Do you have a phobia?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:43 am

Jay C wrote:
pull my thumb wrote:I hate the show for that reason, and also a few other annoying characters, including Timmy Turner.

Click.

:P

I don't get people's fear of spiders [Although I can't say much, regarding my fears. :B]. My cousin is absolutely terrified of them, so I like picking them up and throwing them at her. XD

A phobia is an ingrown fear of something for little or no reason. I have no REASON to fear them, but I start hyperventilating if I see one making it's way down from the wall towards it's face. Then I kill it, run around like a lunatic, and start slapping anything that itches.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Sizzling Lynn

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:35 pm

iceiwynd wrote:Though my biggest fear is a slightly more rational one in that I'm terrified of rejection/being made an idiot out of/failure, so as a result I tend to stay rather quiet 'cause I can't get over it. @_@

I know how that is. I've always had that fear. The fear I haven't had most my life is my fear of water. During the summer of 2006 I had a break down and lost control of myself. I live close to the Red river and..let's just say I almost drowned.
FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:57 am

I know someone is going to laugh at this, but I actually saw this picture of Carmen Electra with Dave Navarro and she had this odd expression on her face. I really froze for a second because to be honest it was the same expression I would have if I were about to stab someone... :shock:
Kennyrox666

Postby Kennyrox666 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Much as I hate to admit it, I'm scared of spiders and I don't understand why, so I like to scare myself and torture them. It's only spiders though, the other bugs don't creep me out at all. I dont' get it.
Ok, who stold my stuff...?
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:12 pm

I don't get it. What's so scary about spiders?
Email notifications do matter, people.
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:35 pm

You'd think I'd be scareder of ants than I am considering I once sat in an antbed when I was a kid, but I'm not that scared of them--hell, for years, I continued to step on antbeds and watch them scatter. I was scared of them within reason in that I didn't want them on me, but I'm not as scared of them as I am of bees. Maybe it's that My Girl movie that my sister used to watch when she was a kid that got me scared of bees; one kid in the movie who's allergic to bees gets attacked by a swarm and dies.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:11 pm

albino.black.sheep wrote:I don't get it. What's so scary about spiders?

Nothing at first. However, when I see one, I start to go silent and I focus on it while sweating. If I lose track of it or it jumps, I will go batshit insane. Why am I afraid? No clue.

Hence
PHOBIA. :lol:
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Mosquitoes are about a million times more likely to kill you (or make you sick) than spiders. Also, unlike spiders, they'll actively prey on humans if humans are the only thing available. I don't have a phobia of mosquitoes though, since my reasons for hating them are reasonable. I do try to kill them on sight, of course.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 pm

In North America, the animal most likely to kill you is actually the White-tailed Deer. That's right, Bambi's a f*ckin' serial killer. They're the most dangerous because people collide with them/avoid colliding with them in their vehicles and end up dead. They kill more people in this country than all the spiders, bees, ants, sharks, bears, snakes, mountain lions, and hairy-ass centipede things combined.

You read it! You can't unread it!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 pm

:o Those dicks! I believe it though. I've gotten sideways in my car before trying to avoid a f*cking deer.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:43 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:

Nothing at first. However, when I see one, I start to go silent and I focus on it while sweating. If I lose track of it or it jumps, I will go batshit insane. Why am I afraid? No clue.

Hence

Yes, I know the definition of phobia.

People have phobias of anything, picking one from the air, like the number 13. Except not as many people are as scared of the number 13 as they are of spiders, but triskaidekaphobia stems from the dark ages when people were unnaturally susperstitious, and has been passed on through the generations. Therefore we can only assume that most people have since the dawn of time had something embedded on their self-conscious telling them to be afraid of spiders. Why is arachnophobia more common than triskaidekaphobia?
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:44 pm

albino.black.sheep wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:

Hence

People have phobias of anything, picking one from the air, like the number 13. Except not as many people are as scared of the number 13 as they are of spiders, but triskaidekaphobia stems from the dark ages when people were unnaturally susperstitious, and has been passed on through the generations. Therefore we can only assume that most people have since the dawn of time had something embedded on their self-conscious telling them to be afraid of spiders. Why is arachnophobia more common than triskaidekaphobia?

Hmm, maybe because spiders can kill you, even if it's rather rare? I dunno.
albino.black.sheep

Postby albino.black.sheep » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 pm

ShaneHaughey wrote:
albino.black.sheep wrote:
ShaneHaughey wrote:

Hence

Hmm, maybe because spiders can kill you, even if it's rather rare? I dunno.

How many times have you seen a Northern Funnel Spider sitting in your bath? :lol:

I've just been told by my arachnophobic brother, that he fears spiders because the legs creep him out. Anyone else share that?
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:58 pm

The legs are kinda creepy I suppose. The only viable thing that gets to me is the silence. They can be having a big happy spider fuckparty right behind your head and you'd have no clue.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Me. Especially if they're hairy.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”