Fox's "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

FreedomFighterXL

Fox's "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:11 am

This is one show that I honestly can't say I like, but can't help but find myself watching it. It's nerve racking and entertaining, but it's a bit of an insult towards 5th graders, saying that their so stupid you should be smarter. Another thing I've noticed is that the grade curriculum doesn't seem very accurate. I never remember having to learn the capital of Switzerland in elementary, and I didn't learn (in class, I knew what they were) what negative numbers were until 6th grade.

This is a cool show, but to me has some rough spots, what do you guys think :?:
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:04 am

No, no, it's not saying that the 5th graders are stupid. It's saying that the adults are stupid. Those 5th graders come across as pretty sharp, and I don't see how the show was intended to portray them any other way. I love the whole concept, and I like watching stupid adults screw up on ridiculously easy questions.

Plus, the theme of the show is something you often see on South Park.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:44 am

I've never seen it. I think FOX airs it in the same time slot as Deadliest Catch over on Discovery. Other stations don't exist during a new episode of Deadliest Catch.

It seems like an interesting concept for a show, however. Because I'm sure we all know people who are definately dumber than a 5th grader. I do.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Clyde Donovan

Postby Clyde Donovan » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:45 am

i can't take that damn theme song. Oh it's so Awful.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:54 am

I never watched this game show myself, but I heard a radio show list some questions lifted from it. I answered almost all of them within a second or two, in much less time than it took the people on the radio to do so. 8)

Every step back a step foward.
Every failure an extra opportunity for success.
Every day of defeat a victory!
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:48 am

I have seen the commercials for it..Interesting idea for a show, but not interesting enough to get me to actually watch it.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:25 am

O'Brien wrote:I never watched this game show myself, but I heard a radio show list some questions lifted from it. I answered almost all of them within a second or two, in much less time than it took the people on the radio to do so. 8)

Same here. The radio segment is called "Are you smarter than a stupid fifth grader?"

It's not that fifth graders are actually stupid, but that adults should be smarter than fifth graders, and boy, you can tell how much adults forget since fifth grade. :D
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
deathandecay

Postby deathandecay » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:31 am

There's a show called "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:51 am

Sounds like a good premise for an SP ep. "Are you smarter than a 4th grader!" Which would undoubtedly be a gigantic "sh*t no." all the way across the board.
HellStrykeXL

Postby HellStrykeXL » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:09 pm

I sure wish I had a better TV tuner on the notebook my chalk uses.

Seems like Fox will gain success from just about anything. :lol:

This is one of the odd things about coming back for a while. Everything seems a bit different from how you last remember it, in terms of TV shows and the like.
ShaneHaughey wrote:
Sizzling Lynn wrote:A guy in my grade eleven Bio class last year was dared to lick a rat's balls and he went along with it...is that considered manly?

No, that is the opposite of manly.
Kyle's_Marklar

Postby Kyle's_Marklar » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:38 am

That show is BS. The questions are ridiculously harder than anything a 5th grader would know. Those fifth graders there that answer questions along with the contestant are either told the answer before the show or are child geniuses.
Remember... the more posts you have, the bigger your penis is!
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Kyle's_Marklar wrote:That show is BS. The questions are ridiculously harder than anything a 5th grader would know. Those fifth graders there that answer questions along with the contestant are either told the answer before the show or are child geniuses.

So what are some examples of questions they've used that only a 'genius 5th grader' would know?

I've never seen the show and I want to make sure you're not just rationalizing not being able to answer the show's title with a definative "yes".

You read it! You can't unread it!
Elrog

Postby Elrog » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Yo! Hey! Fifth Grader over here! I saw the show I few times and there is nothing a stupid fifth grader couldn't answer. I was laughing at how idiotic the adults were. I saw the episode were they ask the question 'If two sides of a triangle are 1 degree then how much must the third be.' If we had things that easy I would ace every test instead of blah-ing every test. They do get rather smart RATHER smart fifth graders and idiot adults but most things on there are things you don't atually need to know. Fourth Grade questions that are useless to you in the long run.
Cartman_91

Postby Cartman_91 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:27 pm

I love that show, not only is it a good game show... it's funny. Jeff Foxworthy is hilarious and you can win a ton of money and it just has a good vibe. The only game show i like more as of now would be deal or no deal.
IneedBoutTREEFIDDY

Postby IneedBoutTREEFIDDY » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:28 pm

You can't tell me that in fifth grade you knew the capital of Switzerland, What REM stands for, or which US president was a lawyer for the Brits on trial for the Boston Massacre. If you did, I applaud you.
Setting the standard since 1852

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”