Do you have a phobia?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

vexille

Postby vexille » Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 pm

I'm probably going to have some people flaming me for this.

If I have anything like a phobia, its that I get very uncomfortable around deformed people. Whatever the actual condition they're suffering from. If I see them anywhere, I deliberately avoid going near them. I understand they never chose to be this way, but every time I see them, I feel very queasy. I guess that one of my worst nightmares is that any children I have, might be born with a deformity, or be mentally retarded. Not that I have any immediate plans to raise a family. But if it happens, then I don't think I have it in me to look after or rear someone so afflicted. I'm apologetic to anyone who has friends or family that suffer so, but I can't change the way I feel about the whole thing.
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat May 26, 2007 4:32 am

I think there are a few people that feel that way. I fear the baby-arm. Only because I wouldn't know what to do when faced with someone with that affliction.
vexille

Postby vexille » Sat May 26, 2007 9:07 am

Shake them by the hand?
Calix Meus Enebriens "My Cup Makes Me Drunk"
Elrog

Postby Elrog » Sun May 27, 2007 6:29 pm

COCKROACHES!
They. are. icky.
Craig-and-Clyde

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:21 am

I am afraid of silence
I don't think i'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams. And then I always get woken up in the morning by the sound of my own screams. Do you think i'm unhappy?
butters_stoch

Postby butters_stoch » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:12 pm

(from greatest to least)

1:death

2:vomit

3:trucks

4:silence/dark silence

5:faliure

6:rejection
For a good time, call someone who cares
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:22 am

butters_stoch wrote:(from greatest to least)

1:death

2:vomit

3:trucks

4:silence/dark silence

5:faliure

6:rejection

I can see 2-4 as phobias, but aren't the others just fears?
That's how it's down here on the farm!
MaxwellsSilverHammer

Postby MaxwellsSilverHammer » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:55 am

I just recently realised a very strange phobia of mine that I've had for a while:

music or voices being played backwards.

I don't know why I'm so freaked out by it. I mean, I'm an artist; I'm open to new ideas and everything, and I like things that are considered weird or eccentric. But if I hear something like Revolution 9 by The Beatles.. it just gives me a creeped-out feeling for the rest of the day. It's like.. it's INTERESTING, but hearing the actual thing really bothers me. I don't know.. I'm strange. *shrug*
Ich bin über alles.
SoundClick [35 pieces // last update: 07.03.09]
Athena1999

Postby Athena1999 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 am

Besides my obvious fear of wasps, I'm also claustrophobic and have a phobia of heights.

Some of my childhood fears were pretty irrational, and believe me, I had some weirdos. Like any art where the people's faces were distorted and weirdly-coloured. Believe me, it's traumatizing as a kid to see faces like that. Was also pretty afraid of skeletons (even the word "skeleton" was terrifying XDDD) and elevators.

Oh yeah, and those old logos/idents that were tagged at the end of older TV shows terrified the piss out of me as a kid. You know, the ones where super-bright shapes are plastered against the black backgrounds with that God-awful synth music and evil voices playing in the background? That PBS splitting head thing and the flashing WGBH sign were the worst. XD

In psychology class today, we spent a couple of hours discussing phobias and watching movies on how to extinguish them. One of the movies showed a virtual reality of the view of a person standing on three different bridges, each higher up on a cliff. I swear, when it showed a rickety wooden bridge crossing a virtual Grand Canyon, my palms just started sweating and I began freaking out. :/ Same thing happened when my professor was talking about a friend whose army training involved getting locked in a coffin. *shivers*
Craig-and-Clyde

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:17 am

I find the future mildy fightening. I just graduated and now my whole life is in front of me, what to do...
I don't think i'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams. And then I always get woken up in the morning by the sound of my own screams. Do you think i'm unhappy?
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:44 am

I hate bees. No joke, those things f*cking scare me. I had bad experiences as a child. Well, I don't "hate" them...but...you know what I mean. :P
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Thrawny

Postby Thrawny » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:22 am

I am scared to DEATH of cockroaches and beatles in general.
I am mildy scared of heights. An example would be standing say on top of a 50 foot tower with nothing around me. I am also mildly clausterphobic(sp?). I can also be a bit crazy when ever I come into contact with raw meat. I will constantly wash my hands after I touch raw meat before I touch anything else.
--------------------

Thrawny
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:08 pm

For a good while I was once scared of that big f*cking electric eal thingy in the Dire Dire Docks level in Super Mario 64, and even more afraid of the Killer Piano in the Haunted House level, back when I was like 9. XD
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
butters_stoch

Postby butters_stoch » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:48 pm

i fogot huge heights, melting face pictures, subliminal messages, food poisoning (having to do with vomit), hospital shows, karma,
"The Eye's Anatomy", and justin timberlake.

i also have a phobia of faliure, Thysforobia. :o
For a good time, call someone who cares
Craig-and-Clyde

Postby Craig-and-Clyde » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:57 pm

I have the phobia to have all the phobias I want...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”