Fox's "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Sizzling Lynn

Postby Sizzling Lynn » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:02 pm

I've never seen this show, and I don't plan to.
Kyle the Skeptic

Postby Kyle the Skeptic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:52 am

IneedBoutTREEFIDDY wrote:You can't tell me that in fifth grade you knew the capital of Switzerland, What REM stands for, or which US president was a lawyer for the Brits on trial for the Boston Massacre. If you did, I applaud you.

Well, some of the questions can be on the tough side. With the third one you mentioned, not even the 5th graders on the show knew it. However, most of the rest of the questions, especially science related ones, were things I've known since I was 6. I don't necessarily think the questions are unfair. The contestants ARE adults, after all.
FreedomFighterXL

Postby FreedomFighterXL » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:36 pm

I think we can all agree on this:

Many (not all) of the questions aren't found in today's fifth grade curriculum.

Being in JROTC, I volunteer at a local elementary school and see what they should know. Just for the hell of it, I asked them some of the questions I see on the show. They were fifth graders, but only a few of them knew what a negative number was, and a couple of them could add or subtract them in their head (they insisted they learned this on their own). The same goes for what you call a female sheep. Or what a pronoun was (I knew that one off the bat, but only because I recently had to study them :roll:).

I think we can also say for sure that much of what we learned in grade school doesn't really affect us today. You don't need to know the capital of Switzerland (or was it Sweden?) to make it at life.

Nonetheless, this is a gripping show indeed, far more than what Millionaire gave us, simply because not only is it a high stakes show, but it isn't supposed to be that difficult either. :lol:
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue May 01, 2007 10:52 pm

I'm suddenly reminded of this joke from a Calvin & Hobbes comic strip:

"Hobbes, what's a pronoun?"

"A noun that's lost it's ametuer status?"

You read it! You can't unread it!
SouthParkMaster66

Postby SouthParkMaster66 » Sat May 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Kyle's_Marklar wrote:That show is BS. The questions are ridiculously harder than anything a 5th grader would know. Those fifth graders there that answer questions along with the contestant are either told the answer before the show or are child geniuses.

Yeah, and the questions for the younger grades like grade 1 are even harder than anything I learned in grade 1. I'm pretty sure in grade 1 I finger painted and played with lego.

But I've seen the show a couple times, it's not bad. It's kind of entertaining watching the adults get pissed off.
This is a misfits rejection of a life in submission

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”