Matt to bring justice to the media and there are several other posts that bring up the issue.

3. I explained that in my post. Re-read it, and also go up to the many people coming back from Iraq, ask them if doing population counts will accurately determine death tolls in a place where people have been leaving the country.

4. I don't mean to be rude, but isn't that the exact thing your doing in your post?

Does this answer you questions? :roll:
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:59 am

The "liberal media bias" is bullsh*t, end of story. The media has no liberal or conservative bias. Their primary interests are making money and getting ratings, not taking one political side or another. Among people working in the media, as a whole, you get a fairly even distribution of conservatives, moderates, and liberals. Furthermore, it says a lot when people yell at the media for not looking into the heart of a tragedy, yet they're too busy pointing fingers at the media to do it themselves.
FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:20 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:The "liberal media bias" is bullsh*t, end of story. The media has no liberal or conservative bias. Their primary interests are making money and getting ratings, not taking one political side or another. Among people working in the media, as a whole, you get a fairly even distribution of conservatives, moderates, and liberals. Furthermore, it says a lot when people yell at the media for not looking into the heart of a tragedy, yet they're too busy pointing fingers at the media to do it themselves.

If you're referring to PBS, then I agree with you. But watch MSNBC, or CBS (examples) and then compare it with Fox News. There's a huge difference, one that virtually everyone agrees exists. What gets broadcasted is chosen by a few select people. Do you see any Liberals (not that I don't thinks these terms are a bit loaded) with shows on Fox News? Have you ever seen a right-wing anchorman alongside Kieth Olberman? The media caters to a given audience so they can get viewers, and thus more advertising revenue.
Many people have come forward insisting that the news is slanted to the left (the reason why I recommend the book "Biased"), this applies to the vast majority of news sources out there, the only major exception is Fox News.
No one here blames the media for reporting the issue, but we just wish they would do it in a way that honors the memories of the victims, instead of trying to capitalize from it as much as they can. The student who made this thread obviously didn't want the media to go to the extremes that it did (why the hell would they interview the shooter's mailman, if what one poster says is true?), just for the sake of ad revenue. :x
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:45 am

FreedomFighterXL wrote:If you're referring to PBS, then I agree with you. But watch MSNBC, or CBS (examples) and then compare it with Fox News.

You're comparing those to Fox News? That's kind of a circular argument. Of course people are going to see a difference.
Many people have come forward insisting that the news is slanted to the left (the reason why I recommend the book "Biased"), this applies to the vast majority of news sources out there, the only major exception is Fox News.

Claiming that "some say" or "many people insist" does not make it true. The opinion sample itself could just as easily be biased, in favor of people who buy into the myth.

There are certainly plenty of liberals who believe that conservatives dominate the media, in that conservatives control most cable news networks, along with 95% of talk radio. There are conspiracy theorists who claim that the evil "mainstream media" has been complicit in covering up the crimes of the Bush administration.

This is no different from saying that the media has a liberal bias, because it's missing the point entirely. The media primarily cares about one thing: making money.

http://collegian.ksu.edu/collegian/article.php?a=3340
FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:43 am

Kyle the Skeptic wrote:
FreedomFighterXL wrote:If you're referring to PBS, then I agree with you. But watch MSNBC, or CBS (examples) and then compare it with Fox News.

You're comparing those to Fox News? That's kind of a circular argument. Of course people are going to see a difference.

Claiming that "some say" or "many people insist" does not make it true. The opinion sample itself could just as easily be biased, in favor of people who buy into the myth.

There are certainly plenty of liberals who believe that conservatives dominate the media, in that conservatives control most cable news networks, along with 95% of talk radio. There are conspiracy theorists who claim that the evil "mainstream media" has been complicit in covering up the crimes of the Bush administration.

This is no different from saying that the media has a liberal bias, because it's missing the point entirely. The media primarily cares about one thing: making money.

http://collegian.ksu.edu/collegian/article.php?a=3340

No question Fox News is slanted to the right, and the right does of course dominate the radio. I did mention a book several times though written by man that used to be an anchor for CBS but got fired for writing a column about media bias, and he countlessly used the term left-wing to describe the media. I'm referring only to TV news media, when you count the number of news organizations in favor of left-wing politics (these will generally cast a negative portrayal of gun-ownership, the war, the president, and give applaud to war-protests, gun control, etc.), it completely outnumbers that of Fox News, and any other new organization in favor of a conservative ideology. This is generally done by not only how they cover a story, but what stories they do and don't cover. Not much was said in the media that abortion was linked to breast cancer for instance, this doesn't fit what the targeted audience would like to hear.
But I guess it would be more direct if I just said capitalist media, or something that points out the big picture that they are trying to get viewers for ad revenue for money. That certainly would be a better idea. :idea:
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:58 pm

I'm referring only to TV news media, when you count the number of news organizations in favor of left-wing politics (these will generally cast a negative portrayal of gun-ownership, the war, the president, and give applaud to war-protests, gun control, etc.), it completely outnumbers that of Fox News, and any other new organization in favor of a conservative ideology.

I just showed you how it depends entirely on who you ask. Kerry bashing ran just as rampant during the 2004 elections. (Remember all the coverage given to that "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" group?) Disney, the parent company of ABC, refused to distribute Michael Moore's film. NBC, which is owned by GE, regularly features conservative commentators, including Pat Buchanan. Even CBS, which was in the middle of that Dan Rather scandal, has refused to air ads critical of president Bush.
This is generally done by not only how they cover a story, but what stories they do and don't cover. Not much was said in the media that abortion was linked to breast cancer for instance, this doesn't fit what the targeted audience would like to hear.

The studies initially suggested that there was, but there was no clear link proven between abortion and breast cancer. It's true that pregnancy can lower the risk of cancer, due to the flood of estrogen in the first trimester, which forces cells in the breast to differentiate, thereby reducing their chance of becoming cancer cells. But there is no proof that an abortion or miscarriage increases the risk.

http://www.unmc.edu/wagnerlab/What_is_new/index.html
http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/1995/Feb3_ ... ancer.html
hainted

Postby hainted » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Do you see any Liberals (not that I don't thinks these terms are a bit loaded) with shows on Fox News?

Yeah,Gretta Van Susteren has a show,there's Geraldo at Large and Geraldo's a flaming liberal. :shock:

Colmes is on with Hannity, and Colmes is a typical mentally ill liberal douchebag.

etc-etc-etc
Last edited by hainted on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
aristottlesdeathwish

Postby aristottlesdeathwish » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:26 pm

What I hate is the f*cking paranoia that has been spawned from this event. I wrote a story recently for my creative writing class and it involved a car crash. My teacher asked"Do you really this appropriate in light of recent events?" I said "Do you really think I care? I worked hard on this!" so he sent me down to the office and now everyone thinks I have some sort of anger problem. What makes me really pissed is that this is not the first time this has happened to me. In my multimedia class, my group was forced to take out a fight scene from one of our movies a day after VA Tech. There is no room for creative expression anymore, Its like something out of 1984! :x
"When you do something right, no one knows you have done anything at all"=Futurama
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:13 am

aristottlesdeathwish wrote:What I hate is the f*cking paranoia that has been spawned from this event. I wrote a story recently for my creative writing class and it involved a car crash. My teacher asked"Do you really this appropriate in light of recent events?" I said "Do you really think I care? I worked hard on this!" so he sent me down to the office and now everyone thinks I have some sort of anger problem. What makes me really pissed is that this is not the first time this has happened to me. In my multimedia class, my group was forced to take out a fight scene from one of our movies a day after VA Tech. There is no room for creative expression anymore, Its like something out of 1984! :x

Yeah, that kind of thing tends to happen after tragic events. People try to be sensitive, and not show so much violence and such. On a small scale I could understand it. Like if I had a friend who was tramatized by something violent that happened to them, I wouldn't turn on any of my violent movies when that person came to vist, it would be assholish to. But on a huge scale, it is unfair to make students change projects that way, because they already have worked hard on those things.That is their grades right there, and maybe they don't have time to write something else that is good.That is crap that the teacher thinks what you wrote means you are an angry person, when I was in creative writing, this girl wrote a story about a car crash..It by the way, wasn't interesting, just depressing..But she didn't get in any trouble..No one called her angry. Maybe your teacher just has issues with violent subject matter.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:50 am

Well, I have news that Iraqi students in Baghdad today are deeply saddened by the tragic events at Virginia Tech. Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070423/ap_on_re_mi_ea/virginia_tech_iraq

And to think that Saddam's regime and the post-Saddam era were bad enough... :(
Still the same as it ever was.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 am

I'm glad to know that some people in Iraq don't hate us. I've felt sympathy for the innocent lives lost in Iraq since the war began and I'm glad to see that sympathy being returned. We don't need anymore hate in this world! WE SHOULD LOVE EACH OTHER! So speaketh the John Lennon fan.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:48 am

This just goes to show that we should listen to the Iraqi people more often.

Also, yeah, "Imagine" is one of my favorite songs.
ctpbwig

Episode about VTech

Postby ctpbwig » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am

The events that unfolded at Virginia Tech, as everyone is well aware of, were tragic. But seriously now, do we need to have a f*cking moment of silence held by everyone nationwide for 33 people??? Does anyone have a clue how many people die in America each day??? I don't, and I don't feel it necessary to look up the information, but I'm pretty sure when 33 is compared to it, the 33 looks relatively small. I loved how it was stated that this was the worst school slaughter in American history........ummmm.....what about the Bath, Michigan blow-up fest that occured in 1927??? f*cking dumbass media has no idea how to do simple math. 45 > 33?????? No f*cking way. Not to get me all wrong, I do have sympathy for the victims, but its a very low sympathy. I did not know any of the victims, as the victims did not know me. These people holding moments of silence for the victims is ridiculous, and after "throwing my bones", I might even call it ludicrous. Why do people feel it necessary to let this event linger? Jesus Christ, if my best friend was shot dead at school I wouldn't want a daily reminder in the newspaper about it, espicially people in the middle of BFE. I guess the students that do go to VTech can now all wear T-shirts that say, "I survived the Virginia Tech shootings." Haha. Moving along though, I think I have an idea for a new South Park episode that would be hilarious, well, to the non-pussies of America that can take a f*cking joke.

Have the episode start off with Ms. Garrison finishing up a discussion about school shootings. Go through some mindless Jew rants, that Jews are the reason school shootings happen, etc. Then further along in the episode bring that one Asian kid that was good at Dance Dance Revolution in the episode where Randy got served, and have him bring a paintball gun to school and shoot exactly 33 people. After this have the whole town go in shock, and that one newscaster dude broadcast that it was the worst paintball shooting incident he has ever seen. After this have a viewing of different parts of America like Detroit, Miami, New York, etc. all getting upset over this paintball shooting. After the shootings are made prevelent to all Americans, a widespread black ribbon with South Park is made, and elementary students everywhere are wearing them. A commercial will then be seen with students around the world stating that each student seen in the commercial is a South Park student (like the "I am an American" commercials") . A bunch of students then flock into South Park and began calling themselves students of South Park, to which Stan says "No you're not." The students then argue that they are students of South Park, and Stan replies, "If this didn't happen, you wouldn't know where South Park is.....you stupid douchebags.", and then have Cartman come out and shoot them all with a paintball gun and say, "now you're South Park students bitches!". This is just a rough thought for an episode to make fun of it, as I'm sure theres already something in progress for it. I don't mean any harm towards VTech students, but if you can't laugh about something.......I don't know.......go be a lawyer or something.
When life has you down, theres always beer

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”